Coach Howie Caldwell

whompascat
All Conference

Re: Coach Howie Caldwell

Post by whompascat »

I like how when Trimble did have 5 subs in F.H. was pressing them with their 5 starters

tomcat fan
All Conference

Post by tomcat fan »

Trimble is trying to improve and get ready for the tournament. Get over it

M0TIVAT0R
All Conference

Post by M0TIVAT0R »

Dundas wrote:
Binary wrote:I just got a pm from a Trimble poster who informed me that 3 of the 5 starters for Trimble tonight did not start last year. Also that one of them did not even play, and the other two played JV. His point he claimed is that it's not like Trimble had 4 or 5 starters coming back from last years team. According to him they had one full time starter, Couch, and Jenkins who started some games, coming back.
I do believe Trimble finished the season last year around .500
Yes Trimble was 10-10 last season. They graduated 3 full time starters as well as their 6th man, who started some games. So maybe instead of saying Howie chases talent a more accurate statement might be Howie develops talent. For years I read on here how "Howie gets the most out of his players." Never once did I read that he chases talent, until he got to Trimble and started winning.

The Enforcer
SEO

Post by The Enforcer »

I just watched the game on channel 15 , it didn't look to Me that Howie was trying to run up the score it Was just the Cats was hitting everything and Fed couldn't stop the Trimble 5th grade Girls

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

… I have never met Coach Howie Caldwell but I have watched the product he puts on the floor everywhere he's been - ALWAYS outstanding … ALWAYS has the "Howie Caldwell" MO … I ALWAYS know what I am going to see on the court even before I see a Howie Caldwell coached TEAM play - Howie DEMANDS an inside presence … Howie DEMANDS his perimeter people feed the post … Howie DEMANDS that his perimeter people & post players work together with that 2 man. 3 man game of the pick & roll, feeding the post from the perimeter and having an INSIDE passing game as well where he DEMANDS his post players be able to see the floor and make that extra pass … Howie DEMANDS "execution" - ANY level of talent that "executes" at both ends of the floor gets "W's"- end of story … I would love to have any of my kids play for a Howie Caldwell coached team … what Coach Caldwell DEMANDS "on the court" can be applied to life long after hoops … as a cheap seat guy who see's a lot of hoops every year, a cheap seat guy who has become knowledgeable of which coaches who truly KNOW the game , KNOW how to teach the game and KNOW how to get kids to execute on the floor during the game - Coach Howie Caldwell has earned my respect …

… chasing talent ? I have seen MANY coaches who HAVE in fact chased talent BUT are not capable of "developing that talent to reach it's potential " … Coach Howie Caldwell develops ALL of the players talent on his roster - with the most talented, Coach DEMANDS the fundamentals that WILL make the player the best he can be individually while improving TEAM … good players , mediocre players have the same demands placed on them - to improve individually while becoming a piece of TEAM … Coach Caldwell is a winner , his TEAMS are winners …

Last edited by pfloyd on Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Enforcer
SEO

Post by The Enforcer »

pfloyd wrote:… I have never met Coach Howie Caldwell but I have watched the product he puts on the floor everywhere he's been - ALWAYS outstanding … ALWAYS has the "Howie Caldwell" MO … I ALWAYS know what I am going to see on the court even before I see a Howie Caldwell coached TEAM play - Howie DEMANDS an inside presence … Howie DEMANDS his perimeter people feed the post … Howie DEMANDS that his perimeter people & post players work together together with that 2 man. 3 man game of the pick & roll, feeding the post from the perimeter and having a INSIDE passing game as well where he DEMANDS his post players be able to see the floor and make that extra pass … Howie DEMANDS "execution" - ANY level of talent that "executes" at both ends of the floor gets "W's" … I would love to have any of my kids play for a Howie Caldwell coached team … what Coach Caldwell DEMANDS "on the court" can be applied to life long after hoops … as a cheap seat guy who see's a lot of hoops every year, a cheap seat guy who has become knowledgeable of which coaches who truly KNOW the game , KNOW how to teach the game and KNOW how to get kids to execute on the floor during game time - Coach Howie Caldwell has earned my respect …

