SVC PLAYER OF THE YEAR

bellyoption
Freshman Team

SVC PLAYER OF THE YEAR

Post by bellyoption »

I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts. I thinks it's got to be between Corcoran from Unioto and Mowery from Zane Trace. I could see Brewster from Piketon as an outside shot. Am I leaving anyone out? :arrow:

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: SVC PLAYER OF THE YEAR

Post by danicalifornia »

bellyoption wrote:I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts. I thinks it's got to be between Corcoran from Unioto and Mowery from Zane Trace. I could see Brewster from Piketon as an outside shot. Am I leaving anyone out? :arrow:
I agree. These are the frontrunners and should be locks for 1st team. Each has an advantage over the others, but we'll see how the coaches vote. McCloy and Shanks have also had outstanding seasons.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Scoring
1. Shanks, E 17.4
2. Brewster, W 17.3
3. Mowery, P 17.3
4. McCloy, M 16.9
5. Corcoran, N 16.8

Rebounds
1. McCloy, M 15.5 (This is a ridiculous amount of rebounds!)
2. Shanks, E 9.5
3. Allen, J 8.4
4. Brewster, W 8.3
5. Hice, A 7.5

Assists
1. Hutton, E 6.9
2. Miles, D 4.5
3. Mowery, P 3.7
4. Sarver, L 3.6
5. Wyman, C 3.3

You throw in steals, blocks, and other assorted stats from svcsportszone and there isnt a clear cut favorite that stands out from the others. My personal vote would be for McCloy! To avg. 15.5 rebounds a game in and of itself is incredible~!

You have 4 legitimate choices IMO, (Corcoran, Mowery, Brewster and McCloy) with possibly some others who you could argue. However, if the coaches do what they usually do, they will vote straight part lines (SVC winner) and you cant really argue to hard against that!
Overly, N

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

eagles73 wrote:My personal vote would be for McCloy! To avg. 15.5 rebounds a game in and of itself is incredible~!
I don't know much about the SVC, but I would agree on McCloy. 16.9 pts and 15.5 rbs is a heck of a season!

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

It's not often that the SVC coaches vote "Player of the Year" to someone that is not on the league title team. It has happened, but not often. Different era and different coaches who knows. I think it comes down to Mowery and Corcoran; although of course I like Brewster based on what the team lost and how he led them. I also agree with eagles73....15.5 rebounds a game is amazing if he played in every game!

MRI13
Riding the Bench

Post by MRI13 »

They will give it to Corcoran based on the simple fact he is a senior. Mowery will probably win the award the next two years...there isnt another player in the league that is near the top in every category...even blocks and rebounding as a 5'9 SG.

Corcoran is a solid shooter, but hes just that a shooter. If he has to make his own shot off the dribble he is less effective.

I dont see one standout player this year honestly...

Grace22
Freshman Team

Post by Grace22 »

Corcoran is a junior. Unioto only has one Senior and that is Alex True.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Corcoran is much more than a shooter, even though that's what he does best. His defense this season has been outstanding since the turn of the year as he gets several deflections a game. He would be deserving if the coaches went his way.

I don't think there is a wrong choice if you go with any of the 4 players mentioned so far. Statistically, McCloy has been out of this world, but his team has struggled. Mowery was the preseason favorite and has been very solid, but being a sophomore could hurt him. Brewster has had to do the most out of these 4 and has been very good all year long. Corcoran could be hurt by performances by his teammates (Overly vs Southeastern x2; Hosley's overall effect on games) more than anything else.

Also, if Mowery or Corcoran win the award, will that be the first father-son combo to both take it home?

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Yogie22 wrote:Corcoran is a junior. Unioto only has one Senior and that is Alex True.
Yep and that makes this season by them even more impressive after losing a good senior class last year and being very inexperienced overall.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... I'm a sucker for a 6-5 BIG, that actually plays in the paint, rebounds/scores IN THE PAINT ... Mason McCloy is my man for SVC POY ...

Mason McCloy ... 16.9 ppg AND 15.5 rbpg ... he a had a stretch of 5 games in a row where he averaged 25.2 ppg and 20.2 rbpg !!! including the monster 23 point/32 rebound game vs a very good Lynchburg Clay squad ...

Main Man
Freshman Team

Post by Main Man »

Its between Corcoran and Mowery...............

crashdavis188
Riding the Bench

Post by crashdavis188 »

danicalifornia wrote:Also, if Mowery or Corcoran win the award, will that be the first father-son combo to both take it home?

Didn't Scott and Evan Legg both win POY . Have to get conformation from eagles73

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

crashdavis188 wrote:
danicalifornia wrote:Also, if Mowery or Corcoran win the award, will that be the first father-son combo to both take it home?

Didn't Scott and Evan Legg both win POY . Have to get conformation from eagles73
Yep! Good call.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

It will go tot the best player on the best teams
If Unioto wins it outright then it will go to Corcoran. my question is he the best player on their team? IDK asking a serious question. THis is not a slam at the kid. Unioto is about 7/8 deep.

Top Contenders
Corcoran- If you take him off the Shermans they still roll.
Mowery- Again if he is not there ZT is very good. with many weapons
Brewster- Take him off the team..... OH LORD it is bad!!!!! Also Piketon was a contender until 4th qtr of Unioto game and a loss of key players
MCCLoy- Team is bottom two in league.... Monster numbers and would kill them if he was not there. Not sure the coaches would give POY to a team that finished that low in the league.
That is a pretty good first team who is number 5?

