Dave Young Classic

IndianTribe
Riding the Bench

Dave Young Classic

Post by IndianTribe »

This year's Dave Young classic @ North Adams High School is scheduled for Jan. 20th, here's the list of games and times........ Like to here everyone's thoughts on the games.....

Manchester vs. Symmes Valley - 10:00 am

Lynchburg vs. Waverly - 11:45 am

Peebles vs. E. Pike - 1:30 pm

North Adams vs. Chesapeake - 3:15 pm (Girls Game)

West Union vs. Chesapeake - 5:00 pm

Eastern vs. Minford - 6:45 pm

North Adams vs. Greenfield McClain - 8:30

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: Dave Young Classic

Post by danicalifornia »

Looks good! Should be some pretty competitive games overall.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

danicalifornia wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:14 pm Looks good! Should be some pretty competitive games overall.
Agree, should all be good games

bobcats94
Riding the Bench

Post by bobcats94 »

Agree looks like some good games! Interested to see if Peebles can handle Eastern Pike better than some teams have this year. If Peebles shoots well I think this could be a close game!

IndianTribe
Riding the Bench

Post by IndianTribe »

I think it really depends what Peebles Team shows up, 2 of their wins are against a White Oak team that is 1-4 right now and both were close games, the first one they pulled away at the end..... But vs Lynchburg and Fairfield their offense played very well... and i'm not saying White Oak is a bad team's but, as of right now they don't have the wins showing their a good team.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Ready for this to happen in a couple of weeks.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Hoping the weather cooperates this year so that I can make the long trip from Logan ... I NEED to make the trip to North Adams for this tourney that honors Coach Young at least once ! - excellent coach, good person off the court as well ... only met Coach Young in person once, the year before he passed away - he present pfloyd with a North Adams T-shirt ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

pfloyd wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:54 am ... Hoping the weather cooperates this year so that I can make the long trip from Logan ... I NEED to make the trip to North Adams for this tourney that honors Coach Young at least once ! - excellent coach, good person off the court as well ... only met Coach Young in person once, the year before he passed away - he present pfloyd with a North Adams T-shirt ...

If you decide to go, let me know and I bet I can get you to meet his wonderful wife.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:12 am
pfloyd wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:54 am ... Hoping the weather cooperates this year so that I can make the long trip from Logan ... I NEED to make the trip to North Adams for this tourney that honors Coach Young at least once ! - excellent coach, good person off the court as well ... only met Coach Young in person once, the year before he passed away - he present pfloyd with a North Adams T-shirt ...

If you decide to go, let me know and I bet I can get you to meet his wonderful wife.
Will do I92 ... thanks !

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

The thing I can tell you about here in SHAC land is they love their basketball. Kids in Peebles always think about playing for the Varsity coaches such as Coach Myers in my day. Now the kids talk about playing for Coach Arey. At North Adams kids grew up wanting passionately to play for Coach Dave Young and the North Adams Green Devil's. Now they think of nothing but playing for the Devil's and Coach Nathan Copas.Go to Peebles any day and everyone wears Red,white and blue Indian shirts .Go any day to Seaman or Winchester and you will see green and gold. School pride is first and foremost in the minds of people down here. Evidence of this can be seen come tournament time when the towns empty and the convo fills with SHAC fans. School pride reigns supreme. This little Dave Young Classic is a passion that was started by Dave to highlight his community that he loved so much. Come on out and watch some competitive games performed by many teams from around our southern Ohio community.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Hoopie74 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:52 am The thing I can tell you about here in SHAC land is they love their basketball. Kids in Peebles always think about playing for the Varsity coaches such as Coach Myers in my day. Now the kids talk about playing for Coach Arey. At North Adams kids grew up wanting passionately to play for Coach Dave Young and the North Adams Green Devil's. Now they think of nothing but playing for the Devil's and Coach Nathan Copas.Go to Peebles any day and everyone wears Red,white and blue Indian shirts .Go any day to Seaman or Winchester and you will see green and gold. School pride is first and foremost in the minds of people down here. Evidence of this can be seen come tournament time when the towns empty and the convo fills with SHAC fans. School pride reigns supreme. This little Dave Young Classic is a passion that was started by Dave to highlight his community that he loved so much. Come on out and watch some competitive games performed by many teams from around our southern Ohio community.
Hoopie...you remember when Dave Young coachedat Whiteoak?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Hoopie74 ohhhhhhh I KNOW about the love of hoops west of Rte 23 ... I don't get that direction much - the drives are just too far during a school week to get there and back , then go to work the following morning - I'm old ! LOL ... I DID make the trip on a Tuesday night a couple years ago to watch Peebles - I wasn't disappointed ! the folks were as friendly as can be, lots of school personnel working the gate, concessions ... signs everywhere, posters/signs IN the gym AND it was packed !!! I loved it ... I got there early, so I had dinner at the McDonald just as you turn off the highway ... the folks in there were ALL talking about the game to be played that evening ... it IS what high school sports/hoops is all about in Southern Ohio ... I wish I could get West of Rte 23 more often ! ... something about being closer to Cincinnati than Logan on the return trip doesn't make that feasible LOL ...