… chasing talent ? I have seen MANY coaches who HAVE in fact chased talent BUT are not capable of 'developing that talent to reach it's potential " … Coach Howie Caldwell develops ALL of the players talent on that bench - with the most talented Coach DEMANDS the fundamentals that WILL make the player the best he can be individually while improving TEAM … good players , mediocre players have the same demands - to improve individually while becoming a piece of TEAM … Coach is a winner , his TEAMS are winners …

VERY WeLL SAID

Alexander hitman
Varsity

Post by Alexander hitman »

Like him or hate him ... He is ways entertaining to watch ...

rockbiter
Freshman Team

Post by rockbiter »

If he wants to coach at school A, and the board wants to hire him, who the H***'s business is it? I don't imagine he gives a rat's a** whether you like him or not. The guy has been an outstanding coach for years, and is STILL an outstanding coach. It is nobody's business WHERE he coaches.

g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

Wow. Kinda struck a nerve in the "Howie Nation".

I had a really cool (but long) response ready to post but my imac froze up. So rather that re-type it, let me just make it simple for you.

Do I care where he coaches? No Do I have an opinion of why he coaches so many places? Yes Do I agree with why he coaches? no
Do I think he is a good coach? yes Has he been successful? yes Do I respect him as a coach? no Do I think he has a lot of class? no
Is Trimble good with him? obviously yes Would Trimble be still good without him? yes, fine group of young men and I wish them continued success
Will I change the opinion of posters on this site? No Do I care if I change their opinions? No
Do I think he will be at Trimble next year? probably yes Do I think he will be at Trimble the following year? No (Belpre and Meigs have nice young talent) and I don't care.

This pretty much sums it up for me. So go ahead guys and sing his praises. I'm done.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I am impressed he can still walk. You'd think his heels would be too bruised to walk.

The Enforcer
SEO

Post by The Enforcer »

Ironman92 wrote:I am impressed he can still walk. You'd think his heels would be too bruised to walk.
He had a broken foot earlier this yesr

Golfer101
JV Team

Post by Golfer101 »

I don't know if he left his starters in or not but has someone who played the game I think it is more humiliating for a coach on the opposing team to quit. People get all wrapped up in weather someone left their starters in or not. What makes the difference if you get beat by 32 or if you get beat by 40. I think Fed came into this game as the number 2 team in the TVC. If anything GW should be made at FED for laying down and not even making this a game. No wonder kids are soft today someone is always blaming someone else or making excuses.

tomcatsroll
Freshman Team

Post by tomcatsroll »

I was at the game. Howie did not leave his starts in the whole fourth quarter. After Clarked dunked the ball in the forth quarter (about a minute into the 4th) he pulled his startes. The 2nd team outscored the Fed starters. Clark didn't even start the game and set on the bench until about 3 minutes left in the 2nd quarter. And to talk about class how about all the sign and different things going on when Trimble went to Federal Hocking to play?????? Where is the post about all of that?????

Trimble is a fast team and they do have great talent. Last year's team was also just as good but didn't have the leadership that Howie brings. Howie would have taken that team last year and went undefeated.

Binary
JV Team

Post by Binary »

G W McLintock wrote:Wow. Kinda struck a nerve in the "Howie Nation".

I had a really cool (but long) response ready to post but my imac froze up. So rather that re-type it, let me just make it simple for you.

Do I care where he coaches? No Do I have an opinion of why he coaches so many places? Yes Do I agree with why he coaches? no
Do I think he is a good coach? yes Has he been successful? yes Do I respect him as a coach? no Do I think he has a lot of class? no
Is Trimble good with him? obviously yes Would Trimble be still good without him? yes, fine group of young men and I wish them continued success
Will I change the opinion of posters on this site? No Do I care if I change their opinions? No
Do I think he will be at Trimble next year? probably yes Do I think he will be at Trimble the following year? No (Belpre and Meigs have nice young talent) and I don't care.

This pretty much sums it up for me. So go ahead guys and sing his praises. I'm done.
Actually, I think a nerve was struck with you when not many joined in with you suddenly losing respect for a coach after one game. Look at it this way, you say "...he coaches so many places..." He has coached at 4 schools in 40 or so years. Let's see, that's an average of 10 years per school. Sorry he spent only 3 or 4 years at your school, and you got butt hurt about it. Maybe coach Butcher will stay there and coach longer this time?

Fan of The Blue and Gold
Freshman Team

Post by Fan of The Blue and Gold »

40 yrs? If my math is correct it is closer to 30 than 40.

