Northwest (1-0)
Portsmouth Notre Dame (0-1)
Manchester (0-2)
Westfall
Huntington (0-2)
Miller (0-2)
Eastern Pike (0-2)
Portsmouth East
Last edited by pfloyd on Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week 1.5

Post by 93Bulldog »

Sheeeesh

Elite 8 came out early this week.

I personally don't see how Warren is not the best team in Southeast Ohio right now. I would have them #1. This years Warriors team is very comparable to their Final 4 team, IMO. Maybe not with the "star power" of an Evan French and their forwards may not be as quick as Patton - but overall depth and overall size is better and bigger than the 2012/2013 Warren squad.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Nice work

I believe Hillsboro, Minford, North Adams, Gallia Academy, Lynchburg Clay, Whiteoak should all be a bit higher up.

Chesapeake, South Webster and Circleville all seem too high.

Let the games play out!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Gallia is (1-1) Floyd.

Beat Meigs, lost to Athens.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:37 am Nice work

I believe Hillsboro, Minford, North Adams, Gallia Academy, Lynchburg Clay, Whiteoak should all be a bit higher up.

Chesapeake, South Webster and Circleville all seem too high.

Let the games play out!
I would have the Blue Devils somewhere in this range:

Lucasville Valley (1-1)
Greenfield McClain (2-1)
Vinton County (0-1)
Belpre (1-1)
Alexander

... There will be nights when the opposing team (i.e. Meigs) has no answer for the big guy, he is a 6'8 300lb lefty. Athens had a pretty good defense designed to pressure the perimeter and deny the entry pass - and they had 6'5 Derek Welch who at least could hold his ground a little bit vs Clary. But even with Clary having a sub par game (10 pts, 11 reboounds) Athens still won by just 2 pts 42-40 ... If you DON'T have someone in the paint, a formidable foe to put a body on him, he will get 20/10 with relative ease. (vs Meigs 20 points exactly and 10 rebounds).

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

I92 gonna fault us for winning games 🥱

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:15 am I92 gonna fault us for winning games 🥱
No..I just think he has you a touch too high for winning games.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Don’t make me go Trojandave on you

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:00 am Don’t make me go Trojandave on you
That seriously made me laugh out loud . :lol:

Post by pfloyd »

93Bulldog wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:41 am Gallia is (1-1) Floyd.

... I even watched THAT game 93dog - the Gallia beating Meigs AND still didn't give them the W (smh) ... thanks for keeping me straight I AM getting OLDER, WILL MISS THINGS and/or forget things ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:45 am
93Bulldog wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:41 am Gallia is (1-1) Floyd.

... I even watched THAT game 93dog - the Gallia beating Meigs AND still didn't give them the W (smh) ... thanks for keeping me straight I AM getting OLDER, WILL MISS THINGS and/or forget things ...
Pretty sure it's gonna cost you $19.95 to watch Warren games now until they are placed at the top. Not my decision, better call your boy Maddox to see if you can reach a deal. Lol

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:00 am Don’t make me go Trojandave on you
You already had that feel and after reading your post I felt a Jeepdave joke coming

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Tri-StateYouthSports wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:19 am
That seriously made me laugh out loud . :lol:
I thought you were a robot!

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:08 pm
You already had that feel and after reading your post I felt a Jeepdave joke coming
Take a look at our trophy case from 15 years ago and then reevaluate. You can PM your apology to my inbox 😂😂😂

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:05 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:08 pm
Take a look at our trophy case from 15 years ago and then reevaluate. You can PM your apology to my inbox 😂😂😂
Solid post. PM me your first name...it’s getting close!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... a good first 1.5 week of hoops !!! the NOT being AT games is killing me !!! just ask TSYS - I sent him a pm and it was at least 2 chapters long ! - all things I would be talking to real people about AT games - I sure miss the "folks" ! - players, players families, Coaches, radio guys, SEOPsters , fans - I miss the people, the atmosphere of high school hoops - just don't get that in a video BUT it is what it is ! It's better than NOT HAVING GAMES ! ...

I've watched 18 teams play so far ! some multiple games - South Webster 3 times, Fairland both games, Meigs 2x's, Athens 2 times etc. ... I've watched my top 3 teams this past 1.5 weeks Warren vs Athens, Fairland vs Piketon/Zane Trace, Logan Elm vs Bloom Carroll - they ALL are deserving their rankings - outstanding ball clubs with outstanding Head Coaches and Staffs ... they are ALL 3 different TEAMS, different make-ups EXCEPT for 1 common trait - they ALL 3 play Defense ... they all have the ability to pressure on the perimeter full court/half court/in man to man D ...

