Chillicothe at Wheelersburg

pinapplrdhwk
Freshman Team

Post by pinapplrdhwk »

Jumpshot wrote:Nobody made any excuses (read more closely). Just said the starters stayed in too long against non-starters and ran up the score. Jeeze. That's it. No excuses, no crying. Just stating an opinion. Don't be so touchy.
And, yes, the charges were charges, the holding fouls were holding fouls--as the picture supports-- and things not called both ways were let go. The officiating did not affect the game. (Might want to read that again, too.) Nobody said any of it led to a loss?????? Read it. Burg posters all have said, down the line, that the Burg team got beat by a better, very talented team and congratulations, on and on. And, yes, the guy is illegally holding Stegman's jersey. Not making a big deal about it. Just an observation that is obvious.
btw: I have seen that jersey holding a LOT this year. Why don't officials see it and call it? Maybe teams should get rid of these loose fitting uniforms?

maybe they didn't call it because it happens ALL THE TIME. i love how that picture out of all the pictures made Portsmouth's paper insinuating that's the only reason chillicothe beat burg. Get real i'm more than sure the ref didn't call it because it happens all the time, and its just fighting for position under the basket, big friggin deal. So it was going both ways. I also agree with other fellow chillicothe posters that the burg fans just had to find something to cry about. i noticed all the burg fans crying when oak hill won, as if they didn't beat you the right way

you people have it sadly confused that poor sportsmanship is leaving in your starters. no i'm sorry poor sportsmanship would have been coach k putting on his full court ball pressure, for the remainder of the game to get turnovers. if burgs coach is going to make a comment about humpty being in in the 4th quarter tell him to be a man and say what's really on his mind instead of crying to the paper "he scored 11 in the final quarter when the game was decided i'll leave it at that" if you got a problem go to the other teams' coach instead of crying to the paper. what a clown.

Dshanton3
JV Team

Post by Dshanton3 »

the comment about 11 of hump's points coming in the 4th quarter cracked me up b/c i guess 19 pts in three quarters is completely average. haha. oh well, i'm done with it, people make mistakes (refs) and coaches have different beliefs about when to work on things. its in the past.

and thats just how it is...Dshanton3
Bronc21
All Conference

Post by Bronc21 »

sure would be nice to see Stu get going. his shots arent falling yet....

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

i love how that picture out of all the pictures made Portsmouth's paper insinuating that's the only reason chillicothe beat burg.

R U serious??? Do you think that is the only reason they put in that picture? Everyone in the gym knows that the best team won. Hell, I'd even venture to guess that the majority of the people picking in the picks contest picked chilli to win the game, myself included.

i noticed all the burg fans crying when oak hill won, as if they didn't beat you the right way

You chilli people need not worry about the Oak Hill game. If you honestly think that being outshot 32 to 14 and outscored 20 to 8 from the free throw line, in a two point game that wasn't decided until the very end, isn't a homer job, then you are in for some rough games. It wasn't a situation where the Burg was down and had to foul to try and get back in the game, this was a nip and tuck game all the way. Almost half of their points came from the free throw line. Lot of stuff called on one end (hand checks, body checks, over the backs) thatw asn't called on the other. Imagine that. Like someone said on another thread, Burg is sore loser. No they aren't sore losers, they just don't like getting homered and losing. You take away half of those FT attempts and makes by OH and the Burg wins this game going away.

whspirate
Waterboy

Post by whspirate »

who cares if we lost the game and who cares if they left their starters in. We did the same things last year. When you have a good team and you are blowing people out, should you just not let your good players play? No let them play the game. Chilli has to get better too!

The thing that disappointed me about the game was the way we competed. I just did not see us trying to win the game on every posession. I know they had something to say about that, but give me a break. When a team that good comes to your home gym you have to compete on every play. At least ake them walk out of the gym knowing they were in a ballgame. They were just playing around and we excepted that.

We needed to take a page out of waverly's book when they played us last year. They beat us once, but even in the game we won, we knew we were in a ballgame.

We have to play more physical against better teams.

