Southeast District Best Conferences?

LoganElm_grad09
Varsity

Southeast District Best Conferences?

Post by LoganElm_grad09 »

What are the best conferences in the SED? I was thinking about this the other day because the SVC had 3 teams in the district championships last season, South Webster, Chillicothe and Oak Hill's state titles, Logan Elm and Piketon's Final Four runs last year, etc. Things to consider:

District Tournament History
Strength of Conference
Strength of Schedule
Best Team (multiple seasons)
Best Team (one season)

Some conferences would be docked points for not being completely Southeast District. For example, Logan Elm from the MSL-Buckeye has had some good runs in recent years, but they have 5 teams in the Central District. Greenfield McClain had some good runs, but the SCOL has a couple teams not in the SED.

If you'd like, you can go with just one conference or you can split conferences by divisions.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: Southeast District Best Conferences?

Post by trojandave »

I don't have the official stats in front of me, but I believe that the Southern Hills League has put the most teams in the state tournament over the past 20 years. Within that time, Lynchburg Clay, North Adams, Whiteoak, and Eastern Brown have all made the Final Four.......but none won a state championship.

The Southern Ohio Conference has had Wheelersburg, Oak Hill, and South Webster all make state in the past 20 years, with OH and SW winning D4 state titles. Clay went to the state in 1969, losing in the semifinals to eventual champion Arcanum. New Boston made state in 1960 (I think the year is right). Waverly made it to the Final 4 in 1970, but I'm not sure if they were a member of the SOC or SEOAL at the time.

The Scioto Valley Conference had Piketon represent the league at the state last year.....and also had Unioto advance to the state in 1991, while Southeastern Ross went to state in 1990 in addition to 4 other previous appearances. Zane Trace went to the Final 4 in 1970.

The Tri-Valley Conference saw Belpre make 3 state tournament appearances in the 90's......while Eastern Meigs (Reedsville) also has made the Final 4 in the past decade. Racine Southern went to the state twice, the last time being in 1982.

The SEOAL produced the D2 state champion Chillicothe in 2008.......the Cavaliers are the only state champion that the league has ever produced........if you discount Portsmouth's (basketball) and Ironton's (football) state titles before they joined the league. Marietta made a number of state appearances before 1950, but they were not a member of the SEOAL at the time.

The OVC has not had any teams make state in the past 20 years, but Fairland did go in 1961.......but I'm not sure if the OVC existed back then.

The SCOL saw Miami Trace go the Final 4 in 1978, with Art Schlichter (Buckeye QB), but since then no school from that league has made the state.

The Mid-State League saw Logan Elm make state in 2009, losing to Thurgood Marshall in the semifinals.......Canal Winchester made the state in D3 (can't remember the exact year but it was in the past decade).
Last edited by trojandave on Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

As far as the best team over the last 20 years, I would have to go with the Chillicothe Cavaliers of 2008.......they would beat, in my opinion, any other team from any of the other conferences listed. They did, however, get a major scare in the district final that year.......beating Logan Elm only 49-48......which proves that rarely does a team make it to the state without at least one very close game. Piketon beat North Adams last year in the regional semifinal 74-72, and then beat Grandview Heights in OT in the regional final.

As far as number of district titles per conference, I don't have the numbers in front of me.........so I don't know which conference has the most titles.......I do know that in the past 20 years, Wheelersburg, Chesapeake, Greenfield McClain, and Portsmouth have all won at least 6 district titles during that time.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

My top 3 most consistent winning programs over the last 20 years are Wheelersburg, Greenfield McClain, and Chesapeake.......in fact, McClain has had only 1 losing season in the past 27 years.......the best mark in all of the SE District.......

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

The Southern Ohio Conference would be hard to beat as far as number of teams winning district titles......Wheelersburg, Minford, Valley, South Webster, Oak Hill, Waverly, Green, New Boston, Clay, East, Western Pike, and Eastern Pike have all won district titles at some point in their history.

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

T-Dave..My senior year in high school (1952) Coack Lowell Cole's Nelsonville Greyhounds (now Nelsonville-York) made it to the state finals in Class B play. Believe they got beat in finals by Lockland Wayne out of Cincinnati.

