Riding the Bench

Alexander. How Deep?

Post by teddyb15 »

thoughts

jottings
SEOPS H

Re: Alexander. How Deep?

Post by jottings »

Gallipolis is scheduled to scimmage Alexander in a triple header Saturday. Are the Spartans favored to win the TVC this year? How many lettermen do they have back from last year? Thanks. PS--The scrimmage starts at 10 a.m., according to local sources.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Jottings - is the scrimmage at Gallia Academy or Alexander ?

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

At Alexander.

Haven't been there since we beat Alexander 20 points in the early 80s, then the Spartans upset Oz's SEOAL champions in the Athens sectional tournamet under the late Bill Whaley's guidance.

teddyb15
Riding the Bench

Post by teddyb15 »

Alexander plays gallipolis and huntington this coming weekend at 10

Bravo3
Waterboy

Post by Bravo3 »

Alex should be very solid and near the top of the TVC.
They don't have much size, but they have a group of 4-5 boys who have played an absolute ton of basketball together. This group has stuck together since early elementary. They pass, cut, and move very well and seem to always know where their teammates are. They also have the Tolar kid who transfered from Meigs last year. He has decent size and can post up or shoot the 3.

FLASH-G
Riding the Bench

Post by FLASH-G »

Alex is always favored But can't seem to beat Vinton County maybe It's coaching not players. :mrgreen:

spartacat
Freshman Team

Post by spartacat »

Hey Flash, I know you are a newcomer to the sight but you might want to attend history class instead of posting false statements. Alexander beat VC, I want to say 3 years ago at VC. Seniors that year were Kirkendall, Skidemore and a few others. I know I'm old, but if memory serves me correct I think Alex won the TVC that year.

Not taking away from VC they have had a good run of late. Not saying that Alex is going to win the TVC this year just stating facts.

Doesn't it seem funny how every thread that is has a TVC Ohio school in the topic somehow becomes a Vinton County thread? ;-)

FLASH-G
Riding the Bench

Post by FLASH-G »

Spartacat seems like you need a history lesson 2006-2007 Vinton County won the T.V.C. and just like now you were crying V.C. beat Alex 68-50 at Alex and 65-48 at home it's not everything turns into a V.C. tread it's when people talk basketball V.C. name keeps coming up.

rivercat
Freshman Team

Post by rivercat »

I'm a VC follower, but have always been a admirer of how Alex runs their basketball program. A class program with excellent coaching and good sportsmanship throughout. I would have to rank them as the favorite in the TVC this year, due to their returning starters and a very nice JV team last year. I do think however this will be a tight race this year with most teams having a legitimate shot at winning the league.

dish it
Riding the Bench

Post by dish it »

You cant say that it is coaching! Blain always has a game plan to keep them in the game. I look for them to be very deep at the guard position, with frost, barnhouse, king, chapmen.....should i keep going? tolar will be an asset and if i recall the bobo kid started last year as well.

fasteach
Varsity

Post by fasteach »

alexander has got to be the deepest team in the tvc. did not they finish 2nd last year? with tolar and their jv's they have to be the favorite. vc is good, but they lost alot. belpre is good. nelsonville makes everyone wish it was still football season. athens and meigs still have to find themselves. but you know march usually brings some suprizes.
ask kentucky. :lol:

SErunner
JV Team

Post by SErunner »

spartacat wrote:Hey Flash, I know you are a newcomer to the sight but you might want to attend history class instead of posting false statements. Alexander beat VC, I want to say 3 years ago at VC. Seniors that year were Kirkendall, Skidemore and a few others. I know I'm old, but if memory serves me correct I think Alex won the TVC that year.

Not taking away from VC they have had a good run of late. Not saying that Alex is going to win the TVC this year just stating facts.

Doesn't it seem funny how every thread that is has a TVC Ohio school in the topic somehow becomes a Vinton County thread? ;-)

I think almost every thread on here turns into a Trimble thread.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

FLASH-G wrote:Alex is always favored But can't seem to beat Vinton County maybe It's coaching not players. :mrgreen:

If anything I think Alexander is one of the teams that gets the most out of their talent. Sorry, but the most recent year they won the TVC they were outclassed across the board by VC but won the TVC anyway. That is good coaching.

spartacat
Freshman Team

Post by spartacat »

Hey Flash, I don't need a history lesson - you need to learn how to count. I said I thought it was 3 years ago. The 2006-2007 season that you are talking about was 2 years ago. I know for a fact that Alex beat VC at VC, what I am unclear on is did Alex win the TVC outright or share the title.

Go Alexander Spartans!

CoyDuke
Freshman Team

Post by CoyDuke »

If anything I think Alexander is one of the teams that gets the most out of their talent. Sorry, but the most recent year they won the TVC they were outclassed across the board by VC but won the TVC anyway. That is good coaching.

I agree that Alexander has good coaching, but to say that Vinton C. "outclassed" Alexander across the board that season is completely inaccurate. That was by far the weakest squad that the Vikings have had in quite a while, and it was probably the strongest Alexander team during the last several years. Even so, Vinton beat the Spartans once that year by 15 points.

gt13osu
Varsity

Post by gt13osu »

Alex won it outright that year.

spartacat wrote:Hey Flash, I don't need a history lesson - you need to learn how to count. I said I thought it was 3 years ago. The 2006-2007 season that you are talking about was 2 years ago. I know for a fact that Alex beat VC at VC, what I am unclear on is did Alex win the TVC outright or share the title.

Go Alexander Spartans!

Return to “Boys Basketball”