VC Suffers it's Second Loss

vctransplant
All Conference

VC Suffers it's Second Loss

Post by vctransplant »

What is happening with the Vikes? Free throws, bad shots, Refs. Not playing bad ball just do not seem to be clicking yet. Thoughts?

nickle back
Freshman Team

Re: VC Suffers it's Second Loss

Post by nickle back »

Any details on the P.V. game? I was shocked when I saw this score.

cable_hogue
Waterboy

Post by cable_hogue »

vctransplant wrote:What is happening with the Vikes? Free throws, bad shots, Refs. Not playing bad ball just do not seem to be clicking yet. Thoughts?
Very young Spartan team taking them to OT, and then getting thumped at home by a weaker Paint Valley squad is a bit more serious then "not clicking!" :roll:
I am new to the area, but thanks to SEOP I have followed sports throughout SE Ohio :aaaaa11 . It seems like everytime a team in this area loses to a team they should beat, the locals are quick to blame the refs. :aaaaa30 On my research of this Viking squad. and several other Viking teams before them, they all have great middle school seasons and greatly underachieve in high school. What I have found is that this backsliding does not only happen in basketball. :aaaaa18
The area I come from in West Va., a little town on the banks of the Mighty Ohio River, the local high school :twisted: has won more AA West Virginia Stae Championships in various boys sports, then all of the schools in Southeastern Ohio combined. I was transferred into the area through my employer. I think the Devils would have had problems doing that if those same teams played here in SE OHIO, due to to the great competition between the schools of the area. :aaaaa56
One must admire the high school sports of the Greater Southeastern Ohio area; it's second to none. I am glad to be here, and I will start enjoying things as soon as I am settled in my new home and job.
I have not picked a team to follow in this area yet, but I leaning toward the Athens Bulldogs, I like what they are doing, and they are doing it with thier own kids.

:aaaaa99 "A bit of a Rattle Snake!"

Skiisme
All Conference

Post by Skiisme »

The Vikings lost this game in the third quarter. Could not hit the broad side of a barn. Poor shot selection and did not shoot free throws well. Went from up 3 to down 13 by the end of the quarter. Always seem to play really well when they play pressure defense, but always seem to get lazy after they get a lead. Hopefully this game was an eye opener for this team. #10 for PV is a great shooter!! Had to have 15 or so points.

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

Vinton will be ok about 15 games in there post players are very young putting a lot of pressure on Remy and Kidd to do everything score, deffend ,reb, create for all the others as the post players get game experience this team will improve greatly and there pretty good as it is so look for good things from this team.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I'm sure Coach Combs will have no excuses, but I'll toss something out that could have effected the players in the second half against Paint Valley. A tough, overtime road win the night before, while PV didn't have a game on Friday.

It's one bad loss, the other was against a team who would have to be considered a favorite to at least reach the district finals in D2 (Logan Elm). You never want to have a bad loss or a bad week, but they will happen with a team with VC's makeup. A lot of youth on their team, but neither loss happened in league play, which is important. They will be fine as the season progresses.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

favorite to reach the district finals dani?

Navigating your way through the Logan sectional will be tough, let alone making the district championship game ... last season the No. 2 seed was bounced early, the No. 3 seed lost the exact same night up in Logan ... then, all 4 teams that actually made it to the Convo from the sectional were 1-and-done ... not a single team even made it to the district finals.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Reall cable_hogue? Greatly underachieve? You said you were new to the area, so ill let you in on one small statistic that you may be unaware of. 171 (one hundred seventy one) wins in the last 10 seasons for the underachievers of VC. That's an average of over 17 wins per season. I could go on and on with all kinds of info to convince you of your obvious ignorance when it comes to Vinton County basketball, but ill just let that one simple statistic speak for itself.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

93Bulldog wrote:favorite to reach the district finals dani?

Navigating your way through the Logan sectional will be tough, let alone making the district championship game ... last season the No. 2 seed was bounced early, the No. 3 seed lost the exact same night up in Logan ... then, all 4 teams that actually made it to the Convo from the sectional were 1-and-done ... not a single team even made it to the district finals.

Yes, they are a top 3 team in that sectional and I would peg those 3 as favorites to reach the district finals. You haven't seen how awful the SE sectional is this year and outside of the probable 1 seed, I could see a major role reversal between the sectionals this year.

Pavilion
Riding the Bench

Post by Pavilion »

And how many District Championships Dundas??

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Pavilion wrote:And how many District Championships Dundas??
1 in 10 years. They may not have the tournament success as some of the top teams around in the last decade (Chillicothe, Greenfield McClain) but 1 is more than alot of other teams in the area have.
And I believe I'm correct in saying VC is the only TVC Ohio team that has one in that time span.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Tough to win a district title when you have to (1st) get out of Logan - when there only use to be two teams advance - and you had the likes of WARREN, LOGAN ELM, MARIETTA, FAIRFIELD UNION & ATHENS hanging around ... all of which had some really good teams during the years Dundas is referring too.

if you did reach the Convo the last 10 years - then you ran up against DANTA JACKSON and GREENFIELD, or HITCHBONE and the CAVALIERS ... I mean, VC just caught a tough break having some of their best teams the exact same years as some of the best Division II teams to ever play at the Convo.

