Southeast District D4 Rankings 1-12-2011

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Southeast District D4 Rankings 1-12-2011

Post by jimmy chipwood »

Lots of games cancelled this week with nobody playing Tuesday night. I was hoping Tuesday night's games would provide some redemption for teams who didnt fair so well this past weekend. There is a substantial drop off after the top 3. If I had ties I would probably have a 3 (maybe 4 with Clay) way tie for the 8th spot.

1-12-2011 Rankings

1. Manchester (8-1) - Went 2-0 this week beating a solid D3 E. Brown by 14 and D3 WU by 38. Wins = Peebles, NA, Whiteoak, D2 CNE, Fayetteville, and Western.

2. Eastern Meigs (8-0) - Beat scrappy S.Gallia team by 7 this past week. Wins = Manchester by 2, Waterford, D2 Meigs, RV, Belpre, Federal Hocking, and Miller. Currently ranked #11 in AP Poll.

3. South Webster (5-1) - Beat D3 Minford by 15 this week. Wins = D3 Portsmouth, Northwest, ND, and P.West. Lost to #5 State Ranked Oak Hill.

4. Waterford (4-2) - Lost 64-52 to a solid Wahamma team on the road this past week. Wins = Trimble by 12, Southern, Federal Hocking and Miller.

5. Trimble (6-3) - Lost 71-69 to Wood County (WV) on the road. Wins = Wahamma (Away), D3 Alexander, D3 NY, S.Gallia, Southern, and Miller. Lost to #4 Waterford and D3 Athens.

6. Whiteoak (4-6) - Lost to strong D3 Peebles by 8 this week with Peebles pulling away in the final minutes. Wins = D3 E.Brown, D3 LC, Fairfield, New Boston by 35. Lost to #5 ranked Oak Hill by 3, #1 Manchester, D2 Hillsboro, D3 Paint Valley, and D3 North Adams before they came down with the plague.

7. Clay (4-4) - Big win over E. Pike this past week. Wins over Symmes Valley by 10, E.Pike by 13, NB, and Ironton St. Jo. Lost to D3's Valley by 11, Northwest by 8, Minford by 2, and Rock Hill by 1.

8. Eastern Pike (5-4) - Tough week losing to Wellston by 12 and Clay by 13. Would be ranked higher but only have 2 decent wins over D3 Minford and Notre Dame. Good loss to D2 Waverly by 3, D3 Valley by 34, along with Wellston and Clay.

9. Green (5-2) - Nice 58-54 win over Symmes Valley this past week. Wins = D3 Minford by 8, to go along with winless teams New Boston, East, and Western. Lost to D3's Wheelersburg by 19 and Fairland by 13.

10. Symmes Valley (5-3) - Lost to Green 58-54 this week. Wins = S. Gallis by 3, Ironton St. Jo by 13, ND by 11, Rock Hill by 15, and Coal Grove by 18. Lost to #5 Oak Hill by 20, Clay by 10, and Green by 4.

*Fairfield (2-7) - beat struggling D3 NA by 38 and lost to strong D3 Southwest District Ripley by 10 at Ripley. All-State Cox is back and healthy!!!

*South Gallia (4-4) - very competitive 7 point loss to #2 Eastern Meigs. Best win against Ironton St Jo by 4???

*Ironton St. Jo (5-5) - Best win against Notre Dame by 1???

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Southeast District D4 Rankings 1-12-2011

Post by Ironman92 »

Fairfield and their body of work do not deserve to be in the top 10....but with Cox back AND Rolark tearing it up they are a top 5 D4 team IMO.

Time will tell.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Whiteoak and Fairfield will probably get matched up in the tournament, because I think everyone will be looking to avoid them. Cox(IMO) is the best player in the district and Whiteoak plays everyone tough.

Don't agree with the #1(right now), but they probably will end up there at the end of the season. Overall, a very good list and I'm glad to see the Lions get a mention, despite the record.

How many teams will advance to the Regionals from the District this year? Because there are definitely 5 or 6 very strong teams this year and the games at the Convo should be very fun.

eaglesorfalcons
Freshman Team

Post by eaglesorfalcons »

I know it's not that big of a deal. but 4 of easterns 8 wins have been against D3 or bigger teams.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Yeah......they'll find a way for two dangerous SHL schools to play each other.....they do it every year.

Do 2 D4 teams make the regionals this year?

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

ironman: according to OHSAA.org., 2 seohio D4 teams will be at Regionals this year. They will meet in the Regional semis.*

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

good

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Post by jimmy chipwood »

eaglesorfalcons wrote:I know it's not that big of a deal. but 4 of easterns 8 wins have been against D3 or bigger teams.

They have beat 4 D3 schools with Meigs (D2) being the best of the 4, followed by River Valley, and than Belpre (2-6) and Federal Hocking with 1 win. Although, I must admit I think Belpre and Federal Hocking are getting better and will win more games as the season goes on.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

the only thing holding SW back is the snow. these next 3 games should push them up with Waverly (D2) and Valley (blake yates and company) on the menu. They stayed with Oak Hill most of the game till they had to foul. They might have the best point guard in the SOC2 (probably the toughest in the SE besides the seoal) . The snow needs to hold off plain and simple.

eaglesorfalcons
Freshman Team

jimmy chipwood wrote:
eaglesorfalcons wrote:I know it's not that big of a deal. but 4 of easterns 8 wins have been against D3 or bigger teams.

