Fairland 51 Chesapeake 34 a final ... AND Pfloyd's pregame cable interview

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Fairland 51 Chesapeake 34 a final ... AND Pfloyd's pregame cable interview

Post by pfloyd »

Fairland 51
Chesapeake 34 a final ..

... with THAT loss the Dragons definitely opened the door for "?'s" and the OVC Chp ... last year I drove to Fairland to watch this matchup , thought it would be a close contest ... Fairland won that one going away 61-40 over the Panthers ... 2 teams tonight which play D, both can shoot the 3 ball with multiple (4-5) players being able to hit from downtown, both teams have 5+ players who are "comfortable" scoring the ball & will hit in double figures ... the Peake may be deeper off the bench, both have that coach on the floor - Clayton Thomas for Fairland, Levi Blankenship for the Peake ... both push the ball in transition , BOTH teams have outstanding coaching staffs led by Coach Speed for the Dragons/Coach Davis for the Panthers ... going to come down to which defensively can effectively take away something/someone from their opponent offensively - with that done , how does the rest of the TEAM react ? do they struggle offensively or will the rest of TEAM take up the slack & STILL get it done ...

That was the pfloyd post PRIOR to last night game between then two 10-1 teams sitting atop the OVC ... I like to at least THINK I know what I'm talking about so I always take a look at what I say vs what I see in a matchup ... last night's contest on paper should have been a dandy - 2 of the best in SEOhio going at it for the lead in one of the better leagues in Southern/SouthEast Ohio the OVC ...

"... 2 teams tonight which play D, ..." ... Fairland shot 30% from the field / 33% from 3 point range (7/22) ... the Peake shot 17% fg's and only 9% from behind the arc 2/21 ... both defenses got after it from the opening tip FHS held CHS to 2 fgs in the first 16 minutes of play ... if you dig a little deeper on the napkin stat sheet Chesapeake had 3 fgs in first 22 minutes 18 second of game clock if you are Fairland - can't play better D ... flip it to the Peake - we had 4 fgs in 3 quarters of play BUT "WE are STILL in the game ! trailing 18-30 after 3 quarters!" ... excellent defensive efforts by BOTH teams

" ... both can shoot the 3 ball with multiple (4-5) players being able to hit from downtown, both teams have 5+ players who are "comfortable" scoring the ball & will hit in double figures " ... obviously the Panthers going 2/21 from the 3 point line wasn't foreseen by many ... Travis Grim/Dilen Caldwell each 1 triple BOTH off the bench for Coach Davis ... Chesapeake's starters , including the outstanding PG Levi Blankenship were 0 for 19 from downtown for the game ... Fairland who normally puts up 20-22 treys per game , on the season hitting on 9+ per game were not that far off their average as the Dragons hit 7 treys with the usual cast of characters Clayton Thomas (3)/Nate Thacker off the bench (2), Zander Schmidt (1), Jacob Polcyn (1) ...

"...both push the ball in transition ... " ... might be the biggest side effect of the defensive efforts that "hurt" Chesapeake more than Fairland imo ... the Panthers WANT to push the ball, NEED to push the ball, NEED to get transition buckets - when I look at past games, I look at the scoring stats after the games and you find 3-4 players in double digit scoring, with 2-3 more with 8 or 9 points ... in my mind this tells me that they were ABLE to get in transition, everyone out in transition means a lot of players are going to score the ball ... last night Fairland's defensive quickness kept Chesapeake from pushing the ball ... Fairland CAN push it, WILL push it , WILL find a player on the back side of the D with a long pass but they PLAY a half court game, thrive on a half court game ... not being able to push the ball hurt Chesapeake more last as players who normally are on the napkin stat sheets with points - weren't ... last night the Peake had only one player in double figures (Levi Blankenship 11 pts) ... CHS had 1 fg in transition even though they were able to turn Fairland over 15 times in the game ...

"...going to come down to which defensively can effectively take away something/someone from their opponent offensively - with that done , how does the rest of the TEAM react ? do they struggle offensively or will the rest of TEAM take up the slack & STILL get it done ..." ... Fairland effectively "took away" Chesapeake's most effective offensive weapon - the transition game ... which effectively shutdown 2-3 players from contributing on the scoreboard ... throw in shutting down THE first option offensively for CHS in Levi Blankenship - and that's a tough call saying that they shut him down defensively as he just may have had an off night from behind the arc ... as the whole Peake Team could not hit a perimeter shot ... the Peake did not have an inside presence the entire game getting 0 putbacks offensively for the game - one and done on the offensive end ... Fairland wasn't any better only 1 putback basket ...

"...last year I drove to Fairland to watch this matchup , thought it would be a close contest ... Fairland won that one going away 61-40 over the Panthers ..." ... I ALWAYS enjoy my trips to the river ... 216 miles round trip ... 4 hours on the road ... totally worth it as I get to run into good people - peake71 good to see you last night , a nice 20 min chat with Coach Davis before the JV game talking hoops, his team, life - Coach IS one of the best ... Coach Salyers who I have been acquainted with since his playing days at Fairland ... the parents of players past and present - Mr. Van Horn thanks for stopping up and saying hello ... got to put some faces with some more seops posters/readers thank you all for letting me know that 1) you read my stuff 2) letting me know that you appreciate and enjoy what I post - thank you ... last night pfloyd made his first appearance on cable tv ! thank Tate Tooley for asking, and making a 10 minutes interview easy, I can talk hoops and hoops on the river is easy to talk about as the passion for the game, for teams is the best around ... I'm pretty sure Coach Davis & his staff don't want me showing up for games based on last years score and this years score ...