Sid Farkus
Freshman Team

Post by Sid Farkus »

Underachieving? That could be one of the dumbest statements I have ever read on here. Besides averaging 17 wins a year, the Vikings have won league titles in 04, 05, 07, 08, 09, 11, and 2012. That's 7 titles in the last 9 years! The 2 years they didn't win the league (06 and 2010) they finished as runner up. They have won sectional titles in 4 of those years and 1 district title. Underachieving? Are you serious?

cable_hogue
Waterboy

Post by cable_hogue »

Sid Farkus wrote:Underachieving? That could be one of the dumbest statements I have ever read on here. Besides averaging 17 wins a year, the Vikings have won league titles in 04, 05, 07, 08, 09, 11, and 2012. That's 7 titles in the last 9 years! The 2 years they didn't win the league (06 and 2010) they finished as runner up. They have won sectional titles in 4 of those years and 1 district title. Underachieving? Are you serious?
Yes I am very serious! Are you blind and stupid? I mostly mean beyond the regular season more-so than the regular season! I say they do not play to thier best potential alot of times. With all the talent they have had since Combs has been there, how many district titles do they have. Since I can count that far, and they make it easy, I will answer my own question: ONE! Oh-my-god, that is the total in school history too!
Yeah for the most part they do win the games they should, but can't win the big one! A good comparison would be Athens vs Logan Elm last year in the sectional and this year in roundtown; both big wins vs a very good squad.
You can call it what you want Sid Fartus. I can too, and I call it underachieving!
Like it or lump it, sometimes the truth can be hard to see, and/or admit too it even when it's directly in front of you!
Open your eyes! :122247

:aaaaa99 "A BIT OF A RATTLE SNAKE"

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Vin ton County is nails when it comes to High School Basketball. Always a tough out!

cable_hogue
Waterboy

Post by cable_hogue »

Dundas wrote:Reall cable_hogue? Greatly underachieve? You said you were new to the area, so ill let you in on one small statistic that you may be unaware of. 171 (one hundred seventy one) wins in the last 10 seasons for the underachievers of VC. That's an average of over 17 wins per season. I could go on and on with all kinds of info to convince you of your obvious ignorance when it comes to Vinton County basketball, but ill just let that one simple statistic speak for itself.

Yeah I am new to the area, but I have followed se ohio high school sports on this forum for a few years. I just recently became a member since moving to Jackson last month.
Maybe the wrong people are ignorant when it comes to Vinton County basketball. Kenny Bixx has the other team sports at the school figured out. What kinda name is Dundas anyway? Maybe you don't spell well, and it should be dumba..., or something like that!
I have realitives that have graduated from Vinton County, Jackson, Eastern Pike, and Wellston, (mostly Jackson) both boys and girls played basketball, and all were varsity starters at one point in thier careers.
I am not just blowing smoke from behind a blind, like I stated eariler, I have beem following high school sports in this area for a while. When I played high school football (stared linebacker and tightend 3 years) we played Belpre twice, and they won the TVC ( only 5 or 6 member league), I remember getting run over by a running back named Vanoy, we thumped then hard!

Hopper 11
JV Team

Post by Hopper 11 »

cable_hogue wrote:
Dundas wrote:Reall cable_hogue? Greatly underachieve? You said you were new to the area, so ill let you in on one small statistic that you may be unaware of. 171 (one hundred seventy one) wins in the last 10 seasons for the underachievers of VC. That's an average of over 17 wins per season. I could go on and on with all kinds of info to convince you of your obvious ignorance when it comes to Vinton County basketball, but ill just let that one simple statistic speak for itself.

Yeah I am new to the area, but I have followed se ohio high school sports on this forum for a few years. I just recently became a member since moving to Jackson last month.
Maybe the wrong people are ignorant when it comes to Vinton County basketball. Kenny Bixx has the other team sports at the school figured out. What kinda name is Dundas anyway? Maybe you don't spell well, and it should be dumba..., or something like that!
I have realitives that have graduated from Vinton County, Jackson, Eastern Pike, and Wellston, (mostly Jackson) both boys and girls played basketball, and all were varsity starters at one point in thier careers.
I am not just blowing smoke from behind a blind, like I stated eariler, I have beem following high school sports in this area for a while. When I played high school football (stared linebacker and tightend 3 years) we played Belpre twice, and they won the TVC ( only 5 or 6 member league), I remember getting run over by a running back named Vanoy, we thumped then hard!

I doubt anyone new to the area would be this wrapped up in a team or know their Jr. High records. Not sure what you letting everyone know that you were a star linebacker has to do with Vinton Co. basketball? I'm not from Vinton Co. but they have represented the TVC well. I will never forget them playing McClain a few years back, it was a great game. Vinton Co is always competitive and always bring a nice fan base. Combs has done a good job over the years. You can't have the best talent every year. I don't think they have under achieved at all. Comparing Jr. High records to High School is pretty funny in itself.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I don't know much ... but I know there are 14 (out of 15) teams/schools in the TVC that would trade their success (or lack of) for what Vinton County has been able to accomplish.

Main Man
Freshman Team

Post by Main Man »

First of all I agree with 93 Bulldog........Secondly I don't see VC as underachieving at all. Yes they struggle to get deep in the tourney, but at what point have they had any players that compare to Hitchens, Jackson, Chambers, Aman, Evans, London,and Kretzer plus many more that I havent mentioned. These are Division 1 Athletes . Coach Combs does a helluva job with what he has to compete against that kind of talent.. Seriously this whole discussion needs to be dropped. Be glad that VC has even made it to the Convo. That stretch in the early to mid 2000's was loaded with talent.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

a few years back, Athens went (18-1 overall) ... (12-0 in the TVC-Ohio)

and didn't even reach the Convo!

that's how tough it has been in DII - in the southeast district.

Return to “Boys Basketball”