(poll) Pfloyd's Elite 8 (final edition) - Tournament Thread

of the Elite 8 teams - which one will be the 'last team standing'?

Total votes: 0

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

(poll) Pfloyd's Elite 8 (final edition) - Tournament Thread

Post by 93Bulldog »

... another great regular season Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ... as is ALWAYS the case the cream has risen to the top and in the "final edition" of the Elite 8 rankings I have put the two best teams in Southern/Southeastern Ohio where they deserve to be - at the top, #1 ... Coach LaFon of Ironton, Coach Maddox of Warren Local have led their respective teams to where there has been no question for the 12 weeks of action that they are the best of the best ... Ironton made a Florida swing over the holidays taking on the big boys in FLA while Warren made short order of their opponents here in the Buckeye state from start to finish of the season going 21-1 ... both teams started the 2012-13 campaign 1 & 2, both TEAMS are expected to make tournament runs that backup their ranking, both TEAMS have dented the AP state rankings, both TEAMS have "business" to take care of in the post season - Ironton's seniors are eyeing a final four appearance; Warren's mix of seniors/underclassmen are looking to get over the hump/take the next step in developing the Big Bad Blue program by winning a District title ... Congratulations to Southern/Southeastern Ohio's two best on the hardwood for 2012-13 - the D3 Ironton Fighting Tigers, and D2's Warren Warriors ...

Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Final Edition

1. Ironton (18-2)/ Warren (21-1)

2. Eastern Brown (20-2)

3. Piketon (19-3)

4. Eastern Pike (17-3)

5. Minford (17-4)

6. Vinton County (17-4)/ Athens (18-4)

7. Oak Hill (18-4)

8. Lucasville Valley (17-5)

... TreeHugger Wannabes ...

Miami Trace (15-6)
Portsmouth Notre Dame (18-3)
Zane Trace (16-5)
Federal Hocking (17-5)
Chesapeake (16-5)
Nelsonville York (16-6)
Fairland (16-6)
South Webster (14-7)
Logan Elm (14-8)
Sheridan (15-7))
Unioto ( 14-8)
Peebles (15-7)
Washington CH (14-8)
Coal Grove (16-5)
Portsmouth West (11-10)
North Adams (12-10)
Whiteoak (12-9)
Portsmouth (10-12)
Logan (8-14)
Portsmouth East (13-7)
Fairfield Union (10-11)
Greenfield McClain (10-12)
Hillsboro (9-12)
Fairfield Leesburg (11-11)
Southeastern (10-11)
Belpre (12-9)
Gallia Academy (8-13)
Chillicothe (7-15)
Southern (10-11)
Lynchburg Clay (9-11)
Wheelersburg (8-13)
Wellston (11-11)
Symmes Valley (11-10)
Westfall (6-14)
Paint Valley (7-14)
Meigs (9-11)
Trimble (10-12)
Huntington (9-12)
Waverly (7-15)
Circleville (7-15)
Wahama (8-14)
Reedsville Eastern (8-14)
Crooksville (8-11)
New Lexington (8-14)
Green (7-13)
South Point (8-13))
South Gallia (6-16)
Miller (9-13)
Marietta (7-13)
Waterford (7-12)
Alexander (4-17)
St. Joseph (7-14)
Rock Hill (5-14)
Western Pike (5-15)
Manchester (5-16)
Adena (4-18)
New Boston (4-15)
Portsmouth Clay (4-15)

...Teams on the End Table ...

River Valley (3-18)
West Union (3-19)
Northwest (2-16)
Jackson (1-20)

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: (poll) Pfloyd's Elite 8 (final edition) - Tournament Thr

Post by 93Bulldog »

Happy B-day FLOYD ... I got you a fresh new SEOPS napkin ... lol ... new thread, new poll ... its stickied and all ready to go buddy.