Were these 4 schools in the same league? Did each of those schools run out of talent while the new school had talent coming up? Did he move to each new community? Just wondering!

g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

Binary wrote:
G W McLintock wrote:Wow. Kinda struck a nerve in the "Howie Nation".

Actually, I think a nerve was struck with you when not many joined in with you suddenly losing respect for a coach after one game. Look at it this way, you say "...he coaches so many places..." He has coached at 4 schools in 40 or so years. Let's see, that's an average of 10 years per school. Sorry he spent only 3 or 4 years at your school, and you got butt hurt about it. Maybe coach Butcher will stay there and coach longer this time?
You just don't get it do you? "after 1 game"? "butt hurt"

Obviously you didn't understand the simple version so I will try to explain it to you.
I don't care what school he coaches at. The gist of my post was about respect.
I respected Howie when he was at Southern, Eastern, Fed Hock and Trimble. I've scouted for him, coached against him and had long conversations with the man. I've known Howie since he was an assistant in Racine and yes I was involved with him getting the job at FH. He said he had wanted to coach at FH for years. I could give you lots of details about his past but it really doesn't matter, I'm talking about my respect for someone that I considered a friend. So the Boo Ho comments are very true but not because of where he is but because I've realized what he is.

My former friend chases talent. Always has and always will. He recognized last year that Trimble (that talentless 10-10 team that lost to Peebles in the district tourney and had an undefeated JV basketball team as well as the state runner up in football) might have just a few athletes in the program. Side note: Some of the posters on this site have really sold Trimble short. The community and Trimble parents deserve the credit for this group of players, not Caldwell. Sure they lost 3 starters- but Jenkins, Couch and Clarke all returned. As well as Guthrie coming off a great JV season and Downs (all state football player) in the mix. He told more than 1 person last year that he would like to coach that group of kids. He then tells the FH players that he is retiring to spend more time with his grandchildren just before he left. Again I don't care where he coaches but geez, if you're going to leave, leave with some class. Respect -1

I've promised not to give the details of a promise he made to an injured player but let's just say Respect-2

As for the talent he has "developed" at Trimble... Give me a break. Are we expected to believe that he developed this talented group since May?

32 point lead after 3 quarters (the opposing team had only scored 26 points in 3 quarters) and playing your starters to midway of the 4th quarter? In my book respected coaches don't do that. Respect-3.

In conclusion, I wish all the best to Trimble and my several friends there. They have a very talented team and should be proud of the success they've had and there is more success in their future. Just don't give all the credit to the coach.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

Like him or not he can coach. However must coaches would be embarrassed by the shirts that are going around. "He's our Howie now" and something about a stomp? If I were coaching I'd want the attention on the kids not me and certainly not have people selling a shirt that promotes the coach! I'm surprised he hasn't ask them to stop selling them!

G.W.A.
All Conference

Post by G.W.A. »

Its obvious he follows the talent, so what.
The most impressive thing to me about him or any coach for that matter is the ability to change with the times from mid 80's till now and still be coaching without flipping out on some kid with an attitude and snapping mentally.

ONE OF A KIND
Varsity

Post by ONE OF A KIND »

athens78 wrote:Like him or not he can coach. However must coaches would be embarrassed by the shirts that are going around. "He's our Howie now" and something about a stomp? If I were coaching I'd want the attention on the kids not me and certainly not have people selling a shirt that promotes the coach! I'm surprised he hasn't ask them to stop selling them!
He can coach. Last years Trimble team had more "talented" players than this year, and they were 10-10 last year. I do agree that the shirts are silly. I also think someone got a little red aszed when Howie put it on his team, but hey that's one good thing about this site when you can come on after a loss and vent about how you use to like a coach and now you are sore at him. Good reading too. :lol:

sportslifelove
Freshman Team

Post by sportslifelove »

athens78 wrote:Like him or not he can coach. However must coaches would be embarrassed by the shirts that are going around. "He's our Howie now" and something about a stomp? If I were coaching I'd want the attention on the kids not me and certainly not have people selling a shirt that promotes the coach! I'm surprised he hasn't ask them to stop selling them!

Its obvious that Howie likes the attention and focus. He is a "watch me coach kind of guy". Talent chaser for sure but hard to blame him if schools keep hiring him knowing he has no loyalty and will stab them in the back the first chance he gets!

Return to “Boys Basketball”