Twin State League Boys Hoops

pioneer19
All Conference

Re: Twin State League Boys Hoops

Post by pioneer19 »

Hookshot wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:12 am
Whs95fan wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:46 pm
pioneer19 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:17 am Tuesday 1/2
Fairfield Christian Academy @ Warren (7-2)
Reedsville Eastern @ Point Pleasant (3-3)

Wednesday 1/3
St. Marys @ Fort Frye (6-2)

Friday 1/5
Fort Frye (6-2, 0-0) @ Marietta (8-0, 0-0)
Point Pleasant (3-3, 0-0) @ Warren (7-2, 0-0)

Saturday 1/6
Marietta (8-0) @ John Glenn

League play begins this Friday. Marietta and Warren are clearly the favorites, but Fort Frye is off to a nice start and Point Pleasant did upset both Marietta and Warren last season. It will be interesting to see how both visiting teams compete in week 1.

Marietta also with a big test on the road against the Muskies on Saturday. The early week matchups look favorable for the TSL.
That John Glenn game should be a good one, they've played some tough games up in the East district already and should've beat New Philly last night.
Agreed. Too many people looking past Marietta's next three games, none of which is a slam dunk win. Upsets happen all the time -- sickness, injuries, unusual foul trouble, and more can contribute to an unexpected result on a given night. At least two of those kinds of upsets this week in other games across the Southeast.
Don't think Belpre or Fort Frye have to horses to run with Marietta this year. I can see Fort Frye possibly hanging around for a while, as they are coming into tomorrow night's game with some momentum. John Glenn, on the other hand, is probably the best team we'll see this season until the Warren game. The Tigers will have to bring their A game to come home from New Concord with the win.

boss8
JV Team

Post by boss8 »

Except for a second quarter where Marietta completely took their foot off the gas and made a bunch of careless mistakes, the Tigers dominated Fort Frye last night. Fort has a solid team, but they couldn’t contain Kendall and couldn’t stay in front of Marietta’s guards.

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

1/9
Marietta (10-1) 71 - Belpre 46
Warren (10-2) 77 - Athens 27
Meigs 75 - Fort Frye (7-4) 66
Point Pleasant (4-5) 57 - River Valley 31

1/12
Marietta (11-1, 2-0) 49 - Warren (10-3, 1-1) 44
Point Pleasant (5-5, 1-1) 58 - Fort Frye (7-5, 0-2) 39

Game of the week is Marietta @ Warren. Will be a showdown between two of the top teams in the SE District. Wasn't at the John Glenn game, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say MHS is going to need to play much better to knock off the Warriors. Winner will be in the TSL driver seat. Point Pleasant is up and down. Beat Ripley, lose to Eastern. I'm taking the Cadets in that one.

Fort Frye @ Meigs could be a good one. Would love to see the Cadets go down there and get the win, but Meigs is solid this year.
Last edited by pioneer19 on Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Picket Fence
Riding the Bench

Post by Picket Fence »

As far as the Warren vs Marietta game is concerned, I’ll give Warren the advantage in this one bc it’s on “Coach Maddox Court.” However, I would not be surprised if Marietta goes in and gets the W, they are that good.
Warren needs to speed the game up and keep Marietta on their toes. Stadleman needs to be a catalyst in the uptempo game. Taylor will be tasked to slow down Kendall stay in front of him, contest everything. Then, Warren’s role players need to step up; Lupardus, Barry, Sealey, Cressey and crew. As far as Marietta is concerned, Kendall needs to play like the player he is, SE Ohio’s version of Larry Bird (I know, funny comparison). Kelly, Wittekind, and their guards will be tasked to slow down Stadleman (Warren’s offensive stud).
Both team’s respective coaches will be on top of their games. Let’s pack the house for the JV game! Make it a memorable one for the kids!

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

I see Warren taking over in the 4th.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
boss8
JV Team

Post by boss8 »

Very intrigued by the game on Friday. Last year at Sutton, Kendall scored at will against Taylor. He’s a much better player now than he was then. Stadleman is a player and Warren has some good depth. I think these are pretty even teams, with Marietta having the best player on the floor. Will that be enough on the road?

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

boss8 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:54 pm Very intrigued by the game on Friday. Last year at Sutton, Kendall scored at will against Taylor. He’s a much better player now than he was then. Stadleman is a player and Warren has some good depth. I think these are pretty even teams, with Marietta having the best player on the floor. Will that be enough on the road?
Very hard to win at Warren, and Marietta not playing well of late. Each game as I've said is its own separate and distinct event -- illness, injury, unusual foul trouble, shooting (not entirely controllable in basketball), etc. If both teams play their best or near best it will be a very competitive game.

Sportsfan01
JV Team

Post by Sportsfan01 »

Fort Frye lost to Megis 75 to 66. Fort couldn’t get stops and struggled on the boards. In my opinion for Fort Frye to take another step this year they have to get better on the defensive end. Which is uncharacteristic for a Fort Frye team.

