State Champs from the Southeast District

pembrook burrows III
JV Team

State Champs from the Southeast District

Post by pembrook burrows III »

As the 70 boys basketball teams from the Southeast District begin Sectional competition this week, I thought it would be timely to take a look at which teams from the Southeast District (as currently configured) have gone all the way to win a State Championship. They are:

Portsmouth - 1931, 1961, 1978, 1988
Waterloo - 1934, 1935
Hillsboro Marshall - 1928
New Lexington St. Aloysius - 1954
South Webster - 2006
Chillicothe - 2008
Oak Hill - 2009

Did I miss anybody? Ironically, only four of the above schools still exist. With 11 state crowns out of 247 total titles statewide through 2012, one could say that the odds are about 23-1 that any Southeast District school finishes this season as an Ohio State Champion.

Past Final Four participants include Gallipolis, Manchester, Pomeroy, Millersport, New Lexington, New Lexington St. Aloysius, Nelsonville, New Boston, Western, Clay, Waverly, Zane Trace, Washington Court House, Miami Trace, Unioto, Lynchburg Clay, Leesburg, North Adams, Eastern-Meigs, Eastern-Brown, Whiteoak, Piketon, Chillicothe, Oak Hill, Chesapeake, Waterloo (2 times), Hillsboro Marshall (2 times), Proctorville Rome/Fairland (2 times), Ironton (2 times), South Webster (2 times), Southern (2 times), Belpre (3 times), Marietta (3 times), Southeastern (5 times), Wheelersburg (6 times), and Portsmouth (11 times). Hope I caught them all.

Some historical notes of interest:

Hillsboro Marshall's championship team in 1928 came from a tiny Highland County school that did not even have a gym. The team practiced and played in the Hillsboro Armory.

Lawrence County's Waterloo Wonders were legendary for their ballhandling and showmanship skills, and the starting five were all recruited to play for Coach Adolph Rupp at Kentucky. None of the players accepted his offer, but many went on to form a barnstorming pro team that also featured the father of Ohio State basketball great Bill Hosket. Waterloo's Orlyn Roberts still holds the three-game state tournament scoring record for Class B of 69 points. Waterloo is now part of the Symmes Valley school district.

New Lexington St. Aloysius' Mike Allen holds the D-IV scoring record for a two-game format, with 78 points, including 43 in the semis and 35 in the finals.

South Webster shut out Holgate for a whole quarter in the 2004 semis.

Proctorville-Rome had a tough final in 1930, losing to Lancaster St. Mary's 34-3. Proctorville-Rome was coached that year by a guy named Phoney Smith. Fairland fared much better in 1961, losing 51-49 in the semis under the tutelage of Rome Township legend Carl York.

Ironton's 2005 tournament run produced two for the record books: most rebounds in a D-III State Championship game by Clifton Howard (16-and that was competing against 2 future NBA players plus a 6-11 center); and most three point field goals made by both teams in a semifinal (16 against Archbold; Ironton made 10).

Last but not least, Southeast District hoops king Portsmouth is tied for fifth in Ohio State Championships, with four. Only Middletown, Akron SVSM, Dayton Dunbar, and Columbus East have garnered more hoops crowns than the mighty Trojans.

Now let the games begin.
Last edited by pembrook burrows III on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:34 am, edited 6 times in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: State Champs from the Southeast District

Post by Ironman92 »

pembrook burrows III wrote:As the 70 boys basketball teams from the Southeast District begin Sectional competition this week, I thought it would be timely to take a look at which teams from the Southeast District (as currently configured) have gone all the way to win a State Chamionship. They are:

Waterloo - 1934, 1935
South Webster - 2006
Chillicothe - 2008
Oak Hill - 2009

Did I miss anybody? Ironically, only four of the above schools still exist. With 11 state crowns out of 247 total titles statewide through 2012, one could say that the odds are about 23-1 that any Southeast District school finishes this season as an Ohio State Champion.

Past Final Four participants include Gallipolis, Manchester, Pomeroy, Millersport, New Lexington, New Lexington St. Aloysius, Nelsonville, Western, Clay, Waverly, Zane Trace, Washington Court House, Southern, Unioto, Lynchburg Clay, North Adams, Eastern-Meigs, Eastern-Brown, Whiteoak, Piketon, Chillicothe, Oak Hill, Chesapeake, Waterloo (2 times), Hillsboro Marshall (2 times), Proctorville Rome/Fairland (2 times), Belpre (2 times), Ironton (2 times), South Webster (2 times), Southeastern (4 times), Wheelersburg (6 times), and Portsmouth (11 times). Hope I caught them all.