I totally appreciate the passion that the schools, communities of the SHAC have for hoops ! my kind of towns/communities - small town USA ... growing up in New Boston - I can totally relate ...

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:15 pm
Hoopie74 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:52 am The thing I can tell you about here in SHAC land is they love their basketball. Kids in Peebles always think about playing for the Varsity coaches such as Coach Myers in my day. Now the kids talk about playing for Coach Arey. At North Adams kids grew up wanting passionately to play for Coach Dave Young and the North Adams Green Devil's. Now they think of nothing but playing for the Devil's and Coach Nathan Copas.Go to Peebles any day and everyone wears Red,white and blue Indian shirts .Go any day to Seaman or Winchester and you will see green and gold. School pride is first and foremost in the minds of people down here. Evidence of this can be seen come tournament time when the towns empty and the convo fills with SHAC fans. School pride reigns supreme. This little Dave Young Classic is a passion that was started by Dave to highlight his community that he loved so much. Come on out and watch some competitive games performed by many teams from around our southern Ohio community.
Don't remember Whiteoak but I remember he coached at Minford for a short stent.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

pfloyd wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:27 pm Hoopie74 ohhhhhhh I KNOW about the love of hoops west of Rte 23 ... I don't get that direction much - the drives are just too far during a school week to get there and back , then go to work the following morning - I'm old ! LOL ... I DID make the trip on a Tuesday night a couple years ago to watch Peebles - I wasn't disappointed ! the folks were as friendly as can be, lots of school personnel working the gate, concessions ... signs everywhere, posters/signs IN the gym AND it was packed !!! I loved it ... I got there early, so I had dinner at the McDonald just as you turn off the highway ... the folks in there were ALL talking about the game to be played that evening ... it IS what high school sports/hoops is all about in Southern Ohio ... I wish I could get West of Rte 23 more often ! ... something about being closer to Cincinnati than Logan on the return trip doesn't make that feasible LOL ...

I totally appreciate the passion that the schools, communities of the SHAC have for hoops ! my kind of towns/communities - small town USA ... growing up in New Boston - I can totally relate ...

You and several others prove that passion every day. Your love of the coaches,the kids ,the schools and the game is evident from trojandave,to daniC,to ironman92, to you Pfloyd southeastern Ohio will keep that pride alive and well.Love your home school

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Hoopie74 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:05 pm
Something close to 1981-84

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:19 pm
Hoopie74 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:05 pm

Something close to 1981-84
Peebles had a very long regular season winning streak that was halted at I think 59 regular season wins in a row by a Whiteoak team that had I think about 4 wins in 1984. Whiteoak has always been a thorn in our sides. My wife has cousins over there that ensure that thorn hurts sometimes.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

IndianTribe wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:04 pm This year's Dave Young classic @ North Adams High School is scheduled for Jan. 20th, here's the list of games and times........ Like to here everyone's thoughts on the games.....

Manchester vs. Symmes Valley - 10:00 am

Lynchburg vs. Waverly - 11:45 am

Peebles vs. E. Pike - 1:30 pm

North Adams vs. Chesapeake - 3:15 pm (Girls Game)

West Union vs. Chesapeake - 5:00 pm

Eastern vs. Minford - 6:45 pm

North Adams vs. Greenfield McClain - 8:30
It's kind of amazing that these games were scheduled months ago and yet all matchups records are almost identical except the girls game.

IndianTribe
Riding the Bench

Post by IndianTribe »

This Saturday !!! will be there all day the Peebles game against Eastern Pike should be a great game ... Big game for Peebles also they play Piketon on Tuesday so i'm curious to see in these next couple games go and how good Peebles really is..

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Ready for this to happen. Agree with both games.The last two snowed out games would have been fun also. Latham and Fayetteville 2 were to be good games too.

bobcats94
Riding the Bench

Post by bobcats94 »

Any thoughts on Lynchburg?? Haven't been able to catch one of their games yet

Return to “Boys Basketball”