Hoops Invitational @ Convo 12-15

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

pfloyd,
sounds like a lot of fouls and turnovers. did north adams' press cause waterford a lot of problems?

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

ONE - I have no skin in this game.

Two - Probably one of the most poorly officiated games that I've watched in a long time. This crew didn't know which way was up, down, who took a time out, which team got the last jump ball, and just some incredibly bad calls FOR BOTH TEAMS.

North Adams used their guards to their advantage in the second half, and played a very nice game. Their coach always pushes the envelope with the refs, and it caught up with this sad crew today, as they threw him out and it nearly cost the devils the game, however, they survived.

NA had no answer for Cunningham, you can't coach or teach 6'9". Too bad that H2OFord didn't use his height to their advantage in their set offense.

I was really impressed with the athleticism of the Hendershot kid from Waterford, he needs to get the ball more in positions where he can score. Again, NA really did not have an answer for him, when he asserted himself and used his athletic ability.

North Adams guards (#20 really jacked it up in the second half) exploited the Wildcats again and again, both on offense, and with their press. That, in my opinion, was the difference tonight.

It was a fun game to watch, as a completely unbiased observer...

Doing someone else's Dirty Work....
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Young got ejected???

Who were the officials.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Ironman -

Yes, he got ejected. And I have never seen any of this crew before, and hope that I don't see them again, as they were pathetic.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I'll find out I'm sure.

Does this mean a 2 game suspension...or am I making this up?

g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

Vinton vs Huntington-Cancelled due to weather?

I'm curious...

Wouldn't Ross Southeastern have driven through McArthur and Vinton County to get to the Convo?

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

GW - I talked to some of the SE Ross fans, and yes, they drove straight through McArthur and Vinton County with little difficulty. Just some slush on the roads for awhile, from what I was told...... :roll:

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

if vinton county does not make up this game with huntington ross they will sure lose a lot of crediblity especially after what they pulled last year.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Sparky - The make up would be with Huntington, WV, not Huntington Ross.

Now, my other observations of the day.........

Best boys player >>>>>>>Mike Lamb from Fairland. He was head and shoulders above any other players that I saw today, before I left.

Best girls player - I can only choose on what I saw, as I didn't see Oak Hill vs. Alex. So, since I didn't see both games, I can't choose the "Best".....

That being said, out of the girls that I saw, the King girl from Waterford is really a nice player, as is #32.

From Eastern Brown girls, man, you've got a couple of excellent post players with some dandy moves. #41 and #35 both impressed me a great deal.

Eastern Brown girls team just lacks the overall talent/depth to beat a team like Waterford, but are very close.

Fairland - very nice team. You've got some kids that can play, but #33 stood out the most.

North Adams - Your guard play, again, was the difference maker. For your big men, #50 impressed me with his footwork and patience in working against a player four or five inches taller.

It was a fun day of basketball, too bad not all of the teams that were supposed to participate got to play today......

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

sparky wrote:if vinton county does not make up this game with huntington ross they will sure lose a lot of crediblity especially after what they pulled last year.

Yes, but what are the odds that the game is made up on an afternoon immediately following a tough road win on the previous night?

BTW Steely, I was stretching it a bit about Waterford. :-D I basically meant they are simply not in VC's or FH's class without the big man IMO. However, with him, they can easily beat either one of them, except VC has more depth in the paint to deal with the big guy. FH seems thin to me. Again, just my opinion.

I say take Guthrie away and take Cunningham away and VC wins by 20, and I say that while feeling that Guthrie is the best player I have seen all year. Like you said, you just can't teach 6'9", and Cunningham's mere presence makes the other guys look better. NY played right with the Wildcats when he was on the bench, but they lost by 30+ when the time with him is added on to the final score. VC just worked NY every which way.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Westfall won by about 20 to finish off the night, btw. Since no one seemed to have stayed for that one.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Sorry CJ, I was talking in my sleep again........ :lol:

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... the cancelation of the VC vs Huntington game really messed up the "crowd" today ... I left after the North Adams game ... couldn't sit around for 2 hours+ before the 7:30 start of the Alexander vs the Buffalo soldiers ... otherwise I would have been there for the duration - Sportfolio may have been the last man standing at the Convo tonight after the Westfall vs Peebles contest ...

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

pfloyd wrote:... the cancelation of the VC vs Huntington game really messed up the "crowd" today ... I left after the North Adams game ... couldn't sit around for 2 hours+ before the 7:30 start of the Alexander vs the Buffalo soldiers ... otherwise I would have been there for the duration - Sportfolio may have been the last man standing at the Convo tonight after the Westfall vs Peebles contest ...

You mean, last man sleeping, right? :lol:

garyberteir2
Waterboy

convo

Post by garyberteir2 »

Just saying thanks to the organizers of the tournament. Eerything was first class. We truly appreciated the invite. Too bad we can't make it back next year (the tourney will be before WV schools can play). I thought all of the people from Alexander did a great job of putting on the tourney. Was it just me or did the announcer take a dig at Vinton County when he thanked us for making the trip all the way from WV.

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

anymore details about the north adams vs waterford game and the facts about coach young getting the heave ho? if it is true it is a surprise because he seems to work the officials real well but also seems to know when to back off.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Any scores from Westfall/Peebles or Alexander/Buffalo?

garyberteir2
Waterboy

Post by garyberteir2 »

danicalifornia wrote:Any scores from Westfall/Peebles or Alexander/Buffalo?

Buffalo over Alexander by about 8. Buffalo hadn't practiced in 4 days because of high water and a power outage. The cancellation of the game before probably helped a lot since the boys could at least get some shooting in.

sportfolio
JV Team

Post by sportfolio »

Some of this information is covered elsewhere, but here are the scores and top scorers:

Oak Hill girls 54, Alexander girls 31
Oak Hill - Karissa Adkins 22, Karla Moore 12
Alexander - Whitney Smith 9

Waterford girls 61, Eastern Brown girls 52
Waterford - Sina King 23, Jessi Drayer 15, Britany Brown 14
Eastern - Bobbi Brown 13, Ariana Bowles 12

Eastern Brown 49, Minford 37
Eastern - Jarod Snider 16, Tyler Knabb 12
Minford - Sean Smith 18

Fairland 71, Southeastern 34
Fairland - Michael Lamb 22, Dustin Bumgardner 11
Southeastern - Kyle Prater 12

North Adams 60, Waterford 55
North Adams - Kraig Unger 27, Tyler Rothwell 10
Waterford - D. J. Cunningham 17, Brandon Henderson 12

Unger was 17-17 in free throws for the game including 11-11 in the fourth quarter. North Adams trailed 37-34 going to the fourth quarter but made 16 of 21 free throws in the fourth quarter and 31 of 41 for the game. Waterford had to foul down the stretch and North Adams stayed ahead once they gained the lead.

Buffalo, W. Va. 62, Alexander 53
Buffalo - Adam Scott 20, Austin Lewis 15, Garrett Burdette 11
Alexander - Greg Frost 19

Westfall 76, Peebles 53
Westfall - Bryant Gibson 21, Bryan Boring 19, Tyler Kristen 12
Peebles - Tyler Arnold 17, Blake Justice 13, Andrew Seaman 10

They are hoping to re-schedule that game sometime at the Ohio University-Chillicothe gymnasium to help out the proceeds from the event.

Return to “Boys Basketball”