Minford at Clay 12-07-10

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Minford at Clay 12-07-10

Post by rockyraccoon »

What are your thoughts on this game? Clay coming off 48-40 loss at NW after a poor shooting performance open up their home game season against Minford, who lost their opener to Eastern.

halftime
JV Team

Re: Minford at Clay 12-07-10

Post by halftime »

Should be a dog fight! Could go either way, it's going to come down to who will box out and who will get to line more. Also if Clay can keep there turnovers under 10 again they have a really good chance. They finally got the jitters out of them from the first only shooting 20+% from the field. I look for them to come to there home court and shoot lights out on Minford. Minford is more physical but Clay can push the ball up the court quick. My vote will be Clay winning this game at the home court.

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

Clay by 5 (should be a good measuring stick to help compare Eastern and Clay from a common opponent).

Good luck panthers.

claypantherfan
All State

Post by claypantherfan »

i say clay in a close on because I know they will shoot alot better on their home court

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

Not sure will be a good one I think if clay will get the ball to the post and limit the jumpers by there guards I think they will win by 10+ if there guards dribble the air out of the ball like most high school guards do then minford will win but it will be competitive I think .I got clay by 3.

Larry Bird
Freshman Team

Post by Larry Bird »

Ill take Clay by 10. Minford will still be getting used to playing with the roundball instead of the pigskin. Game is at Rosemount and the panthers just to much for the falcons.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

Clay 9 2 14 4 Final 29
Minford 6 5 10 10 Final 31

Both teams shot poorly as the 11 to 11 halftime scores shows Clay only scored 2 points in the 2nd quarter. If you have watched Clay since Coach Trainer has been there, you already knew how this game would end. Up 29 to 25 with about 3:00 on the clock, they go into the 5 man weave and have the big men up top, trying to run the clock? They missed at least 2 easy shots, but as usual, they also took 2 threes and missed and let Minford score on two break away lay-ups to tie the game. Then they let Minford run the last 1:37 off the clock. So no one on Clay's side was surprised when Minford got a wide open lay-up with 2.9 seconds left against Clay's man to man defense.
Sloppy shooting from both teams, and I know the coach can't shoot the ball for the boys, but Minford coach knew how to put his team in a position to win.

I should add that Clay has outplayed their first two opponents, just been a victim of poor shooting percentages. NW and Minford game they had at least 10 balls roll in and out of the rim. As soon as they start finishing their lay-ups things will turn around. New Boston on Friday night, it's time to put these first two games behind them and cut loose on the SOCI.

Waterdog
Riding the Bench

Post by Waterdog »

Tonight was a weird game for Clay & Minford. Neither team shot well. I heard Clay players practiced at 6 AM on game day. Big Duh! for the Coach . What was he thinking? The boys played like they were in the Twilight Zone. Next time ...let them get some rest so they can come in the game with come stamina & brain power. Good Luck to both teams and congrats to Minford for eeking this one out.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

I agree about the 6 - 7:30 am practice on game day. I figure if you ain't ready by then, being tired isn't going to help. Using that mentality after this loss, they should come in at 4am for the New Boston game.

halftime
JV Team

Post by halftime »

Clay has probably been playing the best defense they have in a long time! They just cant shoot the ball worth crap right now. I mean 11 points in a half and 29 points for a game? That's not very good. Only thing they can do is keep shooting the ball they will eventually fall.

Jake Lane
JV Team

Post by Jake Lane »

You guys that are grilling coach Trainer have absolutely no clue! He can't put the ball in the hoop for the players. And as far as the early practice thing, BULL! Some of the "Senior leadership" needs a little waking up at times, cause they sure don't seem to get it at home. Oh, but it's easier to blame the coach than a parent who doesn't carry out discipline on his own to be home at a decent hour and in bed. This team will be a very good team if posters like you just leave it alone and let the man coach. Remember that the players look at this junk too. Like coach Compton said last year, NO EXCUSES!!!

bballin
JV Team

Post by bballin »

This game was like one of them Lee sisters... UGLY..lol

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

Jake Lane wrote:You guys that are grilling coach Trainer have absolutely no clue! He can't put the ball in the hoop for the players. And as far as the early practice thing, BULL! Some of the "Senior leadership" needs a little waking up at times, cause they sure don't seem to get it at home. Oh, but it's easier to blame the coach than a parent who doesn't carry out discipline on his own to be home at a decent hour and in bed. This team will be a very good team if posters like you just leave it alone and let the man coach. Remember that the players look at this junk too. Like coach Compton said last year, NO EXCUSES!!!
Don't be so sensitive Jake, I think it was said above...
"Sloppy shooting from both teams, and I know the coach can't shoot the ball for the boys, but Minford coach knew how to put his team in a position to win."

Minford's coach also couldn't shoot the ball for his boys, but he knew if he held onto the ball for the last 1:40 seconds, he would get the last shot for the win (as did everyone in the gym but Clay's coach). Clay should have tried to steal the ball and if they fouled, so be it. Minford was having a bad night from the field and the line. The way it was played, the best result would have been OT. You don't play to tie, you want the ball in your hand at the end of the game.

We agree on one thing, this will be a good team. They lost by 8points and 2 points to teams who have beat them by 20 and 30 points plus. They shouldn't have lost either game, but that is history. I look for them to win 12 to 15 games, but only on their talent, not by coaching.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Jake Lane wrote:You guys that are grilling coach Trainer have absolutely no clue! He can't put the ball in the hoop for the players. And as far as the early practice thing, BULL! Some of the "Senior leadership" needs a little waking up at times, cause they sure don't seem to get it at home. Oh, but it's easier to blame the coach than a parent who doesn't carry out discipline on his own to be home at a decent hour and in bed. This team will be a very good team if posters like you just leave it alone and let the man coach. Remember that the players look at this junk too. Like coach Compton said last year, NO EXCUSES!!!

