1972-73 Alexander Spartans

Spartan
All Conference

1972-73 Alexander Spartans

Post by Spartan »

Just wondering if there are any old posters like myself that remember what could be considered the best team of all time at Alexander. Rick White, Brooks, Dishong, Brown and lots of others. This team lost 2 regular season games, a double overtime controversial loss at FH and a 2 point loss to Bishop Ready who was the eventual state champion.Perry County Native Doug Lattimer was the head coach. I believe it had only one non senior player and that was jr. Steve Thomas, a permanent fixture at the Ohio University scorer's table.

jottings
SEOPS H

Re: 1972-73 Alexander Spartans

Post by jottings »

I remember the White boy...AHS knoked off powerful Waverly in district semifinal play at Rio Grande, then got upset by Gallipolis in the district finals.

It was Gallipolis' seond district crown, and first since 1923.

Blue Devils, after leading by 10 in regiomal semifinals at Dayton, got eliminated by Dayton Jefferson.

I remember Alexander coach told Coach Jim Osborne that if the two teams played 10 times, Spartans would win nine of them.

Swampfox
Freshman Team

Post by Swampfox »

They average 84 points a game without the 3 point shot. Scored over 100 4 times.

Swampfox
Freshman Team

Post by Swampfox »

The 71-72 team wasnt too shabby average overr 88 points per game.
4 games over 100 and they lost one of them. 220 point in the game again no 3 point shot. hecka of defensive game. over 3 baskets per minute averaged

gotgame
Freshman Team

Post by gotgame »

The most exciting night I've EVER had being a FH Lancer fan was as a 7th grader helping count down the clock in McInturf Gym as the Lancers upset the MIGHTY Spartans in double OT back in December 1971

The Lancers had lost Chuck Robinson to graduation and Marietta College but that night Danny Hall, Jim Slush, Dave Russell all became bigtime heros to me as they did the impossible.

The Dog
Freshman Team

Post by The Dog »

Any of the teams mentioned here ever make it to state? Back in the day we almost won the whole dang thing. Any of em ever do that?

Charlie hustle
Freshman Team

Post by Charlie hustle »

The Dog wrote:Any of the teams mentioned here ever make it to state? Back in the day we almost won the whole dang thing. Any of em ever do that?

The Dog is not from Southern, my guess he is from some other school trying to make Southern look bad. This person gets on our site all the time and trys to stir stuff up. This person has been busted out several times with easy questions about the teams it claims to have played on. So don't think anybody from Southern would try to belittle what your team has done. Those are some great numbers you put up. Anybody who had actually been around the game of basketball would realize that.

The Dog
Freshman Team

Post by The Dog »

Charlie Hustle wrote:
The Dog wrote:Any of the teams mentioned here ever make it to state? Back in the day we almost won the whole dang thing. Any of em ever do that?

The Dog is not from Southern, my guess he is from some other school trying to make Southern look bad. This person gets on our site all the time and trys to stir stuff up. This person has been busted out several times with easy questions about the teams it claims to have played on. So don't think anybody from Southern would try to belittle what your team has done. Those are some great numbers you put up. Anybody who had actually been around the game of basketball would realize that.

You have the wrong person again there bud. I was never asked any questions. But when I asked a couple you clowns are the ones that couldn't answer them. I don't know what you are talking about being busted. Are you into drugs boy, or what? I am not trying to make anyone look bad. I just ask a question, and again some clown, this time you, gets on here and dodges the question and claims I aint from Racine. Lived here all my life bud. How bout you?

hardhitter ll
Varsity

Post by hardhitter ll »

I love it when those Southern people start fighting with each other on here. That's what makes them look really good. ;-) Especially when it is the young people bad mouthing the old players. Gives me some really good laughs. :lol:

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

hardhitter ll wrote:I love it when those Southern people start fighting with each other on here. That's what makes them look really good. ;-) Especially when it is the young people bad mouthing the old players. Gives me some really good laughs. :lol:

Yes, I especially love it when the current Southern players get on here and fight with the alumni players. :lol:

M0TIVAT0R
All Conference

Post by M0TIVAT0R »

Heavy D wrote:
hardhitter ll wrote:I love it when those Southern people start fighting with each other on here. That's what makes them look really good. ;-) Especially when it is the young people bad mouthing the old players. Gives me some really good laughs. :lol:

Yes, I especially love it when the current Southern players get on here and fight with the alumni players. :lol:

That was a hoot last year. :lol:

Charlie hustle
Freshman Team

Post by Charlie hustle »

I love when one person gets on here under four different names. The Dog, Motivator, Hard Hitter11, Heavy D and Wcat we know you are the same person. You were dumb enough on the other thread to post under the wrong name. Busted out again.

M0TIVAT0R
All Conference

Post by M0TIVAT0R »

Charlie Hustle wrote:I love when one person gets on here under four different names. The Dog, Motivator, Hard Hitter11, Heavy D and Wcat we know you are the same person. You were dumb enough on the other thread to post under the wrong name. Busted out again.

You got me. :mrgreen: I am working on name number 5 now. :lol: I almost forgot that you guys accuse all the people that make fun of you of being the same person. :lol: Really, I don't mind you saying I am HH, or Wcat, but please don't say I am The Dog. I would never ever even act like I am from Southern. No one should wish that on their worst enemy. Waaaaaaayyyy to funny. :lol:

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

Jottings wrote:I remember the White boy...AHS knoked off powerful Waverly in district semifinal play at Rio Grande, then got upset by Gallipolis in the district finals.

It was Gallipolis' seond district crown, and first since 1923.

Blue Devils, after leading by 10 in regiomal semifinals at Dayton, got eliminated by Dayton Jefferson.

I remember Alexander coach told Coach Jim Osborne that if the two teams played 10 times, Spartans would win nine of them.

Waverly was ranked 1st in the state in one of the polls. Had only lost one game that year to a Springfield North team. They won the SEOAL league that year and Gallipolis was the second place team led by Gil Price and Jim Noe. Alexander shot over 70% to beat Waverly. I never thought it was an upset that Gallipolis beat AA. I went to that game and if I remember it wasn't too close of a contest. That was back in the day that one had to stand outside the Rio Grande arena for over an hour to get a seat. Boy do we love the Convo.

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

Charlie Hustle wrote:I love when one person gets on here under four different names. The Dog, Motivator, Hard Hitter11, Heavy D and Wcat we know you are the same person. You were dumb enough on the other thread to post under the wrong name. Busted out again.

I am here by stating that I am not Dog, Motivator, or Hardhitter. :mrgreen:

Charlie hustle
Freshman Team

Post by Charlie hustle »

Heavy D wrote:

OK WCat :oops:

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

Charlie Hustle wrote:
Heavy D wrote:

OK WCat :oops:

You are swifter than I thought. :mrgreen:

Return to “Boys Basketball”