Chillicothe Cavaliers 07-08

gymratt
Freshman Team

Chillicothe Cavaliers 07-08

Post by gymratt »

What do you guys think of the cavs this year? Who is gonna step up. how far can they go, will they go undefeated in the SEOAL again? This season is going to be great but there are so many questions that I can't wait to be aswered; man I can't wait untill basketball thirty at the Convo. :-D

Army
S

Post by Army »

I think Chillicothe has an excellant chance of going undefeated and winning the SEOAL back to back by defeating Zanesville again for the Crown. We'll have to wait and see.

Good Luck CAVS :!:

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Army - a tough, tough non-conference schedule for the Cavs this season ... not sure being "undefeated" is in the cards BUT a back to back SEOAL championship is there to be had ... don't think anyone would argue that a repeat match-up with ZHS is a solid bet ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

I see the Cavs to be too beat up come league time.If you look back I was right about the Cavs in football, but in basketball it won't be as bad.

gymratt
Freshman Team

Post by gymratt »

noreply:
you were right about the cavs in football. The schedule that they played(the toughest in SEO IMO) hurt them, but only because they lacked leadership and the "it" that last year's football team had and I feel this year's B-ball team will have. It may be tough early on to replace the leadership of Givens who IMO was the MVP of that team and is irreplaceable by anyone's standards. I believe however that the cavs will either win or at least be competitive in ALL of their non-league games which will make them better come tourney time. This team is focused on going deep into the playoffs and if they get beat up a little early on and perhaps lose an early league game while they are "recovering" it will be well worth it if it prepares them for the battles of March. IMO, this team could beat everyone in the SEOAL except the 'ville and maybe Warren even if they are tired or missing a player or two. Not to come off the wrong way but being to beat up to win the league will not become an issue.

Army
S

Post by Army »

gymratt wrote:noreply:
you were right about the cavs in football. The schedule that they played(the toughest in SEO IMO) hurt them, but only because they lacked leadership and the "it" that last year's football team had and I feel this year's B-ball team will have. It may be tough early on to replace the leadership of Givens who IMO was the MVP of that team and is irreplaceable by anyone's standards. I believe however that the cavs will either win or at least be competitive in ALL of their non-league games which will make them better come tourney time. This team is focused on going deep into the playoffs and if they get beat up a little early on and perhaps lose an early league game while they are "recovering" it will be well worth it if it prepares them for the battles of March. IMO, this team could beat everyone in the SEOAL except the 'ville and maybe Warren even if they are tired or missing a player or two. Not to come off the wrong way but being to beat up to win the league will not become an issue.

gymratt,

The Cincinnati Team D1 I don't know anything about. Also the Newark D1 (Wildcats) our old C.O.L. foe from years past, now in the OCC (Ohio Divison) with Lancaster. I don't know about Brookhaven D1 for that matter either, but I assume they will be the hurdles our CAVS will have to climb over. The good news is, we have Brookhaven at home. As for the game with Wheelersburg D3, I like our chances this year, even though the game is at the Burg. I am not to sure about us when we play Dayton Dunbar D2 at Wellston. They are really good and are coming off a State D2 Championship season.

I do think the SEOAL is ours to lose. I suspect the League Crown will boil down between us and Zanesville again. We have Warren Local at home. So that's a plus. I really don't see us losing in the SEOAL, but who knows. In B-Ball anyone can win, if there hitting the points. The CAVS so far have really looked good in there scrimmages against Gahanna Lincoln D1 from the OCC, which I did not see, but I did watch them dominate The Lancaster D1 (Golden Gales) there other old foe from the C.O.L. now in the OCC (Ohio Division).

One thing for sure, this team will be exciting to watch this season.

Good Luck CAVS :!:

Dshanton3
JV Team

Post by Dshanton3 »

Seth Dawes is going to step up and have a big season filling in for Givens.

and thats just how it is...Dshanton3
chillout
Riding the Bench

Post by chillout »

I agree dshanton, I think Big Red will fill in Givens left role. I think he will do some big things this year if Kellough will leave him in there rather than take him out after a mistake.

Lamont Cranston
Freshman Team

Post by Lamont Cranston »

Gonna repeat pretty much what I posted on Pfloyds top 8 thread. Attended two of the Cavs scrimmages last saturday (St. X and Centerville). One thing is for sure, Chilly is ducking no one in preparation for the 08-09 season and tourney. This includes non-league games and scrimmages. Unlike football, losses against a brutal schedule, only makes you tougher come March, as everone gets to dance!! They are fast, went @ 8 or 9 deep at times in these two games trying to win (as were the opponents). All of the kids in the rotation seemed to be even more comfortable than a year ago with each other, and Coach K's system. As per last year, it all starts with Hump. He continues to see the floor very well, and can outrun most with the ball. Sugar Ray has an even better touch, and is downright relentless on the glass. Stu has excellent "spot up" ability from the perimeter, and is improved defensively. Dawesy has developed more of a complete floor game to go along with his ever maturing body and will be a tough matchup for any opponent's defense, as he can shoot the three as well as take the ball with authority to the hole. And, Caleb (only about 10 days removed from FB) hasn't lost a step, and is the consumate TEAM player. I can see him having nights of nearly 20 points, and others where his role will simply be ball-handling, defensive stopper, and rebounding... as has always been the case with this young man, whatever it takes to help the team win and no complaints. Lots of anticipation in the First Capital to see this team start the season as they ended last year's... on fire! Go Cavs!!