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

Hard to take in that the regular season is over and into District play..WOW...where did it go?
Pfloyd,,,Thank you for hanging in there and keeping SE Ohio BB on the net..
I voted for IHS in the poll on top of this post just because of the teams they played
and how they did against them...I would in no way have left Warren out but I just
like IHS better...Now this is coming from a very old Trojan.....would be great
to see all the teams go deep......
wipala

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Teams that have made it to the Convo for Basketball Thirty are listed in Red ... ALL of the Convo invites are now out !!! Congratulations to ALL of the teams who played their way to Basketball Thirty this post season ... best of luck to all those taking the court at the Convo ...

Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Final Edition

1. Ironton (18-2)/ Warren (21-1)

2. Eastern Brown (20-2)

3. Piketon (19-3)

4. Eastern Pike (17-3)

6. Vinton County (17-4)/ Athens (18-4)

7. Oak Hill (18-4)

... TreeHugger Wannabes ...

Miami Trace (15-6)
Portsmouth Notre Dame (18-3)
Zane Trace (16-5)

South Webster (14-7)

Portsmouth East (13-7)

Fairfield Leesburg (11-11)

Crooksville (8-11)

Miller (9-13)

...Teams on the End Table ...

Gone

Last edited by pfloyd on Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Darn it WATERFORD ... you ruined my mojo with Miller ... I wanted that 'last team in red to make the Convo' title reserved for the Falcons ... lol

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... looking at the teams that are making the trip to the Convo off of the "Elite 8 - Final Edition" I feel good about the rankings as ALL of the Elite 8 are at "the Show" many in the top end of the TreeHugger List played themselves in, AND a "good" spread from the last 2/3's of the Treehuuger List are going to here Lou announce their names and play on the Big Boy court as well ... I'm satisfied that the "majority" of the teams listed were ranked pretty darn close to right on the money (even Miller) for the season ... the committee of one - me - will sleep well ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... it's time to load up, head for A'town ... I'm smilin' ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

and here I thought you would be 'having nightmares' over ranking Miller too low ... go figure.

tonights 1st game could prove you wrong right off the rip, Floyd ... Logan Elm was about 10 sports BELOW Miami Trace ... just sayin.

:)

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

pfloyd wrote:... it's time to load up, head for A'town ... I'm smilin' ...
Hopefully the VW bus makes it Floyd ... that darn thing has to be on its last leg by now ... didn't you drive her to Woodstock back in the day?

good grief - its got to have a lot of miles on it.

See ya in the 'cheap seats' ... I'll be sure to holler at ya before I take my spot amongst the 'Big Wigs' on press row ... :mrgreen:

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Can't wait to get back in the convo this year

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

My first year going and getting to watch one of my boys play on the Convo floor. It's been a great year for area basketball and the SOC1&2 are represented by some very good teams. Oak Hill,Valley,Minford,South Webster,Portsmouth East,Notre Dame , Beaver Eastern good luck to you all keep it up !!

playa_44
JV Team

Post by playa_44 »

Great job Pfloyd, good read! Headed to the convo this year to watch some basketball. Heck yea!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Athens 59
Chillicothe 49

