TVC-Hocking 2013-2014

EaglePride
Waterboy

Re: TVC Hocking

Post by EaglePride »

I coached him in AAU and workout with him everyday. He wouldn't like me "boasting" about him. He said he would rather be unknown until the season. And he talked to me about playing football and he lifted and trained with the football team and from what I was told they wanted him to start WR and CB but we talked and we both thought it was better if he didn't due to the risk of injury. He said he knew he was disappoint a lot of people with his choice and so far that's true. If I didn't think he was good enough I would waste my time defending him.

EaglePride
Waterboy

Post by EaglePride »

Super Trooper wrote:The preseason Player of the Year is playing football? Findlay can't like that
You would think the person with the eastern profile picture would be happy about a kid from eastern busting
It to win for his school.

Golfer101
JV Team

Post by Golfer101 »

Eagle Pride I would think an AAU coach would be bright enough to know that any player who fills out a basketball questioner is going to get a letter back from that school. Most players who have not played any varsity basketball before their senior season aren't going to get college looks without they are 6'10. What is wrong with proving yourself as a player first than do your talking. People will take you seriously than not before.

Super Fresh
Freshman Team

Post by Super Fresh »

Fred G. Sanford wrote:Eagle Pride I would think an AAU coach would be bright enough to know that any player who fills out a basketball questioner is going to get a letter back from that school. Most players who have not played any varsity basketball before their senior season aren't going to get college looks without they are 6'10. What is wrong with proving yourself as a player first than do your talking. People will take you seriously than not before.
Very well said

CoachBrittonFL
Freshman Team

Post by CoachBrittonFL »

I have to agree with Fred. Plus playing the in the AAU championships in Mrytle Beach? I know for a fact that the biggest tournaments are in Orlando and Vegas and Speice Center in Indy. Yes I know they are everywhere but from my experience working with college teams our coaches were always in the those 3 places never did I hear them going to myrtle beach other than for vacation . As for him being recruited all I have to say is Max Carnahan was the best guard in the TVC last year and only went to Ohio Valley. I have no idea if hes a walk on or scholorship player. Most of the D2 D3 colleges are sending out questioniers. Fill them out they get thrown in a pile. Most d3 schools will bring in 20-25 freshman, most of them being cut, it is part of their jobs to bring in kids to go to school. Findlay is one of the best d2 programs in the country so I think it would be a stretch for them to have interest in a kid that has played very little varsity basketball. Who knows maybe he will have a great year, but I do not think he is anywhere as talented as the Carnahan kid was last year.

EaglePride
Waterboy

Post by EaglePride »

From what I've seen he's getting invitations from Findlay. Also he started his sophomore year on varsity. And started as the PG with Carnahan at the SG. He had surgery on both feet. So he had to end his season early. Wolfe is more athletic but isn't the shooter carnaham is. Also carnaham didn't do AAU. The tournament was hosted by the USBA. You can look it up. Jay Williams was there and over 2000 players. One from Dubai and a couple from Canada.

newlex/sheridan
Varsity

Post by newlex/sheridan »

Very limited playing time and scholarship opportunities at powerful division two programs like Findlay and West Liberty. They are better than several division one programs, heck Findlay beat Ohio State in a preseason game not all that long ago. I haven't heard of this kid but hopefully he is healthy and has a great year. I do know that I watch a lot of basketball around Ohio and the only southeastern Ohio kids that I've seen that potentially could be on Findlay's radar would be the kids from Warren Local and my brothers point guard from Caldwell who is at the cusp of already going over 1,000 points and is as good a point guard as you will see anywhere this year. He has garnered interest from Findlay, they attended team camp there for the coaches to see him. He is only 5'10 and as good as he is I know my brother is pushing him toward looking elsewhere and making his decision based on academics because at that level it's a full time job and realistically he'd have his work cut out for him getting on the floor there. I know that the Kaufman kid from Hiland, who is probably the best player they've ever had and a 6'5 shooting guard, barely played there this year until tournament time. It's a completely different level.

Golfer101
JV Team

Post by Golfer101 »

EaglePride wrote:From what I've seen he's getting invitations from Findlay. Also he started his sophomore year on varsity. And started as the PG with Carnahan at the SG. He had surgery on both feet. So he had to end his season early. Wolfe is more athletic but isn't the shooter carnaham is. Also carnaham didn't do AAU. The tournament was hosted by the USBA. You can look it up. Jay Williams was there and over 2000 players. One from Dubai and a couple from Canada.

If you are a small player you better be one hell of a shooter if you are going to play D2 or D3 basketball. There has been a lot of very athletic players out of the TVC that has not went on to play D2 ball. Players who everyone knew and thought were athletic. I could be wrong but I seriously doubt Coach Ernst is looking at anyone in the Hocking this year.

Fighting_Scots1
Freshman Team

Post by Fighting_Scots1 »

I agree with Fred G. Sanford, BigShooter, and Super Fresh ... No offense to Grayson - he is a great kid, but his skills are not at that level. Findlay is a big dog - and they can get any D1 leftover they want and sometimes even lure a D1 caliber kid that knows he will get more PT and have a better opportunity to win a National Championship rather than playing low to mid major and not having that opportunity. There isn't a kid in the TVC that would be able to make a D2 roster right now that I know of - unless there is some stud out there that I am unaware of. Wolfe not near Carnahan's level at this point, but he is coachable and he does work hard. Grayson played in our program - and I hope that he wouldn't take offense to my stance here, but I try to be realistic for the kids sake without pumping them up just for them to fall flat on their face. Hopefully this will completely smother the idea anyone has as to what level he is at presently.

