Best Defenses

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Best Defenses

Post by Ironman92 »

Of teams you have seen....lost some of the best defenses (on ball, help side, causing turnovers, transition defense)

Watching Jackson I’ve seen some really good ones. I know a lot is matchups but here are the tops I’ve seen

1. Chillicothe

2. Unioto

3. North Adams
4. Wheelersburg

5. Miami Trace (their size caused issues)

Others I’ve seen (McClain, Hillsboro, Washington)

List yours (teams you’ve seen)

I didn’t rank my own team which I’ve watched 8x. Most nights I’d put them 2nd but have had a few 3rd and 4th best showings. Very good overall this season.
Last edited by Ironman92 on Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mlittle
SEOP

Re: Best Defenses

Post by mlittle »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:45 pm Of teams you have seen....lost some of the best defenses (on ball, help side, causing turnovers, transition defense)

Watching Jackson I’ve seen some really good ones. I know a lot is matchups but here are the tops I’ve seen

1. Chillicothe

2. Unioto

3. North Adams
4. Wheelersburg

MT not so much at least for us. We scored 70 on them

I like 1 and 2. Unioto is only giving up 40 a game and held FU to 9 first half points tonight and ZT to 36 with reigning POY to 7 points. Jackson has a good defense as well great help rotations but I’d have ZT in the top 3

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

mlittle wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:50 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:45 pm Of teams you have seen....lost some of the best defenses (on ball, help side, causing turnovers, transition defense)

1. Chillicothe

2. Unioto

3. North Adams
4. Wheelersburg

MT not so much at least for us. We scored 70 on them

I like 1 and 2. Unioto is only giving up 40 a game and held FU to 9 first half points tonight and ZT to 36 with reigning POY to 7 points. Jackson has a good defense as well great help rotations but I’d have ZT in the top 3
They weren’t great but they gave us nothing underneath most of the game and with their tough shooting background it was a bad mix even though we pulled away....they were well behind my top 4 but I went ahead and gave a 5th

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

I know burg won but didn’t really have the defense to stop Wallis like they thought. Would’ve probably went for 40 if he wasn’t hobbling.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Peebles started 6'5" ,6'3", 6'3",6'2" and 5'10" lineup last night with 6'6" 6'3" off bench. Althought not elite defense yet they are coming around nicely for coach Arey. Awesome game last night vs North Adams. Peebles 58- North Adams 38.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Probably Unioto

scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

Burgs defense pretty solid.

Burg grad 85
mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Piketon also has a very disciplined and stingy defense.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Eastern Brown is lock down coach Beucler defense. Look out for the Warriors.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Good start. Pfloyd has seen a lot of teams. Dani as well. Bbjunky?

Need to hear from other areas

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

I92 ... I've seen 28 different teams so far in the 1st 4 weeks of action , my top defensive teams so far would be:

1. Chillicothe
2. Fairfield Union
3. Unioto
4. Chesapeake
5. Jackson
6. Fairland
7. Zane Trace
8. Alexander
9. Adena
10. New Boston
11. Warren
12. Logan Elm

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

And Alexander with Terry

Tigers12
Waterboy

Post by Tigers12 »

I don't think the kids at Waverly get enough credit on this site! They have been fairly solid with all the distractions. On the average they are holding teams under 50 points per game.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Tigers12 wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:13 am I don't think the kids at Waverly get enough credit on this site! They have been fairly solid with all the distractions. On the average they are holding teams under 50 points per game.
I’ve not seen Waverly and not sure those who have commented on this have either. You obviously have. So Waverly and who else that you have seen?

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Tigers12 wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:13 am I don't think the kids at Waverly get enough credit on this site! They have been fairly solid with all the distractions. On the average they are holding teams under 50 points per game.
Pfloyd lists are pretty good. I think burgs defense is pretty good considering they are undefeated but Floyd sees more than I do. I’m ok with it.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

wobycat wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:58 am
Pfloyd lists are pretty good. I think burgs defense is pretty good considering they are undefeated but Floyd sees more than I do. I’m ok with it.
Wobycat, I only listed teams that I have seen ... Wheelersburg with Miller/Truitt/McCorkle WOULD be excellent I’m sure - I just haven’t seen them yet ... Eastern Brown , Trimble are outstanding defensively as well but I haven’t seen them yet either ... I WILL ! I’m looking at Trimble vs Fed Hock this Friday , the Wheelersburg at Eastern Pike game on the 10th and Eastern Brown playing at the Beasts of the Southeast in Chesapeake on the 11th ... I just thought I92 wanted us to list teams we have seen so far ...
Last edited by pfloyd on Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

pfloyd wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:35 am
Wobycat, I only listed teams that I have seen ... Wheelersburg with Miller/Truitt/McCormick WOULD be excellent I’m sure - I just haven’t seen them yet ... Eastern Brown , Trimble are outstanding defensively as well but I haven’t seen them yet either ... I WILL ! I’m looking at Trimble vs Fed Hock this Friday , the Wheelersburg at Eastern Pike game on the 10th and Eastern Brown playing at the Beasts of the Southeast in Chesapeake on the 11th ... I just thought I92 wanted us to list teams we have seen so far ...
You did exactly as I asked.

Matt Miller for Wheelersburg an excellent defender and overall player

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Opponent's FG% and turnovers created are much better indicators of a team's defense. Holding a team under 40 points is not necessarily a mark of great defense, rather it could be a matter of offensive tempo in the game.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:16 am
pfloyd wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:35 am

Wobycat, I only listed teams that I have seen ... Wheelersburg with Miller/Truitt/McCorkle WOULD be excellent I’m sure - I just haven’t seen them yet ... Eastern Brown , Trimble are outstanding defensively as well but I haven’t seen them yet either ... I WILL ! I’m looking at Trimble vs Fed Hock this Friday , the Wheelersburg at Eastern Pike game on the 10th and Eastern Brown playing at the Beasts of the Southeast in Chesapeake on the 11th ... I just thought I92 wanted us to list teams we have seen so far ...
You did exactly as I asked.

Matt Miller for Wheelersburg an excellent defender and overall player
Miller for the Burg IS an excellent defender - an "aggressive" defender for sure ... I'm sure the rest of Wheelersburg's starters outside of McCormick/Truitt are equally as good / the burg always has athletic players ... I'm really looking forward to seeing Eastern Brown as well - Coach Beucler has ALWAYS had excellent defensive teams - he teaches the fundamentals of the game on both ends of the court ... Coach Beucler has developed a great "system" - right around the 380 win mark proves that one LOL ...
Last edited by pfloyd on Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tigers12
Waterboy

Post by Tigers12 »

I believe PFloyd has watched Waverly beat Warren this season.

Is holding teams to 33% and forcing 14 TO's a game decent?

Return to “Boys Basketball”