Waverly Holiday Classic !!

Lightle04
SE

Waverly Holiday Classic !!

Post by Lightle04 »

Ok guys and gals lets get it started who's your picks in this years classic ?!?!

WIFAN-22
Varsity

Re: Waverly Holiday Classic !!

Post by WIFAN-22 »

Im going with Piketon, but could easily see Eastern win it all too. This could be the most competitive, and evenly matched Classic that we have had in a while.

chef_piketon
JV Team

Post by chef_piketon »

The Chef is going with The Streaks.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Streaks will be the decided favorite but it is the Classic and anything can happen. Was hoping the Tigers would have Hart back but he won't be ready until next year. Without Hart it will be nice if the rest of the Tigers are 100% by next Friday.

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

I will be pulling for the EAGLES but Piketon is the favorite.

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

I'm bias here my heart says Eastern and Western but my head says Piketon over Western , Piketon has tons of experience and there seniors should carry them to the final. In the second game Waverly has some injurys that really hurts them but being a D-2 school they have tons of athelets on there roster that on any given night can go off and take control of a game. But I'm going with Eastern they have a lot of leadership returning from last seasons tourney run. Lands has regained his form recovering from a shoulder injury that sidelined him the entire summer. Eastern has 4 players averageing double figgures. So I'm picking Piketon and Eastern in the final . Piketon is the deffending champ returning basically everyone from that team. Eastern has to to be hitting on all cylinders to pull the upset. Good luck to all the teams this year play hard .

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Piketon over Eastern. And I don't think any of the games are within 10 points.

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

You could be right but I'm hopeing there are good close games.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Lightle04,
Waverly is the defending champions.

Found this article about Jake Kretzer and it talks about the Classic.

The Pike County Holiday Classic: Senior Jake Kretzer scores 43 points to set a new Waverly Hawhee Arena record. The record was previously 42 points owned by Tevor Walls (New Mexico State Football). Kretzer just missed passing the Tiger's all-time single game record of 46 points held by John Shoemaker (LA Dodgers), which he did on the road at Logan HS in 1974.

Kretzer's 43 paced the way for the Tigers as Waverly earned a Pike Holiday Classic Championship....defeating SVC Champion and cross-county rival Piketon Redstreaks by the score of 89-64.

The Pike Holiday Classic is an annual tourney hosted at Waverly's downtown Hawhee Arena just before the New Year's Holiday. The participants are Pike County's four local high school teams: Easter-Pike Eagles, Piketon Redstreaks, Western-Pike Indians, and Waverly Tigers. The past four tourneys have been decided by a Piketon/Waverly showdown.

In 2008 Piketon narrowly defeated a charging Tiger Team where Kretzer hit 8 three-pointers in attempt to steal the win. In 2009 the Tigers beat Piketon...claiming the Championship, Kretzer & Martin were co-mvps. In 2010 the Redstreaks earned another Championship in a close one that saw Kretzer drain a three pointer at the buzzer to bring Waverly to within 2 points. 2011's championship was a decisive victory with Waverly scoring a season high 89 points behind Kretzer's 43.

Kretzer was awarded All-Tourney honors in all four of his hs years. In 2009 he and Harrison Martin (1,307 points and #3 all-time Tiger scorer / Youngstown State Baseball) shared the co-MVP. Kretzer was named the 2011 tourney MVP.

View Article at: http://www.newswatchman.com/sports/arti ... 963f4.html

View Article at: http://portsmouth-dailytimes.com/view/f ... eft_column

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

My bad no disrespect intended . Waverly took the crown back from Piketon last season. Bad thing is I was there and forgot. Old age ! Lol !!

