OVC Outlook 2016-17

Truthhurts
Waterboy

Thoughts on OVC

Post by Truthhurts »

Thoughts and Predictions?

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: Thoughts on OVC

Post by trojandave »

The Fairland Dragons should be the prohibitive favorite for the OVC title this year, with all 5 starters back. The Dragons rolled to a perfect 14-0 conference mark last season, and could very well repeat that feat in 2016-2017. They should also get quality minutes off their bench, with several of those players returning as well. With a year of experience in playing together, Fairland could play their way into the Final 4. FHS could very well be the best team in the SE district in 2016-2017.

As far as the rest of the OVC, I look at Ironton, South Point, Portsmouth, and Chesapeake to battle for spots 2-5, while Rock Hill, Coal Grove, and Gallia Academy will be trying to move into the middle of the pack.

Here's a look at the teams that could challenge Fairland for the OVC title if the Dragons somehow stumble:

Ironton: Lost Phillip Kratzenburg, Desmond Young, and Marquis Davis. Sophomore class is good, but depth may be an issue with the Fighting Tigers. If Charlie Large returns to full health, that would be a huge plus.

South Point: The Pointers return 4 starters from last season, including a very good PG who was a freshman last season (Name?). SP does not have a lot of size, but good athleticism.

Chesapeake: The Panthers lost several key players, including Gage Rhodes and Chad Meadows, their top 2 scorers. CHS will be offensively challenged this year.

Portsmouth: Kyre Allison is a huge loss for the Trojans. His 21.5 PPG will be sorely missed, in addition to his rebounding ability. Senior Kendal Reynolds returns after a 17 PPG junior year. Lack of size will be a major challenge for the Trojans to overcome.

Fairland's Collin Van Horn is probably the preseason POY in the OVC, and could get POY for the D3 SE district. Portsmouth's Kendal Reynolds has an excellent chance to join him on 1st team all district honors.

The OVC has been represented at the OHSAA state tournament in 4 of the last 7 seasons. Chesapeake in 2010, Portsmouth in 2011 and 2012, and Ironton in 2013 all advanced to the Final 4, with Portsmouth finishing D3 state runnerup in 2012.

It's very unlikely that any of the above mentioned teams could dethrone Fairland from their lofty status, but in high school basketball sometimes things get unpredictable.

Firebreather
Freshman Team

Post by Firebreather »

I agree with Dave's placement. The league will be strong with multiple teams making a run in Athens. Lofty expectations for the Dragons along with a tough nonconference slate will probably cause a hiccup in their quest for an undefeated run through the OVC. Ironton and Portsmouth should provide the biggest challenges for them. Gallia should be on the rise with the addition of the 6-10 freshman. I worry about the Peake though. They lost a lot and news is some of the players are not coming out. Hope this is not the case.

bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

Firebreather wrote:I agree with Dave's placement. The league will be strong with multiple teams making a run in Athens. Lofty expectations for the Dragons along with a tough nonconference slate will probably cause a hiccup in their quest for an undefeated run through the OVC. Ironton and Portsmouth should provide the biggest challenges for them. Gallia should be on the rise with the addition of the 6-10 freshman. I worry about the Peake though. They lost a lot and news is some of the players are not coming out. Hope this is not the case.
From what I've heard it is the same as your statements. Freshmen will make up the majority of the roster. Lack of size, lack of scoring, but Davis will keep them competitive. A top 5 finish in the conference however will be a good year. The meetings with Fairland will get ugly quick and the two play each other in previews.

As for the rest of the conference, it's Fairland and then the rest. South Point will pose as the biggest spoiler to me

ROLL PEAKE
bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

Trojandave the name of the South Point PG you mentioned is Tayshawn Fox

ROLL PEAKE
bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

im having trouble finding a player (freshmen included) on Chesapeake's potential varsity roster taller than 6'0"

ROLL PEAKE
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

trojandave , bbn77 ... I received information that Isaiah Howell for Fairland transferred to Huntington Catholic ? is that correct ? ...

bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

pfloyd wrote:trojandave , bbn77 ... I received information that Isaiah Howell for Fairland transferred to Huntington Catholic ? is that correct ? ...

There were rumors about it for awhile but he stayed. Played football for the Dragons this year as well

ROLL PEAKE
svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Gallia academy will very much be a work in progress. This year it will be very fun to watch them jell. The Freshman Addition Zach Loveday may be taller then 6' 10 seems to me like he has grown since summer and added some more weight. Most of the kids that get a lot of playing time should be underclassmen. i think if they start their best 5 it will be 2 juniors 2 sophomores and a freshmen. This will probably be there best shooting team in years. the question will be how well can they play Defense.

for any one who doesn't know about loveday. here is an article. how he develops from here we will have to see. but Have a feeling for the first time in years the blue devils are on the verge of being relevant in basketball again.

http://buckeyeprep.blogspot.com/2016/03 ... elite.html

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I remember seeing the Loveday kid when Portsmouth played at Gallia Academy. When I found out that he was an 8th grader, I was amazed at his size. Hopefully he will have the self motivation to become the best basketball player he can be.

Gallia Academy has been down a long time. Would very much like to see them return to respectability, perhaps this year may be the start of going in the right direction.

Thanks, bbn77, for the name on the SP guard. He played really well against the Trojans last year.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

bbn77 wrote:
pfloyd wrote:trojandave , bbn77 ... I received information that Isaiah Howell for Fairland transferred to Huntington Catholic ? is that correct ? ...

