Is Zanesville leaving the SEOAL after the 2008-2009 season?

Army
S

Is Zanesville leaving the SEOAL after the 2008-2009 season?

Post by Army »

:?: :?: :?: :?:

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Post by warrnwarriorfan »

The word on the street is . . . yes.

Army
S

Post by Army »

warrnwarriorfan wrote:The word on the street is . . . yes.

warrnwarriorfan,

It's true look at the Football Web Page and open up the Athens Messenger Article about Zanesville leaving after the 2008-2009 season.

Army :-D

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Post by warrnwarriorfan »

Army:

Yup, here's the link:

http://athensmessenger.com/main.asp?Sec ... M=41414.61

Zanesville is gone after next year and Ironton is on the verge. Things are going to get interesting.

pleasanttiger
SEO

Post by pleasanttiger »

Essentially, the board and the community are not in support of the travel situation financially," Aronhalt told the ADs. "They would like to move in a different direction and possibly even be independent."

Competition wasn't the reason, Aronhalt said.

thought i would post this quote from the article before palidan or too old spread the word they were leaving for fear of logan
:roll: :roll: :roll:

:D :D :D
Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

We've been playing Logan in football for a long, long time. I think there was a one-year interruption in that series a few years ago, but it was due to scheduling issues and existing contracts. So fear of Logan would certainly not be the case.

Across the board, the issue of competition has NOT been a problem for us. Boys basketball has been the lone exception, but that's also an anomaly, IMO. We just happened to hit entry into the league with some of the best talent we've ever had around here. IMO, the likelihood that we would remain at that level much longer isn't very good.

2old
All Conference

Post by 2old »

Hey Pleasnt,

That is a false named. There is nothing pleasant about you. I happen to respect Zville on the field and court. It is people like you who think they know my mind(and you can not because your mind is too small) that i have a problem with. Also teams like yours that tell us how they are going to "take back the league" and then don't back it up. If you had backed it up none of you tigers would have heard from me

I will do my own posting and hve my own opinions. I do not need some guy from Ironton speaking for me. You guys haved your own problems.

BTW, Zvegas i would say you are right. The league overall is unbelievably weak in BB at the moment. It can not last forever. However, Zville would always be toward the top of the heap in BB.

I knew about this before it broke and no one has seen me post anything negative. But be advised WHEN the once proud tigers turn tail and run i doubt I will be as kind.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

So, Zanesville pulls out and it's fine, but when Ironton mentions dropping out for the same reason(travel expense), everyone jumps all over them. Interesting.

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"
fighting_falcon
Freshman Team

Post by fighting_falcon »

If Lutz goes .500 again they are gone. Travel will be the excuse. Zanesville on the other hand as done quite well so you can't say they are leaving because they can't win, unlike you can with Ironton.

2old
All Conference

Post by 2old »

Burg,

i do not know why anyone is surprised. It is a matter of respect. You give respect you get it. Zville entered this league with a state class basketball program. They did not come on this board and say"we will now show you boys how to play BB". They came in confident but did not tell us how it was gonna be.

ironton on the football side told us all "they would show us AGAIN how to play football. Obviously it is not true about ironrton and yet the posters continue to fill page after page with bravado. People get tired of that stuff. If ironton can do in football what Zvile has done especially in BB and to a lesser degree in FB(they were #2 this year) then they can leave and avoid the tuck tail and run tiger comments.

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

where would ironton go? weren't they an independent before they got into this league? how did that work out for them?

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

Burg_Grad_77 ...

Trying to think back, I think Ironton's issues are less about travel expense as it is about gate receipts. If so, that would be more of an indication that people aren't going to Ironton, not that Ironton's having trouble when it goes to other schools.

The difference, at least on the surface, is that we spent a lot of time behind the scenes quietly looking at everything and then made a decision. Ironton's sudden "departure" certainly made it look like a knee-jerk reaction, one that was not made with any apparent "study" first.