... what a tale of 2 halves ... Athens in the first 2 quarters put up 14 points - TOTAL ...the Bulldogs (IF that's who was on the Convo court in the White uni's- I'm still working on the theory that someone kidnapped the AHS boys and we watched a shadow of the Athens team in half #1) ... 11 TOs ... 0/4 shooting from behind the arc, a team that looked so unlike the Bulldog squad we have become familiar with in the 2012-13 regular season ... Chillicothe? the Cavs (at least that's who was supposed to be on the opposite side of the mid court line) focused, quick, a team that took the "Convo Factor" out of the equation by getting to the rim - 5 of their first 6 baskets were "at the rim" not from the perimeter ... defensively the Cavs (if that's who they really were) were the aggressor - getting to the loose balls, forcing Athens turnovers , this team was so unlike any Cavs team in any game this season... the scoreboard showed Chillicothe 27 Athens 14 at intermission ... Zack Johnson for Chillicothe put up 16 points on his own ball in half #1 ... Zach Johnson 16 Athens 14 at the half ... half time allows coaches to make "changes"/"adjustments", I'm thinking' Coach Skinner will be bottling his half time "pep talk" - what a difference a half makes ... Athens hit the floor running/upping the defensive pressure, turned up the tempo of the offense - Ibi Watson kick started the AHS "O" with a big 3 ball in Athen's first possession, Athens began taking the ball to the rim - Burrow/Saltzman/Watson put the Bulldog offense on their backs for 14 points ... Athens picked up the pressure defensively forcing 8 Cav turnovers in the 3rd, limiting Chillicothe to 7 points in the 3rd ... shutting out Zach Johnson ... Johnson 16 Athens 28 ... Athens 28 Chillicothe 34 after three ... the 4th and final quarter was all Athens - 31 points in the qtr. ... 12/13 from the FT Line ... Burrow/Watson/Saltzman took over ... that's a sophomore and 2 freshmen taking over the game inside and out in the 4th ( Burrow 8 pts/Watson 13 pts/Saltzman 7 pts ... throw in the "old man" Jared Elmore picking up the go ahead bucket at the 4:46 mark of the 4th Athens 40 Cavs 39 ... scoring went back and forth Athens took a 47-46 lead with the ball ... 2:10 left in the game ... Zach Johnson with a steal at mid court ... nothing but open court to the rim and a Cavs lead, Johnson elevated for the dunk ............ didn't happen, a dunk that wasn't a dunk - ended up a TO - Athens ball ... Athens finds Zacchia Saltzman in the left corner for the 3 ... a 5 point swing on the "not dunk" + Saltzman trey ... Athens got the separation they needed 50-46 ... the beginning of the end for CHS as the Cavs were forced to foul, Athens responded with Watson going 7/7 from the line,Saltzman 4/4 from the line overall 12/13 in the 4th period for the Bulldogs ... game, set and match as Athens gets the "W" 59-49 to advance to take on Miami Trace next Thursday night for a District Championship ...

Pfloyd Napkin Stats -Chillicothe

Scoring : Zach Johnson 25,Nate Rosenbaurer 7, Adam Bixler 6, Tommy Bolte 5, Nolan Taylor 4, Tim Beard 2

3 Pointers : 6/19 ... Johnson 4, Rosenbaurer 1, Bolte 1

FT's : 1/1

TO's : 20

Pfloyd Napkin Stats - Athens

Scoring : Ibi Watson 20, Zaccia Saltzman 13, Joey Burrow 12, Jared Elmore 9, Ryan Luehrman 3, Adam Luehrman 2

3 Pointers : 4/11 ... Burrow 2, Watson 1, Saltzman 1

FTs : 15/19 ... 12/13 in the 4th period

TO : 16

Last edited by pfloyd on Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

good stuff Floyd ... I really think some folks (like myself) actually wait in anticipation to read your 'game re-caps' ... lol ... reminds me of when I use to get up early on Sunday's just to read Tom Metters article in the Messenger ... no computers back then - you had to wait until morning.

:)

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

great recap pfloyd, felt as tho I was there, nice job hitting the freebies for Athens, you need to hit em, to get deep in this thing...and oh so young wow what a future

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... 10 games into the 3 weeks of the Convo already!!! great first week of action with D2's/D3's in the books ...

D2's

Logan Elm 41
Miami Trace 48

Athens 59
Chillicothe 49

Warren 50
Unioto 39

Vinton Co. 65
Fairland 61

D3's

Eastern Brown 64
Southeastern 44

Oak Hill 49
Meigs 32

Crooksville 65
Minford 59

Piketon 55
Lucasville Valley 49

Ironton 80
North Adams 33

Zane Trace 59
Lynchburg Clay 45

... clearly the BEST of the BEST in ANY division is the Ironton Fighting Tigers ... North Adams IS NOT as bad as this score shows, NA just happened to be in the path of the an Ironton ball club on a mission - Final 4 or bust ... Zac Carter IS THE BEST player in Southern/Southeastern Ohio no matter the position - scoring inside/outside, getting into the paint, rebounding from the perimeter, on the ball defense on the perimeter, quickness/speed ... throw in the BIGS for I'town Trey Fletcher/Trevor White/Aaron Stephens - they control the boards at both ends of the floor ... offensively Fletcher is a threat to score at the rim anytime Carter gets into the paint - teams HAVE TO STOP Carter before he gets to the rim but it sets up Fletcher breaking baseline to the rim ... heck when the Carter/Fletcher duo went to the bench the remaining Tigers on the floor are arguably the 2nd best team in D3 Below the Line !!!

