Portsmouth Trojans 2023-24

PTrojan59
S

Re: Portsmouth Trojans 2023-24

Post by PTrojan59 »

trojandave wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:09 am Did some additional research into Portsmouth's all time record, and along the way found out an amazing stat........PHS passed the 1,500 win mark earlier this season (vs. Gallia Academy), but I have found records from 1908, 1914, and 1915, which totaled 19 wins and 17 losses. So that would put the Trojans at 1,521 wins, 848 losses, which would be almost 700 games above .500. Even with the struggles of the past 5 seasons (no winning seasons), that's still a remarkable record to be that many games above the .500 mark.

Portsmouth continues to be the last SE district school to win a game in the Final 4. Portsmouth defeated Ottawa-Glandorf in the 2012 D3 semifinals 74-66 as Wayne Evans and Jayllen Carter combined for 45 points. PHS lost the championship game to Cincinnati Summit Country Day 53-37.

Since that year, 7 SE schools have made the Final 4......Fairland, Sheridan, Lynchburg Clay, Waverly, New Boston, Ironton, and Warren. All have lost in the semifinal game. Ironton came the closest to winning, losing their D3 2013 semifinal game to Ottawa-Glandorf by 1 point.
Thanks for the info Dave

Who Dey!
PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Trojans were way too sloppy again tonight against a good Chesapeake squad. Numerous bad/careless passes, defense still not guarding the 3 ball well, and they were just out hustled. Was good to see some different kids crack the rotation though. Scurlock and whoever 21 is.

Who Dey!
TrojanTru
Waterboy

Post by TrojanTru »

PTrojan59 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:59 pm Trojans were way too sloppy again tonight against a good Chesapeake squad. Numerous bad/careless passes, defense still not guarding the 3 ball well, and they were just out hustled. Was good to see some different kids crack the rotation though. Scurlock and whoever 21 is.
Too sloppy and too much crying. The hustle wasn’t there. We can’t keep allowing teams to go on 10 point runs, then decide to turn on the pressure. Scurlock was able to give a spark off the bench. Berry has to learn to play through adversity, he hurt this team when he had to be benched. TrojanDave screams it every game, no 3’s, and what do we do, fail to talk on D, get burned on a trailer, and give up a 3. Coach Lisath has said old habits die hard, he’s working to break them, they just keep rearing their ugly head.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

TrojanTru wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:40 am
PTrojan59 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:59 pm Trojans were way too sloppy again tonight against a good Chesapeake squad. Numerous bad/careless passes, defense still not guarding the 3 ball well, and they were just out hustled. Was good to see some different kids crack the rotation though. Scurlock and whoever 21 is.
Too sloppy and too much crying. The hustle wasn’t there. We can’t keep allowing teams to go on 10 point runs, then decide to turn on the pressure. Scurlock was able to give a spark off the bench. Berry has to learn to play through adversity, he hurt this team when he had to be benched. TrojanDave screams it every game, no 3’s, and what do we do, fail to talk on D, get burned on a trailer, and give up a 3. Coach Lisath has said old habits die hard, he’s working to break them, they just keep rearing their ugly head.
Agree, I’m sure they’ll get there on defense eventually, but it’s just not there yet. Guarding the 3 ball will literally make such a difference. Like what you said about the runs they give up, it’s hard to win a game when you let a team score 8/12 unanswered. You can chip away, and sometimes it works, but the last 2 games it hasn’t, and it’s resulted in a loss both times, can’t give teams so many advantages.

Who Dey!
trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth fell out of 1st place last night, as the visiting Chesapeake Panthers travelled home with a 61-53 win. Good points by PTrojan59 and TrojanTru. In the last 2 games, losses to Wheelersburg and Chesapeake, the Trojans were down big after the 1st quarter, and they couldn't dig themselves out of that early hole. PHS is now 6-2 on the season, 3-1 in the OVC. 9 of the Panthers first 11 points were on 3 pointers, as TrojanTru alluded to. PHS committed 18 turnovers, and only lost by 8. The Trojans did cut the lead to 3 in the 4th period, but couldn't get any closer.

Don't have any official scoring for the game. The JV squad played one of their best games of the year, coming from 19-8 down to win by 6. Leland Scurlock played in both the JV and varsity games, and played well in both. Could be more varsity PT in the offing for Leland. JV team now 3-4.

Since 2020, Portsmouth has gone 12-18 at home vs. OVC schools. The last 2 seasons total, PHS has gone 4-10. Cannot win the conference if you don't take care of your home court, and the Trojans haven't done that.

Overall records vs. OVC schools since PHS joined the conference in 2015: 18 games total played but RH, CG, GA, Chesapeake, and Ironton 2023-24 results are included which would be 19 games.

Ironton: 7-12 (Tigers 10 game winning streak snapped)
Fairland: 3-15 (PHS won 80-69 @FHS last season to break a 16 game losing streak)
South Point: 10-8
Chesapeake: 9-10
Coal Grove: 11-8
Gallia Academy: 10-9
Rock Hill: 17-2
Last edited by trojandave on Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth and Ironton will renew one of the SE district's oldest rivalries on Tuesday. PHS leads the all time series 92-76, but IHS has won 10 in a row vs. the Trojans. PHS is 8-7 vs. the Fighting Tigers in tournament play.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth played its best game of the season thus far with a 67-37 win over Ironton @Ironton. The Trojans jumped to a 12-2 lead and were never threatened. It was a complete domination of a good Ironton team. PHS stifled the Fighting Tigers' 3 point game, as they went 1-18 from behind the arc. DeAndre Berry led PHS with 26 points. PHS is now 7-2 overall, 4-1 and tied for 1st in the OVC. Ironton was 4-0 in the OVC going into the game.