In the end, if Ironton's concerns about its finances lead to its departure, so be it. It's just, IMO, the way it was handled showed poor public relations.

----

BTW, our board meeting isn't until next week. But this is a slam dunk anyway.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Logan has played the 'ville for years in both FB and yes we have taken many a beat down in hoops over the years - hopefully we will be able to keep the Blue Devils on the schedule in the years to come ... will be interesting to see the "traveling" that both Ironton and Zanesville will have to do as independents ...

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

In reality, based on the past, probably LESS travel, and easier trips, too.

Army
S

Post by Army »

pfloyd wrote:... Logan has played the 'ville for years in both FB and yes we have taken many a beat down in hoops over the years - hopefully we will be able to keep the Blue Devils on the schedule in the years to come ... will be interesting to see the "traveling" that both Ironton and Zanesville will have to do as independents ...

pfloyd / Zanes Vegas,

I hope at least Zanesville and Chillicothe will continue to play each other in Basketball. :-D

Heck for that matter in Football too. How far is it to Lancaster from Zville? Not that far. Then take Rt. 159 and 35-40 minutes later you are in Chilli. :-D

I was glad to see these old two C.O.L. rival teams playing against each other again. :-D

ARMY :-D

Bronc21
All Conference

Post by Bronc21 »

if i remember right, isnt it about 36 miles to s.zanesville from lancaster? i always just take rt. 22...not a bad drive.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I am personally sad to see Zanesville leave the SEOAL....I think they along with Chillicothe raised the bar for the league in basketball. But I understand their concerns.......the financial aspect of operating an athletic program is virtually at the top of the priority list.....more money being spent than being taken in is not a good thing for a high school sports program.

One thing is true about the SEOAL......they gave Zanesville a chance to be a part of a league, when every other situation seemed to stiff arm the Blue Devils.

Army
S

Post by Army »

trojandave wrote:I am personally sad to see Zanesville leave the SEOAL....I think they along with Chillicothe raised the bar for the league in basketball. But I understand their concerns.......the financial aspect of operating an athletic program is virtually at the top of the priority list.....more money being spent than being taken in is not a good thing for a high school sports program.

One thing is true about the SEOAL......they gave Zanesville a chance to be a part of a league, when every other situation seemed to stiff arm the Blue Devils.

So true my friend so.....true :!:

Good Post :!:

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

As a big fan of the Zanesville program, I am saddened to see them leave the league, but I completely understand. The league was truly better with Z-Ville as a part of it. However, the league needs to strengthen itself with the 8 remaining teams by focusing on improvements iin scheduling, communication etc.

My understanding is that Ironton will most likely stay in the league and that helps. We are losing a top tier team and a bottom tier program (Athens). No disrespect from them, but in B-Ball a loss to Z-Ville is offset by a win over Athens. The league will be more competitive in B-Ball.

My hope is the Cavs and Z-Ville can renew the rivarly that is developing on the hardwood. I go back in my memory bank and remember the old COL days. While the scores were lower, and the shorts were higher, these teams were competive and so are these today.

Good luck to Z-Ville as they figure out what direction to go. It is a shame with the cost of fuel and travel these days, that great rivalries are broken. I remember when it was common for teams from up North to roll to Portsmouth or vice versa. I also remember a Lima Senior program that traveled all over the state. Those days are gone unless someone else is willing to foot the bill.

GO CAVS!!!

Army
S

Post by Army »

hitchbone64 wrote:As a big fan of the Zanesville program, I am saddened to see them leave the league, but I completely understand. The league was truly better with Z-Ville as a part of it. However, the league needs to strengthen itself with the 8 remaining teams by focusing on improvements iin scheduling, communication etc.

My understanding is that Ironton will most likely stay in the league and that helps. We are losing a top tier team and a bottom tier program (Athens). No disrespect from them, but in B-Ball a loss to Z-Ville is offset by a win over Athens. The league will be more competitive in B-Ball.