Hillsboro Marshall's championship team in 1928 came from a tiny Highland County school that did not even have a gym. The team practiced and played in the Hillsboro Armory.

Lawrence County's Waterloo Wonders were legendary for their ballhandling and showmanship skills, and the starting five were all recruited to play for Coach Adolph Rupp at Kentucky. None of the players accepted his offer, but many went on to form a barnstorming pro team that also featured the father of Ohio State basketball great Bill Hosket. Waterloo's Orlyn Roberts still holds the three-game state tournament scoring record for Class B of 69 points. Waterloo is now part of the Symmes Valley school district.

New Lexington St. Aloysius' Mike Allen holds the D-IV scoring record for a two-game format, with 78 points, including 43 in the semis and 35 in the finals.

Proctorville-Rome had a tough final in 1930, losing to Lancaster St. Mary's 34-3. Proctorville-Rome was coached that year by a guy named Phoney Smith. Fairland fared much better in 1961, losing 51-49 in the semis under the tutelage of Rome Township legend Carl York.

Ironton's 2005 tournament run produced two for the record books: most rebounds in a D-III State Championship game by Clifton Howard (16-and that was competing against 2 future NBA players plus a 6-11 center); and most three point field goals made by both teams in a semifinal (16 against Archbold; Ironton made 10).

Last but not least, Southeast District hoops king Porstmouth is tied for fourth in Ohio State Championships, with four. Only Middletown, Akron SVSM, and Columbus East have garnered more hoops crowns than the mighty Trojans.

Now let the games begin.
I interviewed and was going to be assigned to the tiny Marshall school. I thought the Marshall team also practiced and played some games at Belfast....a former HS bordering Marshall and the elementary school I first started teaching before it closed in Dec 2000

pembrook burrows III
JV Team

You may be correct, Ironman92. I got my info out of a 2011 online newspaper article, linked below.

http://timesgazette.com/main.asp?Sectio ... eID=182758

The article says the school built a gym in 1931, a fitting tribute to the on-court successes of their Red Flashes. A picture of the old school is with the article.

CharlieHustle
All Conference

Post by CharlieHustle »

pembrook burrows III wrote:As the 70 boys basketball teams from the Southeast District begin Sectional competition this week, I thought it would be timely to take a look at which teams from the Southeast District (as currently configured) have gone all the way to win a State Chamionship. They are:

Waterloo - 1934, 1935
South Webster - 2006
Chillicothe - 2008
Oak Hill - 2009

Past Final Four participants include Gallipolis, Manchester, Pomeroy, Millersport, New Lexington, New Lexington St. Aloysius, Nelsonville, Western, Clay, Waverly, Zane Trace, Washington Court House, Southern, Unioto, Lynchburg Clay, North Adams, Eastern-Meigs, Eastern-Brown, Whiteoak, Piketon, Chillicothe, Oak Hill, Chesapeake, Waterloo (2 times), Hillsboro Marshall (2 times), Proctorville Rome/Fairland (2 times), Belpre (2 times), Ironton (2 times), South Webster (2 times), Southeastern (4 times), Wheelersburg (6 times), and Portsmouth (11 times). Hope I caught them all.

Last but not least, Southeast District hoops king Porstmouth is tied for fourth in Ohio State Championships, with four. Only Middletown, Akron SVSM, and Columbus East have garnered more hoops crowns than the mighty Trojans.

Now let the games begin.
Add New Boston to that Final Four list....they have made it to the State Tournament twice: 1938 & 1960
In 1960 they lost in the State Semi-Finals to eventual champion Salem-Local. They were led by star LeRoy Frazier, who went on to play at Ohio State alongside Bob Knight and other greats.

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

Trojandave or Coach Lisath can correct me if I'm wrong; but I believe Mike Haley (Portsmouth) won a State Championship as a player and Coach. Jeff Lisath (Portsmouth) won a State Championship as a player and Asst. Coach and led his 2009 Piketon team to the Final Four as a head coach. I'm not sure if anyone in the District or State has ever done that, but I could be wrong.

pembrook burrows III
JV Team

In 1938, the state tournament format was to bring in 8 teams per class, and it looks like New Boston did not make it to the Final Four that year. But you are correct about 1960, and I have revised my previous post accordingly. Sorry about the oversight, scarlet_gray.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

scarlet_gray wrote:

Waterloo - 1934, 1935
South Webster - 2006
Chillicothe - 2008
Oak Hill - 2009

Bobby Knight rarely made it to the court. Havlichek and Mr. Middletown were the stars.
Now let the games begin.
Add New Boston to that Final Four list....they have made it to the State Tournament twice: 1938 & 1960
In 1960 they lost in the State Semi-Finals to eventual champion Salem-Local. They were led by star LeRoy Frazier, who went on to play at Ohio State alongside Bob Knight and other greats.