PS--Waverly joined the SEOAL after that great 1969-70 campaign, then won 44 straight SEOAL games before losing to GAHS at Waverly duing the 1973-74 campaign, protecting the Blue Devils current record 49 straight SEOAL wins under Richard (Dick) Shrider from 1953-1957.

During those great years under Shrider, GAHS could not get by Portsmouth, Greenfield and Athens in the Class A district tournament.

Matt52
JV Team

Post by Matt52 »

the o.v.c has been a confrence since 1952

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Whiteoak has 3 district titles (including a regional championship and a regional runner up) in the past 10 seasons, had a run of 10 straight trips to the districts as well. North Adams has the longest current streak of going to the district tournament and I believe they have made the districts every year but 3 times since 1992...including a state semi final screwing after the buzzer with an undefeated team, and 3 other trips to the regionals I believe since. Lynchburg Clay and Eastern Brown each have made the state tourney.....Peebles may have an outside chance this year and maybe again next year.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

4ever......North Adams would win that one. They were 25-0 and the ball that beat them was roughly 1/2 second after the buzzer (North Adams locals will call it a full second on occasion)...should've been 26-0 heading to the finals........I forget if the team they should've beaten won it all or lost.

Copas is now coaching the JV at North Adams and was all-american at Rio Grande....helping them to the NAIA tourney his sr year I believe.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Logan Elm,2009, Canal Winchester, 2000, and Bloom-Carroll, 1994, have all been to the Final Four from the MSL-Buckeye. Bloom-Carroll has a nice stack of district titles and Canal has also won some district titles. Logan Elm has played for four district titles since 2005 - 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009 - and won two of them. Logan Elm has four district titles - two won as a member of the Scioto Valley Conference - in school history.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

SOC. Specifically SOC II.

Daniel Larusso
Varsity

Post by Daniel Larusso »

The SOC 2 has been the best conference for basketball recently. You can not deny Wheelersburg's success at the state level, and South Webster and Oak Hill's state titles. However, I do think some of the larger conferences such as the SEOAL, TVC Ohio, MSL, MVL and SCOL have it a little harder when they make it to the district or regional as far as competition goes. They tend to get matched up against the Columbus and Cincinnati city league and private schools. Although Chillicothe did knock off a Toledo city league school in the state title game a couple of seasons ago.

jchitwood
All State

Post by jchitwood »

Miami East, the team that beat NA on paper only, went on to win the final. They were the only unranked team in the final four, and they won it all.

I'm working on a documentary about that team, so I've seen that shot many, many times. It was an embarrassingly poor call.

Peebles won 60 straight regular season games in the early 80s, but lost two very close district finals to epike.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

jchitwood wrote:Miami East, the team that beat NA on paper only, went on to win the final. They were the only unranked team in the final four, and they won it all.

I'm working on a documentary about that team, so I've seen that shot many, many times. It was an embarrassingly poor call.

Peebles won 60 straight regular season games in the early 80s, but lost two very close district finals to epike.

The SHL is never given the praise it rightfully deserves. If NA or Peebles had about ten more points to spread between them they could have been looking at potentially 3 more state appearances out of the conference.

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

Not counting league affiliations. How many State Titles have been brought home to Scioto County? And how does this add up with the rest of Southeastern Ohio?

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Scioto County State Championships:

Portsmouth: 1931, 1961, 1978, 1988
South Webster: 2006

The rest of the SE District has a total of 6 state titles.......Hillsboro Marshall in 1928, Waterloo in 1933 and 34, New Lexington St.Aloysius in 1954, Chillicothe in 2008, and Oak Hill in 2009.

I believe that St.Aloysius was a member of the SE district at that time.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

State Appearances from Scioto County schools:

Portsmouth 13
Wheelersburg 6
South Webster 2
New Boston 1
Clay 1

22 state appearances from 5 different schools, with 5 state titles.

luvit
Freshman Team

Post by luvit »

could you tell me what yrs. in the early 80's peebles won 60 straight regular season games? thanks.

earp
S

Post by earp »

Heres a trailer for the documentary!

http://wearetheindians.org/

luvit
Freshman Team

Post by luvit »

[quote="earp"]Heres a trailer for the documentary!

i have watched the documentary, it is pretty good! but i must have missed hearing the yrs of the 60 regular season wins. :122248

Return to “Boys Basketball”