Top 5 All-Time from your school

burgbball
Riding the Bench

Re: Top 5 All-Time from your school

Post by burgbball »

I would go back further to get some of the best players. I believe that Joe Race, Brian Bays, Jeff Meadows, Jack Miller and going way back Darryl Pace. Brian Bays and Joe Race were rated in the top 100 high school players in the country in 1976.
Wheelersburg

1. Todd Staker-6’3” 1981-1984-started as a Sophomore-guard who could jump out of the gym. Played on two Final Four teams, 82 as a Sophomore and 84 as Senior. Burg made it to the finals in 84 losing to future NBA player Jerome Lane and Akron St. Vincent 75-71. Todd averaged around 30 in the tourney that year.

2. Andrew Burleson-6’6”, 1998-2002- started as a Freshman-could play about anywhere. Sweet shot and good hops. Could handle the ball very well for being 6’6”. I believe he is the all time leading scorer at Burg.

3. Brad Walke-6’1”, 1980-1983-started as a Sophomore. Guard who could shoot from anywhere or take you off the dribble. If three point shot would have be around he would have scored some serious points. Played on the Burg Final Four team of 81-82.

4. Jonathon Eaton-6’1”-1991-1995-started as a Freshman come tourney time helping lead A Burg team, that I believe had a losing record going to the tourney, all the way to the Regional Final. Playmaker who was good at driving to the basket and dishing off or making the shot. Helped lead Burg to the Final Four in 95 where they lost to a strong Orrville team in the state finals. Upset a strong Cols Bishop Hartley team in the semifinals.

5. Cam Miller-6’7”-2004-2007-started as a Sophomore. Good balhandler for his size. Could shoot the three or beat you off the dribble for a thunderous dunk. Helped lead Burg to back to back Final Fours in 2006 and 2007.
[/quote]

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

Eastern Pike Mine would be..

Mark Cochenour 1984.. scored 1801 points in career(most all time at Eastern for boys), 727 rebounds(3rd most all time),led Eagles to district championships in 83 and 84. Averaged 32.7ppg his senior season earning Ohio player of the year Honor..also holds Eastern single game scoring record with a 50 point Game his senior year.

2.Darren King 1989- 1530 points and 744 rebounds which are both 2nd place all time at Eastern for boys.Very good shooter that made 69 3 pointers in career.King led Eastern to district titles in 89 and 90 only to run into Columbus Wherle at Regionals..great all around player and had solid career at Shawnee.

3.Neil Leist 1981-1247 career points,267 career assists( both 6th all time at school), point guard of 1981 District championship team.

4.Zac Alexander 2006-Schools all time assists leader with 421, scored 1310 points(4th all time),court vision was unreal as he was one of the best passers I've seen.He could shoot it as well hitting 96 threes in career. Led Eastern to 17-5 and 19-4 records his Jr and sr years with a league title his Sr season and sectional titles both years in a stacked D4 as Webster won state in 06, some GREAT matchups those 2 years vs Thourghman and Clay.

5.Matt Hines 2001- Very athletic 6"5 scored 1289 points (5th all time), could play inside or out,678 rebounds(4th all time)led team to district final in 00 and league title in 01.Played and had good career at Marietta College.

So many to choose from so I'm sure some would argue those 5..also had Chad Lands 2013 who scored 1183 points (7th all time),(171 career assists). Made most threes in school history with 136.. was leader of regional runner up team in 2012.Great player. Josh Thacker 2015-Scored 1125 points, averaged 21.5ppg as a senior and is 2nd all time in made threes with 127.

Other very good players were Larry Caudill-1991Who averaged 21.8 as a senior, Mike Harris-1967 scored 25ppg as a senior,Ethan Leist2017 ended career 3rd all time in scoring with 1380 points, Justin McBee 1990 who hit 93 threes and was a great athlete and Ballhandler.,Dusten Alley(1041 points) and school all time leading rebounder with 762, Terry Smith 1975- a very good pg that dished out 313 career assists,Arnold King (1977) was very good player for Eastern,he shot 86%from the FT line in '77,a school record..Pat Nance(1969),Rick Nance(1971) and Don Arnett(1974) were all 1k point scorers. Others Eastern should be able to claim(lol) that transferred were Doug Williams (1999)6"5 point guard who might be No.1 on list if he stayed his senior year at Eastern,great athlete, very high basketball IQ and Went to D1 Miami (OH),now a very good varsity coach..Darrel Howard 1989-6"6 center that went to Waverly his Sr year, an amazing athlete that was key piece to 1988 team that finished regular season undefeated and Ranked#3 in state (Eastern highest ranking ever) probably has most dunks in school history.
..Eric Caudill 1992,Kyle Vulgamore 2003 both very good 1k point scorers who like Doug also finished there career's at Piketon.

I'm sure I'm missing some I should mention but this post is way too long as it is 😀
Last edited by beaverlover on Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

EPN wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:09 pm Eastern Pike Eagles

1-Mark Cochenour-1984-6’5 forward——-Eastern’s all time leading scorer with over 1800 points,lights out shooter, great rebounder, can’t quite remember but I think he went to a small college in North Carolina for his college ball, his son Hunter is now a sophomore at Eastern ,and is a lights outshooter himself.