Calling it like it is...
gymratt
Freshman Team

Post by gymratt »

what were the results of those scrimmages with X and centerville? How did everyone look?

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

what exactly is coach k's system? how does it differ from his years at zane trace?

Lamont Cranston
Freshman Team

Post by Lamont Cranston »

Gymratt, to answer your question (just one person's opinion here) the Cavs did ok. In the first game against X, they missed several open looks early, dug a hole, then played about even the second half. Hump definately did not have his best shooting game, but still was able to create looks for himself and others by penetrating more as the game wore on. Ray was very active inside against lots of thicker, but shorter "bangers". In the second game against Centerville, I think they ended up losing by 4 or 5 pts. Dead even game almost the entire way. Some good looks by Dawes and Stu, and Ray held his own against the 6'9" center from them who has committed to UD. Two good opponents that typically compete for D1 District titles in the ultra competitive southwest region of the state.
Sparky, don't really know how to answer your question, other than in two short years with limited Senior contribution, it has produced a Regional Runner-Up, while knocking off the #1 ranked team in the state along the way. Hard to compare two years to twenty, though. Go Cavs!

Calling it like it is...
baller3
Riding the Bench

Post by baller3 »

Sparky, To somewhat answer your question I believe coaching is similiar however at Chilly the athletes are faster, stronger and flat out better. I believe Coach K had three kids score 1,000 points at ZT. He had some talented teams but nothing that could compare to this one. Chillicothe has a lot of speed, strength and experience. They should be very exciting to watch with several games scoring in the 100's. Like last year this team beat oppenents by 40 and 50 points with the starters sitting much of the game. I would like to see them press more this year which creates excitement. I believe this will happen. The Southeast district has a team to reckon with and its the Cavs!

Army
S

Post by Army »

baller3 wrote:Sparky, To somewhat answer your question I believe coaching is similiar however at Chilly the athletes are faster, stronger and flat out better. I believe Coach K had three kids score 1,000 points at ZT. He had some talented teams but nothing that could compare to this one. Chillicothe has a lot of speed, strength and experience. They should be very exciting to watch with several games scoring in the 100's. Like last year this team beat oppenents by 40 and 50 points with the starters sitting much of the game. I would like to see them press more this year which creates excitement. I believe this will happen. The Southeast district has a team to reckon with and its the Cavs!

I agree! I think this teams destiny rest on how far they can take it. I would love to see them score one of those 100 point games on Logan, just to see if they would invade our post after such a game. Wouldn't that be hillarious if that did happen :?:

Logan has starters from last years team not playing this season, sort of like Gallia Academy's team this year as well. The only true challenge within the SEOAL should be Zanesville. We have Warren Local at home. They had a decent team, but we blew them out at there place last year. Marietta played a good game against us, but we over came there last minute push. They had a kid who hit a lot of 3 pointers in last years game at Chilli.

GO CAVS :!:

Dshanton3
JV Team

Post by Dshanton3 »

Chilli struggled its first two games of the night scrimmaging in columbus tonight losing by one to Huber Heights Wayne and then winning by 1 over Central Crossing, but then they came out and dominated Columbus Desales.

and thats just how it is...Dshanton3
Army
S

Post by Army »

Dshanton3 wrote:Chilli struggled its first two games of the night scrimmaging in columbus tonight losing by one to Huber Heights Wayne and then winning by 1 over Central Crossing, but then they came out and dominated Columbus Desales.

Dshanton3,

Sounds like Coach K knew what he was doing when setting up this tuff scrimmage schedule and the season schedule. Can't wait to see them in action this season. :-D

GO CAVS :!:

gymratt
Freshman Team

Post by gymratt »

Army. 3:47 in the morning :lol: :lol: :lol: . Thats some dedication man.

ZvilleBlueDevil
JV Team

Post by ZvilleBlueDevil »

or too much coffee!!!!!!!

Army
S

Post by Army »

gymratt wrote:Army. 3:47 in the morning :lol: :lol: :lol: . Thats some dedication man.

gymratt,

No, just getting up for work. :-D

ZvilleBlueDevil wrote:or too much coffee!!!!!!!

ZvilleBlueDevil,

I don't drink much Coffee, but did drink a Diet Coke or two by then. :-D

Army
S

Post by Army »

What's the starting line up for the CAVS this season?

I know Ray, Seth, Humpty and Caleb will be there, is Beverly there too :?:

I did not see his photo in the (CAV Team Photo) on the cavs.com page :?:

There is a total of 15 CAV Players in the Varsity Photo for the 2007-2008 season and I did not see Beverly in it? I know we lost Baker to Unioto this year. Anyone know why? Hopefully he will be in the lineup too. He made some great shots when it really counted last year during the stretch towards the SEOAL Championship game and into the playoffs.

Thanks

Army

Return to “Boys Basketball”