Final: Portsmouth 61 Fairland 41 - District Championship

earp
S

Re: Portsmouth vs. Fairland - District Final D3 - 3/12 @ 9PM

Post by earp »

If I am not mistaking this is the 1st time since the 1991 regional semis that Fairland and Portsmouth have played in the tournament?

d2dragon
Riding the Bench

Post by d2dragon »

We need a good student section Saturday night! Let's take two bus loads instead of one! How about it FHSstudentsection get them fired up!

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

Go Trojans!!

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Will the Trojans show up and play up to their real capabilities ? Trojans by 10 if so.

buckwheat
Riding the Bench

Post by buckwheat »

Bendolph takes Fisher out of his game and Ptowns bigs to much for Salyers. Portsmouth wins a tight game by double digits by the time its over.

buckwheat
Riding the Bench

Post by buckwheat »

Tobias, Fairland would have been a #5 seed at best if they played at Jackson.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

Portsmouth has not been as dominant as they probably should have been thus far in the tourny. Will that change?? Probably. I think the trojans show up and win this one but Fairland will be a tougher test than South Point and Northwest.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

GOTTA FIGURE THEM FELLERS FROM SOWDY COUNTY WINS THIS ONE.

conehead
Freshman Team

Post by conehead »

Fairland, South Point showed you that winning is indeed possible. Just play your game like I know you can, and you'll do alright. Good luck Dragons! I know you've got all of the OVC behind you!

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

I expect the Trojans to again, do what they have to, to win. Don't have to be flashy and blow people out, just continue to win and advance. I expect another 10-15 point victory, but Fairland could make it much closer. PHS got into some foul trouble against Northwest with McKinley and Underwood ( both bigs) having 4 fouls apiece. We need to avoid that in this game, and through the rest of the tourny.
Portsmouth didn’t play their best game, in the last two games, but did what needed to be done when it was needed. Northwest cut the lead to I believe 4 in the second half on a big 3, but Wayne Evans went right back and hit one of his own on the insuring possession. That’s just an example; to me PHS has stepped up when they needed to, to win these last two games. The road continues to get harder, and they will have to continue to step up and make those big shots.
GO TROJANS

bigcline81
Riding the Bench

Post by bigcline81 »

i look for portsmouth to have a big game. i think dion has a chance to have a big game inside and evens.bendoph to get some good looks outside because of dion.......
phs- 72
fairland-58
thats just my guess

dime-a-dozen
Varsity

Post by dime-a-dozen »

Though you may not look at it this way Fairland can somewhat matchup with the Trojans athletically.

PHS FHS
Bendolph-------------- Fisher
Evans----------------- Baise
Underwood------------ Salyers
Mckinley--------------- Holbrook
5th starter------------- Riley/Fuller

Though im not sure who PHS 5th starter is they only sizeable missmatch for PHS is Underwood being guarded by Holbrook. Athletically i would say it is nearly even though some may not agree. This will be an up and down game. Though the spotlight will be on the guard matchups i believe the Dion Mckinley vs. Evan Salyers matchup will be the one to watch and i think most exciting if both stay out of foul trouble, they play together in the offseason so im sure they may know a few of eachothers moves. I think the key is if Blaine Fuller can post double digets off the bench. Im guessing upset here.

Fairland- 57
Portsmouth- 53

I have to go with the OVC just b/c of all the praise the SEOAL has been getting.

greenwave2332
Waterboy

Post by greenwave2332 »

Good luck Dragons!!!!

Snake
Waterboy

Post by Snake »

"MEN OF TROY IN THIS ONE"
Portsmouth- 63
Fairland- 56
:-D :-D :-D

ThePeakeInsider
JV Team

Post by ThePeakeInsider »

Good Luck from the PANTHER NATION,the Dragons need to believe they can win this game.Represent the OVC AND BRING HOME THE VICTORY,GO DRAGONS.

PEAKE POWER
Freshman Team

Post by PEAKE POWER »

Congrats to the Dragons on their Round 1 District win. Good luck in the District Finals. The Panthers are behind you. Go Dragons and go OVC.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Evans----------------- Baise
This right here is the difference imo. I think Wayne will abuse John on the offensive end, and if Wayne can keep John from going right, game over.

I want to see the OVC win obviously, but the Trojans are just so talented. I think the Dragons can run with the Trojans, but my concerns is what will they do to defend Portsmouth and who is going to keep Dion off the boards. I like Evan down low v Dion, but if Dion takes Evan outside imo he will take him off the dribble at will.

Portsmouth 63
Fairland 49

Hope I am wrong though.

Good luck Dragons!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Zaide Whitley has started both games in the tournament as the "5th" starter, so I anticipate him starting against the Dragons........Portsmouth's defense was OUTSTANDING after the 1st quarter vs. Northwest, holding the Mohawks to only 29 points the rest of the game........it was the type of defense that the Trojans played during the season, and much better than against South Point.

If the Trojans maintain that defensive intensity vs. the Dragons, I think they have an excellent chance to win.

Independent 2012 made a good point on the Northwest thread.........the Trojans have yet to play their best game in the tournament........and we Trojan fans know what these kids are capable of.

Congratulations to Andrew Bendolph on scoring 1,000+ points in his career........he stepped up BIG TIME in the Northwest game with a VERY BIG 3 pointer when the Mohawks cut the lead to 41-36. He did the same thing when the Trojans beat Chillicothe late in the season.

A win by Portsmouth will give the Trojans their 35th district championship and their first trip to the regionals since 2001.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

I think the last few games have proven that Bendolph can be a scoring guard if he is need to do so,

Wayne and Dion both got off to a slow start but picked it up,,,,this team works very well together,and one very Important part of their success this year,is we have been very fortunate to not have any serious injuries

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

biggdowgg: You make a very good point about injuries.......we have been healthy all year and need to be to keep going in the tournament.........Piketon had Legg and Vulgamore go down for a brief time with injuries suffered during the Alexander game.........fortunately they both returned to help the Redstreaks win the game.

Return to “Boys Basketball”