Who is the most animated coach on the sidelines ?

Blackcobra
Freshman Team

Who is the most animated coach on the sidelines ?

Post by Blackcobra »

Who are some of the most active, loud, argumentative or active basketball coaches in the area during competition?

Blackcobra
Freshman Team

Re: Who is the most animated coach on the sidelines ?

Post by Blackcobra »

Makes the games more exciting at times, Portsmouths coach years ago in the late 80s 90's was always fun to watch.

CharlieHustle
All Conference

Post by CharlieHustle »

blackcobra1 wrote:Makes the games more exciting at times, Portsmouths coach years ago in the late 80s 90's was always fun to watch.
That was Suboticki (sp?)...that man was one of the greatest coaches to come through this area. Maybe the greatest.

CharlieHustle
All Conference

Post by CharlieHustle »

Current coaches I would have to go with Stormin' Norman at Oak Hill. His animations along with his coaching attire make for great entertainment.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

no longer around but the " mad scientist" as I called him , Jack Trainer , from Clay ..... man it was worth the price of admission. cant believe the rest of the SOC 1 let him leave rosemount.

redskinwitness
Varsity

Post by redskinwitness »

Caldwell's coach is pretty intense and animated at times. He is usually focusing his displeasure or pleasure with his players, always telling his kids on the bench what the ones on the floor are doing wrong. He doesn't spend much time on the officials but when he does it's comical. Heard him tell one the other night that he needed to help his buddy out because he was making him look bad, said something like I know you saw that hit his leg and if you somehow didn't you know I wouldn't steer you wrong. Funny part was the official stood there for a few seconds speechless then changed the call. Made me laugh.

Sat behind the bench at a scrimmage @ New Lex a few weeks ago.....official called a T on a player who was telling our coach to take him out because he was killing us.......official ran in and called a T, coach laughed and told him he was talking to him not to the official, guy warned him to stay in his coaches box and he told him we didn't drive an hour and a half to watch him blow his whistle a hundred times we came to get better and to stick to reserve games. Made me laugh.

Vision Quest
Freshman Team

Post by Vision Quest »

I know of coaches who are too much on the sidelines. How about one that screams rebound and/or box out when an opposing player is in his motion shooting foul shots? I've seen it more than once from one certain coach. I just cannot understand officials not saying something. Kind of bush league if you ask me.

Blackcobra
Freshman Team

Post by Blackcobra »

HAHAH yes i remember that Coach Trainer his hair would get all wild and glasses slide all over as he was jumping around, very entertaining, these posts are all funny stories.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Watching Howie Caldwell at Fed Hock is worth the price of admission ... it can be more entertaining than the game itself.

Jeff Skinner (Athens) and Blaine Gabriel (Alex) run a close 2nd when it comes to the TVC.

givengo
Waterboy

Post by givengo »

Skinner fun to watch, surprised he has not blown a head gasket when he stomping around. Lol

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

He's retired now, but the elder Ford of Cambridge was probably the best to watch during a game. Saw hims in the district, regional and state one year. He really put on a show.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

as a fan I once got into a verbal confrontation with Suboticki while he was on the bench at PHS and I was in the stands . back in the 80's the clash's between PHS and GC were rather large ... lol .. Sub could coach the game for sure , didnt necessarily like following the rules but a great motivator . He was a fantastic fit for PHS .

jgordon0315
JV Team

Post by jgordon0315 »

ManitouDan wrote:as a fan I once got into a verbal confrontation with Suboticki while he was on the bench at PHS and I was in the stands . back in the 80's the clash's between PHS and GC were rather large ... lol .. Sub could coach the game for sure , didnt necessarily like following the rules but a great motivator . He was a fantastic fit for PHS .

Elaborate a little more when you say, "(sub) didn't necessarily like following the rules!?" outside of the game or during the game?? And why would anyone get into it with a coach during a game?

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

It sure wasnt intentional and I was loud mouthed teen at the time ... I was 1 year out of school and still a rabid Gc supporter ... we were playing at GC and I dont remember why I said it but I hollered at him " show some class coach" and he immediately did a 180 , looked at me about 3 rows behind the scorers table and hollered " I've GOT CLASS " as far as the rules go I meant off the court . as thats far enough to go on that .

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Trojan Dave.......He's more animated than any Coach could be :122245

jgordon0315
JV Team

Post by jgordon0315 »

ManitouDan wrote:It sure wasnt intentional and I was loud mouthed teen at the time ... I was 1 year out of school and still a rabid Gc supporter ... we were playing at GC and I dont remember why I said it but I hollered at him " show some class coach" and he immediately did a 180 , looked at me about 3 rows behind the scorers table and hollered " I've GOT CLASS " as far as the rules go I meant off the court . as thats far enough to go on that .

The reason I asked the original question is because you followed up your comment about Sub not following the rules with "he and Portsmouth being a perfect fit"........seemed like an implication that Portsmouth doesn't follow the rules, unless you were simply saying he was a good fit because he was a great motivator......is that what you were indicating with your comment.....or was it the latter? BTW Barrick is pretty animated, I don't know about most animated....just my two cents to the original topic.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

ohbuckeye2 wrote:Trojan Dave.......He's more animated than any Coach could be :122245
aint that the truth!

:mrgreen:

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

Barrick at Burg. Persin at Oak Hill

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Dustan Ford the years he was at Jackson...lol

He's doing quite well for the #10 Illinois Illini

I think Combs is pretty animated.

Love sitting behind the bench of LaFon and Maddox

huthuthike
Waterboy

Post by huthuthike »

Matt Combs is really fun to watch coach and very animated!

Return to “Boys Basketball”