Chillicothe vs. John Glenn...D2 Regional Semifinal

datchillicav
JV Team

Chillicothe vs. John Glenn...D2 Regional Semifinal

Post by datchillicav »

Anyone know anything about John Glenn? Cavs survived a scare tonight against a gritty Warren team. John Glenn is coming off a 1 point win over 1 seed Carrollton.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Re: Chillicothe vs. John Glenn...D2 Regional Semifinal

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

I know they are 20-2, We played them earlier in the Season and they beat us by 7 in a pretty close game til the end.

John Glenn...52
Ironton... ....45

Here's their Roster:

20..Jared Larson.......G..Jr...5-7
22..Tre Blevins.........G..Jr...6-2
24..Josh Thomas.......G..Jr...6-1
32..Brandon Dolick.....G..Sr...6-0
33..Heath Dodson......G..Jr...6-2
35..Jake Heagen.......G..Sr...6-4
40..Cody Lake..........F..Jr...6-3
42..Nick Fraunfelter...G..Sr...6-0
44..Collin Linnabary...F..Jr...6-5
50..Zack Atkins........F..Jr...6-2
54..Laine Crawford....F..Sr...6-2
Last edited by ohbuckeye2 on Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dshanton3
JV Team

Post by Dshanton3 »

I was impressed with John Glenn as i also was there to see them play Ironton. they remind me of a Logan Elm with the discipline they play with and how fundamentally sound they are, as well as the fact that they seem to get contributions from a large # of kids.

Chilli will once again have a talent and athleticism advantage, but talent only beats hard work if talent works hard. John Glenn is a very blue collar type team that is going to bring it every night. They won't beat themselves, Chilli is going to have to be on their game.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Dshanton3 wrote:I was impressed with John Glenn as i also was there to see them play Ironton. they remind me of a Logan Elm with the discipline they play with and how fundamentally sound they are, as well as the fact that they seem to get contributions from a large # of kids.

Chilli will once again have a talent and athleticism advantage, but talent only beats hard work if talent works hard. John Glenn is a very blue collar type team that is going to bring it every night. They won't beat themselves, Chilli is going to have to be on their game.
I agree........

Dshanton3
JV Team

Post by Dshanton3 »

i believe #44 is their stud. He played a guard/forward and was a do it all inside and out kind of guy.

southernohio13
Freshman Team

Post by southernohio13 »

First of all congrats to Chillicothe on the win tonight against a 20 win Warren team. Everyone knows it is very difficult to beat a team 3 times in the same season and Chillicothe did just that.

This should be a great game between JG and Chilly. I glance through all of these posts and I always see Chillicothe needs to do this and Chillicothe needs to do that.

Chillicothe is what it is. They are a 21 win team that has won a league, sectional and district championship. They aren't the teams that will pass the ball around 10 times before and play control ball that everyone likes to see. They aren't the team that is the most fundamentally sound team on offense because our point guard is always creating and sometimes makes mistakes.

However, Chilly is a team that will out work you. They are a team that will sit down and play defense for the entire game. They are a team that wins. I believe this is 4 district championships out of 5 years including that regional and state championship.. The logan elms and john glenns or anyone around here cannot match that and I think its time we start giving these kids credit instead of "they need to do this or that to win yet another game.

datchillicav
JV Team

Post by datchillicav »

I agree that they deserve credit but saying what needs to be done in order to win the next game is in no way a negative thing. You could be undefeated but there are still things you must do to win the NEXT game. They are not good enough to win every game just by showing up. No one is. To win every game you have to show up and either outwork, out execute, or out talent the opposition. Often times all 3.

southernohio13
Freshman Team

Post by southernohio13 »

I wasnt saying anyone was being negative. I just wanted the kids to get some credit they deserve and enjoy this one. Again, every team in ohio has weaknesses and Chilli is no exception. However, from what ive seen the cavs will bring it every night on the defensive end and will outwork anyone.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

southernohio13 wrote:I wasnt saying anyone was being negative. I just wanted the kids to get some credit they deserve and enjoy this one. Again, every team in ohio has weaknesses and Chilli is no exception. However, from what ive seen the cavs will bring it every night on the defensive end and will outwork anyone.
AMEN!!!!

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Best player is Jake Heagen 35.He is all state and is a beast.He scored 44 in a game this year.Also Dotson has range for days.John Glenn is very good and shoots it a lot better.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Good luck to both teams, both are considered SEO, right?

