Drug Testing

bballfool
Freshman Team

Drug Testing

Post by bballfool »

Should student athlets be drug tested?

If no, what is your reasoning?

If yes, why and under what circumstances?

Should Coachs and Teachers be drug tested also?

Just wondering what your thoughts are. Thanks!!!

Mercerville Monster
All Conference

Re: Drug Testing

Post by Mercerville Monster »

Randomized drug testing for athletes - So you can get them help before or if it has turned in to a huge problem.

Mandatory drug testing for coaches and teachers - Just like any other job. You would think these professions would be drug tested more than any other being around kids! I have never got why these haven't been drug tested.

bballfool
Freshman Team

Post by bballfool »

If you have a prescription for it, is it ok?

Mercerville Monster
All Conference

bballfool wrote:If you have a prescription for it, is it ok?
Well yeah if you use it as prescribed. The only way there could be a problem is if a teacher was prescribed some drugs that made them drowsy or not as coherent, then I would suggest them taking a few days off.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

I have glacouma :12224

freethrow25
Riding the Bench

Post by freethrow25 »

Very interesting question. What/why would one even consider that we have come this far? Is there a reason to suspect such a "problem" already? If so, where do we draw the line?

bballfool
Freshman Team

Post by bballfool »

The one reason I bring this up is I talked to a member of our board of education and we have, to his knowledge, no drug testing policy in place for students, teachers, administrators, and or coaches.

You see in south eastern ohio more and more drug traffic. You hear more and more of drugs being in our school systems.

Do we need a policy or do we continue to ignore the problems.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

Very expensive, legally and medicinally. Unless a kid has a problem, let his parents take care of his out of school activities. If he is doing drugs at school it will show up in his performance.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Marietta has drug testing.

KVDW
SE

Post by KVDW »

EasternDspy wrote:Marietta has drug testing.
Oh,shucks. there goes GAHS4ever's problem theory. :lol:

KVDW
SE

Post by KVDW »

gahs4ever wrote:Dont forget the legal ramifications of what schools can and cannot randomly do.
if it goes to court test the lawyers and judges too. that'll make some headlines. :lol:

32, 16, 6
JV Team

Post by 32, 16, 6 »

You can get mouth swabs for 15.00. Urine tests are a little more. I have a job that has drug testing. It saves lives.
Our school sent out letters that said no bussing next year if we don't pass a levy. Do you think I want kids on the road that can't pass a drug test? Personally, I don't have anything to hide, drug testing doesn't bother me.
I'm not so sure Marietta has drug testing, I know they talked about it. If you test athletes, then you gotta test everybody, band, cheerleaders, choir students not involved in extra curricular activities. If you have an injury, like every other place, you can bet you will be tested again. GOOD IDEA IF YOU ASK ME.

datchillicav
JV Team

Post by datchillicav »

Teachers are randomly drug tested. At least in the districts I have been familiar with. As far as coaches who are not teachers, it probably depends on the district but I would guess most are not.

Drug testing is a good idea I think but too expensive to be practical in a high school setting most times.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Have you guys turned on a tv news show lately? lol If schools have it, the budget cuts coming down from Cbus will probably eliminate them! Everything in this world is money driven, look for a lot of things to start gutting the axe after March 15th, thats Kasichs budget rollout!

bballfool
Freshman Team

Post by bballfool »

It is so easy for us to come up with reasons why things can not be done and continue to ignor the problems. Would there be costs associated with drug testing, sure.

I pay more than my fair share of taxes, but I would be willing to pay an extra $15 dollars as would most tax payers in our county to try in someway to help these kids.

I here numbers like 75% of the kids in our school have either taken drugs or are taking drugs, that is 3 out of 4 kids...

I am sure that our bus drivers are tested. They have to follow DOT rules and regulations, so there must be some policy somewhere.

our employers require drug testing. (at least most of them, mine does).

fbhs74
Waterboy

Post by fbhs74 »

Participation in extracurricular activities is voluntary which separates athletes from potential ramifications related to the general student population and their mandated activities.

bballfool
Freshman Team

Post by bballfool »

Cost of testing 1000 X $15 = $15,000

The life of a kid = priceless

Etta34
Riding the Bench

Post by Etta34 »

All athletes at Marietta are being tested this year. Next year the band/choir gets tested. I know band for sure. Then down the road they are talking about the whole school but thats speculation right now. I believe the test costs $15 a person. The tests have proven to be effective leading to a couple athletes being suspended.

Mercerville Monster
All Conference

I don't know if they still do or not but I am pretty sure Fairland used to give randomized drug tests to athletes. As sa as it is to say, if they did this some schools would not have teams.

I am with bballfool though. I would be willing to give an extra 15 dollars on my taxes to pay for it. There may be a 1,000 people in the school but how many people are in the county paying the taxes? This could easily be paid for.

Sadly, I have seen what drugs can do to people. I went to school with many people that had drug problems and still do to this day and I have had friends who were addicted and it eventually ended their life. Sad thing is, I am only 25 years old and already seen it happen to kids my age.

bballfool
Freshman Team

Post by bballfool »

Monster, I was wondering if there was testing, how may schools could field a team? You never know.

How many schools would have enough teachers???

How many coaches would we loose???

Return to “Boys Basketball”