Shot Clock in High School

bbn77
All Conference

Shot Clock in High School

Post by bbn77 »

Saw Raider bring it up in the scores thread so I'll bear the question. Should the OHSAA adopt a shot clock?

ROLL PEAKE
js7_22
Varsity

Re: Shot Clock in High School

Post by js7_22 »

It would be nice to tell you the truth. It would keep the game moving, I'd set it for 30 seconds and let the fun begin. No more holding the ball and playing keep away.

I've always liked the idea, keeps teams honest and prevents a team from holding it most of their possessions. Not to mention possibly higher scores which are usually more exciting.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Yes, without question, yes!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

40-45 second

Madness
Freshman Team

Post by Madness »

No. You already have kids that can't shoot a good percentage and you want to force them to shoot quicker. The fundamentals are already lacking all around the area and you want to force them to do something in 30 seconds. IMO, the games would be harder to watch.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Madness wrote:No. You already have kids that can't shoot a good percentage and you want to force them to shoot quicker. The fundamentals are already lacking all around the area and you want to force them to do something in 30 seconds. IMO, the games would be harder to watch.
If you can't get off a good shot after 40-45 seconds of offense....then you must have my fundamentals

js7_22
Varsity

Post by js7_22 »

Ironman92 wrote:
Madness wrote:No. You already have kids that can't shoot a good percentage and you want to force them to shoot quicker. The fundamentals are already lacking all around the area and you want to force them to do something in 30 seconds. IMO, the games would be harder to watch.
If you can't get off a good shot after 40-45 seconds of offense....then you must have my fundamentals
10 seconds to get across half court, most do it in 5-6 on avg, leaves you with 34-39 seconds, plenty of time to run an offense. I agree, if you struggle with fundamentals with that much time, you're in for a rough season.

Madness
Freshman Team

Post by Madness »

A lot of teams have a tough time getting or taking a good shot and to force them to do it in 40 seconds would only make the shot selection worse. A lot of them will take a shot or turn it over within 40 seconds now so I don't see a need for a shot clock.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I'd love a shot clock, but there are a lot greater things to address like what Madness has said above. I don't think scoring would go up, as shot selection could potentially get worse as kids start to force shots to avoid turning the ball over.

Madness
Freshman Team

Post by Madness »

The low scores you are seeing are not the result of holding the ball for minutes at a time. It is the result of poor shooting from both the field and the charity stripe and poor fundamentals in moving the ball to get a good shot.

bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

I would at least like to see it experimented at invitationals where there are already shot clocks in the gym (E.g. Rio Grande, Shawnee, Marietta colleges) and see what the result is. SEO is the only area I believe fundamentals would be an issue as to why there couldn't be a shot clock. Teams up north are able to get good shots at a quicker pace than around this area.

ROLL PEAKE
Madness
Freshman Team

Post by Madness »

To say the lack of fundamentals is only in SEO is completely absurd. I have seen teams from all over the state play and the fundamentals are lacking in a lot of the teams. Good pure shooters are few and far between because kids are not taking the time to learn the proper shooting technique, they are learning to chuck the 3 ball from a young age. They watch and see all the garbage that the NBA gets away with such as carrying the ball and extra steps and that is what they do. To many of your pee wee and younger travel teams are set on winning and not learning and it has hurt the high school games. AAU teams have been the devil to learning fundamentals for these younger kids.it is all about winning not learning.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Basketball is not basketball anymore

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

I don't like the idea of a shot clock for HS. If you don't like a team holding the ball, play some defense and take it away. The talk about fundamentals should also include playing defense. Basketball isn't only about what happens when you have the ball.....you have to play both ends of the floor.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

4thgoal wrote:I don't like the idea of a shot clock for HS. If you don't like a team holding the ball, play some defense and take it away. The talk about fundamentals should also include playing defense. Basketball isn't only about what happens when you have the ball.....you have to play both ends of the floor.
i agree. If you dont like other teams pace of pay or style force them out of it. to be honest with you i would not mind if they pulled the shot clock back out of college. It is a part of a game and a strategy a team should have the choice to use.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

svac83 wrote:
4thgoal wrote:I don't like the idea of a shot clock for HS. If you don't like a team holding the ball, play some defense and take it away. The talk about fundamentals should also include playing defense. Basketball isn't only about what happens when you have the ball.....you have to play both ends of the floor.
i agree. If you dont like other teams pace of pay or style force them out of it. to be honest with you i would not mind if they pulled the shot clock back out of college. It is a part of a game and a strategy a team should have the choice to use.
Well said svac83. The stall, slowdown, or four corners style can be an equalizer for less talented teams or the closing statement for superior teams. Reference some old film clips of Dean Smith using Phil Ford in the four corners to seal victory for the Tarheels. Remember Carroll Hawhee at Waverly using his talented guards in the early 70-s to close out games. Today's high school players are bigger, stronger, and faster but many seem to lack fundamentals and strategic coaching.The shot clock should disappear in amateur basketball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtyyNd5Eoow
Last edited by Omega on Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
george
Freshman Team

Post by george »

could schools afford it

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Just a thought, how about if a team is not making an attempt to engage their offense a warning is given next time a T and loss of the ball. Not against a clock but it has to be what fits all teams . 35 to 40 would be fine with me.

george
Freshman Team

Post by george »

there was a rule like that 20 or so years ago , both on offense and defense . forget how it went

george
Freshman Team

Post by george »

I think it was the team that was behind that had to force the play

Return to “Boys Basketball”