... with ALL of that said/posted Chesapeake was IN this game ! I told the gentlemen sitting next to me - the peake just needed one or 2 to fall , which I felt would open up them getting into a flow that would lead them into getting out in transition - never happened ... Fairland 51 Chesapeake 34 a final ...

Chesapeake ... 2 ... 10... 18 ... 34
Fairland ........8 ... 25... 30 ... 51

... Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Chesapeake

Scoring ... Levi Blankenship 11, Austin Jackson 8, Trent Dearth 6, Dilen Caldwell 4, Travis Grim 3, Nathan Cox 2
3 Pointers ... 2/21 ... Travis Grim 1, Dilen Caldwell 1
FTs ......... 14/17
TOs ........ 9
PnP ...... 6 fgs/ 12 points in the paint
PnT ...... 1 fg / 2 points in transition
Pbck ..... 0

... in teaching when something isn't working as far as reaching kids in the classroom you - the teacher - Try Another Way" ... last night the transition game was not there, the 3 point shooting was not there ... the NEED to do something different - Try Another Way has to happen ... Levi Blankenship did what a perimeter scorer does and should do - have the mentality that "next one IS going in" ... it never went in ... in the 4th he began taking it to the rim and was successful (a couple of fgs and an "and one" ... Austin Jackson took it to the rim in the 4th for a pair of fgs and couple FTs ... TEAM learns from losses - imo the Panthers will look into doing what they did in the 4th, when the perimeter shot isn't there - they will use their speed/quicks to get to the rim - doesn't they will abandon the perimeter shot just means they will attack the rim, get to the line , work to get themselves into the flow and change the flow of the game ...

...Pfloyd's official "UN-offiicial" Napkin Stats- Fairland

Scoring ... Jacob Polcyn 13, Gavin Hunt 11, Clayton Thomas 9, Zander Schmidt 7, Nate Thacker 6, Aiden Porter 2, Jordan Williams 2, Tevin Taylor 1
3 Pointers ... 7/22 ... Clayton Thomas 3, Nate Thacker 2, Jacob Polcyn 1, Zander Schmidt 1
FTs ..... 18/21
TO ....15
PnP .... 6 fgs/12 points in the paint
PnT .... 1 fg/ 2 points in transition
Pbck .... 1 fg/ 2 points on putback buckets

... the difference in the game was the leadership on the floor - neither team was able to do what they normally do - credit to the defenses of BOTH teams ... I felt the leadership of Clayton Thomas/Jacob Polcyn ON THE FLOOR was key - neither had their personal tempos changed ... Chesapeake applied fullcourt pressure for 32 minutes - Thomas nor Polcyn wore down, made poor decisions which is counted on by defensive teams that apply pressure ... both demeanor of either player never changed ... when I left last night's game I shook hands with Coach Salyers on the way out - told coach that "THAT was Ugly" coach said it was "W" ! yep winning UGLY is better than losing ugly ... I wish the best to both of these teams the rest of the season and hope to see both at the Convo ...
Last edited by pfloyd on Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

mattash
Site Admin

Re: Fairland 51 Chesapeake 34 a final ...

Post by mattash »

Great run down. You paint a good picture. Student sections pretty wild ?

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

mattash wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:53 pm Great run down. You paint a good picture. Student sections pretty wild ?
Both were loud, louder, loudest ! not sure what they said or did BUT it was by far the best atmosphere I have been in all season - outstanding ... THE ENTIRE crowd for both sides were loud, vocal, appreciative - good stuff ... it's what high school hoops Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line are ALL ABOUT !

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Great rundown as usual Pfloyd. Dragons must have played some pretty good defense, Panthers very rarely ever shoot that poorly especially at home.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Starters were 0/19 from 3 point range

That’s crazy. Roughly how many were greatly contested making it a very tough shot?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:49 pm Starters were 0/19 from 3 point range

That’s crazy. Roughly how many were greatly contested making it a very tough shot?
... when you talk Fairland hoops defensively - Porter (who shutdown Trey Robertson/frustrated him visibly 14 points /2 in the 2nd half), Hunter, Polcyn, Williams, Schmidt, etc they force you move, no spotting up on YOUR spot ... as a team Chesapeake didn't hit anything on the perimeter that they could hang their hat on ... most EVERYTHING was contested ... but there were others that just weren't on the money ... I think the inability to get out in transition was a major issue ...

jblman
Waterboy

Post by jblman »

Always good to see pfloyd at out games! Thanks for the review.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

jblman wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:21 pm Always good to see pfloyd at out games! Thanks for the review.
... the travel is hard on this old man BUT I enjoy making the trip to the river jblman ! you're most welcome ...

captainmorgan_
JV Team

Post by captainmorgan_ »

Great post, thanks pfloyd. I really expected this one to be closer. still very much enjoyed watching

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:10 am
pfloyd sharing some wisdom pre-game.

Post by mattash »

well done Pfloyd

Michael Scott
mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

actually just going to watch the game, lol not a seat available

Michael Scott
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

mattash wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:05 am well done Pfloyd
It was fun to do ... I thank Tate Tooley for asking, giving pfloyd the chance for 8 minutes of fame LOL ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

mattash wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:05 am well done Pfloyd
... thanks mattash ! - I DID wear the SEOPs shirt ...

Return to “Boys Basketball”