The win snapped a 10 game winning streak by IHS vs. PHS. PHS now leads the all time series 93-76. The win was PHS's largest margin of victory at Ironton since a 65-28 win in 2002. The JV team lost and is now 3-5 on the season.

Playing at that level last night, the Trojans looked a regional team. Hopefully going forward more of that is coming.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Did some refiguring about PHS's all time record......with the current record of 7-2, and with 19 wins and 17 losses from the 1908, 1913, 1914, and 1915 seasons, Portsmouth now has a record of 1,522--849. Obviously some years missing, but that's about as accurate as the record's going to be. Couldn't find any info on 1909, 1910, 1911, and 1912.
Last edited by trojandave on Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

DeAndre Berry has now scored 911 points in his Trojan career after posting totals of 15 vs. Chesapeake and 26 vs. Ironton.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

The South Point Pointers handed the Trojans one of the most embarrassing home losses in school history, to the tune of 83-49 last night. Not only was it embarrassing, but it also was the largest margin of defeat in any home OVC contest since the Trojans joined in 2015. PHS jumped to a 7-2 lead, but after that it was all Pointers as they completely dominated every aspect of the game. DeAndre Berry scored 23 points to raise his career total to 934, while Donovan Breech scored 11. Caleb Lovely drilled four 3's in the same right corner in the 1st half, and the Trojans seemingly couldn't find him in that corner. After coming off a 30 point win at Ironton, this game was shocking to say the least.

The Trojans continue to struggle at home in the OVC. Over the last 2 years, and including this season thus far, PHS is 5-12 at home in the conference. This year, Portsmouth is 3-0 on the road in the OVC, and 1-2 at home. The JV team lost and is now 3-6 on the season.

Portsmouth is 7-3 overall.

Portsmouth takes on Columbus Linden McKinley today at the Buckeye Elite at Shawnee State. Starting time is 2 PM.

Lovehoops1
Freshman Team

Post by Lovehoops1 »

I thought the new coach was going to press run pressure the ball and get after it and play lots players this year. I havnt watched all their games but ones I did see they never press. Why the change?

SouthEast Hoops Fan
Freshman Team

Post by SouthEast Hoops Fan »

trojandave wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:17 am The South Point Pointers handed the Trojans one of the most embarrassing home losses in school history, to the tune of 83-49 last night. Not only was it embarrassing, but it also was the largest margin of defeat in any home OVC contest since the Trojans joined in 2015. PHS jumped to a 7-2 lead, but after that it was all Pointers as they completely dominated every aspect of the game. DeAndre Berry scored 23 points to raise his career total to 934, while Donovan Breech scored 11. Caleb Lovely drilled four 3's in the same right corner in the 1st half, and the Trojans seemingly couldn't find him in that corner. After coming off a 30 point win at Ironton, this game was shocking to say the least.

The Trojans continue to struggle at home in the OVC. Over the last 2 years, and including this season thus far, PHS is 5-12 at home in the conference. This year, Portsmouth is 3-0 on the road in the OVC, and 1-2 at home. The JV team lost and is now 3-6 on the season.

Portsmouth takes on Columbus Linden McKinley today at the Buckeye Elite at Shawnee State. Starting time is 2 PM.
I was stunned by this score. Is South Point really very good? I thought so for 7 or 8 games and then I thought, no not really. This game makes me think they are one of the southeast’s better teams again. What do you think?

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

SouthEast Hoops Fan wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:26 pm
trojandave wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:17 am The South Point Pointers handed the Trojans one of the most embarrassing home losses in school history, to the tune of 83-49 last night. Not only was it embarrassing, but it also was the largest margin of defeat in any home OVC contest since the Trojans joined in 2015. PHS jumped to a 7-2 lead, but after that it was all Pointers as they completely dominated every aspect of the game. DeAndre Berry scored 23 points to raise his career total to 934, while Donovan Breech scored 11. Caleb Lovely drilled four 3's in the same right corner in the 1st half, and the Trojans seemingly couldn't find him in that corner. After coming off a 30 point win at Ironton, this game was shocking to say the least.

I was stunned by this score. Is South Point really very good? I thought so for 7 or 8 games and then I thought, no not really. This game makes me think they are one of the southeast’s better teams again. What do you think?
South Point is a good team. Portsmouth was overhyped from the beginning because of a new coach.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

I watched this game online. I’m not real familiar with teams down that way other than their records and the teams they play.

South Point was definitely the better team on that night! I don’t know if they are that good every night but they were against PHS. I thought they played better, looked to have better players and were very well coached. South Point really executed in the half court game. They got a lot of easy shots and really defended Portsmouth’s 1-on-1 style. I will agree with the another poster that say the OVC is crazy this year. It will be interesting to see how the league plays out!

TrojanTru
Waterboy

Post by TrojanTru »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:13 pm

South Point is a good team. Portsmouth was overhyped from the beginning because of a new coach.
It seems we’re sitting right beside South Webster on that overhyped train!

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:13 pm

SW also overhyped because of a new coach huh? Making yourself sound even dumber than you look, can’t stay off a Portsmouth post to save your life.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

SW and Portsmouth played 5 quarters in December 1st…

What take that 34 point loss like a man, racist

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Nothing but excuses. Were the refs for south point the wrong color too? Crickets

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:30 pm SW and Portsmouth played 5 quarters in December 1st…

Reaching for head to head results on a meaningless scrimmage to make up for the fact the the little jeeps aren’t quite as good as you thought Swanky boi

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:39 am
The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:30 pm SW and Portsmouth played 5 quarters in December 1st…

Reaching for head to head results on a meaningless scrimmage to make up for the fact the the little jeeps aren’t quite as good as you thought Swanky boi
We all know what that’s code for :D . Hating on whitey

Return to “Boys Basketball”