Minford @ Burg --- 1/8

Dr_Know
Riding the Bench

Minford @ Burg --- 1/8

Post by Dr_Know »

I can't believe there isn't much talk about this game... Maybe I didn't see a topic already started. I was thinking about heading to Oak HIll to watch the Indians and Oaks, but I think I'll stay home for this one. What is everyone thinking here? Minford is in must win mode if they still want a shot at the SOC. Burg seems very similar to last year, they defend and play hard but have trouble scoring at times. I think Minford has to find a way to use their size advantage because Burg has the athletes to give Minford's guards a hard time. I think Minford pulls this one out by 6-10 points, but it wouldn't surprise me to see the Pirates pull off the upset.

KingoftheCourts
Riding the Bench

Re: Minford @ Burg --- 1/8

Post by KingoftheCourts »

I think with the defense the Falcons have been playing here lately they will shut Burg's guards down!
McCray will be too much to handle inside and Minford's guards need to perform like they did against Northwest like McBee and Rowe did.
Everyone will need to step up because I'm sure that Burg needs this win.
I'll take my Falcons by 14.

Go Falcons! Beat Burg!

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

I think you summed it up. Burg seems similar to last year because they have the same starting 5. If Burg can hit some outside shots, this could be a very good game, but they have not been consistent so far this year. McCray will be tough to handle inside, but I was impressed with the way we defended Dyer from SW last Friday and kept him off the boards. Both games last year between these 2 were decided by a total of 11 pts. and I think this one will be close as well. I think a key for Minford will be Gullion. I haven't heard much about him so far this year, but he has a lot of potential to give Burg problems. Hopefully, Massie will be back in the lineup tonight after missing the game against SW.

Dr_Know
Riding the Bench

Post by Dr_Know »

4th n Goal
Now that you mention it, you're right, Gullion has been kind of quiet this year. I watched Minford and Valley early in the year, and he really struggled that night. It seemed like the Falcons struggled early to get their team chemistry together so maybe that has something to do with it. And I didn't realize that Massie missed the SW game... injury or illness? I'm looking forward to watching this one tonight.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

For Minford to win they must continue to play tight defense and cause poor shots and turnovers. Burg lives and dies by the outside shooting so Minford has to keep Burg from getting hot on their shooting.

Minford needs to pound the ball into McCray and let him do his work underneath. McBee will get his points, the offense must go through McBee and McCray on nearly every possession.

I will take Minford by 4.

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

Falcons better at probably every position and should win. With Barrick on the sidelines, I would not be suprised if the Burg upsets them.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

I like Minford in this one by 5+

here4fun
Varsity

Post by here4fun »

Minford better not let Massie run the outside if he gets hot like he did in the Valley game he will give them alot of trouble....

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Burg will need 3-4 players to be in double digits to win this game. If they have balanced scoring, they are capable of playing with anyone. When they get in a shooting slump and start relying on 1 player to carry them, they have not been so successful.

On a side note, it is nice to see some chatter on here about actual basketball games from people who at least have .02 to contribute and talk about our kids!!

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Anyone want to text me updates on this one? Message me your cell # and I will keep you updated on the Valley-oak hill game. Thanks.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Update?

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

End of 3:

Minford 34
Burg 25

callie11
Freshman Team

Post by callie11 »

What in the world happened to the Burg? In past years even when Barrick didn't have the best players he still out coached a lot of teams and had a decent team. Now the BB program is following the FB fortunes and can't rise to the occation and win key games. I been around the Burg for 40 years and the last couple of years have been the worst, I guess all good things must come to a end.

bluedude62
Varsity

Post by bluedude62 »

Minford 48
Burg 45

final

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

callie11 wrote:What in the world happened to the Burg? In past years even when Barrick didn't have the best players he still out coached a lot of teams and had a decent team. Now the BB program is following the FB fortunes and can't rise to the occation and win key games. I been around the Burg for 40 years and the last couple of years have been the worst, I guess all good things must come to a end.
You have brought this up in the football topics. burg has had two small classes come through in awhile. not making excuses but its hurt them numbers wise. basketball will always be up and down. look at Waverly, they were awesome last year because they had a d1 player this year they are struggling. I do believe football will be back next year.