There were rumors about it for awhile but he stayed. Played football for the Dragons this year as well

Thanks bbn77 ... with Howell staying put Fairland is solidly in the #1 spot in SouthEast Ohio ... they should be outstanding !!!

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

thinking of Gallia and Portsmouth brings back memories of Trojan Dave watching an old friend of mine Jamie Lane taking those long threes against the Trojans and daves face getting so red ....lol

ovcfan12
Riding the Bench

OVC Outlook 2016-17

Post by ovcfan12 »

What is everyone's prediction for the conference this year? Fairland went undefeated in conference play last year and returns everyone. Chesapeake lost their 2 best players. South Point will have the Fox kid who is the real deal. Ironton should be solid. Portsmouth lost one of the best kids to ever come through their school. And then Coal Grove, Rock Hill, and Gallia I have no idea about.

bbn77
All Conference

Re: OVC 2016-2017

Post by bbn77 »

It's Fairland and then everyone else.

1. Fairland - return their top 7 or 8 (who are juniors this year)
2. Portsmouth - Reynolds leads the way trying to replace Alison
3. Ironton - don't know much but it's still a LaFon team, heard they have young talent
4. South Point - If you haven't watch Tayshawn Fox play, kid is gonna be an all stater in a couple of years, good athletes, could make noise
5. Coal Grove - they have more scoring than they get credit for, they'll compete
6. Chesapeake - Davis will have the team ready, guard heavy, very little size, 4 guards and a center I'd imagine
7. Gallia Academy - bright future with the Loveday kid and other young guys, good learning year for Blue
8. Rock Hill - someone told me a while back there's talent coming up, if so then just be patient

ROLL PEAKE
trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

The Fairland Dragons should be the prohibitive favorite for the OVC title this year, with all 5 starters back. The Dragons rolled to a perfect 14-0 conference mark last season, and could very well repeat that feat in 2016-2017. They should also get quality minutes off the bench, with several of those players returning as well. With a year of experience in playing together, Fairland could play their way into the Final 4. FHS right now is probably the best team in the SE district, and some other teams will really have to impress to overtake the Dragons for that top spot.

As far as the rest of the OVC, I look at Ironton, South Point, Portsmouth, and Chesapeake to battle for spots 2-5, while Rock Hill, Coal Grove, and Gallia Academy will be trying to move into the middle of the pack.

Here's a small sample look at each of the remaining 7 OVC members:

Ironton: Lost Phillip Kratzenburg, Desmond Young, and Marquis Davis. Sophomore class is good, but depth may be an issue with the Fighting Tigers. If Charlie Large returns to full health, that would be a huge plus.

South Point: The Pointers return 4 starters from last season, including PG Tayshawn Fox, who had an outstanding varsity season as a freshman a year ago. SP does not have a lot of size, but good athleticism.

Chesapeake: The Panthers lost several key players, including Gage Rhodes and Brad Meadows, their top 2 scorers. CHS will be offensively challenged this year.

Portsmouth: Kyre Allison is a huge loss for the Trojans. His 21.5 PPG will be sorely missed, in addition to his rebounding ability. Senior Kendal Reynolds returns after a 17 PPG junior year, and will pass 1,000 points early in the season (has 917). Keep an eye on PG DJ Eley, a 5-9 junior. He could have a breakout year for PHS.

Coal Grove: Aaron Music returns, had a double figure game vs. Portsmouth last year. The Hornets are another team without a lot of size.

Rock Hill: Have a very good freshman (name?) that could start for the Redmen this year, but they did graduate their top scorer from last year. RH figures to be better after a rough 2015-2016 season.

Gallia Academy: The Blue Devils have a 6-9 freshman named Loveday, but they did graduate key players Wes Jarrell and Cole Carter.

Fairland's Collin Van Horn is probably the preseason POY in the OVC, and could get POY for the D3 district. Portsmouth's Kendal Reynolds has an excellent chance to join him on 1st team all district honors.

The OVC has been represented at the OHSAA state tournament in 4 of the last 7 seasons. Chesapeake in 2010, Portsmouth in 2011 and 2012, and Ironton in 2013 all advanced to the Final 4, with Portsmouth finishing D3 state runnerup in 2012.

It's very unlikely that any of the above mentioned teams could dethrone Fairland from their lofty status, but in high school basketball sometimes things get unpredictable.

purpleblood1
JV Team

Post by purpleblood1 »

Yes Peake is small and will have to play a run and gun offense with full court defense to play with most everyone, but they are Panthers and Panthers always play with heart and a never give up attitude. I think by the second half of the season they will upset some people and by tournament time you will see them win a couple at least.

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

Should be a fun year in the OVC, my Trojans have to find a way to put together nice deep runs in games,and somehow find a group to replace the stats of Kyre, Looking forward to reading all of the reports this season...GO TROJANS

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

GOOD LUCK TO THE IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS IN OVC ACTION THIS YEAR AND THE ENTIRE OVC.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Ironton should start to flex some muscle this year if all are healthy!

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth should be bolstered quite a bit with the addition of Gabe Gambill and Collin Boehm, two 6-5, 250 lb. kids who will give the Trojans a much needed post presence. Gambill is a junior, while Boehm is a sophomore and a football standout.

Return to “Boys Basketball”