2-Darren King-1989-6’3 forward———could be listed as #1 , I have him at 2 based on points, scored over 1500 points, great shooter , rebounder ,and defensive player, did everything well, played his college ball at Shawnee State.

The next 3 are tough for me ,because they didn’t finish their careers at Eastern , but they did play freshman-junior years at Eastern, so this is who I am listing, but it’s debatable.

3-Eric Caudill-1992-6’2 point guard——had he played his senior year at Eastern , he would b in the conversation for #1, great athlete, shooter, defensive player, he could do it all. I think he played college ball at Alderson Broaddus in West Virginia, before transferringto Rio grande.

4-Doug Williams-1999 6’5 point guard——-another player that had he finished his career at Eastern he could have been in the conversation for #1, an all around great player, 6’5 point guards are rare in southern Ohio, could jump out of the gym,played his college ball at Miami University and is the current head coach at Georgetown High School.

5-Darrell Howard-1989-6’7 center——-some eagle fans may have someone else here , but for me , Darrell is who I am choosing , prolly best athlete to ever come through Eastern , could jump as well as anyone I have seen around here, had a few dunks that I will never forget.

I know this is a boys list, but I feel like I should list Eastern’s best Female player of all time Marlene Stollings-1993-6’1 guard——— she is the all-time leading scorer in the history of Ohio high basketball for both boys and girls, with 3514 career points, 13 made 3 pointers in a game is a state record , 317career made 3 pointers, scored 1022 points as a Senior, which is 2nd all time for a single season, made 760 career free throws , which is 2nd all time for a career , just an unbelievable career ,one that will prolly never be matched around Southern Ohio, she played college ball at Ohio State before transferring to Ohio University , and she is the current head women’s basketball coach at the University of Minnesota
Didn't Howard graduate from Waverly.
When I was a kid I was ball boy for a church team my dad coached. They traveled all other the state and played in tournament. Arnold King was on that team and he was my childhood idol. He was prolly in his mid 20s and man he could light it up.

WHS2000
Waterboy

Post by WHS2000 »

Well I'm not going to say I have the best knowldge to post this and I need to preface this by saying Mr. Kretzer and Miss Campbell are the only two players mentioned that I am old enough to see play a game.
But from Waverly: There was Thompson played at OSU (maybe Bob?) He needs to be near the top.
Denny Thompson and Phil Miller have to be somewhere on the list I think Thompson was 1970 and Miller was 1971. (I belive both played at OU). Jake Kretzer played at Akron and broke Thompson's and later Teresa Campbell's all-time school scoring records. Others that maybe in the conversation: Rick Eblin, John Shoemaker, Charlie Helman (who was on the state champonship basbeball team in '54) played basketball at Ohio State.
Waverly had a regional runner-up team in 1980 (I think). I'm sure someone from that group should be on the list.
I'm sure other Waverly posters can add names that I missed.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Waverly was regional runnerup to Portsmouth in 1980. The Trojans defeated the Tigers 49-48. The Tigers had a very good post player, 6-4 Onno Steger, and a standout guard, Rick Teeters. Gabby Smith was the coach. Teeters missed a shot from the top of the key as time expired. Waverly upset undefeated Dresden Tri Valley in the regional semifinal 48-45. I don't know if there's a connection to this or not, but Upper Arlington just recently had a player who I believe graduated last year whose name is Onno Steger. Maybe father/son?

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

For Wheelersburg, if you want to go back far enough, to some of the winningest basketball teams for Wheelersburg that had players like Earl (Pug) Miller and Gene Bennett. I should look up the rest of the roster but they were not shabby with a 29-1 record in 44-45 and made the state tournament (16 teams) and I think almost 35 wins in 45-46.

OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

trojandave wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:48 pm Waverly was regional runnerup to Portsmouth in 1980. The Trojans defeated the Tigers 49-48. The Tigers had a very good post player, 6-4 Onno Steger, and a standout guard, Rick Teeters. Gabby Smith was the coach. Teeters missed a shot from the top of the key as time expired. Waverly upset undefeated Dresden Tri Valley in the regional semifinal 48-45. I don't know if there's a connection to this or not, but Upper Arlington just recently had a player who I believe graduated last year whose name is Onno Steger. Maybe father/son?
trojandave...according to a friend that is his son Onno Steger II

I'm not old, I'm mold....still growing!!
2019 NCAA Tournament Pick 'em champ
Vito Corleone
Freshman Team

Post by Vito Corleone »

OHHS old timer wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:37 pm
trojandave wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:48 pm Waverly was regional runnerup to Portsmouth in 1980. The Trojans defeated the Tigers 49-48. The Tigers had a very good post player, 6-4 Onno Steger, and a standout guard, Rick Teeters. Gabby Smith was the coach. Teeters missed a shot from the top of the key as time expired. Waverly upset undefeated Dresden Tri Valley in the regional semifinal 48-45. I don't know if there's a connection to this or not, but Upper Arlington just recently had a player who I believe graduated last year whose name is Onno Steger. Maybe father/son?
trojandave...according to a friend that is his son Onno Steger II
Onno Steger is playing at Western Carolina. Sophomore there I believe

