Portsmouth Trojans (21-5) (10-2) 2010-2011

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Re: Portsmouth Trojans 2010-2011

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Josh Meyers??

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth is coming off its first winning season in 8 years, and Coach Collins has 3 starters returning in addition to Andrew Bendolph returning to PHS for his senior season.........with the other returnees the Trojans will most likely field even a stronger team than last year's edition.

My projected starting 5 for the 2010-2011 season:

1. Tre Underwood* 6-5 senior 11 PPG last season......high 19
2. Dion McKinley* 6-5 junior 12 PPG last season......high 24.......11 RPG
3. Wayne Evans* 6-2 junior 11 PPG last season......high 23
4. Andrew Bendolph 5-11 senior
5. Seth Bratchett 6-0 junior

* Denotes returning starters

Tobias has already listed what most likely will be the remainder of the roster.......I do think that Lenny Collins, Casey Sanders, Mason Jordan, Adam Bray, and LJ Adams will figure to see a lot of playing time with Collins and Adams subbing at the guard slots while Jordan, Sanders, and Bray will come in for Underwood and McKinley.

I look for Andrew Bendolph to have a monster year, and with Evans and Bratchett alongside in the backcourt, I look for our guard play to be outstanding.......and then we have two quality bigs in Underwood and McKinley to pull down 20-25 rebounds a game and probably average close to 30 points combined.

The non-conference schedule has a challenging trip to Orlando, Florida to play 3 games against what should be some very good teams........I have been to events like these and they don't invite cupcakes to them........the Trojans will have to bring their best game to compete........haven't seen the official dates for this but I believe it most likely will be between Christmas and New Year's.

With Ironton out of the SEOAL, Portsmouth's main challengers for the league title should be Chillicothe and Warren........the Trojans have an excellent shot at winning the league in 2010-2011.

Basically the ingredients are all there for Portsmouth to have a very good 2010-2011 season........the main thing I hope for is that the Trojans defend the perimeter better and make opposing guards beat us off the dribble, which should be difficult to do with Bendolph, Evans, and Bratchett guarding out front. IF YOU CAN DEFEND OPPOSING TEAMS' GUARDS, IT IS VERY DIFFICULT TO RUN AN OFFENSE!!

Portsmouth beat the 2 teams.......Chesapeake and Ironton.......that played for the regional championship, and there's every reason to believe that we will be even better this coming season........one thing missing for the Trojans is that we haven't been able to make any kind of a tournament run despite the talent we have had........just maybe this will be the year that PHS can put it all together. There is no question that the Trojans have the talent to make the STATE tournament.

Portsmouth has some summer shootouts planned, one of which will be in Athens and another one in which the Trojans will be hosting.......when I find out the dates I will post them.

GO TROJANS!!!

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

Has anyone seen Prince Trojan on here? I used to talk to him quite a bit on the other Forum (name not to be spoken of), but I haven't seen him on here.

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

Looking for good things from this squad, Ill be honest here, Id rather see a nice run in the tourney than have Us finish 18-2, Id take 13 wins with a deep run,any day over 18 wins and and a one and done...my point.........Coach Collins has proven he can turn the program around,,,,,now lets see some tourney results! Good luck Geno and GO TROJANS

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Let'sGoPSU: I agree about making a great tournament run over posting a great regular season........and I do feel that it could be coming in 2010-2011.......like you said, Coach Collins has turned the program around........now we just need to get some tournament hardware.......if we play to the talent level that we will have next season, there's every reason to believe that our kids can take it to the state........

We haven't won a sectional since 2004, haven't won a district since 2001, haven't won a regional since 1990, and our last state title was in 1988.........it would be great to update all 4 of these marks next season!!

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

Just hope the kids are as hungry as you and I Dave,Drove by Bannon Park on Sat when I was in town and could not believe the crowd, it was very nice to see. Also Saw that they have installed some courts at Mound Park, It wasnt quite as busy up on the hill, but the courts were being used.Looking forward to the season to come

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Tobias: Thanks for making that suggestion, because those courts have been very popular since they put them in.......and it was a good move to make both of them full court........I have seen a lot of Trojans at both Mound and Bannon Park. Basketball activity outdoors has definitely picked up within the past year.

Let'sGoPSU: The kids coming back are hungry, no doubt......they got a taste of winning last year, knowing that they beat both Ironton and Chesapeake who played in the regional finals.....they also felt the bitter disappointment of losing to Valley.......the kids coming back believe that next year could be very special at PHS.
Last edited by trojandave on Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Just for records sake:

Last sectional title: 2004 defeated Albany Alexander 59-57 in D3 sectional at Rio Grande
Last district title: 2001 defeated Warren 65-54 in D2 district at Athens
Last regional title: 1990 defeated Steubenville 72-64 in D2 regional at Athens
Last state title: 1988 defeated Chesterland West Geauga 54-47 at St.John Arena for the very first D2 state title in OHSAA history (OHSAA expanded to 4 divisions that year) Portsmouth also defeated 1988 D1 state runnerup Columbus Linden McKinley 88-66 in regular season

Last sectional final: 2010 lost to Valley 63-62 in D3 sectional at Jackson
Last district final: 2002 lost to Eastern Brown 66-48 in D3 district at Athens
Last regional final: 1991 lost to Columbus Briggs 70-69 in D2 regional at Athens
Last state semifinal: 1990 beat Van Wert 67-58 in D2 state at St.John Arena

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Had a good chat with Coach Collins yesterday, and we talked about the upcoming summer schedule and next year's team........although the final details haven't been worked out yet, Coach is going to have a summer league held at PHS starting in June and running for about 4 weeks.......right now about 7-8 teams are signed up.......there is a good chance that Portsmouth will be playing in the Ohio University Camp in late June.......they went there last year and it was a fun event with all day basketball.......the Florida trip will consist of 3 games, which will be played on a Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday......opponents and times of the games have yet to be determined, but the Trojans will play at Disneyworld in Orlando.

