Has the three pointer killed basketball?

Grinder
Freshman Team

Has the three pointer killed basketball?

Post by Grinder »

Looking at several of the scores I see most teams scoring in the forties or even thirties these days. Years ago most teams scored in the seventies and eighties. I would even see the century mark broken occasionally. I can't help but wonder if the three pointer has killed offenses. Today you see players standing around the three point arc waiting to shoot. Years ago players kicked the ball out and got it down the floor. IMO I think the three pointer has made offenses suffer.

shady 75
Freshman Team

Re: Has the three pointer killed basketball?

Post by shady 75 »

Eastern pike lives and dies by the 3 pt shot. And has for last few years! When the 3's aren't falling they don't win.

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

You have a little point. However, 3 point line has been around since 1988 if I remember.
I really think AAU/ shootouts/ etc.. are killing the game. No more focus on fundamentals, just play as much as possible. Look at top teams I will show you fundamental team that is well coached. Also, kids don't shoot enough. I remember kids shooting on their own many nights and now you barely see anyone doing that. Think about it, when is the last time you drove by and saw a kid shooting? Not playing, but shooting!

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

Players are bigger, stronger, and faster now. Defenses are a lot better at keeping pace with offensive innovation. It used to be that a big strong kid in the middle was good for 20 points a game. Now, it's very difficult to work the ball into the low post against a good defense. Remember the wheel offense leading to lots of open layups down the lane in the 90's? Team defense is much better than it used to be.

mray23
All Conference

Post by mray23 »

Regulator wrote:You have a little point. However, 3 point line has been around since 1988 if I remember.
I really think AAU/ shootouts/ etc.. are killing the game. No more focus on fundamentals, just play as much as possible. Look at top teams I will show you fundamental team that is well coached. Also, kids don't shoot enough. I remember kids shooting on their own many nights and now you barely see anyone doing that. Think about it, when is the last time you drove by and saw a kid shooting? Not playing, but shooting!
Regulator, you are absolutely right on point. you can look at the college game, also. you don't see the shooters you used to see 10 years ago. everybody wants to dunk and be on a highlight reel because that's what all these kids see on sportscenter. nobody can make FT's anymore either, the best FT shooting teams are only averaging 70% when it used to be around 80% for teams.

The Gloaming
Freshman Team

Post by The Gloaming »

Thank Sony, Microsot, Apple, Verizon, sprint etc. kids don't hone their game anymore. I agree that players are in the weight room and are stronger but their fundamentals are neglected and it shows in these 43-36 games. That's a half time score 10 years ago in every gym in Ohio. It's not defense.
Kids don't care, I saw wellston vs Athens last year and wellston was down 30 in the second half and their kids were laughing on the court about it.
And I keep telling myself that I'm one of those guys that thinks the past was always better but it's true now. Trimble is 18-0,19-0? Match that group against any of Howies 2001-2006 teams at Eastern and it's a 20pt+ loss for the tomcats, and those eastern teams would occasionally lose in conference.
The game has been watered down, too much else going on, you've got your life on a 3.5x5 screen, why do anything else? The college game is suffering too, one and dones, aau ball, but a large part is due to kids not working as hard on their game.

Look no further than the last 3 or 4 nba drafts at what's going on and it's only getting worse. No time to put in work

SVCFan
Waterboy

Post by SVCFan »

All you old farts are going to have fun with this one!

The Gloaming
Freshman Team

Post by The Gloaming »

PuddinFat wrote:All you old farts are going to have fun with this one!
Haha, I personally love the 3pt shot.
Ball has declined though...it's a sad reality

nice guy
Varsity

Post by nice guy »

Too much "street ball" (AAU). Even so called good coaches just let the kid run around like "chickens with their heads cut off." Hardly anybody runs an offense today. Just circle around the three point line and jack it. It gets worse every year.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Teams average 58 a game. I wish there was a 30 second shot clock but teams back in the day played zero defense like they do today

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

The three point line has not declined the overall game at all. If anything, it has increased the scoring opportunities and a way for coaches to develop a different game plan. However, the lack of basic team fundamental basketball and discipline being enforced or taught at the developing ages has been a contributing factor in decreasing the "team" basketball mentality and encouraged the "Me" factor.