Making offers you can't refuse
Broken Tornadoe
Waterboy

Post by Broken Tornadoe »

Southern-Carl Wolfe, Kent Wolfe,Chip Bruaer, Dave Ambury, Jack Duffey

thebull
Varsity

Post by thebull »

North Adams Green Devils

1. Nathan Copas
2. Rick Fulton
3. Kraig Unger
4. Troy Storer
5. Eric Evilsiser

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

I thought EDSpy was going to post Fort Frye's 5, but I don't see it. This

Jack Clark played basketball for Maryland in the 60's.
Tyler Engle set the state record for career three-pointers and played baseball at Ohio State.
Clint Hayes averaged 30+ per game for 2 years and had a nice career at Cedarville.
Eric Henniger was the best all around player on our 1999 Final Four team and is the current coach.
Brandon Skinner was the best player on our #2 state ranked team that lost to #1Garaway in the district tournament.

There were several guys who could be plugged into those final spots, but that was our 5.

sandstorm23
Freshman Team

Post by sandstorm23 »

River Valley: Joey James and then after that it's hard to put together a list.

RVRaiderFan
All State

Post by RVRaiderFan »

sandstorm23 wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 9:08 am River Valley: Joey James and then after that it's hard to put together a list.
I would follow Joey with Tyler Twyman. Tyler was the 2nd 1,000 point scorer in RV history behind James. He is currently playing College Basketball for Davis & Elkins College in WV.

Aaron Sullivan would have to be on my list as well. One of the best PG's in RV history. His ball skills were unbelievable.

A couple other names to mention.....Greg James (Joey's older brother), Chris Crace, Doug Lloyd, Bruce Ward

Once A Raider, Always A Raider!
transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

I don't think anyone has mentioned anyone from Valley yet, so ill take a stab at it. Not a top 5 list, but just top players that come to mind over the years...

Mark and Harold Merritt played at William Carey in Mississippi maybe?
Craig Gilliland I believe was all time scorer until Blake Yates passed him a few years ago
Keith Hickman played Rugby at The Ohio State University
Chris Clark played college ball somewhere in Mississippi I think? until a car wreck cut his career short
pretty sure Gilliland, Hickman, and Clark, maybe even Alley all played together
Brian Baer played football at Urbana
Alan Alley played at Shawnee
Matt Nourse all time free throw percentage, his brother in law came close to beating is, but I don't think he did.
Chris Lundy had scholarship to West Virginia State for baseball, just overall athlete
Nolan Crabtree undersized big man, played baseball and IUPUI and Shawnee
some recent players Blake yates all time leading scorer, played at Shawnee
Brian Rolfe plays at Shawnee

Im sure I missed a few names, but these are the ones that come to my mind. Maybe Crab's brother can help some...

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Waverly also beat the Burg in the Distrcts at Athens in 1980. The game was officiated by two men, one being the former OHSAA commisioneer Dan Ross and that was by far the worst officiated game I've ever watched. I believe Waverly scored 60 points in that game with 44 of them coming from the free throw line. Dan the man made most of the calls against Burg that game and literally fouled out the whole starting five plus two bench players. I think Burg finished the game with just 5 players left.

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

I don't know what his high school career was like, but Dan Hughes from Fort Frye just coached The WNBA Champion Seattle Storm to their league title. That has to rank somewhere.

Cameron34Crazie34
All State

Post by Cameron34Crazie34 »

Portsmouth West. We are not rich in basketball history and we haven't been to the Convo since 1998 but here are some names that pop into my head. As you can tell by the list I am a little young. Lol

Shea Lauder '07
Asa Jewett '98
Matt Jones '03
Michael Davis '15
Kelly Shy '74ish?
Chris Hamilton and Boyce Jordan from the '85 team. Even though I wasn't alive it is probably the best basketball team the West Side has ever had.

Loyal Loyal to The West Side
WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

hoopsfan wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:09 am
HamPorter wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:43 am Only 2 from Warren have over 1,000? That's crazy
Like Warrior Blue said, very rare for any freshman at Warren to play varsity at all because of talent level at school and the competition that Warren faces in Division II every year. Of note is that there are a few players for sure that were very near 1000 points, but fell just short. I don't know the exact numbers but I believe three other Warrior players were over the 950 career mark: Austin Cunningham, Kyler Dennis, and Curt Morris

There may be others that were close, but those are three that I know of. Josh Huffman from this year's team is probably at around 900 career points.

I was not aware that only 2 previous Warriors were members of the 1000 point club. I guess that is an exclusive list for sure.
Another name to add from WarriorNation would be Phil Mayle. In 1980 he was around 600 points for the season. I’m guessing he was a player that got very close to that 1000 Point Club.

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

Would anyone have Portsmouth East and Portsmouth Notre Dame (central catholic)

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

bump

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott

Return to “Boys Basketball”