2/24 (2) Logan Elm vs. (7) Athens - D2 Logan

ztpioneers1
Riding the Bench

Re: 2/24 (2) Logan Elm vs. (7) Athens - D2 Logan

Post by ztpioneers1 »

This is a good win for Athens. Logan Elm couldn't get it done and sometimes this happens in sports. That is why they play the games! Even though the Southeast District D2 teams have seedings 1-10, I don't think any of that matters this year. 6 vs 7 will play in the district with a chance to advance to the finals. I don't want to knock any of the SE D2 teams, but it is waaayy down. JMO

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

defenserules wrote:what was athens overall record?? and record/place in tvc??
here is Athens stuff ... http://trivalleyconference.com/Athens.html

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Jesco White wrote:WOW!!! Congrats to Athens!!

I bet 93Bulldog is going absolutely nuts right now!!!!!! :lol:

This is why you absolutely have to love tournament basketball!!
lol ... I was at the game!

VC losing brought me back to Earth ... But I'm still in the clouds ... :mrgreen:

defenserules
Riding the Bench

Post by defenserules »

thanks 93!!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

No problem

Some pictures from tonights game ... http://www.facebook.com/tvcohio

Gib25
Varsity

Post by Gib25 »

Athens wins 40-38! Great defensive game by both teams. Athens match-up zone caused many problems for the Braves and man pressure by Logan Elm hurt the Bulldogs, but in the end, the Bulldogs pulled it out. Nick Stanley led Athens with 13 points and 8 rebounds. Joe Burrow had 11 and Josh Skinner had 8. Dillon Young had 12 for the Braves, Anthony Vagnier had 8 and Blake Riffle 7. On to the Convo! GO BULLDOGS

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Couldn't have asked for a better game than the Athens vs Logan Elm contest at Jim's Gym in the Logan Sectional ... low scoring BUT chalked full of excitement ... Congratulations to Coach Skinner and the Athens Bulldogs on the BIG "W" 40-38 ... this might be one of the best coaching jobs I have seen by Coach Skinner - reminded me of the 19-1 season 2 years ago for the Bulldogs when Athens game in game out controlled the tempo of the game as well as anyone in Southern Ohio hoops ... tonight Coach Skinner's boyz played outstanding defense - a game ball needs to go to Kramer Simmons as he was the chaser in the Athens Box and 1 zone D shadowing the big perimeter threat for Logan Elm - #1 sophomore Dillon Young ... the entire Athens squad played outstanding D tonight ... the zone with the 2 freshmen Joey Burrow/Ryan Luerhman both with great length out front forced LE into 7 first quarter TO's and limited the Braves to just 6 points ... Burrows drained 2 three balls to lead the Bulldogs ... Athens 10 Logan Elm 6 end of 1st quarter ... Quarter two had the Braves get their first and only leads of the games taking a 12-10 before Nick Stanley for AHS tied the game at 12-12 ... the 2 pointer by Stanley was the only fg/points for Athens in quarter two ... LE finished out the quarter with a Blake Riffle trey ... Logan Elm 15 Athens 12 at intermission ... Patience on the offensive end of the floor backed up by the scoring of Stanley - 8 points in the period , Josh Skinner 5 pts, and another long ball by Burrows put Coach Skinner's boyz out front to stay ... Athens 28 Logan Elm 24 end of three ... Quarter number 4 was highlighted by more Athens D, Logan Elm stayed within reach behind three pointers from Young and Anthony Vagnier ... LE put the Bulldogs on the free throw line for 13 attempts in the quarter with the Bulldogs hitting on 6 of their tries which turned out to be just enough as a Riffle trey fell short for the win, and a Heeter putback hit off the front rim - game over Athens 40 Logan Elm 38 a final ...

... Pfloyd's Official/UNofficial Napkin Stats - Logan Elm ...

Scoring : Dillon Young 11, Anthony Vagnier 8, Blake Riffle 7, Cody Heeter 6, Eli Pritchard 5

3-pointers : 4/18 ... Young 2, Riffle 1, Vagnier 1

FTs : 5/10

TO's : 12

ATR : 5

T: 1

... Logan Elm seemed stymied by the Athens defense all night ... getting out the gate with 7 TOs and only 6 points in the first quarter ... the Braves weren't able to get to the rim with any consistency finishing only 5 buckets at the rim with but 4 in the flow of the offense ... congratulations to Coach Stiverson and his staff on another good season of hoops ...

...Pfloyd's Official/UNofficial Napkin Stats - Athens ...

Scoring : Nick Stanley 13, Joey Burrow 11, Josh Skinner 8, Kramer Simmons 5, Ryan Leurhman 3

3-pointers : 4/10 ... Burrows 3, Skinner 1

FTs : 8/15 ... 6/13 in the 4th quarter ...

