Athens @ Vinton County 12/22

Space Cowboy
SEO

Athens @ Vinton County 12/22

Post by Space Cowboy »

This should be one of the best games of the week. Athens is comming off of a win at Alexander and the Vikings off of a solid win at Belpre. This is a matchup that fans of both teams have talked trash about for a year. Will this be one of the key games to domination of the TVC-Ohio, or will someone lay an egg? This game was originally scheduled on 12/11.
Last season, both games were very close, with VC pulling the win out both times. Athens is improved. The Vikes are starting to fire on all cylinders. Could this be the barnburner that Athens is hoping for? The Bulldogs would love nothing more than to get some revenge in Valhalla and stop the VC streak of TVC wins and home wins.

I think the VC boyz realize what is at stake and will be fired up.
VC by 11+

BLUEGRASSVIKE
Varsity

Re: Athens @ Vinton County 12/22

Post by BLUEGRASSVIKE »

Cant wait for this one!! VC would have to have the edge in this onw IMO due to it being at home. VC played a great game last night and I look for that trend to continue. The entire team was involved. They were getting contributions from everyone. I think depth will be Athens undoing in this game, and I look for the Vikes to pull away in the 2nd half.
VC 64
Athens 51

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

I agree, Bluegrassvike. Athens has been playing with more structure and determination. I would say that the depth of the Vikes bench will start playing a major roll, late in the 3rd or starting early 4th. At the same time, the Vikes need to get more focus, not just rely on depth. This will be a full team contribution on both teams parts.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

Dogs by 10

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... will they be playing 3 games Tuesday night - freshmen/JV/ Varsity or just the JV/Varsity ???

pbuck
All State

Post by pbuck »

VC in a close game IMO

VIKED_MAN
Varsity

Post by VIKED_MAN »

[quote="pfloyd"]... will they be playing 3 games Tuesday night - freshmen/JV/ Varsity or just the JV/Varsity ???

According to the schedule, this will be a triple header.
GO VIKES

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

pfloyd wrote:... will they be playing 3 games Tuesday night - freshmen/JV/ Varsity or just the JV/Varsity ???

pfloyd, will you be comming down to watch the game?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... planning on it Space Cowboy ... my Purple boyz are playing on the river vs Gallia Academy - thought I'd stay closer to home Tuesday night and catch some TVC action ... always like seeing Coach Combs' boyz in action and with Coach Skinner getting the dawgs off to a good start - this one should be interesting imo ...

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

Athens coming off an emotional win at Alexander could be good or bad. AT Alex and VC back to back? That isnt easy, but life on the road is never easy anyplace you play. I am sure that Athens probably would be happy gaining a split on these two road games if you asked them last week, now I bet they are really excited about the possibility of getting a sweep on these two games. This one is going to be tough on the Bulldogs. Both clubs have lots of experience, Vikings have more experience winning and more depth. Hopefully the Dogs bring that edge with them that they had at Alexander.

younger bro
Waterboy

Post by younger bro »

I gotta take the vikings when there playing at home.... vinton county coming off a crapy game at home against always unpredictable trimble, the vikings are gonna want to show that they mean buisnees when playing at home... i see it being kinda close though

VC 63
Athens 55

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

younger bro wrote:I gotta take the vikings when there playing at home.... vinton county coming off a crapy game at home against always unpredictable trimble, the vikings are gonna want to show that they mean buisnees when playing at home... i see it being kinda close though

VC 63
Athens 55

That right there, in a nutshell, is the main reason Im going with the Vikes. I could be wrong on this stat, but I do not believe there is a player on the VC squad that can remember a home loss. They had 3-4 close calls last year and I can garantee they had their hair blown back after each one. They well understand what this game means. And I also garantee that after that sloppy win against Trimble, Combs will light a fire in these boyz. Yea, they have more experience at winning and they have the deeper bench, but Combs is smart enough to realize that his squad cant rely on those things alone.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

VC lost to Waverly at home last year by 5 points i believe. It was their only home loss last season...i really dont know when the Vikes last lost at home before that one...maybe to Huntington in 06-07? Im sure Hawkeye can fill us in! Home losses are rare in VC though...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

VC somehow lost to Leesburg Fairfield about 4 years ago at VC.......D4 Fairfield wasn't even good that year......biggest upset I can remember.

VC 66
Athens 55

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Vinton County comes into this game pretty much in the same spot as last game..Athens, much like Belpre, is a top half TVC-Ohio team that you cant sleep on..The Vikings played very well at Belpre and came out on top with a bigtime win. Basically before the season started...you have VC, Alex, Athens, and Belpre that most thoght were contenders. So far the only surprise team is NY...i dont however see NY competing for the title...maybe a top 3 finish...but not any higher than that..So looking at things now.. VC has gone to Belpre and won..Alex has dug a hole i dont think they can climb out of (2 TVC losses)..So by the way things look now...if VC can get the win over Athens...barring an upset the rest of the way, i dont see VC losing a TVC game. Now i know they have 11 to go...but just going off what has happened so far this season..i dont think Alex is the 'normal' Alex...VC has already shown they are better than Belpre..Wellston, and Meigs wont be able to hang with VC when they matchup either...so basically you have the 'unknown' Buckeyes...who have givin VC fits in the past..and the Bulldogs who played VC tough last year. IF VC can hang an easy W on the Bulldogs...i just dont see VC getting beat the rest of the way.. call me crazy..and im sure some will...but i think VC has a great chance to beat their record of last year..IF they continue to play strong D and improve game to game..which they have been doing very well. If someone other than VC is going to win the TVC...they (including Athens) better hope the Bulldogs leave McArthur with a win Tuesday night. Vinton County comes in at 4-0, averaging 71.3 ppg and allowing 55 points against for a plus 16.3. Athens comes in at 4-1, averaging 65 ppg and allowing 55.5 points against for a plus 14.5. On paper these two teams are VERY close...but on the court...we shall see!!

Ill take the Vikings in a big statement game...kind of like the Belpre game. VC-78 Athens-64

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Ironman92 wrote:VC somehow lost to Leesburg Fairfield about 4 years ago at VC.......D4 Fairfield wasn't even good that year......biggest upset I can remember.

VC 66
Athens 55

You are correct 92...that put the finishing touches on a horrible start to the year losing 3 of their first 5 i believe...but then the Vikings rolled off 15 or 16 in a row to finish the year at 20-4.

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

Dundas wrote:VC lost to Waverly at home last year by 5 points i believe. It was their only home loss last season...i really dont know when the Vikes last lost at home before that one...maybe to Huntington in 06-07? Im sure Hawkeye can fill us in! Home losses are rare in VC though...

Dundas, you are correct. I didnt get to watch basketball that much last season, so I forgot about that one, but my point still stands- VC will defend their home court with a passion.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

I believe it was a makeup game and there wasnt many people there...so no atmosphere.

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

If Bulldogs play their game, I look for Athens to upend ths Vikings and take a giant step forward for the 2009-10 league title.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

I just cant honestly see a team get beat by 26 points to Jackson and then beat Vinton County in the same season. I think there are plenty who are underestimating the Vikings this year. Maybe the best 'team as a whole' they have ever had.

Return to “Boys Basketball”