Badboy
Varsity

Post by Badboy »

much closer than what should have been. mccray played very well underneath. burg had no inside game at all. both teams played a hard game tonight. on a side note, the officiating sucked to be kind about it. the no calls on minford kids down low was embarrassing. reminds me of how sullinger got beat to death at osu with few calls when hacked.

i think this game will be a blowout when the pirates come to minford.

on a side note, what a show minford put on in pre game. hard to believe so many kids on their team can throw it down, especially mcbee throwing it down with 2 hands.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

I didn't get to go the game but from what I was told the big boy from Minford had 24 of the 48 points they scored. The person told me that they had Moore fronting the big boy and they just lobbing it in to him for easy layups. Why not play Moore in behind him and make him work for the shots? Moore isn't near as big as this kid so playing behind him and trying to keep him from under the basket may have worked a little better. Looks like it could be a another down year for the Pirates and a quick exit in the sectionals.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote:I didn't get to go the game but from what I was told the big boy from Minford had 24 of the 48 points they scored. The person told me that they had Moore fronting the big boy and they just lobbing it in to him for easy layups. Why not play Moore in behind him and make him work for the shots? Moore isn't near as big as this kid so playing behind him and trying to keep him from under the basket may have worked a little better. Looks like it could be a another down year for the Pirates and a quick exit in the sectionals.
I don't think you can play behind a player that big when you are giving up 4" and 75+ lbs. If you are behind him, once he catches it, he can just turn and shoot over the top. Fronting him is probably the best, but the help side defense was not there and Minford was making good entry passes that he could handle easily. Cowgill did a fantastic job on McBee, holding him to only 2 field goals and really limiting his touches. I was surprised that Minford did not run a play all night to get him the ball.

eagles 89
Waterboy

Post by eagles 89 »

4th n Goal wrote:
Burg_Grad_77 wrote:I didn't get to go the game but from what I was told the big boy from Minford had 24 of the 48 points they scored. The person told me that they had Moore fronting the big boy and they just lobbing it in to him for easy layups. Why not play Moore in behind him and make him work for the shots? Moore isn't near as big as this kid so playing behind him and trying to keep him from under the basket may have worked a little better. Looks like it could be a another down year for the Pirates and a quick exit in the sectionals.
I don't think you can play behind a player that big when you are giving up 4" and 75+ lbs. If you are behind him, once he catches it, he can just turn and shoot over the top. Fronting him is probably the best, but the help side defense was not there and Minford was making good entry passes that he could handle easily. Cowgill did a fantastic job on McBee, holding him to only 2 field goals and really limiting his touches. I was surprised that Minford did not run a play all night to get him the ball.
You are correct 4th and goal. The kid is too big and too good to play behind and it is tough to get great help side when you have kids that can shoot the ball. On a side note....how did that team lose to valley? I dont see how anyone beats them if they continue to throw the ball to the post. I wouldnt worry about running plays to those perimeter players...and they have a bunch of them.....I think I would continue to feed the best player on the team and let him score 25 to 30 a game, then he can kick the ball out to any of those shooters when teams double him. That team is loaded with talent.....they were better at every position and probly were better at the next 4 off the bench.

FaberGrad62
JV Team

Post by FaberGrad62 »

eagles 89 wrote:
4th n Goal wrote:
You are correct 4th and goal. The kid is too big and too good to play behind and it is tough to get great help side when you have kids that can shoot the ball. On a side note....how did that team lose to valley? I dont see how anyone beats them if they continue to throw the ball to the post. I wouldnt worry about running plays to those perimeter players...and they have a bunch of them.....I think I would continue to feed the best player on the team and let him score 25 to 30 a game, then he can kick the ball out to any of those shooters when teams double him. That team is loaded with talent.....they were better at every position and probly were better at the next 4 off the bench.

How do you figure that? I would have much rather had McCray shooting a 5-8 foot jump shot instead of layup after layup. Who knows, you might have even got a charge or two from him trying to drive to the basket after catching it. He didn't have to work for one basket all night. Help side defense wasn't there because when he caught the ball he was already shooting the layup. No reason to try and block his shot and give him a three point play chance.

Cowgill did do a great job on McBee and also hit some big buckets himself. I just think he needs to shoot more

Return to “Boys Basketball”