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Congratulations to the Cavaliers on their district championship........and I will be rooting for CHS in the regional........I also plan on being there Thursday night to watch both games.

I also have seen John Glenn play........and DeShanton3 made a good assessment about them.......they will be a very testy opponent and Chillicothe must be on top of their game.

Chillicothe has had a tremendous run the past 5 years........Coach Kellough has instilled a defensive mindset in his program.......and the results of that speak for themselves.......right now the best program in the SE District over that span.

If there is one thing that the Cavaliers must do better vs. John Glenn than they did vs. Warren, it's finishing around the basket........CHS missed too many point blank shots vs. the Warriors........of course the biggest one they did make vs. Warren was the one by Max Corcoran at the buzzer to win the game.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

trojandave wrote:Congratulations to the Cavaliers on their district championship........and I will be rooting for CHS in the regional........I also plan on being there Thursday night to watch both games.

I also have seen John Glenn play........and DeShanton3 made a good assessment about them.......they will be a very testy opponent and Chillicothe must be on top of their game.

Chillicothe has had a tremendous run the past 5 years........Coach Kellough has instilled a defensive mindset in his program.......and the results of that speak for themselves.......right now the best program in the SE District over that span.

If there is one thing that the Cavaliers must do better vs. John Glenn than they did vs. Warren, it's finishing around the basket........CHS missed too many point blank shots vs. the Warriors........of course the biggest one they did make vs. Warren was the one by Max Corcoran at the buzzer to win the game.
trojandave, You are a wise man. I remember our conversation about Chilly's defense and the agreement that once the Trojans developed that same commitment they would be back. Well we are both there. Cavs definitely need to finish better around the rim as we move forward. I do love our ability to limit other teams ability to get to let alone finish their shots.

John Glenn will be a worthy opponent. Hopefully we have a strong contingent of the Southeast District pulling for us Thursday night. Good luck to the Trojans tonight. Represent the SEOAL and State Route 23 well.

GO CAVS! GO TROJANS!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... great analysis by everyone about both of these excellent ball clubs - Congratulations to BOTH for making it into the Sweet 16/Regional Semi's ... John Glenn IS a true "Blue Collar" team from the MVL - Heagen is a beast at both ends of the floor drawing all state, all district accolades - he IS the real deal ... on the other side of the floor Chillicothe who may ONLY play 6 players BUT every single one of those kids plays "lock down defensive" - Ragland, Johnson, Beverly, Manion, London, Cocoran ... no matter how good of an offensive opponent the Cavs will force their opponent to TAKE & MAKE the toughest shots on the floor - the work a team has to do just to get an inside the paint shot OFF is daunting with London in down low - whether he blocks the shot or not he IS always a presence in the minds of every one of the opponents players venturing into "London-ville" ... opponents have to respect the sheriff of London-ville Malik London ...

... I have been one that has posted that a "weakness" for the Cavs is handling the ball - I STILL feel that ball handling IS a weakness "trying to do too much with the ball" - at times - starts to get more glaring as a team moves deeper into the tournament - there is a reason that it is said that PG play IS the key to winning on the offensive end in the Survive and Advance season ... I'll stick by my observation on that one ... my Ouija Board says Cavs get by John Glenn by 10+ ... Cavs fans should keep in the back of their minds the name Gibson to prove the ball handling/PG debate ... Gibson vs Manion WILL decide whether Chillicothe goes to the Schott imo ... I'll be behind the Cavs the rest of the way in representing teams Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line - best of luck to an excellent Chillicothe TEAM - Ragland, Johnson, Beverly, Manion, London, Cocoran ... Represent!!!

Philos_Finest
All Conference

Post by Philos_Finest »

Pfloyd, I normally agree with you but if you think Chillicothe is 10+ points better than JG you're sadly mistaken(imo of course).

Jake is their best player & will be the best player on the floor. He is a 6'4 combo guard that can do anything, shoot it, handle it, drive, pull-up, he has it all. Zach Atkins is also a very nice complimentary player who averages around 12ppg.

Game is also being discussed on the MVLForum & if anyone wants more info on the Muskies, stop on by.