They have beat 4 D3 schools with Meigs (D2) being the best of the 4, followed by River Valley, and than Belpre (2-6) and Federal Hocking with 1 win. Although, I must admit I think Belpre and Federal Hocking are getting better and will win more games as the season goes on.
just thought i would mention it since everyone else's wins or losses against D3 or higher is mentioned in this thread.

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Post by jimmy chipwood »

Swanker Pine wrote:the only thing holding SW back is the snow. these next 3 games should push them up with Waverly (D2) and Valley (blake yates and company) on the menu. They stayed with Oak Hill most of the game till they had to foul. They might have the best point guard in the SOC2 (probably the toughest in the SE besides the seoal) . The snow needs to hold off plain and simple.

If SW can take down those two giants (Waverly is a very good team despite record) I will have to carefully evaluate the top 3. Wouldnt that be something for SW to jump in front of an undefeated Eastern Meigs too (JK - sort of). Contrary to what some of you believe I have the upmost respect for Eastern Meigs and love the way they play the game of basketball. They do two things that separate them from almost every team around - 1) They play intense fundamental defense the way it is supposed to be played and 2) They have great discipline on offense and value each possession by working for the best shot possible (Shot Selection).

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Post by jimmy chipwood »

Green 54
ND 41

Green is playing some good ball right now. Dont remember off hand who they have this weekend but with another win or two this team is moving up the rankings.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

I have not seen Meigs play this year or last but from reading seops I can see that they can play like the best and some nights the struggle but what team doesn't once in a while. As long as they stay undefeated I couldn't justify placing SW over them or Manchester (whom I watched in the sectionals last season) The bulk of the SOC2 schedule is coming up and its a true gauntlet that will prove how solid Webster is. There are 4 or 5 teams that could beat almost everyone in Southern Ohio in one league. No clear front runner yet, but imo its impressive that the only d4 team in the league can still pound it out with the big dogs year in and year out. If they can find a way to beat the zone they can win the league.

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Post by jimmy chipwood »

Swanker,

You said it in your comment. The SOC2 has 5 very good teams (Oak Hill, SW, Waverly, WBurg, and Valley) who can play with almost anyone around. My rankings are all about asking the question "Who is the better team" and not "What is your record". I know it is hard for people to break the cycle of the typical poll/rating system where win/loss record means everything but I simply am not going to follow that format. If South Webster can defeat the quality teams in their league they will move ahead of Eastern Meigs regardless if they stay unbeaten or not. Ask yourself the following questions? 1) Who is better Waterford or Oak Hill? 2) Who is better Trimble or WBurg? Who is better Wahama or Valley? Who is better South Gallia or Waverly? Who is better Racine Southern or Northwest?

eaglesorfalcons
Freshman Team

imo oak hill is better than waterford ,other than that the rest of the tvc teams you have mentioned are at least even if not better than the soc teams that you have mentioned.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

eaglesorfalcons wrote:imo oak hill is better than waterford ,other than that the rest of the tvc teams you have mentioned are at least even if not better than the soc teams that you have mentioned.
The SOC would win the vast majority, if not all, of those matchups.

Hardwood
JV Team

Post by Hardwood »

TribeManiac10 wrote:
eaglesorfalcons wrote:imo oak hill is better than waterford ,other than that the rest of the tvc teams you have mentioned are at least even if not better than the soc teams that you have mentioned.

The TVC hears the same thing every year, just like last year how much better the SOC was but when tournament time came the TVC sent both teams out of the Wellston sectional. Then took care of an SOC team in the district. For as many games as the TVC wins they get little respect but how well they do in the tournament is all that really matters.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

Hardwood wrote:
TribeManiac10 wrote:

The TVC hears the same thing every year, just like last year how much better the SOC was but when tournament time came the TVC sent both teams out of the Wellston sectional. Then took care of an SOC team in the district. For as many games as the TVC wins they get little respect but how well they do in the tournament is all that really matters.
As far as tournament success goes I would not put the TVC against the SOCII in any comparison. As far as D4 teams go they can hold their own but I would not compare some some smaller TVC teams to frequent D3/D2 powerhouses like Wheelersburg, Oak Hill, Waverly, or Valley.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

how many state appearances has the TVC had in the past 8 years?

Hardwood
JV Team

Post by Hardwood »

Swanker Pine wrote:how many state appearances has the TVC had in the past 8 years?
Why did you cut it off at 8 years? Lets go on last season Southern a TVC team beat South Webster a SOC team in the district so the TVC in D4 went farther then SOC in D4. The year before Oak Hill a SOC team beat Southern a TVC team in the regionals so a SOC team went farther then a TVC team in D4. Anyone can take two different leagues and pick a certain era and make their league look good. I think the SOC is a good conference but the TVC Hocking has had quite a bit of success too. So to say an undefeated team in the TVC should be ranked behind a 2 loss team in the SOC doesn't really make a lot of sense.

Return to “Boys Basketball”