Varsity

d-4 teams in se ohio

Post by streetballer »

who are top best teams in se ohio d-4

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Re: d-4 teams in se ohio

Post by TribeManiac10 »

Manchester, South Webster, and Racine Southern are probably the top three at the moment. Not sure which I would put #1.

Grinder
Freshman Team

Post by Grinder »

TribeManiac10 wrote:Manchester, South Webster, and Racine Southern are probably the top three at the moment. Not sure which I would put #1.

I agree. I watched all three of these teams over the summer and thought they were pretty even. Should be some interesting games come tournament time.

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

refresh my memory...whom represented this District in last years regional?

theuglytruth
Varsity

Post by theuglytruth »

I know Manchester beat Whiteoak to Advance and South Webster beat Fairfield to advance

streetballer
Varsity

Post by streetballer »

manchester represented this district in the regionals

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

Symmes valley, Eastern Pike are usually good as well

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

I agree with the posts that mentioned Manchester, South Webster and Southern. I also agree that Eastern will be competitive as well. I think South Webster benefits a lot from their league schedule which is typically full of very competitive D3 teams. Obviously, the SHL is a solid basketball conference as well which will certainly help have Manchester ready to go by tournament time.

jeep80
Varsity

Post by jeep80 »

No doubt Jesco that South Webster is in a good position being in the SOC II. Having to play against the bigger schools plus Portsmouth every year does wonders to prepare them for the Div IV tourney.

SOCFAN1430
Varsity

Post by SOCFAN1430 »

jeep80 wrote:No doubt Jesco that South Webster is in a good position being in the SOC II. Having to play against the bigger schools plus Portsmouth every year does wonders to prepare them for the Div IV tourney.

I agree with your statement but when you really think about it i'm not sure why they are even in the SOC2. They are the only D4 school, although i'm pretty sure they were D3 not to long ago. They are also the only without football, in a pretty good conference for football. In a way they probably have the biggest tourney advantage in the state considering what has been mentioned with the good quality D3 and D2 teams they face. I believe there was a Webster team a few years ago that was around 500 on the year and won a D4 District title.

jeep80
Varsity

Post by jeep80 »

SOCFAN1430 wrote:
jeep80 wrote:No doubt Jesco that South Webster is in a good position being in the SOC II. Having to play against the bigger schools plus Portsmouth every year does wonders to prepare them for the Div IV tourney.

I agree with your statement but when you really think about it i'm not sure why they are even in the SOC2. They are the only D4 school, although i'm pretty sure they were D3 not to long ago. They are also the only without football, in a pretty good conference for football. In a way they probably have the biggest tourney advantage in the state considering what has been mentioned with the good quality D3 and D2 teams they face. I believe there was a Webster team a few years ago that was around 500 on the year and won a D4 District title.
The Jeeps moved up to Div III many years ago and actually stayed there for awhile. After moving back down I think they kept them there to keep the two leagues balanced numbers wise. I may be wrong on that, but I think I heard that somewhere.
The year you are talking about was 2007 after they won the state. They lost a lot of players and really struggled during the regular season going 10-10. Then in the tourney they did pretty well making it to the Regionals and played Harvest Prep really close before losing it late. That was the year Georgetown won the title I think. The competition they play against during the season does wonders for them come tourney time. They would pretty much have owned the SOC I if they had played there the last 8 or 9 years.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

SOCFAN1430 wrote:

The D4 teams from the SHL last season(with the exception of Manchester) had seasons kind of like that. Every D4 team in the league won a sectional title(I believe Fairfield and Whiteoak both did it with losing records) and Manchester was one shot away from a trip to state.

SOCFAN1430
Varsity

Post by SOCFAN1430 »

The opposite has happened to a number of SOC 1 teams. Have a great regular season with 15+ wins, win the league or go undefeated in league play. Then get beat out in the sectional, or make it to district semis and get drilled