Dshanton3
JV Team

Post by Dshanton3 »

bronc, like the last couple years, Stu just needs to have that one night where he hits a few and gets his confidence back. its coming, he'll erupt one of these nights.

yabadaba...we know all about homer jobs, our season ended on one last year at the Convo.

and thats just how it is...Dshanton3
Tigfan
Riding the Bench

Post by Tigfan »

Chilli won the 3rd quarter by 12 points and the 4th by 6 points. I can see where leaving the starters in too long shipwrecked the Pirates. Its not up to one coach to determine when both teams starters should be pulled anyways. I also thougt the article was stupid. Focus needs to be put on the game not the drama.

baller3
Riding the Bench

Post by baller3 »

The last three posts pretty much sums it up. In the near future the Cavs will be accused again by running up the score because they are a really good team that will beat up on many opponents. I am a Chillicothe fan that enjoys watching this team and I know last year I saw the 2nd team almost as much as the first team. When you beat teams by 30,40 & 50 points its really not the coaches fault at Chillicothe. This weekend Gallia really showed a lot of effort and still lost the game by 25. Gallia did not have much talent and still competed. Wheelersburg lost by 25 and didn't show much effort. They looked a little more talented compared to Gallia.

Voice of the Cavs
Waterboy

Post by Voice of the Cavs »

First, pinappl... don't let your emotions get to you. Coach Barrick is not a clown. He is a great coach. Just made an unfortunate response in a post game interview.

He told me before the game how he wanted his kids to face a team with the athleticism possessed by the Cavs to make his kids better. If he chose to take the first team out early, perhaps the intent was to give his second five a chance to play against the Chillicothe five. That could be viewed as a compliment to Chilli. Right?

If Coach K left his guys in too long, it was in want and desire to see a solid 30 minutes out of them. They gave that in the opener against Brookhaven, but not so much in Gallipolis (which followed a 13 day separation between games on the schedule). Too bad it was at the 'Burg's opener and at their expense. Coach B and many others might've done the same thing if found in the same circumstance.

I was impressed with the aggressive play of freshman A. Stegman. He took advantage of what he was given, as a senior would. Spradlin looked as advertised, four year varsity player. Seemed the team might've packed it in as the Cavs hit their first seven shots in the third (not missing until 1:02 left in the quarter). That can be frustrating for an opponent.

Am I the only one that noticed the officiating crew was the same guys who had Chillicothe/Gallia on Friday? Not sure I've seen that before, two road games with the same crew. And they're a good experienced crew we've seen many times over the years.

TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

Post by TheMalteseFalcon »

Voice of the Cavs wrote:Am I the only one that noticed the officiating crew was the same guys who had Chillicothe/Gallia on Friday? Not sure I've seen that before, two road games with the same crew. And they're a good experienced crew we've seen many times over the years.

Taking your homies on the road with you these days? That's a new twist, but I like your style..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

J/K of course..

Home of the Atlanta Falcons.
yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Voice of the Cavs wrote:First, pinappl... don't let your emotions get to you. Coach Barrick is not a clown. He is a great coach. Just made an unfortunate response in a post game interview.

He told me before the game how he wanted his kids to face a team with the athleticism possessed by the Cavs to make his kids better. If he chose to take the first team out early, perhaps the intent was to give his second five a chance to play against the Chillicothe five. That could be viewed as a compliment to Chilli. Right?

If Coach K left his guys in too long, it was in want and desire to see a solid 30 minutes out of them. They gave that in the opener against Brookhaven, but not so much in Gallipolis (which followed a 13 day separation between games on the schedule). Too bad it was at the 'Burg's opener and at their expense. Coach B and many others might've done the same thing if found in the same circumstance.

I was impressed with the aggressive play of freshman A. Stegman. He took advantage of what he was given, as a senior would. Spradlin looked as advertised, four year varsity player. Seemed the team might've packed it in as the Cavs hit their first seven shots in the third (not missing until 1:02 left in the quarter). That can be frustrating for an opponent.

Am I the only one that noticed the officiating crew was the same guys who had Chillicothe/Gallia on Friday? Not sure I've seen that before, two road games with the same crew. And they're a good experienced crew we've seen many times over the years.

I can live with alot of what you said, but you'll have to agree, it always looks bad when the team that is leading big leaves the starters in while the other team has emptied its bench. It is usually the other way around. The team winning big will empty their bench and the team losing will leave in some of the starters. I don't agree with that situation either, especially if the game is out of hand. Why not let the guys who are busting their butts in practice everyday get some playing time? What are you really going to get out of your first team going up against the other teams second team? The only thing would be PT because the competition is not even going to be close to the same, so if that is what a coach wants to do, that is his prerogative, but always expect repercussions because of it.

baller3
Riding the Bench

Post by baller3 »

If both teams came to play saturday we wouldn't even have this discussion. Dburg did not show up. Chillicothe did show up and won the game. Go Cavs! Get ready for the tigers!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Chillicothe beat us 86-31 last year.....and they did not run up the score. They were simply better, and we were very bad that night, and paid the price.

baller3
Riding the Bench

Post by baller3 »

55 points td. thats a lot of points. The trojans will be a lot better this year.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

baller3 wrote:If both teams came to play saturday we wouldn't even have this discussion. Dburg did not show up. Chillicothe did show up and won the game. Go Cavs! Get ready for the tigers!