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

As I posted earlier the Redstreaks are the favorite but it is the Holiday Classic and as we know anything can happen when these county schools get together..I look for Waverly to play much better than they have been early..there coming off a very close loss to a solid West team on the road,Western is very young but play very hard,Piketon is loaded and will be most people's pick to win it and the Eagles have the capability to play with anyone on any given night.I expect 3 out of the 4 games played to be competitive games. I think Piketon is just way too much for Western with the Indians youth and the Streaks talent and experience.Waverly and Eastern I think will be a decent game with the Eagles coming out on top in the end.Night#2, I think the Tigers will hang on to win the consolation game in a competitive battle and finally, I will be pulling for the Eagles to pull off the upset in the championship againt Piketon...Should be a fun weekend!

GO EAGLES!!!

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

Excitement building for this one! Who will be the Pike County Champions in 2012? I love my Streaks, I believe they have played in the Title game and won more Titles than any of the four schools. Correct me if I'm wrong.....but that's what I'm told. Let's see how it shakes out as all four schools will be pumped up and ready to go! Good Luck Piketon, let's bring that Title back home.

chef_piketon
JV Team

Post by chef_piketon »

Jimmy
Think only year our beloved Streaks haven't been in title game is year we didn't win a game.

SOCFAN1430
Varsity

Post by SOCFAN1430 »

chef_piketon wrote:Jimmy
Think only year our beloved Streaks haven't been in title game is year we didn't win a game.

There have been several yrs the Streaks haven't made the title game namely in the early 2000's However the Streaks have pretty much owned the Classic over the last 5-6 yrs. Should be a good Classic again looking forward to it

Flashing Cursor
Freshman Team

Post by Flashing Cursor »

Since the 1997/98 season, when the Waverly Holiday Classic/Radiger Cage Tournament started the current Pike County format:
- Piketon has been Champion 6 times (1997, 1998, 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010).
- Piketon has been Runner-Up 6 times (2000, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2011)
- Piketon has only failed to reach the Championship game 3 times (1999 -semi loss to Waverly, 2001*-semi loss to Eastern, 2002 -semi loss to Waverly)
*2001 also lost consolation game to Western (only year w/o at least 1 win in tournament).
- Record in play is 20 wins 10 loses...
- They have never failed to make the Championship Game under the tenure of Coach Lisath, who is 11-5 in the tournamnet since 2004-05.

Year- Winner, Runner-up
1997 - Piketon, Waverly
1998 - Piketon, Waverly
1999 - Waverly, Eastern
2000 - Waverly, Piketon
2001 - Eastern, Waverly
2002 - Waverly, Western
2003 - Piketon, Eastern
2004 - Eastern, Piketon
2005 - Western, Piketon
2006 - Waverly, Piketon
2007 - Piketon, Western
2008 - Piketon, Waverly
2009 - Waverly, Piketon
2010 - Piketon, Waverly
2011 - Waverly, Piketon

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

So since 2000 Waverly has won it 5 times, Piketon 4, Eastern 2 and Western once. The last 4 years has seen Waverly and Piketon battle it out in the championship with 2 wins a piece.

G&B from huddle
JV Team

Post by G&B from huddle »

Does anyone know if Piketon has played in the last 10 days?
I know Waverly, Western and Eastern haven't. When I saw a 10-day layoff on the schedule I found that odd.
I don't remember a 10-day gap between games when I was in HS.
I think it will be interesting to see if the teams come out and look rejuvenated and intense or if they show some rust.
I know they have been practicing, but like Iverson said "Not a game, were talking about practice"

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

G&B from huddle wrote:Does anyone know if Piketon has played in the last 10 days?
I know Waverly, Western and Eastern haven't. When I saw a 10-day layoff on the schedule I found that odd.
I don't remember a 10-day gap between games when I was in HS.
I think it will be interesting to see if the teams come out and look rejuvenated and intense or if they show some rust.
I know they have been practicing, but like Iverson said "Not a game, were talking about practice"
Piketon pounded a good Fairland squad, 82-52 on Saturday night.

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

Gameday! GO EAGLES!!!!

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

Would love to see the Eagles fly away with a big win tonight.

Return to “Boys Basketball”