Here is a highlight video of Jake that includes his freshmen & sophomore seasons http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7GJJhoOunA

Dshanton3
JV Team

Post by Dshanton3 »

EasternDspy wrote:Best player is Jake Heagen 35.He is all state and is a beast.He scored 44 in a game this year.Also Dotson has range for days.John Glenn is very good and shoots it a lot better.
Ok thanks for the clarification, i remembered they had one kid that was tall and was their stud but for some reason thought it was 44.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Philos Finest - I have no problem agreeing to disagree ... imo the Chillicothe man to man defense that the Cavs apply for the 32 minutes (anyone who is used to getting THEIR shots - "ain't" going to get to those spots on the floor vs the Cavs AND the "sheriff of London-ville" Mr. London's ability to block/alter shots in the paint/AND rebound at both ends (20 rbs last night vs a very physical Warren ball club) ... sometimes I have a hard time agreeing with the old Ouija Board - seems to have a mind of it's own, moving around the board all up and down, right and left - but I'll side with the Board on this one and say that defense alone gives the Cavs at least a 3 fg advantage ... throw in 4 players capable of double digit scoring every night -stopping one with your one lockdown defensive player doesn't shutdown all four - THAT will account for 2 more fgs up on JG imo ... WE WILL SEE ! lol - that's why this game is sooooo great - on paper "stuff" looks one way BUT when you put the teams on the floor and ADD "the effort, the heart" of the kids - it can and usually does toss all that paper "stuff" right out the window ... John Glenn IS an excellent ball club - you don't lose but 2 games by a total of 2 points IF you aren't good, while stepping up in the last game of the season to knock off a good Sheridan ball club on Sheridan's home court - JG IS good ... I guess we will have to watch the John Glenn "key" Napkin Stat - when JG's defense holds it's opponent to 50 or less JG has gotten the "W" every time ... problem is JG has to get to 50 themselves in this one ... let's call it now - "first TEAM to 50 wins" ... if both TEAMS score less than 50 - a toss up ... LOL

Last edited by pfloyd on Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bschmee10
Waterboy

Post by bschmee10 »

"Jake is their best player & will be the best player on the floor."---

Have you seen Jalen Ragland play? I will agree Jake is the best on JG but I think you need to watch Jr play before making that assessment. (maybe you have? I hope not after that post) I saw the video on Jake but never in person and yeah he looks smooth but Jalen can get a high percentage shot anytime he wants/drive to the bucket. (He seems to kind of go with the flow a little too much for me i'd like to see him take charge more by driving which is simple if he wants to). I don't think anyone's outshooting Jalen. He's going D1 UTEP for a reason not a fluke. I've seen about 7 games from the cavs. It was towards the end of a regular season game at home where Jalen had 3 or 4 dunks and most if not all were in traffic. He just came out of nowhere and floated through the air with ease. Not saying dunking the ball makes you the best player on the court but like I said wait till you make your assessments. His shot is too smooth and when you play a foot above the rim not many kids in SEO can compare. 6"6 lengthy very athletic on both ends im going with Jalen. Just my uneducated opinion though.
Last edited by bschmee10 on Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

Go get em Cavs,,from a PHS guy in AZ
wipalawalt

Dshanton3
JV Team

Post by Dshanton3 »

Philos_Finest wrote:Pfloyd, I normally agree with you but if you think Chillicothe is 10+ points better than JG you're sadly mistaken(imo of course).

Jake is their best player & will be the best player on the floor. He is a 6'4 combo guard that can do anything, shoot it, handle it, drive, pull-up, he has it all. Zach Atkins is also a very nice complimentary player who averages around 12ppg.

Game is also being discussed on the MVLForum & if anyone wants more info on the Muskies, stop on by.

Here is a highlight video of Jake that includes his freshmen & sophomore seasons http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7GJJhoOunA
You cannot make that statement without having seen Jalen Ragland play. I will say this...I have seen Jake in person, and he is a very good high school player, but watching him and translating it to competing against Chilli i can tell you each bucket he gets is going to be earned the hard way. Jalens ability to score is natural and almost at times effortless. He's a matchup nightmare for anyone on most teams and almost certainly against JG. 6'6" with 25 foot range and ability to hurt you going to the basket (and as mentioned earlier dunk on you in traffic) is hard to compare to. Jalen has the luxury of having Malik down low to make Jake's life difficult, i'm not sure i've seen a JG player that can hurt Jalen. It's a matter of if Jalen is on or off. If he's on...there's no stopping him.

Return to “Boys Basketball”