What does Free Lunch have to do with athletics?

eagles73Taylor
SE

Re: What does Free Lunch have to do with athletics?

Post by eagles73Taylor »

3 kids in 3rd grade. Kid A's parents are well off working making 6 figures. Both parents played sports in high school. Kid A is talented at basketball. Mom and dad run him or her to biddy ball practices, camps, and aau.

Kid B's parents both work, lower middle class same thing both parents played sports in school. Kid B is talented. His or her parents struggle to find time, but get him to practices and what camps and aau they can afford.

Kid C's parents are on govt assistance. Neither parent played sports in school because they to came from impoverished families. Kid C has talent, but his or her parents cannot afford to run him or her to practice, buy them the equipment, let alone pay for camps, or aau travel.

Now, what does free or reduced lunch have to do with it? A lot, a persons socoio economic status gives or takes a lot from a childs ability to perform, not only in sports, but in the classroom as well.

Are there cases of kids overcoming these adversities, yes. However, the odds are stacked against them. Schools who has families better off socio economically typically field better sports teams. Look at Wheelersburg!~

davewottle
JV Team

Post by davewottle »

now I know why Massilon Jackson beat Moeller last year and Dayton Jefferson beat Newark Catholic for the state title

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

School administrators better do an in depth study of this proposal and not make rash decision when voting.
Past success in a sport will be a factor also.

Maybe there is more to it than what I have read but I believe I would vote against these changes.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

eagles73 wrote:3 kids in 3rd grade. Kid A's parents are well off working making 6 figures. Both parents played sports in high school. Kid A is talented at basketball. Mom and dad run him or her to biddy ball practices, camps, and aau.

Kid B's parents both work, lower middle class same thing both parents played sports in school. Kid B is talented. His or her parents struggle to find time, but get him to practices and what camps and aau they can afford.

Kid C's parents are on govt assistance. Neither parent played sports in school because they to came from impoverished families. Kid C has talent, but his or her parents cannot afford to run him or her to practice, buy them the equipment, let alone pay for camps, or aau travel.

Now, what does free or reduced lunch have to do with it? A lot, a persons socoio economic status gives or takes a lot from a childs ability to perform, not only in sports, but in the classroom as well.

Are there cases of kids overcoming these adversities, yes. However, the odds are stacked against them. Schools who has families better off socio economically typically field better sports teams. Look at Wheelersburg!~
A whole lot of true to that post...........A whole lot!

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

Take it one step further Kid c has to get a job after school to ensure there is food on the take and the electric is on. No time for sports. Yet he is counted against the school.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Free Lunch = Socioeconomics (Covers a very wide % per capita in SE Ohio)

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

^^^^ 29% of families living in the Piketon school district are living below the poverty level. This comes from the 2000 census, probably going to be higher from the 2010 census. 85% are on free and reduced lunches.

sandman
Freshman Team

Post by sandman »

Free and reduced lunch numbers are one of the main factors used to determine state-aid to districts in Ohio. It is actually advantageous for a district to have a high percentage from the administration's standpoint. Once they get to a certain point, some actually shoot for 100%. ie: The higher the number, the more state aid, as well grant monies. Now it seems that there may be a new reason to raise (or lower depending on how you look at it) this indicator.

There are studies that show that there is a direct correlation between low income and poor test performance, again having a negative impact on funding. With open enrollment, as schools perform more and more poorly, wealthier families leave the district for greener pastures, compounding the problem. I would have to assume that they feel that this may allow some of these students to experience a level of success that would translate into better performance in the classroom and perhaps convince some to stay put. They could also be making the connection that these students would not have access to the same types of training as the better funded districts provided by both private and public sources.

I do not necessarily agree but I feel that this may be the thinking. I think that you will find that in the end it is all about the money.

Winchell
JV Team

Post by Winchell »

eagles73 wrote:^^^^ 29% of families living in the Piketon school district are living below the poverty level. This comes from the 2000 census, probably going to be higher from the 2010 census. 85% are on free and reduced lunches.
Here are the numbers for free and reduced lunch in our basic area per Ohio Dept Of Ed.
Top 5
Rock Hill- 68%
Northwest- 64.51%
Coal Grove- 60.41%
South Point- 58.42%
Ironton- 56.6%

Piketon is at 52.43%.

sandman
Freshman Team

Post by sandman »

I was under the impression that at one time, Vinton County was way ahead of the rest.

Cookie
Freshman Team

Post by Cookie »

winchell wrote:
eagles73 wrote:^^^^ 29% of families living in the Piketon school district are living below the poverty level. This comes from the 2000 census, probably going to be higher from the 2010 census. 85% are on free and reduced lunches.
Here are the numbers for free and reduced lunch in our basic area per Ohio Dept Of Ed.
Top 5
Rock Hill- 68%
Northwest- 64.51%
Coal Grove- 60.41%
South Point- 58.42%
Ironton- 56.6%

Piketon is at 52.43%.

Actually I believe that OHSAA will be using the whole school district data when it comes to determining the "Socioeconomic Factor" for schools and not the building data from the ODE Report Card Data. Some schools, like Piketon, are grouped as Jr/Sr. High School (7-12) on their building report card while others are strictly Sr. High (9-12) schools. The web link is this: http://ilrc.ode.state.oh.us/

Free and Reduced Lunch Percentages by School District for the 2009-2010 school year:
Piketon - 64.8%
Rock Hill - 57.3%
Ironton - 55.0%
South Point - 61.8%
Coal Grove - 61.6%
Northwest - 66.4%

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Question cookie, my softball coach said that in order for our district to receive a grant from the feds last year for our computer tech we had to be above 70%?

tossithigh
Freshman Team

Post by tossithigh »

Cookie wrote:
winchell wrote:
Top 5
Rock Hill- 68%
Northwest- 64.51%
Coal Grove- 60.41%
South Point- 58.42%
Ironton- 56.6%

Piketon is at 52.43%.

Actually I believe that OHSAA will be using the whole school district data when it comes to determining the "Socioeconomic Factor" for schools and not the building data from the ODE Report Card Data. Some schools, like Piketon, are grouped as Jr/Sr. High School (7-12) on their building report card while others are strictly Sr. High (9-12) schools. The web link is this: http://ilrc.ode.state.oh.us/

Free and Reduced Lunch Percentages by School District for the 2009-2010 school year:
Piketon - 64.8%
Rock Hill - 57.3%
Ironton - 55.0%
South Point - 61.8%
Coal Grove - 61.6%
Northwest - 66.4%
Good info!! There is noticable difference between building and district data. What make you think district data rather than building data will be used??

wemufans
All Conference

Post by wemufans »

Middle and high school kids are too embarassed to get the free and reduced lunch forms filled out at home and would rather go hungry than have their classmates find out they are free! Sad but true. That is why the district vs. school rates would differ.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

wemufans wrote:Middle and high school kids are too embarassed to get the free and reduced lunch forms filled out at home and would rather go hungry than have their classmates find out they are free! Sad but true. That is why the district vs. school rates would differ.

Very true, I work in an afluent school district and many of the poorer students choose not to eat so their peers do not know they are Free/reduced.

wink
JV Team

Post by wink »

Well it only took ohsaa 20 years to admit there is a problem so I guess another 5 years to implement it is about right. :roll:

Maybe the Ohio Attorney General needs to do a time study on some of those folks.

Anybody know how many people ohsaa employs?

Return to “Boys Basketball”