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

Artis Gilmore could not have written your post any better....thanks for the info Pembrook :aaaaa58

CharlieHustle
All Conference

Post by CharlieHustle »

pembrook burrows III wrote:In 1938, the state tournament format was to bring in 8 teams per class, and it looks like New Boston did not make it to the Final Four that year. But you are correct about 1960, and I have revised my previous post accordingly. Sorry about the oversight, scarlet_gray.
You are right about that. 1938 was a different format.....and to add some extra history. New Boston's long-time coach Homer Pelligrinon (coached from 1950-1969) was the coach of the 1960 team, however, he was also a starter on the 1938 squad.

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

Southern has made the final four twice, 1980 and 1982.

Also thought Miami Trace made it in 78??? Could be wrong though.

Fort Frye, although I'm not sure what year they made it. Do they come from the East District?

Did Eastern Meigs only make it once?

pembrook burrows III
JV Team

Thanks, Raiderball. Have updated the Final Four listings for Southern and Miami Trace. Eastern shows only one trip to the Final Four, and Ft. Frye is currently in the Eastern District.

sebuckeye
Waterboy

Post by sebuckeye »

Southeastern has been to the final four 5 times 66,67,77,81 and 90

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

Belpre Eagles have made 3 trips to the Final 4 at the state tourney. 1993-1997-2001
The 1997 team was 8-12 in the regular season and knocked of some highly ranked teams along the way.

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

who were the coaches for se 5 final four appearances? was jordan there for all 5?

SOCFAN1430
Varsity

Post by SOCFAN1430 »

sparky wrote:who were the coaches for se 5 final four appearances? was jordan there for all 5?

66,67,77,81,90 - I'm pretty sure Coach Jordan was a part of all 5 of these except one(1977)

66,67 as a player
81,90 as a coach

Someone confirm if you can

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

Who was the coach in 77?

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Mike Haley did indeed win state championships as a player and coach........In 1961, he was a starter on the 22-3 Big School Class AA state champions, and then as head coach, led Dayton Roth to state titles in 1976, 1981, and 1982, and Dayton Dunbar in 1987. Portsmouth beat Dunbar in that 1987 regular season 62-61. Dunbar finished ranked #24 in the USA Today newspaper.

Jeff Lisath was a starter on the 1978 Trojans which went 19-7 and won the Class AA (middle class) state championship, and was an assistant on the 1988 State Champion Portsmouth squad which won the very first D2 state title that year after the OHSAA expanded to 4 divisions.

Just a side note about state titles and state appearances, Portsmouth ranks alone in second place in the state for most state appearances with 15, ranks tied for third for most appearances in a state championship game with 8, and has a 12-7 mark overall in the Final 4. The Trojans are 8-1 in their last 9 state semfinal games, with a 4-4 record in state championship games. Portsmouth has missed the state tournament in only 2 decades since it began in 1923, with those being the 1950's and 2000's. PHS got close to the state in 1954 and 1955, losing in the regional finals.

I came across one stat last week that I thought was interesting........Portsmouth is the only school in Ohio to have appeared in a state championship game in 4 different classifications........Big School Class AA in 1931, 1961, and 1934, Class AA in 1978 and 1980, Division II in 1988 and 1990, and Division III in 2012.

Pembrook Burrows: Add Dayton Dunbar to the list of teams that have won more state titles than the Trojans. They won their 5th state championship last season, and 4th in the last 9 years. Middletown with 7, Akron St.Vincent St.Mary with 6, Columbus East and Dunbar with 5 are the all-time leaders in state titles, with the Trojans tied for 5th with 4.

sebuckeye
Waterboy

Post by sebuckeye »

Coach Jordan was part of 3 of those coach in 77,81 and 90, his brother Jake was on the 66,67 teams

TigerPaw22
Riding the Bench

Post by TigerPaw22 »

Pembrook Burrows: While Marietta HS has not won a State championship, They were runner-up in 1933, and also played in tournament in 1923, 24, 26, 36, 37, 38, and 40 according to OHSAA website. Sure been a long time since we had a winner.

white thunder
Riding the Bench

Post by white thunder »

Leesburg High School- state runner-ups 1936- not sure but I think they beat Manchester in the state semi-finals.

Return to “Boys Basketball”