(7) Alexander vs (10) Waverly: Tuesday

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

(7) Alexander vs (10) Waverly: Tuesday

Post by 93Bulldog »

The Alexander Spartans (11-8) take on Waverly (8-13) Tuesday night in a D3 sectional game at Jackson High school at 8:00pm.

Alexander is 9-5 in its last 14 games, including wins over Nelsonville-York, Trimble, Meigs and Federal Hocking.

The game can be heard live on Power 105.5FM WXTQ or wxtq.com

TOURNAMENT INFO AND BROADCAST SCHEDULES BEING UPDATED DAILY ... http://trivalleyconference.com/

thoughts?

Dundas
SEOPS

Re: (7) Alexander vs (10) Waverly: Tuesday

Post by Dundas »

I've seen both teams play and this should be a pretty good one! I like Sparty by 8!

THE ROAD
Waterboy

Post by THE ROAD »

I look for Waverly to advance in this one

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

I always pull for the SOC teams once the tournament starts, but Waverly has not been playing very well with losses to Northwest and South Webster as of late. Alexander played Burg close, so I am afraid Waverly may have their hands full with this one. If Waverly can get hot from the outside they have a chance.

spartans_fan
Varsity

Post by spartans_fan »

How does the Spartans get a 7 seed when they beat the 6 seeded Fed Hock team by 20+ points?

I think this will be a good game coming down to the last two minutes of the game. Go Spartans!

G&B from huddle
JV Team

Post by G&B from huddle »

Everybody get seeded the same way: by politics

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

If Waverly can hit a better % of their shots and take care of the ball they should win. They will be without their best defender though.

Swampfox
Freshman Team

Post by Swampfox »

very close good game dont understand 21 extra fouls shots by Waverly 28 - 36 Alex 9-15 Alex made 17% of points from foul line Waverly almost 50%
Understand that some could be us shooting more 3's Alex 18-6 Waverly 11-3 but several of the 3's were at the end of the game. I think alot of coachs would be wondering about the difference. Always heard tournnament play not called as tight. Evidently someone didnt get the memo bagful of tic tacs passed out. With that said Good luck in the tournament hope for a deep run.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

I guess you had to be there Swampfox. With the exception of a coupe calls here and there it was a decently called game. Waverly faithful were dismayed at a couple charging calls made by one official but overall it wasn't bad. Many of the FT's came in the 4th down the stretch.

Gotta give a huge congrats to the Tigers for fighting and clawing back, not folding. Great great comeback.
Aaron Heibel leading the way with 20 points, most in the 2nd half, willing his team to victory. Eric Rinehart with 16 huge points, cleaning the glass and taking a couple charges while sick. Sophomore Jake Henderson going 4-4 from the line down the stretch, 2 of those with .2 to play to seal it. Pierce Knisley with a solid game, several rebounds, solid D. Amin Gilbert playing more minutes with the absence of Heffner, playing good defense and hitting two big FT's in the 4th. 6th man Joe Henderson with additional time and playing a nice game, especially defensively.

spartans_fan
Varsity

Post by spartans_fan »

I thought the Alexander defense was solid all night. The best defense adjustment that Waverly made was going to the zone. Alexander took too many quick shots against the zone which led to Waverly's comeback. Alex went from up 11 to down 7 in the second half, only to come back and tie it up with about 15 seconds left.

The free throw difference was due to Waverly consistently attacking the basket and forcing contact. The calls were no different one way or the other. The offensive boards were huge for Waverly.

Alexander says thanks to Chris Wingett for being the lone senior on a team attempting to change direction. He is a great young man that will be missed. I look forward to seeing where the Spartans go from here.

Go Spartans.

teddyb15
Riding the Bench

Post by teddyb15 »

Should Alex go in a different direction again next season since this direction didn't work?

fightintiger
Waterboy

Post by fightintiger »

What other direction would you go? I thought they were a pretty good basketball team for having little to no size and starting 3 sophomores. They got after it on the defensive end and just had an 8 minute stretch when they didn't shoot well. I think they will have a fine year next season.

teddyb15
Riding the Bench

Post by teddyb15 »

Those three sophomores started last year too. So all those underclass men all have experience. Alex also played the easiest schedule they have played in a long time. And all 4 games that they didn't make up would have been a loss.

catsandbucks
Riding the Bench

Post by catsandbucks »

Neon24 wrote:Those three sophomores started last year too. So all those underclass men all have experience. Alex also played the easiest schedule they have played in a long time. And all 4 games that they didn't make up would have been a loss.

Neon,
You are obviously one of the very few who are still holding on to the memory of how Gabriel was let go as head coach. If you watched one second of one game this season you would be able to tell just how much better of a brand of basketball the team played this season. Its been a year since Gabriel was let go. Get over it and be happy for the kids of Alexander for a great season because your complaining makes it look like you aren't happy for the kids.

goinbroke
Riding the Bench

Post by goinbroke »

I watched every game but 1 this year and last, and if you can't see significant improvement over last year, then you must have your head up your arse. Spartans defense was much improved, guard play was much improved, shots were spread out more evenly amongst the players, rebounding overall was good considering Spartans had no one over 6 feet tall. It seemed like someone different every night stepped up. Mosley took his rightful place as a leader and played very well and consistantly all year. Chapman found his stroke this year and played much bigger than 5'10". Howard and Thompson came off of the bench and played excellently especially down the stretch. With the exception of Cory Chapman and Grigsby, the team is a bunch of 2's and 3's. Spartans have some height coming next year that should even the disparity out with the taller teams. Kearns learned a lot this year as a first year head coach too. As for me, I'm not willing to "go another direction" yet. The team finished the season about where I would have expected...even won a few games unexpectedly. With the exception of Athens and the one NY game, these boys fought hard and were very competitive. However, there shouldn't be any excuses for next year as this will be an experienced team with some skilled players. They won't have that dominate big man inside, but will have some taller timber to counteract some of the teams with size.
Go Spartans!

morgeen
Riding the Bench

Post by morgeen »

Spartys are on the right path. Tigers just played good down the stretch. I got to see them earlier in the year and I saw improvement in the team that played Waverly Tuesday. Hard fought game

teddyb15
Riding the Bench

Post by teddyb15 »

I guess I just had higher expectations for the Spartans. I thought they would win 15-16 games this season. It was a very easy schedule. They won what 10 games and only two wins were against teams with winning records (NY and FH). They should continue to get better as they mature and grow as young men. I guess I expected too much

Return to “Boys Basketball”