EaglePride
Waterboy

Post by EaglePride »

If this is the coach I'm thinking of then Greyson tells me how he really likes your coaching style. Yes he knows his offense isn't up to par. That's what he's been doing everyday. 200 made 3s a day. He goes to the Elite SportsCenter or to eastern but he gets his 200 makes. I think he would like if you would go to one of his games this year. All I heard from him was how fun AAU was this year and how much he's improved. OV Hidden Gems is a great
t AAU program. He said he coaches are great and the players are get competition.

Billybob55
JV Team

Post by Billybob55 »

I find it odd that nobody but Eastern people know about this kid....

sportslifelove
Freshman Team

Post by sportslifelove »

TVC "player of the year" will be either Wolfe from Southern or Greer from South Gallia and it's possible that they share the award for the next 2 years. While Wolfe isn't the pure shooter that Carnahan was, NOBODY works harder than Wolfe on the court on both ends. He has a motor that just never stops. And Greer does things with the ball that you can't believe a high school player can do.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

he better learn to use his right hand, pretty good player southern has

Fighting_Scots1
Freshman Team

Post by Fighting_Scots1 »

POY will come down to Tristen Wolfe (Southern HS) and Nick Therriault (Belpre HS) in my opinion. I'm not as familiar with the Greer kid from South Gallia though. I also like Elijah Rader (Miller HS). That's from the outside looking in, knowing the little I know about the TVC. Having coached Therriault, I can tell you he will be hard for the league to handle this year if he works the way he needs to, which I am sure Coach Thornhill will see to that.

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

Fighting_Scots1 wrote:POY will come down to Tristen Wolfe (Southern HS) and Nick Therriault (Belpre HS) in my opinion. I'm not as familiar with the Greer kid from South Gallia though. I also like Elijah Rader (Miller HS). That's from the outside looking in, knowing the little I know about the TVC. Having coached Therriault, I can tell you he will be hard for the league to handle this year if he works the way he needs to, which I am sure Coach Thornhill will see to that.
Wholeheartedly agree about Therriaut. Will also say that I think Belpre will win the Hocking. Belpre will add 4 kids that could be as talented as any in the TVC Hocking. Sophomores Tavian Miller and 6'5" Nathan Mason along with Freshman Logan Plummer and DeJon Degood will add instant offense for the Golden Eagles. Tavian Miller is not only just a talented football athlete that happens to play basketball, Belpre's starting QB and an All District selection as a Freshmen, he is a PLAYER!!! I saw him play with Belpre over the summer and he is still pretty darn good. DeJon Degood is another talent that will add fuel to the Belpre tank. This kid shoots lights out and can jump outta the gym. Coach Thornhill will do a GREAT job of coaching the kids up and WHOEVER wins the league championship will have to go thru the Belpre Eagles. As the young talented crew gains experience they will make Therriaut that much more of a weapon.

Futurebkstar
All State

Post by Futurebkstar »

South Gallia will contend. They have the best division IV point guard in the league. Plus they will have their big man spurlock back. Hutchinson, wheeler, and etc are scrappers and swain, lucas, and ehman are shooters. They were in about every game last season and return about everyone.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

The Hocking should be fun to watch this year ... don't sleep on Trimble either ... they may not get going until late December with their football team making a run in the playoffs - but when they do - they will be tough ... every player back, plus a JV team that went 21-1 (only reason they didn't go 22-0 was because of players being moved up the last game.) ... 6'2 Jacob Koons is a nice player, PG Konner Standley has been running point for years, 6'5 Micah Couch came on strong down the stretch ... Jake Kish, Wyatt Bragg, Dallas Slack, Jimmy Ward, Austin Downs all return ... but the biggest gain will come from sophomore guard Justice Jenkins, the kid can flat out play!

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

93Bulldog wrote:The Hocking should be fun to watch this year ... don't sleep on Trimble either ... they may not get going until late December with their football team making a run in the playoffs - but when they do - they will be tough ... every player back, plus a JV team that went 21-1 (only reason they didn't go 22-0 was because of players being moved up the last game.) ... 6'2 Jacob Koons is a nice player, PG Konner Standley has been running point for years, 6'5 Micah Couch came on strong down the stretch ... Jake Kish, Wyatt Bragg, Dallas Slack, Jimmy Ward, Austin Downs all return ... but the biggest gain will come from sophomore guard Justice Jenkins, the kid can flat out play!
93Dog I glad they don't play is the SEOAL :)
Seriously I do think that Trimble will be pretty good. ANYTIME you got a Jenkins from Trimble you know that kid is prolly gonna be good. Whoever does the best job of holding serve at home will win the TVC Hocking.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I keep hearing that Justice is the best Jenkins of them all when it comes to the hardwood WarriorBlue ... I won't believe it until I see it ... A.J. was one of the better PG's I've seen over the last 10 years.

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

93Bulldog wrote:I keep hearing that Justice is the best Jenkins of them all when it comes to the hardwood WarriorBlue ... I won't believe it until I see it ... A.J. was one of the better PG's I've seen over the last 10 years.
If I'm not mistaken I think he played in the TVC Alumni Tournament this past March. My guys from Belpre defeated a pretty darn good Trimble team. I think I'm gonna have to bring Pat Klein in for nexts years tourney. Trying to keep that trophy in Belpre for a awhile.
Dog..... Outta get some of that Alumni stuff on TRIVALLEYCONFERENCE.com

Return to “Boys Basketball”