Super sectional rules and procedures.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Super sectional rules and procedures.

Post by Orange and Brown »

https://ohsaa.org/SEDAB/News-from-the-S ... uidelines

2020 Super Sectional Guidelines

The Southeast District Athletic Board (SEDAB) is implementing a new super sectional format for the 2020 boys and girls basketball tournaments. The information listed below is for the purpose of communicating how this format will be handled operationally. The Board has made every effort to anticipate questions and believes this document will provide answers. We do understand that other questions and issues may arise. There will be a process to answer those as well.

Seeding. On-line seeding will continue as in the past. The exception is that coaches will seed ALL teams in the division instead of a geographically aligned sectional site. [Example: 31 teams in D3 girls. Coaches seed 1 through 31.] A seeding document will be sent out to all schools from the board/manager and also from Baumspage. Guidelines are largely the same including the changes made last year and current. These include: 1. A coach cannot vote for his/her own team; 2. A team’s highest and lowest vote will NOT count; 3. A coach who does not vote/seed will be penalized by losing their second highest vote (the top vote is discarded as mentioned).
District winners/Regional qualifiers. Following the seeding, after results are tabulated, the Board will reach out to the number 1 seed via cell phone. The coach will then SELECT whether the number 1 seed’s bracket will be labeled 1 or 2. Example: Two winners, boys D3. #1 seed’s bracket is the upper bracket. The #1 seeded team’s coach will decide if that bracket is labeled Athens 1 or Athens 2.
Brackets. As for the past 15+ years the board will use NCAA-paired brackets that are pre-determined. Teams will be placed on the bracket as determined by their voted seed number. Example: Girls D3, 31 teams. #1 is a first round bye. #2 plays #31, #3 plays #30, etc. The blank brackets with paired seeds will be distributed prior to the seeding.

Site assignments. Following the seeding process and placement of teams on the brackets, as per their voted seed, the Board will then assign the games to one of the two sectional sites indicated on the tournament set up. In situations in which one team in a match up is closer to one site while the other team is closer to the other site, the higher seeded team will be given priority. The Board reserves the right to adjust games.

Game times. Game times will be listed on the blank bracket. Once the pairing is determined (by seed), the Board may adjust times at a site to best accommodate travel, fans, etc.

Frequently Asked Questions. There will be a spot on the SEDAB’s website that lists answers to FAQ’s.
Current Questions. Should you have an initial question direct it to Board member Mark LaFon. 740-550-8014 or mark.lafon@tigertown.com

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
mhs95_06
S

Re: Super sectional rules and procedures.

Post by mhs95_06 »

If the higher seeded team is 20 miles from site A and 30 miles from site B, but the lower seeded team is 20 miles from site B and 110 miles from site A, will they make the lower seed travel 110 miles? Seems like letting each team pick their spot on the bracket which has locations, dates, and times is a better option. This way a team can decide if traveling 90 miles further is worth a slightly better chance to win!

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

mhs95_06 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:29 pm If the higher seeded team is 20 miles from site A and 30 miles from site B, but the lower seeded team is 20 miles from site B and 110 miles from site A, will they make the lower seed travel 110 miles? Seems like letting each team pick their spot on the bracket which has locations, dates, and times is a better option. This way a team can decide if traveling 90 miles further is worth a slightly better chance to win!
To the best of my knowledge which isn't much lol
You are seeded wherever you are seeded and that's that.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

Note:

Div-II (Regional Semi's)
Athens v East 2

D-III (Regional Semi's)
Athens #1 v Columbus #2
Athens #2 v East

D-VI (Regional Semi's)
Athens #1 v East
Athens #2 v Columbus #1

Post by Raider6309 »

So in D2 does the #1 seed get Logan or Southeastern? I would think #1 would get Southeastern since that’s Jackson and #2 and #3 would get Logan since that is FU and Sheridan

Treyman3
Freshman Team

Post by Treyman3 »

I like this process for determining the site better than simply putting the #1 seed where they want and then the 2 and 3 seeds automatically go to the opposite site. May make it tough for scouting in some cases, but better for the fans traveling.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Raider6309 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:33 pm So in D2 does the #1 seed get Logan or Southeastern? I would think #1 would get Southeastern since that’s Jackson and #2 and #3 would get Logan since that is FU and Sheridan
A lot of hoops left.
But I'm getting the feeling (5) Athens will be playing (4) Unioto at Southeastern.
I'd almost rather be the 6 and play (3) Sheridan in Logan. We tend to do well against the Generals up in Logan. lol

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

The higher seed will play at their closest sectional

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

93Bulldog wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:08 pm
Raider6309 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:33 pm So in D2 does the #1 seed get Logan or Southeastern? I would think #1 would get Southeastern since that’s Jackson and #2 and #3 would get Logan since that is FU and Sheridan
A lot of hoops left.
But I'm getting the feeling (5) Athens will be playing (4) Unioto at Southeastern.
I'd almost rather be the 6 and play (3) Sheridan in Logan. We tend to do well against the Generals up in Logan. lol
Guessing Athens at the 6 right now.

OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

Well..this should be interesting.

I'm not old, I'm mold....still growing!!
2019 NCAA Tournament Pick 'em champ
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

I probably missed or over looked the date as to when the on-line seeding takes place ?

Seopnation
Freshman Team

Post by Seopnation »

mlittle wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:14 pm The higher seed will play at their closest sectional
Is this for both rounds? So a team could play in Jackson one round and Waverly the next based on their seed?

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

Orange and Brown wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:52 pm
mhs95_06 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:29 pm If the higher seeded team is 20 miles from site A and 30 miles from site B, but the lower seeded team is 20 miles from site B and 110 miles from site A, will they make the lower seed travel 110 miles? Seems like letting each team pick their spot on the bracket which has locations, dates, and times is a better option. This way a team can decide if traveling 90 miles further is worth a slightly better chance to win!
To the best of my knowledge which isn't much lol
You are seeded wherever you are seeded and that's that.
Yes, and the #1 seed, when there are two teams going to regionals, gets to choose which other district's champion they would play. After that the Board will assign the games to a sectional site, and "Once the pairing is determined (by seed), the Board may adjust times at a site to best accommodate travel, fans, etc."

Big Daddy 7371
Varsity

Post by Big Daddy 7371 »

This is going to be interesting

Treyman3
Freshman Team

Post by Treyman3 »

VetteMan wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:39 pm I probably missed or over looked the date as to when the on-line seeding takes place ?
Tournament draw isn't until 2/9, teams have 4-6 more games before the voting. Way to early to start looking at potential match-ups.

Treyman3
Freshman Team

Post by Treyman3 »

Not sure how the Math works in that scenario. How can both teams be within 30 miles from site B, yet one team is 110 miles from site A and the other is only 20?

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Seopnation wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:51 pm
mlittle wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:14 pm The higher seed will play at their closest sectional
Is this for both rounds? So a team could play in Jackson one round and Waverly the next based on their seed?
Not sure. I’ll try to find out

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Treyman3 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:51 pm
Not sure how the Math works in that scenario. How can both teams be within 30 miles from site B, yet one team is 110 miles from site A and the other is only 20?
👍

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

1st D-III Mock Seedings (Based on pfloyd's current rankings). ignore the dates & times

Post by Ironman92 »

No matter how you seed it...it’s going to be really good

Return to “Boys Basketball”