Eastern Brown is a very solid basketball team, any Coach Beucler squad plays defense - this years EB TEAM is no exception - they simply do not let you score easily, when EB scores, gets separation on the scoreboard coming down the stretch it is difficult to reduce the lead ... offensively tonight EB had 4 players in double figures - Lawson/Scott 17 each,Marcus Day 11, Riley Prine 10 ... it's ALL upside for the Warriors ...

... I came away very impressed with Crooksville in their win over Minford ... 3 players in double figures - Caleb Jago 24, Mitchell Swingle 20, Austin Ebert 10 ... a good, strong inside presence in 6-3 Swingle matched by the outside shooting of both Jago and Ebert ... very good role player in Lake Channel , Dakota Jones, Dalton Rollison ... the good MVL schedule definitely helped the smallest of the MVL teams ...

... Oak Hill is a typical Norm Persin team ... fundamentally sound at both ends of the floor, patient on the offensive end working the ball until they get the ball into the right players hands in the location on the floor where he can score ... Persin teams have always tried to control the tempo of the game - the 2012-13 Oaks are a prototypical Norm Persin ball club ... the Oaks weakness on the night was when Meigs pressured on the perimeter in the 4th quarter ( 8 Oaks turnovers) - my guess is that Oak Hill will see a lot of pressure early and often vs Eastern Brown in the next round ...

... Piketon was down 10 with 4:35 to go in the game ... PHS pressured the ball, Valley had difficulty getting the ball up court, 6 turnovers in a little over 2 minutes, a 12-0 run by PHS put the Streaks in the drivers seat down the stretch ... Craigen Moore (19 pts) was money at the line in the 4th going 7/8 from the FT line ... while Colten Williams was solid in the 4th with 7 pts on his ball ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... it has been great to watch all of these games with 'preps friends ... good to see the Portsmouth contingent in attendance with trojandave/biggdowgg and the "readers", Hopper11, 32 16 6, 93bulldog were taking the action at the Convo as well, have run into Trey Fletcher's dad -" I kept an eye on #44 , he's a player Mr. F!" , it was great seeing past players on benches at the Convo among the coaching ranks! - Evan Blake for Logan Elm, Evan Salyers for Fairland ... Coach Speed of Fairland made his way to the cheap seats for a little chat with pfloyd !- seems to be just like the many other coaches in Southern Ohio I have met - a class act AND a great coach/teacher of the game ... Fred Gibson of Athens coaching fame , the Warren coaching staff - Coach Maddox, Coaches Duckworth & Mitchem ... Coach Swinehart visited the cheap seats as he watched his alma mater - Crooksville ... ran into Coach Taylor for Piketon ... Vinton County's own Ty Webb sat with those of us in the cheap seats as well ... Coach Skinner of Athens ... all of this makes the 3 Weeks of the Convo special ... love this time of the year !!!

Last edited by pfloyd on Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Pfloyd great running into you as well. Glad the Streaks made a run at the end to continue their run. Anytime you want to come to the Oven and watch at a Piketon game, let me know and we will roll out the red carpet!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

eagles73 wrote:Anytime you want to come to the Oven and watch at a Piketon game, let me know and we will roll out the red carpet!
From scarfs - to free pizza's - to homemade pies ...... and no he's getting the "red carpet treatment"

Won't be long now and we'll be seeing the Red Streaks atop the rankings .... lol

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Thats how the AP works, why not floyd? lol

Return to “Boys Basketball”