Best Sports Announcer in Southeast Ohio

TigerLily
Waterboy

Best Sports Announcer in Southeast Ohio

Post by TigerLily »

For those of us who have to listen to the game on the radio, who does the best job announcing and you actually want to be there watching the game?
I listened to Alexander and Vinton County on 105 I believe and that guy did a great job. No bs talk while the game was being played and you actually
got a feel for what was going on the whole time....kudo's to him whoever he is. I hate listening to a game and they never tell the score, especially if the
home team is losing, and they constantly talk about everything but the game. Any thoughts?

caglewis
SEOP

Re: Best Sports Announcer in Southeast Ohio

Post by caglewis »

Ironton is so fortunate to have Jason Philyaw. His usual partner is Kevin Anthonee, but Jeff Linn has been filling in for Kevin recently [I don't know why and they're equally good]. These guys always say the time [and down and field position in football] and score, keep the "editorializing" to a minumum, and never trash the refs or the coaches. They also learn the names and proper pronunciation of all the players on the opposing team and say them correctly. Ironton is also fortunate to have sponsors who don't demand to be mentioned by the announcers every 30 seconds during the game [e.g. "that play was brought to you by the so-and-so company who have been serving you for 50 years at the same location on X St"] meanwhile there have been 2 more plays happen while they were saying all that!

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Mike Wilson 107.7 WSEO

frank-n-beans
Varsity

Post by frank-n-beans »

caglewis wrote:Ironton is also fortunate to have sponsors who don't demand to be mentioned by the announcers every 30 seconds during the game [e.g. "that play was brought to you by the so-and-so company who have been serving you for 50 years at the same location on X St"] meanwhile there have been 2 more plays happen while they were saying all that!

That sounds like Roger "some more of our sponsors" Gray on 99.3 FM. Although the sponsors don't demand it, Rog can't seem to let 3 seconds of dead air go by without mentioning them. I've listened to him while watching a game and you would be amazed at how much he misses while reading his list over and over again. Give me Snuffy Smith ANYDAY!! He is a true legend in Southern Ohio.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

frank-n-beans wrote:
caglewis wrote:Ironton is also fortunate to have sponsors who don't demand to be mentioned by the announcers every 30 seconds during the game [e.g. "that play was brought to you by the so-and-so company who have been serving you for 50 years at the same location on X St"] meanwhile there have been 2 more plays happen while they were saying all that!

That sounds like Roger "some more of our sponsors" Gray on 99.3 FM. Although the sponsors don't demand it, Rog can't seem to let 3 seconds of dead air go by without mentioning them. I've listened to him while watching a game and you would be amazed at how much he misses while reading his list over and over again. Give me Snuffy Smith ANYDAY!! He is a true legend in Southern Ohio.

Roger is especially bad about that toward the end of a game if it's a blowout. I've listened to some games he's done and if the game is decided early in the 4th he spends most of his time talking about something else and very rarely even gives the score.

I think the guy that does the Greenup County games on 107.5 The Breeze does a good job.

kahn
Freshman Team

Post by kahn »

I have a lot of respect for folks that can do radio and do it well. I think Chuck Greenslate has been great for WNXT.

iwearblacknikes
S

Post by iwearblacknikes »

Buzz Fisher- Oak Hill

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Mike Smith
WKKJ
Chillicothe

frank-n-beans
Varsity

Post by frank-n-beans »

Greenslate does a good job calling the game. Another good one is Dale Hamilton. He's been around for years.

On the sidelines
Riding the Bench

Post by On the sidelines »

The voice of the Ironmen Dan Dobbins and Dan Morrow have been calling football and basketball games for 30 years. Last year they were inducted into the Radio Broadcasters Hall Of Fame at a halftime ceremony at the Convo. I think that they are pretty good. However, I am partial to them.

thebull
Varsity

Post by thebull »

Chuck Gill on C103 FM covers SHL. The best in our area.

Tiger Man
Varsity

Post by Tiger Man »

Jason Philyaw is very good. Detailed and and informative. Jason rarely gets excited on the air. GREAT JOB JASON & THANK YOU!

I like to listen to "Smitty" (Scioto Co.) They run him all over the sidelines :-D

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Dale Hamilton and the younger guy that does games with him. They do a good job and are a hoot in the booth. When I filmed for Webster and they came to town, it was always a good time in the press box.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Tiger Man wrote:Jason Philyaw is very good. Detailed and and informative. Jason rarely gets excited on the air. GREAT JOB JASON & THANK YOU!

I like to listen to "Smitty" (Scioto Co.) They run him all over the sidelines :-D

Smitty is 103 ywars old and still running with the kids on the field :lol:

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

all of the guys on c103(SHL) do a very good job.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

The only drawback I have with Snuffy Smith is he can make a 2 yard gain sound like a 99 yard TD run. You think the runner is going to the house and he barely gets 2 yards. lol I do like the mans enthusiasm for the game though.

g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

Rollie Swart is one of my favorites. I also think Caleb Troop is doing a nice job...

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote:The only drawback I have with Snuffy Smith is he can make a 2 yard gain sound like a 99 yard TD run. You think the runner is going to the house and he barely gets 2 yards. lol I do like the mans enthusiasm for the game though.

You've got to admire any radio announcer with the nickname of "Snuffy Smith". He's got to be good!

Burg - Good post, as always, my friend!

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Thanks Steely Dan.

I guess ole Snuff was a heck of a coach back in the day as well. He's been involved in southern Ohio sports for as long as I can remember.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Burg - Kind of what I figured. Those with a passion for HS sports let it come through with their announcing. I'm sure that there are tons of people out there who appreciate "Snuffy" and what he brings to the HS sports arena.

We really need more folks like that, in my humble opinion............. ;-)

Return to “Boys Basketball”