Hunnington vs Vinton Co @ Covo (Sat)

g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

Since the schedules are made so far in advance, who do the Vikings have for non league opponents next year and the following year?

Ty Webb
All State

Post by Ty Webb »

Ty Webb wrote:I went back and looked at some of your prior posts. Regardless of what transpires you'll no doubt have something negative to say about VC.

You're a joke! :shock:

fighting falcon wrote:TyWebb
No joke here. Only joke is the VC schedule.
I just here alot of chest bumping from the VC fans and I am points out you play no one. Go ahead and beat up on the same ole boys then get beat early in the tourney.

Wow, folks did I call that one or what. :shock:

If getting "beat early in the tourney." means winning your sectional, then I'm sure they're a lot of teams that would like to be "weak" like VC. The Vikes also ran the table in their league, so you might as well start putting the TVC down too falcon.

Regardless of their schedule(be it regular season, or tournament), Vinton County seems to be than average. Could they play a tougher schedule....sure. Are there better schools their size....absolutely. Does Fighting falcon continually make it apparent that he dislikes VC and makes an idiot of himself on a routine basis.....I'd say that'd be a YES too. :lol: :lol:

Hope they get the Huntington/VC games rescheduled on the 28th.

Piece Out Cub scout!!

fighting_falcon
Freshman Team

Post by fighting_falcon »

webb
Grow up. How is pointing out that VC plays no one being an idiot?? Who do you play?

I am glad that if you have one of the top two D2 teams in all SEO that you are satisifed with a sectional win. You've got pretty high standards there buddy. Just keep pating yourselves on the back.

It is quite clear you don't like it when anyone challenges you or your vikes. I just don't have to resort to calling people idiots or other names, I just merely point out facts. I will ask you again, who do you play that is any good.

As far as the schedule being made up in advance, I'm sure Chilli had to do some scrambling but they were able to do it. Most contracts are for two years and typically home and home. You'll need to come up with something better than years in advance.

Judge Smales
Freshman Team

Post by Judge Smales »

Could we please get back to the important issue here "Captain Jacks Enema!" :shock:

gymratt
Freshman Team

Post by gymratt »

OKAY children let me settle the argument for you guys. V.C. doesn't play ANYONE. Athens and Jackson are the 2 worst teams in the SEOAL and the 2 worst D2 teams I have ever seen. Athens couldn't be competitive in the SEOAL in any sport on their best year. That is why they are joining the TVC. I don't even think anyone but the players and parents even knows that Jackson has a basketball team so If, as some have pointed out, those are your big D2 games I hope your playing some REALLY GOOD D3 teams. Once again, your not. Southeastern, another one of your "tough" non-conference games is in D-4, and allthough they are usualy a respectable(not great) program, they are down this year, and a D2 team should not be playing a D4 team anyway unless it is to preserve a major rivalry or something of that sort. No one is asking you to play Dunbar or Toledo Libbey or even Zanesville( because we all know that it's okay for D2 V.C. to play D4 teams but it's totally unfair to ask a small D2 team to face a small D1 team in it's first year up from d2). All that anyone asks is that you schedule up to your level at least. How about an upper half SEOAL team like Warren, Marrietta, or Ironton. Heaven forbid, but maybe you could drive to C-bus and play a crappy OCC team or a bad City league team. If you are happy winning sectional tournaments over other weak local D2 teams and getting crushed in districts by other local D2 teams that actually play a schedule or a team from columbus if by some chance you'd get that far. STOP BASHING people for stating THEIR OPINION, schedule some tough teams, not to lose, but to ready yourselves for the athletes you will see in the tourney. Handle your business, quit complaining when people make fun of you and don't EVER, EVER, EVER, wish to be mentioned in the same breath as the BURG. You'll have to PLAY and BEAT GOOD TEAMS for that and if you Don't PLAY any GOOD TEAMS you surely can't BEAT any GOOD TEAMS.

Sorry about the rant. nothing against the kids in the V.C. program. I just wish V.C. fans would quit being so defensive against a totally valid argument, and I as a basketball fan am not sure what to make of V.C. because they just haven't played anyone that can be used as a measuring stick. I would love to see them take their program to the next level, but to do it they MUST SCHEDULE BETTER. Good luck to all of the PLAYERS on the Vikings team.

Hopefully we will see you at the convo.
GO CAVS.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

Captain Jack wrote:
G W McLintock wrote:Since the schedules are made so far in advance, who do the Vikings have for non league opponents next year and the following year?

I really hope you haven't decided to join in on ripping on VC's schedule. VC may not have a real strong schedule, but it is stronger than Fed Hock's. Also, why didn't anybody complain about the VC schedule 5 or 10 years ago? Nobody cared when we weren't winning all the time. Guess what, we were the same size then.

I would put Rock Hill, Fairland, Waterford twice, and Parkersburg South (don't know who else FH will play in that tourney) right up there with Vinton County's schedule. Plus, VC's schedule should be a full notch above FH's schedule. They are both preparing for a different level of tournament.