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

SOCFAN1430 wrote:The opposite has happened to a number of SOC 1 teams. Have a great regular season with 15+ wins, win the league or go undefeated in league play. Then get beat out in the sectional, or make it to district semis and get drilled
Exactly, because they run into the Webster's, Whiteoak's, Fairfield's, Manchester's, etc that are just more battle tested throughout the regular season. As I have mentioned before on the football forum, the gap between the SOC 1 and the SOC 2 has widened considerably over the last 10 years. That has certainly not done any favors for the SOC 1 schools in the postseason. I remember very well the days of the '80s and into the early to mid-90's when schools like East, Eastern and Green were regulars at the Convo in District and Regional play. The battles those teams used to have on the hardwood in the regular season were awesome. And, they played solid nonleague games. My brother's senior year at East (1989-90 season), they finished 20-4, losing to Berlin Hiland in the Regional Semifinals. That Regional was LOADED that year with East, Eastern, Berlin Hiland and defending (and eventual) state champ Columbus Wherle. In the regular season that year, East and Eastern shared the SOC 1 title, with East playing non-league games against both Chesapeake (won on a shot with less than 10 seconds to play my big bro) and Ironton (lost in a very good ballgame at Grant Gym).

Grinder
Freshman Team

Post by Grinder »

I think D4 at the Convo will be better than it has for a long time. With district games that could feature teams like Southern, Manchester and South Webster. A regional that will probably have Africentric, who could be the best D4 or D3 team in the state.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

Grinder wrote:I think D4 at the Convo will be better than it has for a long time. With district games that could feature teams like Southern, Manchester and South Webster. A regional that will probably have Africentric, who could be the best D4 or D3 team in the state.
Africentric will definitely be good. Berlin Hiland(Dylan Kaufman and Seger Bonifant will be a tough duo to stop) and Bishop Rosecrans(even without Phillis) will be pretty strong again as well.
Last edited by TribeManiac10 on Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

SOCFAN1430
Varsity

Post by SOCFAN1430 »

Jesco White wrote:
SOCFAN1430 wrote:The opposite has happened to a number of SOC 1 teams. Have a great regular season with 15+ wins, win the league or go undefeated in league play. Then get beat out in the sectional, or make it to district semis and get drilled
Exactly, because they run into the Webster's, Whiteoak's, Fairfield's, Manchester's, etc that are just more battle tested throughout the regular season. As I have mentioned before on the football forum, the gap between the SOC 1 and the SOC 2 has widened considerably over the last 10 years. That has certainly not done any favors for the SOC 1 schools in the postseason. I remember very well the days of the '80s and into the early to mid-90's when schools like East, Eastern and Green were regulars at the Convo in District and Regional play. The battles those teams used to have on the hardwood in the regular season were awesome. And, they played solid nonleague games. My brother's senior year at East (1989-90 season), they finished 20-4, losing to Berlin Hiland in the Regional Semifinals. That Regional was LOADED that year with East, Eastern, Berlin Hiland and defending (and eventual) state champ Columbus Wherle. In the regular season that year, East and Eastern shared the SOC 1 title, with East playing non-league games against both Chesapeake (won on a shot with less than 10 seconds to play my big bro) and Ironton (lost in a very good ballgame at Grant Gym).

Columbus Wherle left a bad taste in the mouths of Eagles fans on more than one occasion. I believe in 87-88 season then again in 88-89 they were on the regular season schedule with the away team winning both games. I might need correction on the two season

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

SOCFAN1430 wrote:
Jesco White wrote:

Columbus Wherle left a bad taste in the mouths of Eagles fans on more than one occasion. I believe in 87-88 season then again in 88-89 they were on the regular season schedule with the away team winning both games. I might need correction on the two season
I know the Eagles traveled to Columbus to take on Wherle in 89-90. Played them hard for four quarters, but came up short in the end. That same year year Wherle traveled to Ross Southeastern and was beaten by a very talented group of Panthers that made a deep tourney run. Eastern also played SE that year and was beaten by 2 at OUC.

Jesco...you bring up some good memories and there were definitely some hard played games against the SOC I schools. It was hard to beat East at their place and we split our games that year. I am trying to figure out who your brother is. (Monroe, Bear, McGraw?)

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

Hoggy,

My brother is Randy Abrams. He started on the '89-'90 team with Kevin Monroe, Shannon Bear, Johnny Wright and Jeremy Cantrell. He was the 6th man the year before in '88-'89 when my cousin Brett Osborne was the Sr leader of that group.

Definitely a lot of great memories!!

Futurebkstar
All State

Post by Futurebkstar »

South Gallia should be pretty good this season.

Return to “Boys Basketball”