As for Warren and Marietta, I expect Warren to win. Marietta struggled with John Glenn’s pressure so I think Warren will have an advantage there. I think the difference in the game is going to be that Warren has the better guards.

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

Hookshot wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:14 am
boss8 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:54 pm Very intrigued by the game on Friday. Last year at Sutton, Kendall scored at will against Taylor. He’s a much better player now than he was then. Stadleman is a player and Warren has some good depth. I think these are pretty even teams, with Marietta having the best player on the floor. Will that be enough on the road?
Very hard to win at Warren, and Marietta not playing well of late. Each game as I've said is its own separate and distinct event -- illness, injury, unusual foul trouble, shooting (not entirely controllable in basketball), etc. If both teams play their best or near best it will be a very competitive game.
Marietta played a very sloppy game last night against a short handed Belpre team, but I really expect them to be locked in against Warren. There is a ton at stake and I have confidence Coach Gardner is going to have them ready. Warren may win, but I think they are going to get the Tiger's A game.

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

pioneer19 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:40 pm
Marietta played a very sloppy game last night against a short handed Belpre team, but I really expect them to be locked in against Warren. There is a ton at stake and I have confidence Coach Gardner is going to have them ready. Warren may win, but I think they are going to get the Tiger's A game.
Tigers will be prepared, but the last three games 3 or 4 games have not been their best -- execution lacking and shooting just has fallen off. If both teams play their best, it will be a very competitive game. Warren appears to be playing very well of late.

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

Hookshot wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:07 pm
pioneer19 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:40 pm

Tigers will be prepared, but the last three games 3 or 4 games have not been their best -- execution lacking and shooting just has fallen off. If both teams play their best, it will be a very competitive game. Warren appears to be playing very well of late.
Really impressive win at Warren.

Picket Fence
Riding the Bench

Post by Picket Fence »

Marietta’s Z.Wittekind showed out tonight with around 20 points and Kendall worked his tail off and got a really hard earned 20 plus points for Marietta. Coach Gardner coached toe to toe with Maddox. Helluva high school atmosphere and props to both teams for competing their butts off…..SE Ohio basketball at its finest. Looking forward to the next edition of Warren @ Marietta.

boss8
JV Team

Post by boss8 »

GREAT win for the Tigers tonight! Austin Gardner is a heck of a basketball coach and he has done a great job changing the culture at Marietta. Curious if anyone got full stats and can post them here?

SouthEast Hoops Fan
Freshman Team

Post by SouthEast Hoops Fan »

boss8 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:14 pm GREAT win for the Tigers tonight! Austin Gardner is a heck of a basketball coach and he has done a great job changing the culture at Marietta. Curious if anyone got full stats and can post them here?
Agree. He not only changed the culture but and knows game strategy, but is especially good at individually “coaching up” players. Marietta lost five players from last year’s team and yet here they are this season at11-1.

TigerFan15
Riding the Bench

Post by TigerFan15 »

Tonight’s game between the Tigers and Warriors wasn’t the prettiest game to watch in this rivalry matchup. Shooting percentage was poor for both teams, especially Warren as I believe they finished 16-51 from the floor. Warren also struggled mightily at the line by starting off 2-8 from the charity stripe. Marietta too had their share of struggles with shooting and turnovers. The difference in tonight’s game was sophomore Zaiden Wittekind for the Tigers. Nobody expected he’d have the game he did by scoring 16 points or more. Kendall finished with 20 but Warren made him work so hard for every one of them. He’s the best player I’ve seen this season by a far sight. Significantly improved over a year ago. He shoots from outside the three point line almost as well as he does from ten feet which makes him so hard to guard. At 6’ 8” tall, he’s Marietta’s best long range shooter and helps bring the ball up the floor. Warren chose to have Sealey guard Kendall even though their guard gave up almost a foot of height to Marietta’s big guy. Sealey never quit, played hard, gave Kendall all he had. You gotta admire the kid for stepping up in this situation even though he knew it was a total mismatch. Great kid! Warren needs quality play and scoring in the paint for 4 quarters to come away with wins against teams like Marietta. Taylor didn’t have to guard Kendall but still spent much of the 2nd quarter on the bench in the first half after picking up his second foul. On the other end, Kendall guarded Taylor and held him to 7 points until the last few minutes of the game when Warren’s center got a quick couple of easy layups to get into double figures. Both teams made the other work extremely hard for everything they got tonight. Coach Gardner too had a pretty good game plan which is usually the difference maker for Warren in this matchup over the years. Coach Maddox and his staff always go the extra mile in preparing for every opponent but it looked like Marietta had obviously done the same and exposed a few things by the Warriors. Tigers come away with the victory tonight at the Warren Coliseum but I have no doubt that Coach Maddox will have his team fired up to play when the Warriors come to Marietta in two weeks on January 26th. Should be another good one for sure!