Also, you will not see any FH posters ever claiming, "Only two teams could even play with us on a neutral floor," no matter what FH's team is like that year. We're talking about a school that considers it bashing for someone to say that Fairland could play with them.

BLUEGRASSVIKE
Varsity

Post by BLUEGRASSVIKE »

1st
I canonly speak for myself in saying I nevr said Jackson and Athens were quality games this year. What I did say is they were D2 teams in the area, along with Waverly and Meigs. Someone on this site asked if VC played or would play any D2 or D1 teams this year and this was my response.
2nd
It is not fair to the VC players to fault them for a "weak" schedule. Reguardless how good VC is they still play in the TVC Ohio, and it is down this year. What would you suggest the Vikes do about this? Exactlly, they cant do anything. So they play local teams,who are traditionaly "decent" such as Waverly, Jackson, Athens and Philo who are all D2 teams from the SEO area. And they also play Southeastern(who is D3 not D4) again traditionlly a "good" program and close in distance.
3rd
I hope you are not referring to last years loss to Chilly when you say "get crushed in districts". Because that was a very close game until the 4th. As i recall VC was winning at the half. No one on here is saying VC has a tough schedule, no one on here is saying any of the teams they play are good this year. But what I feel the problem is, is that this team deserves a little more respect for thier accomplishments. Going undefeated last year and so far this year is a nice feat(reguardless of who they play). Everyone has a bad game or an off night but VC has managed to overcome those nights. And to the competition thusfar this year I dont think anyone has came within double didgets of the Vikes. You can complain about the scheduling all you want but you cant deny this is a very good ball team.

Sweet Pea
Freshman Team

Post by Sweet Pea »

well said gymratt!!!! 100% agree with the whole post - especially the last paragraph..it's nothing against the players.

late,
sweetpea

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Gymratt, FF, Sweet Pea it is YOUR PERCEPTION that does NOT and NEVER will MAKE IT RIGHT. It is time to put this nonsense to bed.

94-95 Coach Rick Brooks

5-16

Played

McClain L
@ Gallia L
@ Jackson L
Portsmouth L
Jackson L

McClain in the tourney and Lost.

95-96 Coach Brooks

2-19

Played

Gallia W
@ Chesapeake L
@ Adena L
@ Portsmouth L
Jackson L
@ Jackson L

Hillsboro in the tourney and Lost.

96-97 Coach Brooks

13-9

Played

@ Logan L OT
@ Jackson L
Chesapeake L
Adena W
Portsmouth W
McClain W

Beat Meigs to be Sectional Champs

Lost to Hillsboro in the Districts

97-98 Coach Brooks

11-10

Played

Logan W
@ Chesapeake L
@ Portsmouth L
McClain L

Lost to River Valley in the Sectionals

98-99 Coach Brooks

11-11

Played

@ Logan L
Portsmouth W OT
Chesapeake W
McClain L

Beat Jackson in the first round of the Sectionals and Lost to Portsmouth in the finals.

1999-2000 Coach Brooks

3-17

Played

Logan L
Chesapeake L
@ McClain L

Lost to Rock Hill in the first round of Sectionals.

2000-2001 Coach Matt Combs

9-12

Played

@ Chesapeake L
Southeastern L
@ Athens L
Portsmouth L
@ Jackson L
@ Logan W

Lost Gallia in the first round of Sectionals.

01-02 Coach Combs

12-10

Played

Adena W
Logan L
Paint Valley L
Porstmouth NW W
Athens L
@ Southeastern L
Jackson W

Beat Miami Trace by twenty in the first round of the Sectionals and lost to Washington Court House in the finals.

02-03 Coach Combs

14-7

Played

Huntington W @ Zane Trace
Wellington W @ Wellston
Eastern Brown W @ OU-C
Paint Valley W
@ Athens W
Southeastern L
@ Jackson L

Lost against Warren in the first round.

03-04 Coach Combs

20-4

Chillicothe L @ Zane Trace
Athens W
Adena W
@ Southeastern W
Leesburg Fairfield L
Wellington W
Jackson W

Beat New Lexington and Athens in the Sectionals to become Sectional Champs

Beat Miami Trace and lost to McClain by six for the District Championship.

04-05 Coach Combs

14-7

Played

Columbus West W
Southeastern W
@ Athens W
@ Adena L 2OT
Warren W
@ Jackson L

Beat New Lexington and lost to Gallia in the Sectionals.

05-06 Coach Combs

13-9

Played

@ Southeastern L
Athens W OT
@ Waverly L 2OT
New Lexington W
Rock Hill L
@ Warren L
Jackson W

Beat New Lexington and lost to Logan Elm in the Sectionals.

06-07 Coach Combs

22-1

Played

@ Athens W
Waverly W
@ New Lexington W
Chesapeake W @ OU
@ Jackson W
Philo W

Beat Athens and Warren in the Sectionals and Chillicothe in the Districts

This is a list of the non-league (or non-TVC) schools that were played over the past two coaches and the past 13 seasons.