Fairland ... Head coach Coach Speed has the same cast of characters - Jacob Polcyn, Aiden Porter, Gavin Hunt, Jordan Williams, Clayton Thomas with the first 2 off the bench - Zander Schmidt and Nate Thacker ... when I think of any Fairland team from past to present what comes to mind is stingy man to man D, transition scoring out of the defense, great perimeter shooters, excellent passing, pushing the ball when available, interior passing ... this years team of Dragons have done it their way last year and so far this season ... Polcyn - THE best passing post player in SEO ... scores inside off the pick & roll ... rebounds the ball at both ends, solid in the full court, 3/4 court, half court D manning the middle ... can score inside and step out for the 3 at the top of the key ... Aiden Porter (jr) does it all - quickness at both ends of the floor ... gets to the rim, breaks down defenses with his quickness, knocks down the 3 and is a lock down defender (see the 2020 Beasts of the Southeast vs Waverly & Trey Robertson) ... Gavin Hunt brings quickness on the perimeter, is a garbage scorer getting all of the loose balls at both ends, is a major cog in the transition game for FHS ... Jordan Williams - the unsung semi big man for the Dragons - JW rebounds, plays vs the big 4 man vs opponents, can bring the ball down court taking the pressure off of the guards for FHS ... makes good decisions with the ball on offense finding the scorers on the perimeter ... Williams CAN BE the one player who CAN make Fairland even better than last season - IF he gets more involved in the scoring ... Clayton Thomas is the guy - he makes the offense work/ensures that the offense is moving in rhythm ... C is a golfer - a D1 college recruit on the links - he understands the importance of keeping your cool, not getting too high or too low but keeping the same expression no matter the situation ... C is within range when he crosses half court (knocked down 6 treys vs Piketon in the opener) ... he is THE best passing guard in SEO, no one passes the ball better, sees the floor better (the WHOLE floor) than Thomas ... passing into the post, baseline, or finding a teammate diving to the rim from the foul line in the pick and roll - none better all while taking care of the ball on the perimeter ... off the bench - Zander Schmidt (instant O and quickness on the perimeter/transition game) ... Nate Thacker (6-5 sr) has been a pleasant surprise from the perimeter (3 straight triples vs Piketon from downtown) ... at 6-5 his size down low is a major asset ... Fairland sits at the top of the rankings, it will take a SEO team to beat them to shake them loose from #1 ...

Logan Elm ... storied coach - Coach Stiverson - storied program at Logan Elm ... another team which ended the season without a loss sending them home as LE was prepared to take on Byesville Meadowbrook in the first round of Regional action before Covid shutdown the season for everyone ... LE sports 4 starters who have been on our napkin stat sheets the last 3 years going on 4 as starters -Jeremy Wietlemann, Isaac Ward, Jason Sailor, Gabe Chalfin ... the #5 has rotated out due to graduation in the same stretch of time but the 4 amigos have been a constant - consistency brings stability as we all know what we get when they are on the floor - hard nose man to man D, perimeter scoring, outstanding ball handling, transition offense, players who can ALL handle the ball - they're all guards pg/sg on any team ... watched 3 quarters of Saturday night's game vs BC - total control by LE led offensively by Isaac Ward's 22 points in the 3 qtrs I was able to watch (the live stream didn't start until the 2nd qtr) ... everyone shoots the 3, everyone can knockdown the 3 ... everyone play D - they ALL make you pay as you try to get from point A to point B on the floor as they as a TEAM beat you up physically with their bodies defensively - all legal , ALL great D imo) ... off the bench this season Braylon Baker, Trace Smith, Tanner Holbert, Xavier Kellough ... hard to pressure LE with so many guards on the floor ... the goal defensively for LE is always to hold opponents to under 50 points per game ... LE is 2-0 giving up 44.5 ppg ... game on ...

Warren ... Coach Maddox has his TEAM in together - the TEAM he hoped to put on the floor LAST season with Seth Dennis as the QB/PG is finally there ... no retooling a week before the season started as last season ... no putting players in positions that they were not familiar playing or taking on roles they weren't comfortable filling ... the pieces are ALL in place - players can play their roles - the scorers CAN score, the bigs can be BIGS, everyone can do their jobs and not feel like they have to do more to make up for not having a key piece of the puzzle on the floor ... it shows! the bigs are playing as BIGS - getting into positions on the floor to score - the ball comes to them - they don't have to put the ball on the floor to GET where they can score - they can catch and go up as bigs - to the rim ... the bigs can be in position defensively - resulting in boards which turn into transition goals (12 points in transition vs Athens) ... lockdown defenders (Chevalier) can be a LOCK DOWN defender - perimeter D now starts the transition offense again ...the perimeter D forced 24 Athens turnovers in the opening game ... Warren has size to spare - Jake Baumgard (a thick/strong 6-5 lefty) , Joel Chevalier (6-3 lockdown defender), Kurt Taylor (6-4 big with the ability to drain the 3 ball - had 4 treys vs Athens), Josh Welch (6-4 yet to play this season - scores, defends, rebounds) & Brayden Sallee (6-4 junior can average a double double anytime he steps on the floor, plays above the rim, rebounds on the offensive/defensive ends/ a nightmare to guard as he can shoot the 3 as well) ... Seth Dennis at pg/sg/QB - makes the machine run ... he had 8 points in the opener, 6 assists ... he will get better as he gets back into hoops shape ... the TEAM has the most room to improve from the beginning of the season to after New Years to the Post Season ... the potential is there to get to regional play with so many parts (the Warriors can go 8-10 deep ) they have size, inside game, outside game, man to man D, transition game, and they have just as both Fairland/Logan Elm have - outstanding head coaches & coaching staffs ...

... these are the teams everyone will chase all season ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Is mattash going to do the "Standings" this season? , keeping track of the records for the teams? last season we had the nightly game schedules as well? not happening this 2020-21 season? - asking for a friend ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:59 pm Is mattash going to do the "Standings" this season? , keeping track of the records for the teams? last season we had the nightly game schedules as well? not happening this 2020-21 season? - asking for a friend ...
I think we are back to the old days....hopefully the 12 regulars on here can help keep you straight. Would be great if the 200 readers that don’t post would chip in some.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:40 pm
pfloyd wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:59 pm Is mattash going to do the "Standings" this season? , keeping track of the records for the teams? last season we had the nightly game schedules as well? not happening this 2020-21 season? - asking for a friend ...
I think we are back to the old days....hopefully the 12 regulars on here can help keep you straight. Would be great if the 200 readers that don’t post would chip in some.
Don’t worry. If Unioto stays under .500 for long they’ll be back out

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

mlittle wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:52 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:40 pm
Don’t worry. If Unioto stays under .500 for long they’ll be back out
Those 5 Piketon people aren’t really who I was speaking of

Return to “Boys Basketball”