Clay vs South Webster 2-5-11

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Clay vs South Webster 2-5-11

Post by rockyraccoon »

Both teams coming off wins, seem to be pretty even looking at common opponents. This game will have big implications on tournament seedings. Who do you like?

grayjonathan42
Waterboy

Re: Clay vs South Webster 2-5-11

Post by grayjonathan42 »

i like clay in this one looking forward to the big green game for most likley a share of the championship with symmes valley because i dont see them losing anymore. i think clay will come to play and show everybody that they can play with teams not in thier conference. even though they have only lost by 1-8 points in those games no one believes that clay has the ability to beat those teams so they will want to prove that against one of the best teams in the area

live4sport
JV Team

Post by live4sport »

I'll take Webster by 15. I won't go into details because i know kids on both teams but I have to go with Webster.

svbt1112
Varsity

Post by svbt1112 »

Common Opponents: Valley, Minford, Northwest and Notre Dame

Clay's Record 1-3 / South Webster's Record 6-0

Both coming off of wins last night: Clay Beat East / Webster Beat Wheelersburg

South Webster has quality wins over Portsmouth and Wheelersburg and Valley----lost to Oak Hill, Waverly and Wheelersburg

Clay has wins over Eastern and Symmes Valley and Green---lost to Symmes Valley, New Boston, Minford, Rock Hill, Northwest and Valley

Yeah that seems even

I sure hope we can go out there and hold our own. I think we might even be the underdog on the road!

:122245

Just having a little fun Rocky! I wondered which way you would open this thread----We (as Clay) are huge underdogs............... or we are just as good as they are...........I champion your choice!

In my opinion if clay wins tonight it is an upset----but stranger things have happened---I hope our boys aren't too proud of the win last night and come in satisfied and end up in a close game which either team could win.

Go Jeeps!

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Jeeps by 23. Remember how bad Clay lost last year? 45 I believe it was?

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

svbt1112 wrote:Common Opponents: Valley, Minford, Northwest and Notre Dame

Clay's Record 1-3 / South Webster's Record 6-0

Both coming off of wins last night: Clay Beat East / Webster Beat Wheelersburg

South Webster has quality wins over Portsmouth and Wheelersburg and Valley----lost to Oak Hill, Waverly and Wheelersburg

Clay has wins over Eastern and Symmes Valley and Green---lost to Symmes Valley, New Boston, Minford, Rock Hill, Northwest and Valley

Yeah that seems even

I sure hope we can go out there and hold our own. I think we might even be the underdog on the road!

:122245

Just having a little fun Rocky! I wondered which way you would open this thread----We (as Clay) are huge underdogs............... or we are just as good as they are...........I champion your choice!

In my opinion if clay wins tonight it is an upset----but stranger things have happened---I hope our boys aren't too proud of the win last night and come in satisfied and end up in a close game which either team could win.

Go Jeeps!
Your looking at win/losses, I am looking at scores. Clay played with Valley most of the night, fell apart a bit at the end and Valley pulled away at the foul line losing 11. SW beat them 54/53 in OT. Clay had Minford beat 29 to 25 with 3 minutes to go. Tried to stall the ball for three minutes, two TO's and it's tied, then let Minford run off the last 1:37 to hit a winning lay up at the buzzer, losing 31 to 29. SW beat Minford on a last second shot (last time they played). NW was another game they let get away after having the lead, losing by 8, SW beats them by 3. ND was never in it with either team, so can't judge much on that. I think it will be a lot better game than last years 45 point fiasco, but Clay is the underdog. I think this game will stay in single digits, and will be a very hard physical game. Should be a good crowd on hand as Clay is having an alumni cheerleader night. Good luck to both teams.

claypantherfan
All State

Post by claypantherfan »

I want clay to win this one but I think South Webster will win this but I think it will be closer then most people think

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see this one be a close game. Clay and Webster have had some good battles over the years and with Webster coming off a huge win over Burg last night, focus could be an issue. I'll say..

Webster 56
Clay 49.*

live4sport
JV Team

Post by live4sport »

rockyraccoon---I mean no disrespect whatsoever---I am a fan of both schools but the only part of the score that matters is the final one. Clay was in all those ballgames but all you pointed out is their inability to finish the close ones. It's good to be in those close games but it's better to finish with the higher score on the board. Good luck tonight.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

live4sport wrote:rockyraccoon---I mean no disrespect whatsoever---I am a fan of both schools but the only part of the score that matters is the final one. Clay was in all those ballgames but all you pointed out is their inability to finish the close ones. It's good to be in those close games but it's better to finish with the higher score on the board. Good luck tonight.
My point, that was proven tonight, was that these are two very closely matched teams. There was no team in which Clay lost by 20 that SW beat by 20.

svbt1112
Varsity

Post by svbt1112 »

Clay played a great game tonight. They made their first 8 shots!

Rocky: Clay is definitely better than I thought. How in the world have you guys lost 7 games?