The 2010-2011 season will see Portsmouth play only 7 home games, with 13 on the road.......with the league schedule, the Florida trip, and the other non-conference games, this will make for fewer home games.........Ironton will be on the schedule only once next year.......and Chesapeake right now is not on the schedule........South Webster, Northwest, and South Point remain on the slate. I assume Wheelersburg is still on the schedule, though I didn't ask him about it.

When I find out the details of the summer schedule, I will post it.

Coach Collins is very encouraged by what he has coming back for next year and feels like he will have a solid basketball team in 2010-2011 that will have a lot of experience returning.

I have personally seen a good number of Trojans out playing at Mound or Bannon Park......I know that Andrew Bendolph and Wayne Evans are currently playing AAU basketball. These two kids are going to make a dynamic backcourt for next year's Trojans.......as good as any backcourt in the SE District and right up there with any in D3 Ohio........and then think about Tre Underwood and Dion McKinley up front........can't help but smile about these Trojans!!

prepstar18
Waterboy

Post by prepstar18 »

trip to disneyworld should get the kids excited about playing ball and the desire to get better

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

prepster18: You are absolutely right and the kids are excited about the Florida trip.......I think having 13 games away from home can actually help the Trojans come tournament time, but of course having 10 home games puts more dollars in the bank.........but I love the initiative of Coach Collins to make this trip to Florida.......it is thinking outside the box and I like that.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

This past year saw a very deep D3 field going into the tournament........in 2010-2011, I think for the first time in quite a while that D3 will be somewhat down.......given that there will be 3 sectionals again next year, the Jackson sectional should clearly be the best of the three again.......it produced the two teams playing for the regional title, and next season should do the same........right now, I have Portsmouth, Ironton, and Chesapeake as the clear D3 SE District frontrunners for the regional title.........I don't see anybody in the other two sectionals of that caliber, although Peebles and Piketon will have good teams.......it's still a long way to next year's tourney, though, and some teams will surprise and rosters will change.

If the regional includes an East District team, which it usually does, Sugarcreek Garaway stands a good chance of making a repeat appearance, with 6-8 senior Paul Honingford back........the Pirates lost to Chesapeake 52-51 in the regional semifinal. It also will be interesting to see if the SE District will have 3 teams in the regional or whether the OHSAA will send a Central District team to Athens.......2 years ago, Bishop Ready lost to Sugarcreek Garaway in the regional final.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Wayne Evans and Dion McKinley are playing AAU on the same team.......also, I have seen Wayne working day after day on his game at Bannon Park by himself.......he has a great work ethic.......that is why that next year I believe he will take his game up a couple of notches....... as a sophomore, he averaged 11 PPG with about 5 APG this past year, and had several games of near triple doubles (rebounds included).........teaming with Andrew Bendolph should give Wayne a lot of open looks from the perimeter, and his desire to play hard D along with Bendolph's on-ball D will give the Trojans a tough tandem to run an offense against.

Wayne's hard work in the off season will reward him someday with the opportunity to play college basketball.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Open gym is scheduled to start tomorrow at 6:30........I don't have to work so I'll be there to check it out.

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

trojandave wrote:Open gym is scheduled to start tomorrow at 6:30........I don't have to work so I'll be there to check it out.

Do not forget your sneakers!! :12223

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

wipala: I've got the stamina to keep up with those kids.......I still run 5-6 miles a day......but my skills are not quite on their level........and I'm about two steps too slow....... :-D.........actually, for my age, I still do pretty well in hoops.

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

trojandave wrote:wipala: I've got the stamina to keep up with those kids.......I still run 5-6 miles a day......but my skills are not quite on their level........and I'm about two steps too slow....... :-D.........actually, for my age, I still do pretty well in hoops.

I know the feeling except I am about 10 steps too slow now,,get into your 60's and these teens just are too darn fast!!! :12223 Ah, but I do have memories of days gone by....keep up the great job of posting about my beloved Trojans....

claypantherfan
All State

Post by claypantherfan »

I think this team should be one of the best teams in southern ohio next year with all they have coming back

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Open gym started last night.......and about 20 kids showed up, including projected starters Wayne Evans, Andrew Bendolph, Dion McKinley, and Seth Bratchett.......sophomores LJ Adams, Mason Jordan, and Duke Edwards were also there, and they will make the varsity roster........several freshmen also played, including Austin Peano, Josh Clark, and Jacob Cook.......several kids from other schools, including a couple from Minford came.......Cody Stapleton and Alex Grashel from last year's 8th grade team were there.

Coach Collins said that he will have a summer shootout that will be the first Saturday of June.......on that day it will be an all day affair, and each team participating will play 4 games.......then there will be a summer league that will play on Mondays with each team playing at least 2 games each night. Right now there are about 8-10 teams signed up to play, and there is a possibility of Ashland, Greenup County, and Mason County participating.

Also got confirmation that Portsmouth will be playing Wheelersburg next season which will fill their non-conference schedule along with South Point, Northwest, South Webster, Ironton, and the 3 games in Florida.......8 non-conference contests to go with 12 SEOAL games.

Moses Guthrie
Varsity

Post by Moses Guthrie »

I have enjoyed the series w Chesapeake. They always bring a strong game. Would like to see them back on the schedule eventually...

Return to “Boys Basketball”