He may not be able to put the ball in the basket for the boys, but he could at least do something positive to help them get a win. Practice at 6:00 am on game day??? Who in their right mind has kids get up at 5:00 am, or 5:30 am at the latest, and then practice them for a hour and a half on game day??? You want your team well rested for a game that evening, not dog tired from being up since the crack of dawn. Hell, it's not even daylight at that time in the morning because I am usually on my way home from work then.

And in the Minford game, why not go for the steal in the last 1:37? Even if you foul, like Rocky said, Minford was struggling from the free throw line and you at least get the ball back in your possession so you decide the game, not let a team run the entire clock out and hit one at the buzzer. And why in the world does he go into his 5 man weave with 4 minutes left and a 4 point lead? Especially with two big men who can't handle the ball. It cost him the win, plain and simple. I have watched this man coach for 4 years now and I still don't see positive changes that help the team.

Dean
Freshman Team

Post by Dean »

I know many successful coaches who have had their kids come in early on game day to improve aspects of the team with which they are struggling(especially early in the season).

buddy
Waterboy

Post by buddy »

Coach Trainer cant seem to do anything right with a couple people on here. Sounds like shooting is the main problem. Someone said they were 15-54 at Northwest and i think maybe worse for the Minford game. Scoring 2 pts in a quarter is bad for any high school team and how is that Trainers fault?. Saw in box score one of the bigs didnt score at all? I think with this team i would have started the weave at the start of the 4th quarter to lowere the 3 point shooting which is very poor to take time off the clock if Clay had the lead.

I would save a time out if Clay was leading the last two minutes of the game and give orders not to shoot the 3 pointer. I would take out the first player who shot the ball. How many 3 [point] shots do you think they would get off in 1.37? I can see holding the ball with shooters not able to hit the ocean with the ball. It would be different if someone made some shots but right now nobody is making shots from out front or under the basket but as usual it is poor coaching i quess.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

buddy wrote:Coach Trainer cant seem to do anything right with a couple people on here. Sounds like shooting is the main problem. Someone said they were 15-54 at Northwest and i think maybe worse for the Minford game. Scoring 2 pts in a quarter is bad for any high school team and how is that Trainers fault?. Saw in box score one of the bigs didnt score at all? I think with this team i would have started the weave at the start of the 4th quarter to lowere the 3 point shooting which is very poor to take time off the clock if Clay had the lead.

I would save a time out if Clay was leading the last two minutes of the game and give orders not to shoot the 3 pointer. I would take out the first player who shot the ball. How many 3 [point] shots do you think they would get off in 1.37? I can see holding the ball with shooters not able to hit the ocean with the ball. It would be different if someone made some shots but right now nobody is making shots from out front or under the basket but as usual it is poor coaching i quess.
Let's look at the points you make and compare them to the first two game and see what "coaching was done"
In the Minford game, neither team was hitting any outside shots. Minord's coach got out of man to man and went to a 1-3-1 zone to shut down the inside game and lay-ups. Clay stayed in man to man. Clay fell into Minford's plan, shot 1 -14 from the 3 point line, that's being outcoached. Up 29 to 25 with 2 minutes left Clay went to the 5 man weave, missed two forced lay up and two THREES (before that point they were 1 for 12 from the 3). The weave hasn't produced anything in four years but forced lay ups and three's since the big men are out on top (which is also why the get outrebounded).
At the end of the game, Minford held the ball for 1:40 for the last shot. As said above, Clay should have went for the steal and/or foul. Instead they stayed in man to man and chased the ball, got caught on a back door screen and gave up a wide open lay up with 3 seconds left. So instead of trying to steal the ball, or go into a zone forcing Minford to shoot contested from outside (they shot about 25% as well), Clay gave up a 90% shot, right under the basket. That's what we mean by being outcoached.
NW was plain and simple. Down 8 points with 50 seconds, NW coach gives up the lay ups to Clay and watches the perimeter figuring if they can make at least 1 of 2 or their foul shots (they were in the double bonus) Clay can only gain 1 point per trip, and there wasn't enough time on the clock to make 8 trips. Coach T tells the boys to take the ball to the hoop, they won't contest the shot, and we fall right into NW plan. That's being outcoached.
Not saying they would have made the threes at NW (They were 2 for 12 that night), but you have to know when to hold em and know when to fold em.

Dean
Freshman Team

Post by Dean »

So Clay held Minford to 31 points and you are saying Coach T. got outcoached because he did not switch his defenses. That's good basketball logic.(sarcasm intended).

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Post by jimmy chipwood »

I agree with BurgGrad77, nobody in their right mind has 15-17 year old kids come in at 6 am and practice for an hour and a half on a game night! Especially when that coach knows that half of his team will not get adequate sleep the night before for whatever reason.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

Dean wrote:So Clay held Minford to 31 points and you are saying Coach T. got outcoached because he did not switch his defenses. That's good basketball logic.(sarcasm intended).
Clay didn't "hold" Minford to 31 anymore than Minfor "held" Clay to 29. Both teams shot horribly. Clay was in the 20% from the field and 7% from the three (1 for 14) Minford's coach made adjustments to the way his team and his opponent were playing, and came out on top. Clay made no adjustments and lost. End of story.
What is the saying about trying the same thing over and over again and expecting different results?

Return to “Boys Basketball”