Ironton at Portsmouth 2/09

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Ironton at Portsmouth 2/09

Post by trojandave »

The Fighting Tigers come into Portsmouth sporting a perfect mark in the SEOAL.......and also a hard earned 60-54 win over the Trojans earlier at IHS.

Ironton is attempting to do something that not even the 2008 state champion Chillicothe Cavaliers did.......that is, to go through the league undefeated.

Portsmouth can stay above .500 with a win, and also put a strong win on their resume as the tournament draw comes Sunday. The Trojans' 4 SEOAL losses have been by a total of 16 points.

These two teams could be playing just a couple of weeks later in the sectional final.

GO TROJANS!!!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Ironton at Portsmouth 2/09

Post by Ironman92 »

NO way possible that Ironton is the #4 seed.

They are #1 or #2 at worst...even with a loss @ Portsmouth

No way will Portsmouth be a #7 or #8...unless they lose 2 games this week.

Oak Hill and Ironton are going to vote Portsmouth high...I imagine Peake will do the same after beating South Point

I guess it could happen with 2 Trojan losses...and that would be a complete crock....2 of the 3 best teams playing in the sectional final and then 3 lesser teams getting easy rides to the districts from the Athens sectional.

I really wish the district would just seed them all together and play it out....that would be WAY more fair.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Ironman92: Your argument makes a lot of sense.......but you've been around long enough to know the weird things that happen at sectional seedings.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Tobias is right about coming out with intensity, physicality, and emotion......in fact, I think in the first game the Trojans were a little too jacked up.......and it resulted in a 19-4 Ironton lead after the first quarter........a quarter that saw PHS commit numerous turnovers, shoot air balls, and not box out on the boards......

After that, Portsmouth settled down and made a great comeback, closing the lead to 54-53 with just over a minute left.......but we just couldn't close the deal, which has happened 3 times in the last 2 weeks.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I know exactly what happens.....NO ONE is the Jackson sectional wants to face Portsmouth. It's going to be shady but there are so many good teams involved that it's going to be hard for coaches to bond together to help themselves out....it was far easier last year at Waverly.

I would like to see the top 4 list of who they don't want to face in the Jackson sectional.....I guarantee Portsmouth would be on every list of the team's in the Jackson sectional....I would bet top 3 on almost all and top 2 on nearly 1/2. That doesn't sound like a #6-#8 seed to me. Coaches/Teams would vote Ironton in the #1 or 2 spot everytime...but I bet there are a few of those teams that wouldn't mind taking on the Oaks....and I bet Portsmouth and Peake are two of them.

Valley is the talented sleeper for sure in this group and if Coal Grove gets anything in the top 6.....you know it was fishy.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth has 4 players averaging in double figures.......Tory Horne at 25.0 PPG, Forrest Johnson at 16 PPG, while Wayne Evans and Tre Underwood are both right around 12 PPG.......Dion McKinley is putting up an 8.8 AVG and has had a couple of games with double digit rebounds.........Wayne Evans is coming off the Chillcothe game where he almost got a triple double.......he scored 8 points, had 9 rebounds, and 9 assists.......Tory Horne had a spectacular 34 points.

ItownHosscat
S

Post by ItownHosscat »

...and 85inside....WHI...

Uncalled for....I will not be a part of that,I will say...Ribber! :lol:

ItownHosscat
S

Post by ItownHosscat »

Also could you wear that same shirt as the last time?

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

more snow coming on tuesday.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

Im going to call the upset, Ports. by 5.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

It wont be a upset The Trojans should win and will. ITS JUST IRONTON!!!!!

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

Tobias wrote:They won't cancel this game...

...too much money to be made at the Ribber from 4-7PM on Tuesday...

:mrgreen:

I plan on donating a few bucks for a medium rib dinner, german slaw and ribber fries along with several cold beverages..........sure hope the weather cooperates so I dont have to stay all nite with Doggie or Oz......... :) :)

ItownHosscat
S

Post by ItownHosscat »

I think our "gang" will also help with Portsmouth's economy.Actually if the Ribber ever closed they might as well shove the town in the river. ;-) :lol:

ItownHosscat
S

Post by ItownHosscat »

OZZIEOHIO wrote:It wont be a upset The Trojans should win and will. ITS JUST IRONTON!!!!!

When the 4th or 5th team beats the #1 team its an upset.We are fully aware that it will be 8 vs.5 at your place it always is. :roll:

ItownHosscat
S

Post by ItownHosscat »

I believe that like I believe we get a fair game called,Only thing thats a fact is that at least we get a good meal. :lol:

ItownHosscat
S

Post by ItownHosscat »

Tobias wrote:
ItownHosscat wrote:
OZZIEOHIO wrote:It wont be a upset The Trojans should win and will. ITS JUST IRONTON!!!!!

When the 4th or 5th team beats the #1 team its an upset.We are fully aware that it will be 8 vs.5 at your place it always is. :roll:

Has Coach LaFon reduced the number of players to only 5?

Are the others afraid to play for him, now?

Is the pressure to have an undefeated SEOAL season too much for the Fighting Tigers?

:?:

Nahh,these guys will play their hearts out,Lafon will coach his hindend off.The guys with the black stipes and the Portsmouth classrings will determine the outcome..... :mrgreen:

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

will both teams be a full strength everyone playing and healthy?

if so it should be a great game

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

ItownHosscat wrote:I believe that like I believe we get a fair game called,Only thing thats a fact is that at least we get a good meal. :lol:

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Forecast calls for snow showers Monday night, with a possible inch or so of accumulation.......the precip is supposed to turn to rain Tuesday afternoon with a high of 37........if they wait long enough, this game can be played.......the streets/highways should be clear by Tuesday afternoon.

That forecast is from the Weather Channel this morning........

dimedrop4
All State

Post by dimedrop4 »

Should be another great matchup between these two teams!!!!

Return to “Boys Basketball”