District Appearances Since 1990?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

District Appearances Since 1990?

Post by Ironman92 »

You can choose a longer time period or shorter...but since 1990 here are the top SE District teams in terms of yearly appearances in the District Tournament.

13......Chesapeake.....Norm Persin

14.....Wheelersburg...Tom Barrick
14.....Greenfield McClain...Rick Van Matre

15....North Adams....Dave Young

Longest CURRENT streak of district appearances:

Whiteoak 2000-07....Pat Hines

Every year these coaches get it done.

I wonder how many future college players these guys have had?

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth appeared in the district in 1990, 91, 92, 93, 94, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, and 04.....for a total of 12 times.

The Trojans won the district in 1990, 1991, 1994, 1999, and 2001.

They also advanced to the district final 4 straight years from 1999-2002.

Portsmouth's total number of district appearances I believe is 58, if I remember correctly from the SE district tourney program. The Trojans have won the district 34 times.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

How many coaches Dave since 1990?

Green had 11 as they did very well in the 90's.....don't know their coach either.

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Appearing in the district tournament can only be one win in the sectional today which is really not that big of deal. How about the number of district titles by each? Then, I will be impressed. :) I think programs should be judged on district titles, not just getting to the Convo.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Ironman92: Joe Suboticki, Allan Hatcher, Mike Haley, Jim Rhea, and Rick Hopkins are the coaches who made it to the district since 1990.

I know that Portsmouth is #1 is the SE district with 34 district titles, and Wheelersburg is tied with SE Ross for second with 15 each. And those figures are all time standings.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Bozo wrote:Appearing in the district tournament can only be one win in the sectional today which is really not that big of deal. How about the number of district titles by each? Then, I will be impressed. :) I think programs should be judged on district titles, not just getting to the Convo.

Out of the 14 times Wheelersburg has made it to the Districts in that time frame, they have won 8 times. 90,92,95,96,00,02,06,07

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

Back in the early to middle part of last century, the tournaments were run quite differently.

By the middle part of last century: There was a County sectional tournament for the municipal and parochial schools which by 1958 (after a lot of consolidation) was just Notre Dame and New Boston. Those two played for a sectional title until one team won twice. New Boston won a lot. They were under Homer Pelligrinon then and won a lot period...

The County schools were divided into two divisions, schools with less than 150 (ie South Webster, Clay, Green, Otway, Rarden) and schools with more than 150 enrollment (Northwest, Minford, Wheelersburg). At that time Portsmouth (in the >150) was significantly larger than any school that they would have faced in the county. There just was no one who came close to Portsmouth in numbers. So there were 6-7 smallish and mid-range teams fighting for one sectional title with Portsmouth in the mix.

For many years, after the sectionals, District was often a single game for a championship. Early on, Portsmouth rarely had a challenge until that district championship game.

Portsmouth getting smaller, other schools gaining in size, the consolidation of McDermott, Otway and Rarden and the restructing of the tournament from the county format in the late 60's/early 70's made it harder for the Trojans to win district championships but saw a dramatic increase in mid-size schools such as Minford, Valley and Wheelersburg getting out of the sectionals.

BTW-if we think the southeast gets treated badly by the state powers now, one year OHSAA decided that the small school sectional winner would no longer go to Cincinnati to play for the district as had been the tradition but rather would travel to Berea--just a little south of Cleveland for their first out-of-county game of that tournament. That was somewhere in the 1950's so about a 6+ hour trip?

Thank-goodness for Athens!
Last edited by drrabbit on Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Very good info, Doc.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

agree, sometimes it's 1 win sometimes it's 2...with an occasional 3......but this much success in getting to the districts translates to not being upset very often in the tourney. To me when upsets happen there has been someone getting outcoached....getting to the district level this often to me means these are the coaches that are least likely to be on the bad end of an upset.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Also....is it just a coincedence that the teams above also have some of the best coaches in the district....all of which are over 325 wins.

dave......Why such the turnover rate at such a basketball rich school...during such a successful period?

