JV & Freshman Basketball

PVBearcat2012
Freshman Team

JV & Freshman Basketball

Post by PVBearcat2012 »

Thought this might be an interesting discussion topic.

I have noticed over the last few years that a lot of student-athletes do not want to play on the JV or freshman team and that it has become somewhat of a taboo, especially once they get to be a Junior that might play some JV. I was just wondering what some of your guys thoughts were on this culture change and what you think schools can do to improve this, as playing on these teams is vital to the development of future varsity players AND they learn just as important of life lessons through these teams as they would playing on the Varsity team.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Re: JV & Freshman Basketball

Post by BigBlueNation »

I don't think they should have a choice. If the coach says your playing jv then your playing.

PistolPete7
Freshman Team

Post by PistolPete7 »

I've never understood why some coaches will 'dress" a kid Varsity and only play him one or two quarters. Game after game after game. Let the kid play two or three jv quarters as well.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

PistolPete7 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:57 pm I've never understood why some coaches will 'dress" a kid Varsity and only play him one or two quarters. Game after game after game. Let the kid play two or three jv quarters as well.
I agree, i think it ends up wasting the kids year.

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

This years increase from 5 qtrs a day to 6 may help this.

Post by mlittle »

PVBearcat2012 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:52 am Thought this might be an interesting discussion topic.

I have noticed over the last few years that a lot of student-athletes do not want to play on the JV or freshman team and that it has become somewhat of a taboo, especially once they get to be a Junior that might play some JV. I was just wondering what some of your guys thoughts were on this culture change and what you think schools can do to improve this, as playing on these teams is vital to the development of future varsity players AND they learn just as important of life lessons through these teams as they would playing on the Varsity team.
I don’t necessarily think kids don’t want to or it’s taboo. I believe players are just evolving and are more varsity ready at younger ages and also open minded coaches who will play the younger players if they’re ready not like years prior.

That being said I think it’s a culture thing. If a kid isn’t ready for varsity and the culture around is good and the coaches are setting proper expectations and communicating to the players then it shouldn’t be a problem at all for a kid to play JV. Most kids just want to play and get better. If a kid has a problem with JV then it’s probably the parents having more issue than the actual kid.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

PistolPete7 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:57 pm I've never understood why some coaches will 'dress" a kid Varsity and only play him one or two quarters. Game after game after game. Let the kid play two or three jv quarters as well.
My kid played varsity as a freshman and even started several games. Mid season his minutes started dropping and he was playing the equivalent of about a quarter a night. That wasn’t gonna work for us so I had him talk to the coach about playing some JV. For a few JV games he was getting a quarter a night. Still wasn’t enough in my opinion but at least he was getting more pt. But it ended up working out. We moved to unioto. Lol

Marauders19
Freshman Team

Post by Marauders19 »

I bet your kid has your genetics .. probably not very athletic and definitely not tough mentally. Teaching kids to complain and run is not the answer..

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Marauders19 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:12 am I bet your kid has your genetics .. probably not very athletic and definitely not tough mentally. Teaching kids to complain and run is not the answer..
He’s definitely a chip off the old block

SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

Heard speculation that interaction between JV and Varsity may be frowned on by the OHSAA or certain school districts this year. This will really hurt fringe varsity kids that only get a quarter of varsity PT and rely on JV for time. It could also make it difficult for alot of teams to field JV

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

SWHITE2002 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:00 pm Heard speculation that interaction between JV and Varsity may be frowned on by the OHSAA or certain school districts this year. This will really hurt fringe varsity kids that only get a quarter of varsity PT and rely on JV for time. It could also make it difficult for alot of teams to field JV
It’s strange because the freshman JV and varsity all go to school together during the day

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

And usually practice together, at least jv and varsity typically do.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

This is a very tricky virus

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

I think parents, more often than not, are the driving force behind a kid not wanting to play JV. In the age of "daddy travel ball", kids are told at a young age just how great they are, and when they find out they aren't that good, they'd rather just quit instead of putting in the extra work.

I think it's less of an issue in established programs, but in programs where kids have seen Freshman play varsity out of necessity, they think it's a right instead of an honor.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Northwest has 3 freshman that's going to play some Varsity this season. Hopefully they get to see as much time as possible Jv and Varsity. In my opinion the more basketball than can play the better.

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

I know Southeastern had kids play JV and start Varsity last year, making sure they used all 5 quarters.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

I can see playing jv and then dressing varsity, then being used at the end of the game or whatever. But to start varsity? And still play jv too? Why?

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

transplant wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:55 pm I can see playing jv and then dressing varsity, then being used at the end of the game or whatever. But to start varsity? And still play jv too? Why?
Development.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Playing 1 quarter of jv and then starting varsity is development? If they are good enough to start varsity, no sense in messing with playing 1 quarter of JV. Players develop in the off season.

shoelace
JV Team

Post by shoelace »

transplant wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:41 am Playing 1 quarter of jv and then starting varsity is development? If they are good enough to start varsity, no sense in messing with playing 1 quarter of JV. Players develop in the off season.
Agree if your good enough to play up than play up! But dont waste a kid by bringing them up and sitting them.

Return to “Boys Basketball”