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

Hopefully someone can come on here and give us a rundown of the Point Pleasant win over Fort Frye -- surprised at the outcome and certainly at the margin. Did Fort Frye have missing starters? Thanks for any input.

Sportsfan01
JV Team

Post by Sportsfan01 »

Hookshot wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:51 am Hopefully someone can come on here and give us a rundown of the Point Pleasant win over Fort Frye -- surprised at the outcome and certainly at the margin. Did Fort Frye have missing starters? Thanks for any input.
Fort Frye played probably their worst game of the year last night. They only scored one point in the 1st quarter and couldn’t hit anything. Then they had a lot of silly turnovers.

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

Tuesday 1/16
Warren (10-3) @ PHS
Fort Frye (7-5) @ Morgan
Gallia Academy @ Point Pleasant (5-5)

Friday 1/19
Point Pleasant (5-5, 1-1) @ Marietta (11-1, 2-0)
Fort Frye (7-5, 0-2) @ Warren (10-3, 1-1)

Saturday 1/20
Steubenville @ Marietta (11-1)

Some big non conference matchups this week. Warren with the rematch at PHS (3-8). Big Reds record is not impressive, but they've played a tough schedule. I see Warren winning round 2 in what should be another great game.

Fort Frye in a bit of skid right now, but Morgan is a winnable game imo. Cadets need a win with a trip to Vincent looming on Friday.

Point is capable of beating Gallia, but it depends on which team shows up. The one that lost to Eastern or the one that rolled Fort this past Friday.

Steubenville @ Marietta will be interesting. Marietta is probably the favorite, but the Tigers didn't fair well against the last D2 East team they faced. Don't know a ton about Big Red.

SouthEast Hoops Fan
Freshman Team

Post by SouthEast Hoops Fan »

pioneer19 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:59 am Tuesday 1/16
Warren (10-3) @ PHS
Fort Frye (7-5) @ Morgan

Friday 1/19

Saturday 1/20

Some big non conference matchups this week. Warren with the rematch at PHS (3-8). Big Reds record is not impressive, but they've played a tough schedule. I see Warren winning round 2 in what should be another great game.

Fort Frye in a bit of skid right now, but Morgan is a winnable game imo. Cadets need a win with a trip to Vincent looming on Friday.

Point is capable of beating Gallia, but it depends on which team shows up. The one that lost to Eastern or the one that rolled Fort this past Friday.

Steubenville @ Marietta will be interesting. Marietta is probably the favorite, but the Tigers didn't fair well against the last D2 East team they faced. Don't know a ton about Big Red.
Interesting games:
— I see Point beating Gallia by 10 or more and losing to Marietta by 6-10 points.
— Fort edges Morgan by 3 and loses by 25 to Warren.
— Warren beats Parkersburg if they can stop Rodriguez. They should win by 12.
—Marietta could struggle with Point Pleasant but should win and Saturday night is a “pick ‘em” game against Steubenville.

Marietta if they can get more production out of more players is the best in the Southeast (now ranked No. 1 in the OHSAA playoff rankings). But they must put the historic Warren win behind them and focus on areas of concern — shooting, turnovers vs pressure, foul shooting.

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

SouthEast Hoops Fan wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:47 am
pioneer19 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:59 am Tuesday 1/16
Warren (10-3) @ PHS
Fort Frye (7-5) @ Morgan

Friday 1/19

Saturday 1/20

Interesting games:
— I see Point beating Gallia by 10 or more and losing to Marietta by 6-10 points.
— Fort edges Morgan by 3 and loses by 25 to Warren.
— Warren beats Parkersburg if they can stop Rodriguez. They should win by 12.
—Marietta could struggle with Point Pleasant but should win and Saturday night is a “pick ‘em” game against Steubenville.

Marietta if they can get more production out of more players is the best in the Southeast (now ranked No. 1 in the OHSAA playoff rankings). But they must put the historic Warren win behind them and focus on areas of concern — shooting, turnovers vs pressure, foul shooting.
I think you are a little higher on Point Pleasant than I am. I've watched them a couple of times this season and while they have some decent players, they didn't do much to impress me on either side of the court. They really lacked intensity on defense, turned the ball over a bunch, and took a lot of bad shots on offense. Watched a winless Eastern team basically shut Chapman down. I see Marietta beating them by 20+, especially at Sutton Gym. The Gallia game could go either way imo. Wouldn't be surprised to see Point win by 10+ or lose by 10+. I believe they lost by 2 in the first matchup.

I'm with you on everything else. Need to find some Steubenville video to watch. Hard to tell how good they actually are just based on their results to this point. Not very familiar with those upper valley teams.

Return to “Boys Basketball”