South Webster 08-09

art_vandelay
SE

South Webster 08-09

Post by art_vandelay »

Might as well get a thread started with soccer season over. But what's your thoughts on this upcoming season, Webster fans? The Jeeps have some decent talent back in Scott, Loop, Queen and Malone among others. They also might be getting some help from a solid freshman class the way it sounds.

I look for some improvement this year, but see it being tough to win many SOC II games (league is pretty solid from top to bottom). If the Jeeps can hold their own on the boards, they will be in most ballgames this year. Scott and Loop will need to carry the scoring load as last year was the first year in a long time that Webster didn't have a true scoring threat on it's roster. Haven't seen a schedule yet, but I have them pegged around 7th in SOC II and a record of something like 7-13. Would not be surprised at all to see them improve as the year goes on and end up making it to the Convo.

Also will be interesting to see how the players perform in the second year under Coach Reese. I've heard differing opinions about his coaching/system, but I think most people agree he should be given a few years to get this thing right. Anybody heard who the assistants will be?*

u_kno_me
Freshman Team

Re: 2008-09 South Webster Jeeps

Post by u_kno_me »

who is the incoming freshman??

jeepmadness
JV Team

Post by jeepmadness »

Best approach the coach could take would be to set standards and expectations high, be disciplined, and be stern with the players. You never get better by excepting what you have. Be a little demanding, push the players and expect the players to acheive more. As for the team playing style, if the team is anything like last year, scoring might be a little tough. But they have good enough athletes that they could be really good defensively as a team. They are probably good enough to play possession ball. Wear down the defense. Holgate ball :idea: ?

Keagan
Riding the Bench

Post by Keagan »

Can't wait for the season to start, alot of talent returning. I thought that malone always has been a scoring threat, that kid can light it up. Loop returns playing varsity for his third year. Both of these players have one district title and a regional apperance. Scott starts his second year varsity taller and stronger. Who are the incoming freshman. Last years JV team looked very good at times, I bet players from that team can help the cause. Cole was the JV coach last year, has there been more assistants added??

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Keegan: like the picture under your moniker! As for the assistants, I heard that Cole decided not to coach this upcoming season. If true, he will definitely be missed as he coached most of these kids the last couple of years.

u_know_me: I've never seen those group of kids play, but I've been told that the younger Loop and Pearson might have a chance at getting some varsity minutes this year. Hopefully enough upperclassmen are ready to go so they can keep that group together at the jv level. But the best players should play regardless of age, so if they are deserving of varsity minutes, then they should get them.

jeepmadness: agreed...a team of athletes that plays solid defense, rebounds, and limits turnovers on offense can compete with most teams even if they are lacking true scorers. If this team does not have someone capable of putting up 15-20ppg, then a slowed-down, deliberate offense ala Holgate might be the way to go.*

Sawdust
Freshman Team

Post by Sawdust »

Point guard was a major weakness last year. If they find one, they should be ok. I was impressed with the Miller boy on the JV team last year, he can ball. A bit undersized but ran the floor well and seemed to know what the others were doing before they did it. Should be an interesting year for the Jeeps. I like their coach and his approach to the game.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

sawdust: I'd assume Connor Scott will handle the point for Webster. Alot of people I kept in contact with during last season (lived out of the area, so only got to a few games) thought he should have gotten more minutes as the point was an issue all season with way too many turnovers leading to easy buckets for other team. But regardless, he should be ready to run this year and will give the Jeeps stability at the most important position on the floor for the next 3 years.*

bigbird
Waterboy

Post by bigbird »

heard from one of the boys the new jv coach is working them pretty hard. hopefully they will be able to hold their own this season. win lose or draw i'll be cheering them on

Sports_Tracker
Freshman Team

Re: South Webster 08-09

Post by Sports_Tracker »

Will the REAL Keegan please stand up!!! LOL!!! Too funny!!!

Keegan
Freshman Team

Post by Keegan »

That would be me. Here I stand

SportsCrazy
Waterboy

Post by SportsCrazy »

From watching SW play in shootouts, IMO I don't think they wil have a very productive season.

Sawdust
Freshman Team

Post by Sawdust »

You're right Art but Scott was used a lot as the #2 guard last year. He is a good player. Let' face it, they didn't have much talent last year and this year the talent will YOUNG. They will be very respectable by mid season,IMHO.

monk
Riding the Bench

Post by monk »

I believe the new JV coach is Shane Rhea.

Keagan
Riding the Bench

Post by Keagan »

I've heard the same thing about the JV coach working the boys hard. When is meet the team scheduled for this year???

Keagan
Riding the Bench

Post by Keagan »

Any news from south webster, meet the team, who made varsity, JV. Anyone with info holding out on us?????

Can See All
Riding the Bench

Post by Can See All »

Keagan wrote:Any news from south webster, meet the team, who made varsity, JV. Anyone with info holding out on us?????

First off, I heard that they are not doing meet the team. Instead they are doing a charity basketball game. Both the boys' and girls' squads will play a full game. Again I just heard this by word of mouth so....

Haven't heard anything about who made Varsity or JV, but I did hear something about how he already has 2 captains chosen? Any word on that?

monk
Riding the Bench

Post by monk »

Don't know anything about meet the team, but Can See All is right about the charity game. SW will be playing New Boston on Nov. 24th @ Webster. Girl's game starts at 6:00pm with the boy's game to follow.

Keagan
Riding the Bench

Post by Keagan »

Thanks good to know about the charity game. I haven't heard anything about captains, I'd say a little earily for that unless a player from last year really stepped up over the summer. Heard something a little strange late last night about a returning player getting cut, not a reliable source, this kid played some varsity minutes last year from the JV team. Someone say it aint' so??

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

keagan: if a jv player that played varsity minutes last year did in fact get cut, I'd assume it has more to do with academic/disciplinary issues than talent (unless that kid's skills somehow regressed greatly in the offseason which is doubtful).

monk: I've also heard good things about the new jv coach. Should be a good hire as every staff needs a coach that will do a little yelling if needed.

Anybody got a schedule or roster for the Jeeps yet? If so, feel free to post it for us fellow Jeep fans.*

Keagan
Riding the Bench

Post by Keagan »

There is a schedule on the school web page I'm to lazy to copy all down to this message. :122249

Return to “Boys Basketball”