South Webster

truth_59
Waterboy

South Webster

Post by truth_59 »

South Websters coach resigned. Any thoughts or comments?

art_vandelay
SE

Re: South Webster

Post by art_vandelay »

Well, since it's out there now, might as well comment. I think it's best for everyone involved. Coach Reese seems like a good guy, but for whatever reason, was never a fit at Webster.

Before people jump on the administration for the hire, I think at the time of the hire, they thought they were getting someone who would be here for the long haul and would work the kids hard. He said he would be here for the long haul but was then openly shopping his name for a position at Cedarville University a year later? The short practices at the end of last year also rubbed alot of people wrong.

I remember right after he was hired, a poster on here (Watcher) said it was a mistake and that he'd be trying to jump ship as soon as something opened up around his hometown of Cedarville. Well, that poster nailed it.

Enough of that...as for Webster, I hope they go after a young coach with some prior varsity coaching experience that will put in the hours, even in the offseason. Also would like to see someone who they would expect to stick around for 8-10 years.

I would contact Bradford from East to see if he was interested. I know Jimmy Carr (Webster alum) applied and interviewed last time, and I assume will apply again. Todd Perdas is a Webster guy as well that I assume would apply. Heck, maybe Mark Kreischer will throw his name in the mix!! LOL. But I expect there to be some decent applicants as the pipeline isn't as dry as it was 2 years ago when the position came open. Like I said, give me a young guy with a phd (poor, hungry and driven).*

----
Freshman Team

Post by ---- »

Of course I am again going to "pimp out" Todd Perdas. Quality coach, Quality guy, just wanting to coach some basketball. I know he is considering leaving the area and I would hate to see such a fine prospective coach bounce. Maybe being his alma mater will help

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

Well, Kriesher is not coming back. He is an administrator at Oak Hill and I can't see him giving that up to coach. Also saw him reffing some games this year. Looks like he took on a new "profession." :lol:

I see Perdas fitting into this system. However, the situation will come down to what teaching positions are open.

Keagan
Riding the Bench

Post by Keagan »

What years did Pedas play varsity for webster?? I just can't place him here?? Just a question??

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

How about Brett Roberts? Just a thought...

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

Keagan wrote:What years did Pedas play varsity for webster?? I just can't place him here?? Just a question??

I don't think he played his senior year. Started but then quit. Someone may be able to help me out on that one.

beaverlover wrote:How about Brett Roberts? Just a thought...

He is currently the assistant principal and AD. In Webster, once you are an administrator then you cannot coach.

monk
Riding the Bench

Post by monk »

Just a couple of more names to throw out there.

1) Brenton Cole - SW alum who was an assistant under Kreisher.

2) Shane Rhea - Employed by the district. I thought he did a nice job with the JV this year and from what I've heard, the kids seem to like him.

And doesn't one of the Kaltenbach's coach? Chad maybe?

Ptown Playmaker
Varsity

Post by Ptown Playmaker »

"Once your an administrator, you can not coach"...........I've always heard that.....is that a rule for ALL schools or does it pertain to certain schools bylaws?

Ptown Playmaker
Varsity

Post by Ptown Playmaker »

I've seen Shane coach from Pee Wee up to JV.....very impressed, he can coach, he's good with the youth, and he's got great intensity!

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

Ptown Playmaker wrote:"Once your an administrator, you can not coach"...........I've always heard that.....is that a rule for ALL schools or does it pertain to certain schools bylaws?

It is a district by district decision. Some districts allow it. For example, the girls coach at Oak Hill is also a Superintendent. I think some districts feel the administrators have enough on their plate and should concentrate on those responsibilities so they will be done to the best of their abilities. I for one think if a small district administrator can handle it then allow them to coach.
Some of the best coaches are now administrators but cannot coach because their district does not allow it.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

monk: completely forgot about Rhea and did not know he was employed by the District. If that's the case, I would think he would be one of the front-runners for the position. I've heard nothing but good things about him and I think he'd bring some "fire" to the position. As for Brenton Cole, he also would be a solid pick in my mind...I was officially worried about Reese when I heard that Brenton left his staff due to differences in philosophy. Chad Kaltenbach was coaching a few years back at a D2 school around Dayton...not sure if that's still the case or not.

regulator: Was just kidding about Kreischer...sounds like he is in a pretty good situation at Oak Hill in administration, and will probably take over for Persin when he retires since Oak Hill doesn't mind if its administrators also coach. But if by some chance he was interested in coming back, I'm sure nobody would object!

keagan: If I recall correctly, Perdas played junior varsity ball at Webster, but not varsity. Regardless, he has a pretty solid knowledge of the game and has a decent resume with some jv coaching experience and small college assistant coaching experience. He'll eventually get a shot somewhere, just don't know if this will be the one or not.

I think the administration is going to take its time making sure the next coach will be someone who is ready to get after it and be here for a long time. Given the track record of the administration responsible for choosing the next coach (Rick Carrington, Bob Johnson, Brett Roberts, etc.), I know they'll get this one right regardless of how the last hire went.*

Watcher
Waterboy

Post by Watcher »

I'm surprised someone remembered my prediction. I know Chad Kaltenbach won't apply. He is finished coaching and now an assistant principal at a large school in Dayton, 2000 kids in the high school. As always I'll be watching the drama unfold.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Watcher: I only remembered because I disagreed with you at the time! But I'm not too proud to admit when I'm wrong, and I was definitely wrong on thinking Reese would be here for 5+ years.

Heard an interesting name being thrown around yesterday. If true, he'd fit the profile of a young coach that would come in and get after it based on my recollection of him from his playing days.*

Watcher
Waterboy

Post by Watcher »

I hope it's a good name? No offense to the guys mentioned so far, all good guys but none of them can get the jeeps over the hump.

Keagan
Riding the Bench

Post by Keagan »

I talked to a few poeple and no who perdas is now thanks. I disagree with none mentioned can get them "over the hump". More than a couple mentioned could get them out of the hole so to say. Over the hump would mean going back down, I would like to see a steady program like was in place over the past 10+ years.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Watcher: I'm not really basing my choice right now on someone who has a resume full of accomplishments or a superior knowledge of the game (although those things are definitely a plus). It's sad that it's come to this, but I think the people of Webster just want someone in there who will bust their hump for this program year-round (even though that should just go without saying) and expect the same from his players. I'm willing to live with some mistakes on the job due to inexperience if I know the guy is getting after it year-round and doing everything he can to make this program better. I can't say that has been the case the last 2 years.

I hope they get some applicants with experience to choose from, but I will definitely trust the administration if they go the route of a younger guy even if he has no prior head-coaching experience at the varsity level. To sum it all up, I want a guy in there who's willing take some time off from the golf course in the summers and a great deal of time away from his family during the season when needed. If that's too much to ask for, then don't apply.*

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

what about kurt mcgraw?

jeep80
Varsity

Post by jeep80 »

Bottom line. We need someone who will emphasize defense like Coach K. did.
I've maintained the problem with Scioto County basketball is; the only thing the coaches seemed interested in was outscoring the opponent.
You don't win that way on a state level.

Primetime
Waterboy

Post by Primetime »

Travis Bradford would be an ideal hire if he was willing to leave East, just dont know if he is interested or not. With SW being a D4 school, he would not have to change divisions.

Return to “Boys Basketball”