TOs : 15

ATR : 8

T: 0

Great game plan by Coach Skinner, outstanding execution by the players, it all adds up to "Surviving and Advancing" in the "one and done" season ... Athens will take on Circleville in their Convo matchup ... the Roundtown boyz are a mirror image of the Logan Elm squad ... low scoring team, that is patient with the ball on the offensive end, solid defensively with their goal to hold their opponent under 50 for the "W" ... a good draw for the Bulldogs imo ... Congratulations to Coach Skinner and the Athens players best of luck on your trip to the Convo ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I may be bias here ... But that may have been your best 're-cap' all season Floyd ... lol

hardwoodheroes
Freshman Team

Post by hardwoodheroes »

http://woub.org/2012/02/25/athens-conti ... ion-center

The Athens Bulldogs pulled the upset Friday night, and Hardwood Heroes was there to cover the action.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Congrats to Athens on a good win. The Bulldogs came out the aggressor and set the tone, and frankly, made the Braves play their game. LE, to its credit came back to take the lead at halftime, but Athens had a strong third. That is the most pass deflections I've seen against LE all year, and Athens also had an advantage on the boards.

LE has been up-and-down all season. When they are on, they are a good team. When they are off, they are very beatable. The latter was the case against Athens, but give the Bulldogs at least some of the credit for the Braves being off.

Also nice to meet 93Dog and talk ball for a bit. Have to maybe catch up with pfloyd at Basketball 30.

On D2 ball in the district - I think it is about what it usually is with the exception of the top. We don't have those one or two real dominant teams this year, which is where we are down. Everyone has some holes, with Chilli and Warren the most complete teams of the bunch.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

My bad bman ... I was talking with Floyd off-and-on all night - he was up in the stands ... I just got caught up in the action & forgot to point him out ... lol ... I'm sure you will see him at the Convo though - the guy rarely misses a game their ... I gotta give you props too bman, I know you wanted Logan Elm to win - but I heard nothing but positive comments from you after the game - very gracious in defeat I must say!

I'm sure I will bump into you Wednesday.

Intresting question though - and I'm going to put you on the spot here: After informing me where you graduated from - and filling me in on where you work now - do you cheer 'for' Circleville or 'against'? ... lol ... if its against, we would be glad to have another fan on the Bulldogs bandwagon next week.

Ty Webb
All State

Post by Ty Webb »

Congrats to The Bulldogs and Coach Skinner. The Bulldogs are playing really good ball right and should be a good matchup against Roundtown Wednesday at the Convo.

Good to talk to my buddy 93Bulldog after the game and spend some time hanging out with Pfloyd.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Ty Webb wrote:Congrats to The Bulldogs and Coach Skinner. The Bulldogs are playing really good ball right and should be a good matchup against Roundtown Wednesday at the Convo.

Good to talk to my buddy 93Bulldog after the game and spend some time hanging out with Pfloyd.
Don't forget about Mrs. Floyd too Ty Webb ... She's fun to talk with as well - talk about a real 'sport' - being dragged around all over southeastern Ohio by her husband to watch high school basketball games ... lol ... I can't immagine what she was thinking when Floyd made her tag along on his trip to Crown City to watch South Gallia & Symmes Valley ...

:mrgreen:

Ty Webb
All State

Post by Ty Webb »

You're right. I enjoyed talking to her too. She's definitely a trooper for putting up with Purple Hippo!

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

I'm sure we'll catch up at Basketball 30 for the Roundtown-Athens game, which should be another good one.

I call it as I see it no matter what, so I'm objective there, but I like to see our area schools do well. Kind of hard not to being around it so much and watching the kids grow up during their high school years and working with the coaches year after year.

As for the Roundtown-Logan Elm rivalry, it is a friendly one for the most part. When LE does well, a lot of Circleville folks follow and sit with the LE folks and vice versa as is the case this year.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... always good to run into 93dog and his camera out and about in TVC land ... it was a pleasure to meet Ty Webb as he made his way up to the Cheap Seats to introduce himself to Pfloyd ... Ty Webb knows his hoops, definitely has that radio/podcast voice as well ... and IF you didn't catch all of the Vinton County Podcasts that Ty Webb puts out every week during the season - you have missed tons of great hoops information from VC country AND the TVC in general ... great job Ty Webb along with Coach Combs from VC ... hopefully we will catch up to each other at the Convo in the next 3 weeks ...

bman ... you're one of those guys who hang out around the "fringes" of the basketball court the whole game !!! you never make it into the rare air of the Cheap Seats ... you have connections that get you down on the floor, up close and personal to the game action ! ... I will definitely make the effort to run into you at the Convo ...

LoganElm_grad09
Varsity

Post by LoganElm_grad09 »

I was unable to catch the game, but congrats to Athens on the win. Good luck at the Convo this week!

Another good season for Logan Elm. Disappointing that we didn't get to the Convo again, but as Coach Stiverson said, it's a life lesson.

I wonder what kind of crowd with be in the Convo from Athens.

Return to “Boys Basketball”