Will The Governor Put A Hold On Winter Sports?

thebarlowbandit
All State

Re: Will The Governor Put A Hold On Winter Sports?

Post by thebarlowbandit »

bigblue4life wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:01 pm Kentucky just pushed The start of Basketball back to January 4th. It was the KHSAA choice.
In OHIO schools going online everywhere, but we hold sports as high as we do the 2nd Amendment. Cant believe all them liberals in Adam’s County shut down basketball, same with Waverly. When will we have some folks who’s nads have dropped in our school boards.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:42 pm
bigblue4life wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:01 pm Kentucky just pushed The start of Basketball back to January 4th. It was the KHSAA choice.
In OHIO schools going online everywhere, but we hold sports as high as we do the 2nd Amendment. Cant believe all them liberals in Adam’s County shut down basketball, same with Waverly. When will we have some folks who’s nads have dropped in our school boards.
Some schools have shut down basketball due to a case on the team and thus have had to.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Straight from the CDC website:
488,000 (nearly half million) deaths EVERY YEAR due to cigarettes, including 41,000 innocent deaths to second hand smoke.
Nearly 1,400 deaths EVERY DAY of EVERY YEAR and unless you look that up you would never know - no one cares.
More deaths caused by cigarettes EVERY YEAR than COVID will in one year.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

smurray wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:34 pm Straight from the CDC website:
488,000 (nearly half million) deaths EVERY YEAR due to cigarettes, including 41,000 innocent deaths to second hand smoke.
Nearly 1,400 deaths EVERY DAY of EVERY YEAR and unless you look that up you would never know - no one cares.
Nobody wants to talk about anything but covid. Scare scare scare!!! Not a single death linked to a student athlete in Ohio during the fall sports season that I’m aware of.

petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

The whole fiasco since last March makes me want to puke!

petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

The whole fiasco since last March makes me want to puke!

Realist
Freshman Team

Post by Realist »

I want sports, but that's not a very good analogy. We have tons of laws against cigarettes. They recently bumped the age of buying cigarettes up to 21! If we had as many regulations dealing with Covid as we did cigarettes, there would be a riot.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

mlittle wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:55 pm
Nobody wants to talk about anything but covid. Scare scare scare!!! Not a single death linked to a student athlete in Ohio during the fall sports season that I’m aware of.
Smoking is a choice, so kinda hard to compare the two. Now I guess you could use the 41,000 second hand smoke deaths as comparison because it’s not something you have total control over. But if you use those numbers they don’t even come close to COVID numbers.

But I don’t think anyone’s concern at this point is a student athlete becoming ill, it’s everyone else the athlete comes in contact with and possibly passing it on to them. Such as coaches, parents, grandparents, etc. I still think they should allow the athletes to play, because I believe for the most part the teams will do what they need to do in order to stay safe.

We just need a bubble like the NBA had and put all the southern Ohio basketball teams in it. Then no worries about shutting down lol.

Glad as of now the OHSAA is allowing the winter sports to start on time. I just am fearful they won’t make it thru the season. But we can hope for the best.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

MasterOfNone wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:47 am
mlittle wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:55 pm
Smoking is a choice, so kinda hard to compare the two. Now I guess you could use the 41,000 second hand smoke deaths as comparison because it’s not something you have total control over. But if you use those numbers they don’t even come close to COVID numbers.

But I don’t think anyone’s concern at this point is a student athlete becoming ill, it’s everyone else the athlete comes in contact with and possibly passing it on to them. Such as coaches, parents, grandparents, etc. I still think they should allow the athletes to play, because I believe for the most part the teams will do what they need to do in order to stay safe.

We just need a bubble like the NBA had and put all the southern Ohio basketball teams in it. Then no worries about shutting down lol.

Glad as of now the OHSAA is allowing the winter sports to start on time. I just am fearful they won’t make it thru the season. But we can hope for the best.
I get it. My only argument is give us the choice. By now everyone understands the risk involved, we’ve lived with it long enough. If the parents/grandparents or coaches don’t feel safe then dont participate. This has been so overblown now where we are treating healthy people as sick and sick people catching it as a death sentence. Couldn’t be further from the truth if you just look at the numbers.