MY guess is we will have a co POY. Mowery and Corcoran
I believe Brewster is the most valuable player to his team and worthy of the POY Honor
Question who is COY?
MY vote goes to Brabson. Lost 7/8 top players from last years team and pulled off this season.

bellyoption
Freshman Team

Post by bellyoption »

bengalfan76 wrote:It will go tot the best player on the best teams
If Unioto wins it outright then it will go to Corcoran. my question is he the best player on their team? IDK asking a serious question. THis is not a slam at the kid. Unioto is about 7/8 deep.

Top Contenders
Brewster- Take him off the team..... OH LORD it is bad!!!!! Also Piketon was a contender until 4th qtr of Unioto game and a loss of key players
MCCLoy- Team is bottom two in league.... Monster numbers and would kill them if he was not there. Not sure the coaches would give POY to a team that finished that low in the league.

I believe Brewster is the most valuable player to his team and worthy of the POY Honor
Question who is COY?
MY vote goes to Brabson. Lost 7/8 top players from last years team and pulled off this season.
That is a good question, who will be # 5 on the list??? Maybe Hosley or Strange from Unioto, or possibly Smith/Hutton from ZT???

I see them having a co player of the year....kind of silly in my opion, but I haven't watched as much basketball this year as past because I haven't been able to get out because the weather.

bellyoption
Freshman Team

Post by bellyoption »

bengalfan76 wrote:It will go tot the best player on the best teams

Top Contenders

Question who is COY?
That is a good question, who will be # 5 on the list??? Maybe Hosley or Strange from Unioto, or possibly Smith/Hutton from ZT???

I see them having a co player of the year....kind of silly in my opion, but I haven't watched as much basketball this year as past because I haven't been able to get out because the weather.

Bear42
Freshman Team

Post by Bear42 »

I predict the coaches will do what they always do and hand out the awards to the SVC champs. I believe Corcoran and Hoops to take home the hardware.
I would definitely vote Brabson as COY. He stepped in and took over mid summer, has made several lineup changes due to lost players, and still made a good run. I believe if he had his full lineup, then things COULDVE been different. Nothing against Hoops or Alley...they both has had amazing teams and athletes and did phenomenal jobs.
Curious, does anyone know who the last COY was that didn't win the league?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

From Mason McCloy's manager - me the committee of one :

... I'm a sucker for a 6-5 BIG, that actually plays in the paint, rebounds/scores IN THE PAINT ... Mason McCloy is my man for SVC POY ...

Mason McCloy ... 16.9 ppg AND 15.5 rbpg ... he a had a stretch of 5 games in a row where he averaged 25.2 ppg and 20.2 rbpg !!! including the monster 23 point/32 rebound game vs a very good Lynchburg Clay squad ...

... averaged a double double on a lower tier D4 team ... I'm stuffing the ballot box LOL ... passing out the M&M's (for Mason McCloy) ... McCloy's my man and I'm sticking with him ...

bballsvcfan
Riding the Bench

Post by bballsvcfan »

I just looked at SVC sports zone stat leaders. Mowery is the only player listed in the top 15 of EVERY category. Corcoran only leads Mowery in one category ( made 3 pointers)! McCloy could not produce those big numbers against Unioto or Zane Trace. I believe it comes down to Nick or Pierce.

COY should be Hoops. He lost his first league game of the season, then runs the table. The loss to Piketon eliminates Alley and Brabson didn't win enough games in the league to justify getting the award. Hoops hands down!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Pioneer5 wrote:I just looked at SVC sports zone stat leaders. Mowery is the only player listed in the top 15 of EVERY category. Corcoran only leads Mowery in one category ( made 3 pointers)! McCloy could not produce those big numbers against Unioto or Zane Trace. I believe it comes down to Nick or Pierce.

COY should be Hoops. He lost his first league game of the season, then runs the table. The loss to Piketon eliminates Alley and Brabson didn't win enough games in the league to justify getting the award. Hoops hands down!

... not sure you can penalize a 6-5 , old school, in the paint player who is paid to rebound and score in the paint - doesn't handle the ball, doesn't hurt the team by wanting to be a guard and only live beyond the three point line ... vs Unioto/Zane Trace ? he went up against 2 of the most talented teams in the SVC, both would gear their D around keeping McCloy OFF the boards/out of the paint AND YET he still got his double doubles vs BOTH teams ( 15pt/11 rbs vs the Shermans/11 and 12 vs Zane Trace) he has in fact (based on the SVCsportszone stats) gotten his double double in every game they list stats for Paint Valley ...

vs Southeastern 13pts/15 rbs
vs Westfall 24/14
vs Peebles 14/14
vs Unioto 15/11
vs Zane Trace 11/12
vs Leesburg 18/15
vs Northwest 16/13
vs Piketon 16/17
vs Williamsburg 26/17
vs Lynchburg Clay 23/32
vs Piketon 21/16
vs Western 28/17
vs Adena 22/16
vs Westfall 29/19

... those are POY type numbers for any in the paint big in any league ...

Return to “Boys Basketball”