Gut check for the Jeeps----found a way to win. That is all that matters!

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

CLAY 21 12 13 13 59 1st OT 7 2nd OT 4 3rd OT 6 FINAL 76
S. W. 18 19 10 12 59 1st OT 7 2nd OT 4 3rd OT 14 FINAL 84

Clay jumped out to an 8 - 0 start before Scott hit's his first 3 of 5 threes in the first period and it's tied at 10 - 10. Clay runs it back up to 17 - 10, but SW battles back to tie the game at 24 all and then take their first lead at 27 to 26 with about 4 minutes in the half. Clay regains the lead at 43 - 42 with 2 minutes left in the 3rd quarter and it goes back and forth before SW pulls out to 5 or 6 points. With SW up 59 - 56, Clay's Jon Valentine runs the court off a missed freethrow, thru 4 players all smacking at the ball and with 2 defenders puts up a 25 footer at the buzzer to tie the game. It was his only basket of the second half, after scoring 9 in the first.
The overtime periods were played slowed down, Clay would get up 4 and SW would hit a big three. SW had two opportunities to win at the end of each OT, but good defense kept them from scoring. In the third OT, Clay had a couple of costly turnovers and missed a couple of shots and had to foul and SW hit their foul shots. Congrats to both team on playing one the best basketball games I have watched in years.
Stats from WNXT were as follows,
Clay- Burchett 19, Valentine 14, Delotell 14, Graham 9, Porter 8, Bussler 7, King 5. Clay shot 31 - 57 from the field, 7 - 13 from the foul line, and 7 - 13 from the three point line. The had 21 turnovers
SW - Scott 35, Loop 25, Miller 8, Wiggins 7, Sutton 3, Dyer 2, Goddard 2. They shot 28 - 62 from the field, 17 - 27 from the foul line, and 11 - 26 from the three point line. They commited 13 turnovers.

Player of the game went to Conner Scott.
Wendys Outstanding performers went to Valentine and Loop.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

svbt1112 wrote:Clay played a great game tonight. They made their first 8 shots!

Rocky: Clay is definitely better than I thought. How in the world have you guys lost 7 games?

Gut check for the Jeeps----found a way to win. That is all that matters!
They are playing a lot better now than they did in at the start. Hopefully this will carry on into tourney play, and these two teams will meet again at the Convo.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

who is wiggins? lol. It blew my mind when 99.3 said Connor had 35 points. didnt seem like he scored that much.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

Swanker Pine wrote:who is wiggins? lol. It blew my mind when 99.3 said Connor had 35 points. didnt seem like he scored that much.
You tell me. That's what is sounded like they said on the radio. Was that Scotts year or career high? From our side, I thought Scott had about 50. SW is good but they aren't very balanced. I haven't seen them play this year, but tonight if either Scott or Loop gets hurt or in foul trouble, it appears they would struggle.

btw, did any see the ref step on the ball right at the end of halftime in the JV game, and roll off it sideways right to the floor? I am glad he didn't get hurt, but that was funny.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

thats his career high. They don't play as well with him on the bench but he has yet to foul out. he had 4 at Valley in the 4th and Ater pulled him out on D and subbed in Malone. Subbed Connor back in on offense. Loop doesnt get in foul trouble. Connor is one of the best at driving it to the hole and/or drawing the foul and can shoot the lights out from deep. very seldom does he get called for a charge, but it happens sometimes. Miller is a great defender and ball handler but doesnt have the size to drive it hard like Scott. Ater said it on the radio last night " its a double edged sword" Its tough to beat a team when they have two guys who score 20 every game...

hats off to Clay though. Overheard their
coach at the end when a loss was certain he said they gave a championship effort. No doubt. I hope we don't meet up in the tournament!

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

i saw the ref fall :lol: his face was redder than the Jeeps jerseys after that :lol:

grayjonathan42
Waterboy

Post by grayjonathan42 »

this was a hard fought game on both sides. i was glad i went to watch an dyes the ref falling was classic. i think clay showed promise and i think south webster is good but they need someone else to step up and provide support to loop and scott. i think the clay at green game next friday will tell whether clay is ready for the tourney after a tough loss to go and play in a tough environment will be hard to do especially if they want to win. I think that these two teams will meet again in the convo no doubt and i look for it to be another classic game

live4sport
JV Team

Post by live4sport »

I've watched clay play 6 times this year and that was definately the game of the year for them. great job by both teams.

Rockyraccoon---my point was proven as well---you have to finish the close games. When it can go either way you have to find a way to push through and win. Clay is playing some really good ball right now though.

CharlieHustle
All Conference

Post by CharlieHustle »

That was one of the best games I've seen in awhile, even though i had to park two miles away! (Parking is just ridiculous at Clay.) But I also think that was one of the best officiated games I've seen all year, i know some Clay fans may disagree because they lost but I thought they did an excellent job. It was nice to see the gym packed at Clay.

Return to “Boys Basketball”