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

I agree with your last point Ironman.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

AND for goodnesss sakes...I'm from Jackson.....we go to the Convo about 4 times a century...so it means a lot more to me than it does someone from Greenfield or Wheelersburg!

d young
Riding the Bench

Post by d young »

It is a big deal to get there. Sometimes the path seems to be easy. Last season the S.E. district in division 3 had 30 teams and 12 got to the Convo. This year there are 31 teams with only 8 making it. The path to getting there is not that 1 or 2 games that some say is no big deal, it is the 16,17 or 18 games that you prepare for prior to the tournament drawing that puts you in that position. It IS a big deal.

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

With the NCAA seeding used today, I agree with d young.

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

drrabbit wrote:Back in the early to middle part of last century, the tournaments were run quite differently.

By the middle part of last century: There was a County sectional tournament for the municipal and parochial schools which by 1958 (after a lot of consolidation) was just Notre Dame and New Boston. Those two played for a sectional title until one team won twice. New Boston won a lot. They were under Homer Pelligrinon then and won a lot period...

The County schools were divided into two divisions, schools with less than 150 (ie South Webster, Clay, Green, Otway, Rarden) and schools with more than 150 enrollment (Northwest, Minford, Wheelersburg). At that time Portsmouth (in the >150) was significantly larger than any school that they would have faced in the county. There just was no one who came close to Portsmouth in numbers. So there were 6-7 smallish and mid-range teams fighting for one sectional title with Portsmouth in the mix.

For many years, after the sectionals, District was often a single game for a championship. Early on, Portsmouth rarely had a challenge until that district championship game.

Portsmouth getting smaller, other schools gaining in size, the consolidation of McDermott, Otway and Rarden and the restructing of the tournament from the county format in the late 60's/early 70's made it harder for the Trojans to win district championships but saw a dramatic increase in mid-size schools such as Minford, Valley and Wheelersburg getting out of the sectionals.

BTW-if we think the southeast gets treated badly by the state powers now, one year OHSAA decided that the small school sectional winner would no longer go to Cincinnati to play for the district as had been the tradition but rather would travel to Berea--just a little south of Cleveland for their first out-of-county game of that tournament. That was somewhere in the 1960's so about a 6+ hour trip?

Thank-goodness for Athens!

Actually Portsmouth played in the Rio Grande Sectional with Marietta, Logan, Zanesville, Chillicothe in the 60's and early 70's, then at the Convo with Washington Court House, Chillicothe, Miami Trace in the mid 70's it wasn't until the late 70's early 80's when they started facing Burg, Ironton, and Northwest at Lucasville and South Webster.

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

I will have to pull out a couple articles to review but in the late 50's, Portsmouth was playing at Clay as I recall and playing teams like Northwest and East for sectional titles. It would be interesting to see how the tournament was structured even earlier. Last night I looked up the some other things and it looks like they left the county format in the mid-1960's as Wheelersburg started seeing Ironton and Waverly in sectional play starting then. So Portsmouth playing at Rio in those later periods would be about right. But 1958-65 the Trojans were playing in the county sectional with just other county teams. And from what I could tell, there was no school in the county that could compete with them with any regularity. From what I read, Portsmouth not winning the sectional required a major upset during that time, even on the years when Portsmouth had a losing record.

Sweet Pea
Freshman Team

Post by Sweet Pea »

Green's coach during this time was kevin lewis....sounds like we could use him as coach now..

late,
sweetpea

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Ironman92: Without going into specifics, because it's hard to pinpoint the exact reason why PHS has had such a turnover, I would say......expectations, controversy, retirement.....we have had a little of all those along the was. What is remarkable is that before 1990, we still had a history of a high turnover rate.

The late George Heller had the longest tenure as the Trojan head coach.....1952-1968. 224-137 record overall, with 9 district titles and 1 state title, that being in 1961.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Thanks for the info dave.....that stuff interests me.

Eagles20
Freshman Team

Post by Eagles20 »

Don't know the number but Belpre's had a quite a few District appearances since 1990

Return to “Boys Basketball”