Realist
Freshman Team

Post by Realist »

mlittle wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:58 am
MasterOfNone wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:47 am
mlittle wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:55 pm Nobody wants to talk about anything but covid. Scare scare scare!!! Not a single death linked to a student athlete in Ohio during the fall sports season that I’m aware of.

I get it. My only argument is give us the choice. By now everyone understands the risk involved, we’ve lived with it long enough. If the parents/grandparents or coaches don’t feel safe then dont participate. This has been so overblown now where we are treating healthy people as sick and sick people catching it as a death sentence. Couldn’t be further from the truth if you just look at the numbers.
Should people get the choice to smoke inside at basketball games? I mean...So few people die each year due to secondhand smoke, it makes sense...

Obviously, I'm being the Devil's Advocate, but I just want people to see both sides of the issue. It's not a control thing, it's the uncertainty that surrounds Covid...I appreciate the effort the experts are making in trying to get this figured out.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Re: Will The Governor Put A Hold On Winter Sport

Post by MasterOfNone »

It’s hard to know what the right answers are, all I can say is I’m glad I’m not in the position of having to make those kinds of decisions. No matter what you choose, there will be many people who think you are doing the wrong thing.

Prime Time
S

Post by Prime Time »

We are in trouble! I hope all school districts, and school boards come to there senses and and go remote until June of 2021. Franklin County in purple now, Gov DEWine just said Ohio is on fire , meaning COVID 19 is running rampant. most people on here there only worried about a ball game, but school boards has to step up and stop and protect the teachers, staff, kids, parents etc. every life matters. Wear a mask, social distance, wash hands, avoid crowds, keep your family safe by following guidelines. Until a vaccine is out to public, earliest would be Sept of 2021 to even think of gradually opening up life as we knew it. school Districts need to step up and do what’s right, keep every one safe.

Orestes'
Freshman Team

Post by Orestes' »

Just stay consistent is all I ask. But that's not what's happening right now.

bullfrog93
Freshman Team

Post by bullfrog93 »

Orestes' wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:58 pm Just stay consistent is all I ask. But that's not what's happening right now.
Are you referring to the Gov saying everyone needs to wear a mask but then provides a list of everyone who doesn't need to wear a mask? Or is it the 10pm curfew that requires everyone to be home by then except for the ones who don't have to be home by then? :o

bullfrog93
Freshman Team

Post by bullfrog93 »

Prime Time wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:15 pm We are in trouble! I hope all school districts, and school boards come to there senses and and go remote until June of 2021. Franklin County in purple now, Gov DEWine just said Ohio is on fire , meaning COVID 19 is running rampant. most people on here there only worried about a ball game, but school boards has to step up and stop and protect the teachers, staff, kids, parents etc. every life matters. Wear a mask, social distance, wash hands, avoid crowds, keep your family safe by following guidelines. Until a vaccine is out to public, earliest would be Sept of 2021 to even think of gradually opening up life as we knew it. school Districts need to step up and do what’s right, keep every one safe.
Well, it's not really "on fire" until after 10pm and before 5am. The virus prefers 3rd shift. Kind of like Santa Clause. :oops:

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Prime Time wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:15 pm We are in trouble! I hope all school districts, and school boards come to there senses and and go remote until June of 2021. Franklin County in purple now, Gov DEWine just said Ohio is on fire , meaning COVID 19 is running rampant. most people on here there only worried about a ball game, but school boards has to step up and stop and protect the teachers, staff, kids, parents etc. every life matters. Wear a mask, social distance, wash hands, avoid crowds, keep your family safe by following guidelines. Until a vaccine is out to public, earliest would be Sept of 2021 to even think of gradually opening up life as we knew it. school Districts need to step up and do what’s right, keep every one safe.
Cases are spiking because healthy people are being forced to get tested to return to work and school. Death rates have been curbed for months. It’s ok to come out your mommas basement. On second thought, stay there.

Return to “Boys Basketball”