The game has and will evolve into what our generations put into the game and especially during the off season. If a young man travels around the Summer and plays street ball style of basketball...it will only carry over and eventually become the norm.

As with everything, the game style has changed and will continue to change with the times. That doesn't mean the style is bad, but simply different and harder for the older generation to accept.

Hopper 11
JV Team

Post by Hopper 11 »

RAIDER6309 wrote:Teams average 58 a game. I wish there was a 30 second shot clock but teams back in the day played zero defense like they do today
. You obviously wasn't born back in the day.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Basketball has become a more Me sport than team but the athletes are a lot better. Not so much down here but in the OCC, even the waterboy can dunk

Jtaylor304
Freshman Team

Post by Jtaylor304 »

The 3 point shot has nothing to do with the game changing !! The kids who are average or below average aren't working on their games enough, the kids with God given Natural abilities aren't working on their game enough ...There's not a lot of self-motivated Athletes period!! Kids arent out during the spring and summer playing ball anymore, that's where you developed fundamentals /skills. You didn't run plays on the play grounds so I'm not blaming AAU or Shootouts because quite frankly ever kid just ain't that good bottom line. AAU(if the kid is good enough and can afford the expenses ) just gives you a better chance to compete vs great competition across the whole country (if your child is good enough to play on that level) . video games and social media , cell phones etc have taking up hours that use to be spent outdoors. its the parents fault who buy the things, who aren't pushing the kids, who allow 12-15 hrs per day doing "nothing " its not the 3 point line. its not that kids are being selfish and want to do it all, sometimes others simply can't(because of lack of abilities ) I will never say someone is trying to do everything when I'm watching a game and clearly notice that that player by far is the best one on the floor and the only one who can create or do anything with the ball in his hand(in a half court set your best option is a 1on 1 "if you're not wide open", next is a 2 on 1 situation ...that's what every play is drawn up for "or should be"so when you have a kid who can simply take advantage of the 1 on 1 then that's what it is) (maybe he's one of the few who still works on his game). Why fault him? No one shoots every shot for their team so its impossible to do it all. I always here folk say"he can't make others around him better " , How? You're either a player or you're not. Also the rule changes have messed the game up, the officiating has messed the game up, not the 3 point shot... I wish like heck they would put a shot clock in high school basketball, then these teams with less talent can't just hold the ball all quater because they fear another player....The Sport itself is watered Down and is only going to get. to get worse.....what we must understand is everyone just ain't that good lol

Jtaylor304
Freshman Team

Post by Jtaylor304 »

Some kids and parents should be thankful for the 3 point line, js

knightruner
JV Team

Post by knightruner »

Want to see higher scores put in the shot clock and do away with the zone defense. Now you have to play ball or get ur butt kick.

Grinder
Freshman Team

Post by Grinder »

I think the three point shot should be out lawed at the grade school level. I think that is where it is hurting shooting skills. Kids aren't strong enough to shoot a three at that level with any form on their shot. Go to a grade school game and watch kids warm up they stand behind the three point line and launch shots with all they can to get it there. They are not learning how to shoot with any form what so ever. The three has been mastered by some high school players and made the game exciting on the other side of the argument. An example say Warren was down 3 last year with not much time. Who wouldn't think French had a high % of making a three to tie the game. I can see both sides of the argument but I do think it hurts in the lower levels where kids aren't strong enough to shoot it with any form. I think scoring was higher in the old days because teams got after it and pressed and ran the ball. There wasn't a lot of walking the ball down the floor in those days.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Its like anything in life, u have fat old white guys making the rules for kids that have no idea the game is way faster and played above the rim. The old generation has destroyed the college game. Virginia is embarrassing to watch

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

Kids play a lot more basketball now. Man to man defense has an entire manual to counter different offensive techniques. Your 30 year old offense is passe.

Grinder
Freshman Team

Post by Grinder »

RAIDER6309 wrote:Its like anything in life, u have fat old white guys making the rules for kids that have no idea the game is way faster and played above the rim. The old generation has destroyed the college game. Virginia is embarrassing to watch
. Wow I thought Virginia was a 2015 team. The Virginia team I watched had Ralph Sampson, Jeff Lamp and Jones that were all exciting to watch and played above the rim. Do a little research before you act like a little punk ass.

Return to “Boys Basketball”