First off, it's Wheelersburg, not Dburg. You trying to go Gangsta on us. lol

Second, the Pirates did show up, but they had a very physically and emotionally draining game the night before against Oak Hill and Chillicothes speed and size just took it's toll by midway through the third quarter. I have never seen a Burg team throw in the towel no matter far behind they are and this didn't either. Like every person from Wheelersburg has stated on here, the Pirates lost to a much better team that just beat them in every aspect of the game.

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"
art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Some of you Burg fans need to chill out. They've lost two games to two State-caliber teams in Oak Hill and Chillicothe. Is Burg as good this year as they have been the last two years? Nope....subtract a 6'8" D1 player from your roster and you're bound to take a step back. But they are still contenders in the SOC and a Regional contender in D3. If that is a down year, then sign me up.*

DEmaniac
Waterboy

Post by DEmaniac »

What in the world is Burg playing a team like Chilli anyway!? They have so many kids in their school they could make 3 of our teams and some!! Come on!! Burg cant play in any year or anytime vs the size of Chilli! Why do we put up with that!!

Oh, we beat them last year? I didnt know that. We lost big time this year.

What in the world is Chilli doing playing teams like Burg? We are alot more than Burg is any year! We could field 3 teams with as many boys we have in our school!

Portsmouth? What about them? Oh, we lost to them multiple years in football when we were so much bigger than them? I cant believe that!! Oh we did beat them a few years in a row. GREAT! Oh, we lost to them this year?

Cav fans need to give us all a break. You should win this EVERY year! I for one do not care for us to be playing a school the size of Chilli but we are stuck up and had a loaded team last 2 years. Good luck to yours this year from a Burg fan and I am concerned with a small town folk that can see things that your bigger school fans cannot see in a bigger gym. That kind of Jersey holding is a blatant foul anywhere and can be construed as giving the game an advantage to a more athletic and bigger school. Just my opinion but it did happen in a smaller gym like ours. So be it. Good luck to both teams!

Looking out over the Ohio river, waiting for the tranquility that is NOT Friday night Football!!
yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

DE, I think that the reason Coach Barrick schedules teams like Chilli and Huntingington High, WV is that he knows win or lose, that those types of games will help them come tourney time.

Last year they played both Chilli and Greenfiled McClain, both DIV II schools and even though they lost one and won one, they knew that come tourney time the chances of them playing a caliber team of either in DIII were pretty slim. Coach Barrick knew that if they played with the same intensity in the tourney that they did in those two games, that good things would happen for the Pirates and they did.

I like that they schedule those teams. Burg has proven over the years that they can play with about anyone. This year against Chiil everyone knew that it was going to be a struggle with all that Chilli had coming back. Hell, alot of people on here already have them in Columbus come March. They definetly have the talent, but talent is just a small part of it. It takes alot of luck also.

DEmaniac
Waterboy

Post by DEmaniac »

Yabba, Good post. When will this talent run out? I dont know myself but we have been on a run for years! I know MY FAMILY is trying to keep it going at Burg!

How about anyone else?

LOL, Takes a man and a women and a good job! I see things are up in scioto county soon with the Centrifuge plant at Piketon and the Coke plant/steel mill/auto stamping plant at Haverhill and the steel distribution plant in New Boston!

My gosh! Could we get some hybrids from Chilli, Columbus, Dayton in our area soon? How will the Portsmouth Mayor take care of the signs on the highways leading into this area in 5 -10 years! "Bus load of talent and congrats to all area high schools!".

In 10 years Piketon could be the D1 state champs with nearly 10000 workers working the centrifuge and recycling plant!! I know some would be radiated by this but hey! Good for SOC! I have sat on a nuc warhead, its not hot, if you dont sit too long!!

Looking out over the Ohio river, waiting for the tranquility that is NOT Friday night Football!!
Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

I have sat on a nuc warhead, its not hot, if you dont sit too long!!

That explains a lot. lol

:lol: :lol: :lol:

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"

Return to “Boys Basketball”