JV Team

Re: Marietta VS Fort Frye Who Do You Think Would Win

Post by amazinghocks »

Fort Frye

jcbigblue
Freshman Team

Post by jcbigblue »

Marietta, they play against better competition.

Hope2BCoach
Waterboy

Post by Hope2BCoach »

I will take Marietta by 15+! Fort Frye wouldn't be able to match up with there size, quickness, and athleticism. FF always plays man to man and they wouldnt have even one match up thats going there way. There only common opponent is Warren and Marietta had that game won until turnovers in the last 3 mins. FF lost to them by 16 last night was never really a close game.

mikethompson
Riding the Bench

Post by mikethompson »

Fort Frye

Johnny Quest
Freshman Team

Post by Johnny Quest »

Marietta would win 9 out of 10 times. Fort wins once because of the fluke factor.

1224pointman
Freshman Team

Post by 1224pointman »

Alot depends on... which part of the season schedule they played. In the first 5 games, the last 5 games, etc (playing D-1 and D-2 teams over the course of twenty games much tougher physically than playing D-3 and D-4 teams all season).... at which gym the game is played at (or neutral site)... If its the 2nd game of a back to back for either/or... How the game is being officiated from a foul standpoint... If one team or the other has an extra practice or two to prepare due to an open night on the schedule... these are just a few of the non-personnel issues.

I drain 3's
Varsity

Post by I drain 3's »

hope2coach wrote:I will take Marietta by 15+! Fort Frye wouldn't be able to match up with there size, quickness, and athleticism. FF always plays man to man and they wouldnt have even one match up thats going there way. There only common opponent is Warren and Marietta had that game won until turnovers in the last 3 mins. FF lost to them by 16 last night was never really a close game.
I've read in a couple threads that Marietta has some decent size down low, and that FF wouldn't be able to stop Marietta's bigs. Anybody ever stop to think how Marietta's bigs are going to stop whoever their guarding from draining 3's? I've seen this team play, and they're pretty good. Almost anyone on that team can hit it from deep, and their ball movement is outstanding. Fort Frye has played teams with size. I believe both River and MC have pretty good size, multiple kids on the team being 6'3 or taller.

Marietta had the game won if not for turnovers? Well, what's that say about Marietta's ability to handle pressure or make plays late in games? Also heard they made trouble making FT's. To me, that does not sound like a winning recipe. If you can't limit turnovers and make free throws, you're not going to beat very good teams. Maybe that's why the Tigers best win is against an average Cambridge team?

And I see you threw out the FF/Warren score. Well, for your and others consideration, Marietta had a chance to prove to all the doubters how good they were by going up against Portsmouth. They lost by 20.

Oh, and let's not forget. Liedtke > whoever Marietta's coach is.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Dumb topic Marietta players that post this stuff need to worry about the teams they actually play.Marietta bigs are not athletic.If you watched Garrett Legrean had a nice game last night.

Snowman79
Riding the Bench

Post by Snowman79 »

Put the size and schedule differences aside, Fort Frye has a legendary coach in liedtke
who can out coach just about anyone and has 300+ wins compared to Marietta's Secrest....sometimes the coach means more than the players and this matchup maybe one of those times.

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

I drain 3's wrote:
hope2coach wrote:Oh, and let's not forget. Liedtke > whoever Marietta's coach is.
That may be true, but not by enough that it would make a difference in the probable outcome of a Marietta win. Would be interesting to see this imagined game unfold.

Snowman79
Riding the Bench

Post by Snowman79 »

mhs95_06 wrote:
I drain 3's wrote:
hope2coach wrote:Oh, and let's not forget. Liedtke > whoever Marietta's coach is.
That may be true, but not by enough that it would make a difference in the probable outcome of a Marietta win. Would be interesting to see this imagined game unfold.

MHS your probably right but it sounds like it may had cost them the Warren game..... Maybe someday we will get to see a FF Marietta matchup for real.

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

Snowman79: In no way do I believe coaching cost MHS the Warren game. The Tiger players just could not handle the best pressure defense of the Warriors! And of course due to the players FT shooting, the Warriors didn't have to play their best pressure defense for as many possessions as they otherwise would have in order to get the lead late.

1224pointman
Freshman Team

Post by 1224pointman »

River is very small. One kid who sees extended playing time is over 6'0". They start 4 gaurds and have 5 gaurds on the floor on many occasions. Monroe Central's bigs, while they have 4 of them 6-4 or taller, are not real skilled players in the paint. This is a little off the topic, but I just wanted to clarify.

Snowman79
Riding the Bench

Post by Snowman79 »

Well it sounds like a few timeouts or substitutions should had been made late to help the tigers but were not... I'm not arguing the fact that the free throws and pressure hurt them but I just believe that there wasn't much done on the bench to counter the moves and runs Warren made late, that's all. A situation where a liedtke may have more experience to handle the situation and makeup for the play.

I drain 3's
Varsity

Post by I drain 3's »

1224pointman wrote:River is very small. One kid who sees extended playing time is over 6'0". They start 4 gaurds and have 5 gaurds on the floor on many occasions. Monroe Central's bigs, while they have 4 of them 6-4 or taller, are not real skilled players in the paint. This is a little off the topic, but I just wanted to clarify.
First page in the PVC schedules/results thread, Eastern made a post and said that River had two kids (#'s 42 and 10) that were both like 6'5. I haven't seen them personally, so I was just going based on what he said.

1224pointman
Freshman Team

Post by 1224pointman »

#42 won't letter he plays so few minutes. He plays 2-3 qtrs. of JV ball per night, he's a soph.

#10 is also a soph who starts and averages around 7-8 points per game. He has a long way to go in using his frame to his advantage, for example, he is not normally the leading rebounder for the team most nights.

I drain 3's
Varsity

Post by I drain 3's »

That's fine. Never said they went against great players with size, just that they've seen teams with size before.

ccrunner
Riding the Bench

Post by ccrunner »

Marietta wins the matchup this year. Marietta lost to Warren by 3 and FF lost to Warren by 16. Marietta handled Warrens pressure defense as well as FF did. Marietta turned it over 24 times and FF 22. Marietta had 6 steals and FF 4. Warren won the game against the Tigers mainly at the FT line making 25 of 36 while the Tigers were just 7-16. Against Warren FF was 12 of 23 while the Warriors were 13 of 21.

Liedtke has 400+ wins and has coached many more years than Secrest but this is not necessarily a judge of a better coach, just a judge of longevity. Also, the Tigers won the JV game by 12, FF lost by 11. FF shoots better in their own gym than they do on the road and this seems to affect them more (home vs road) than it does Marietta.

Just some facts and opinions to backup my viewpoint on who would win.

Return to “Boys Basketball”