My hope is the Cavs and Z-Ville can renew the rivarly that is developing on the hardwood. I go back in my memory bank and remember the old COL days. While the scores were lower, and the shorts were higher, these teams were competive and so are these today.

Good luck to Z-Ville as they figure out what direction to go. It is a shame with the cost of fuel and travel these days, that great rivalries are broken. I remember when it was common for teams from up North to roll to Portsmouth or vice versa. I also remember a Lima Senior program that traveled all over the state. Those days are gone unless someone else is willing to foot the bill.

GO CAVS!!!

Good Post :!:

I hope Chillicothe and Zanesville keeps at least the Basketball series going. And Football once in a while too! :-D

Hitchbone64,

Many are still not sure about Ironton's intent. They are meeting again I believe it was Feb they said on here, to continue the debate and develop the direction they are going to go. Either staying in the SEOAL or leaving. It could begin a domino effect. There has been talk of the new league that Zanesville is thinking of starting with OVAC Teams may have Marietta in it too. If they leave I don't know if Warren Local stays? Likewise, if Ironton leaves, will Portsmouth stay for the long haul?

No dis-respect to the SEOAL, I just hope the AD and Sports staff along with the Administrators at Chillicothe are digesting all of this CLOSELY. And are prepared to actively look seriously at the MSL-Buckeye or SCOL. By starting to make contacts and build some bridges with cander and civil rapport with those two leagues, just in case. I don't think Chillicothe wants to be in a SEOAL with 3 teams plus themselves. Do you?

The last time the SEOAL almost imploded was in the 80's. Former Charter Members left in 1982 (Wellston) and 1983 (Meigs). Also Waverly in 1982 going back to the SOC. And former Charter member (Ironton) left a second time at the end of 1984-1985 season. That left Jackson, Logan, Gallipolis and Athens scrambling to find someone. The league was desperatly trying to convince TVC teams, SOC Teams and even I heard a MSL team to switch and join the SEOAL. That's the year the C.O.L. folded and they convinced Marietta to join.

Before Marietta came in, Jackson tried to leave the SEOAL for the SOC II and SCOL. But both leagues turned down Jackson's request to join them. Then in 1986 Warren Local left the TVC and joined the SEOAL. Taking the league to 6 teams again and later adding and then losing Chesire River Valley, and Point Pleasent, WV.

In 1985 if Jackson would have left, by being accepted into one of those leagues, instead of being rejected, the SEOAL would have probably folded with only Logan, Gallipolis and Athens left in it.

Now the same could happen again. Athens is gone in 2008, Zanesville is leaving in 2009, Ironton is expected to leave in 2009 as predicted, no matter what the new board said a few weeks back...the Zanesville move only helps them make the case about lost revenue. Portsmouth may follow Ironton, Marietta joins Zanesville in creating the River League on the Eastern part of the state.... and leaves with them in 2009... as rumor puts it.

Warren leaves as an independent or tries to get into the MVL, thus leaving Chillicothe with Logan, Jackson and Gallipolis as the SEOAL. There are no other SE-Ohio schools willing to join or who are left to join the league down here. :-D

I hope we stay together but gas prices will be a continued issue and could cease a lot of leagues in this state and across the country, due to severe loss of revenue in there Football and Basketball Programs.

Look at all the SE-Ohio Leagues. They are super close together.

*The TVC-Ohio with the exception of the Belpre drive.

*The SOC I and II are close in.

*The OVC is close in.

*The TVC-Hocking is close in except Waterford.

*The SEOAL is spread from the Scioto River N-West to the Ohio South, to the Ohio East to the Muskingum River North. No other SE-Ohio League is even close or for that matter any other league in the state for that matter.

*The MVL is not even that spread out.

*The OCC is close to each other.

*the distance to all the ECOL are still closer than the SEOAL.

*The three MSL-Divisions....Buckeye, Cardinal and Ohio are close in.

*Heck even the SCOL is close. The only issue with the SCOL is the 2 lane roads that has to be traveled on.

*The SVC is a close connected league too.
Last edited by Army on Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “Boys Basketball”