What does it tell us? With a exception of the 97-98, 98-99 and 99-00 the non-league schedules basically look the same. What is different? And this no indication of Coach Brooks, but merely pointing out different eras. During Brooks era playing a perceived tougher schedule, the Vikings were 7-20 and 1-6 in tourney played (not counting a win against Meigs, a TVC school). During the Combs era, the Vikings with the perceived weaker schedule are, 27-19 and 8-7 in tournament play. Now, what does that tell us? First in the past seven seasons the Vikings have played 46 (regular season) and 15 (tournament) non-TVC teams as compare to recent history, 27 and 7 of the Brooks era.

As Nick Bakay would say; "The numbers don't lie."

I have said it before and I will say it again for those who have reading comprehension trouble;

"There is a fine line between scheduling to be competitive and tested than scheduling to be beaten and discouraged."

However, what is more important to me is that no one care what our schedule was like until recently. Hmmm, why is that? When we were getting our collective heads bashed in, nobody, and mean NOBODY cared.

When a program has success, there will always be nay sayers that come out of the woodwork like the cockroaches they are and try to their best to disparage the program's success. It is always; "Yeah, but..." It is trifling and sickening, there are coaches, players and parents that read these forums who are proud of their respective accomplishments. And then there are those who able to put words together to form a sentence, albeit an intelligent thought, who rant their opinions on a forum like this. Now before you get your panties in a bunch, I am a proud supporter of the First Amendment and will be until my dying day, but know this, your opinion is that; YOURS. Does not mean you are right. But before you go any further, do your research, formulate an argument and then articulate it. Until then, you are a disgruntle malcontent that is fortunate enough to have access to a computer where you can spew your nonsense in anonymity. May God have mercy on your soul.

gymratt
Freshman Team

Post by gymratt »

BLUEGRASS:
ou are right Southeastern is D3, I was mistaken. I believe they were D4 last year then but I could be mistaken. I will not knock V.C. for scheduling them in advance because they are usually a decent team. I simply think that you cannot use them THIS YEAR as evidence of a stronger schedule.( I'd use Huntington if I were you).
Sorry for the mistake.

vc_fan
Riding the Bench

Post by vc_fan »

If anyone wants to donate money to cover our expenses so we can take our show on the road like North College Hill send the the money to VC Athletic Boosters.LOL

I think most people in the community would rather play teams close to home and win than to travel an hour and half and get beat. Winning puts people in the stands.Who cares about the state Tourny Its highly unlikely that a D2 team from southeast Ohio will ever win it.

Sweet Pea
Freshman Team

Post by Sweet Pea »

hawkeye

What does this tell us???? lets see....

coach brooks played the tougher non league schedule is what it tells me!!

Mclain every yr - enuf said - VC doesn't play one team of this caliber now!

chesapeake every yr - VC doesn't play one team better than chessy was yr in and yr out!

Gallia - VC doesn't play one team better than gallia was back then!!

Portsmouth - won't play them now, even tho they have been down lately!!

Logan - should play them every yr....

IMO - if VC would have had this nonleague sched the last 4-5 yrs , they would have a MUCH better chance to advance further in the tourny!

lets hope that starting next yr when you don't have to play the crossover TVC games that you finally step up -
at least 1/2 of your nonleague sched............

late
sweetpea

hateraid
Varsity

Post by hateraid »

Sweet pea I now know why you spend your days bashing VC. You are a Green fan!!! LMAO!!! I would find a team to bash myself if my team had that kind of talent.
Late,
Hater

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

OK Einstien, using your logic. Coach Brooks was 6-17 against those five teams you mentioned, McClain, Chesapeake, Gallia, Portsmouth and Logan. One would assume that he had a great tournament run, WRONG, he was 2-6.

I am tired of being the smartest guy on the internet.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

....yawn

maybe it has been mentioned but lost in this dribble...but when and where is the makeup game?

Thanks

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

HP - You are. GW and I are simply waiting in the wings, in envy.... :lol:

Boy, has this one taken a left turn, or what!!!?!?!?!?

Doing someone else's Dirty Work....
hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

I92, The date of Dec 28th has been agreed upon, just trying to hammer out the details, stay tuned.

SD, you and GW are rightful heirs, no doubt.

g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

Captain Jack wrote:
G W McLintock wrote:Since the schedules are made so far in advance, who do the Vikings have for non league opponents next year and the following year?

I really hope you haven't decided to join in on ripping on VC's schedule. VC may not have a real strong schedule, but it is stronger than Fed Hock's. Also, why didn't anybody complain about the VC schedule 5 or 10 years ago? Nobody cared when we weren't winning all the time. Guess what, we were the same size then.

I made no mention of "strength of schedule". I just wanted to see what non-league games VC has lined up for the next two or three years.

I just asked a simple question. Evidently you do not know the answer or you would have given it.

I'm sure VC has some very strong games already scheduled for 2008-09, 2009-10 and 2010-11. We just don't know who they are with.

Sorry to have intruded into the Holy Kingdom of McVinton...

Return to “Boys Basketball”