South Webster @ Portsmouth 12/8

Winner?

Poll ended at Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:41 pm

Total votes: 0

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Re: South Webster @ Portsmouth 12/8

Post by biggdowgg »

Portsmouth played as ugly as I have seen,,,way to many UNFORCED turnovers.

congrats to webster and ,congrats on the LOOP kid from webster, we had no snwer for him.

Trojans will be in South Point friday.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... @ the Point Friday will be a tough W to come-by for the Trojans ... BUT the most improvement comes after game one - we will see ...

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Great win for the Jeeps! They proved me wrong like I hoped they would. Portsmouth will get better as the season goes on (especially if they get Horne and McKinley back). But this is the kind of win for Webster that'll give them confidence to compete against teams like Oak Hill and Wheelersburg. Congrats to Coach Ater and the Jeeps.*

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

I still look for this team to win some games this season,,just got off to an ugly start,Forrest Johnson did not play in any of our scrimmages ,and it showed tonight.

on a positive, everyone keeps pointing out we dont have a big man to play down low,but Trey Underwood had a huge game,with 16 or 17 points down low tonight...Im still interested in seeing our turnover numbers,way to many silly passes.

but Pfloyd is right,,,always tough going to the Point

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

art_vandelay wrote:Great win for the Jeeps! They proved me wrong like I hoped they would. Portsmouth will get better as the season goes on (especially if they get Horne and McKinley back). But this is the kind of win for Webster that'll give them confidence to compete against teams like Oak Hill and Wheelersburg. Congrats to Coach Ater and the Jeeps.*

and also Mason Jordan,,,these are 3 kids that could very well get a starting position,or at least a lot of playing time

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

dowgg: forgot about Jordan, but yeah, add those 3 to Portsmouth's rotation (or even just 2 of the 3) and they'll be fine by season's end if/when the guards can cut down on the turnovers.*

jgordon0315
JV Team

Post by jgordon0315 »

Was at the game and I must say this...Portsmouth had so so guard play. Tre Underwood was a monster inside however, the Trojans played fast and in a hurry They need to play fast but not in a hurry. Wayne Evans was aggressive and made some good plays and some bad ones but you can live with that. It was the careless turnovers that were our downfall not to mention Fo couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. The Trojans made their run in the second period with the halfcourt trap. They couldn't get no closer than 4 after falling behind big early on. I don't know if it was because it was our first game and the jeeps second or if it's a sign of things to come but Coach Collins needs to address what lineup is the best lineup to get us off to a better start. If they can keep there heads up and learn how to play winning basketball they could be all right. Let's not write this group off yet.

southernohiofan
JV Team

Post by southernohiofan »

wow, i thought portsmouth would win this one but reading some of the post sounds like webster is playing well and portsmouth is without alot of talent, dont know the reasons why johnson is seeing his first action but that has struggle all over it. i do think after seeing webster at the previews they will be hard to press scott is the real deal for a point guard. good luck to both teams

independent2012
Freshman Team

Post by independent2012 »

I would like to see Portsmouth hang in there and continue to work hard,I have heard that there is some talent,but little varsity experience,that plays a huge role in high school basketball.

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

very true independent. Why wasnt Johnson on the floor in the pre-season?

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Congratulations to the Jeeps on the win........SW will be a difficult opponent for any team in the SOC II this season.......they have a good chance at having a winning season.

As many have said, turnovers really hurt the Trojans, costing them shots and points......some were forced and some were unforced, but in the end PHS didn't put the ball in the basket enough.........with all the problems offensively, we were only down 5 with a minute to go.........the defense kept us in the game.........I love the defense......yes, we gave up a few too many layups in the first quarter, but after that we settled down and SW only scored 31 points the last 3 quarters.

Tre Underwood had a big game for PHS with 17 points, while Wayne Evans chipped in with 12.......Tre looks to be vastly improved offensively and he is a workhorse on the boards at both ends.......I liked him trying to take a couple of charges also.

With the first eyeball test, we appear to be a defensive minded team.......something that we have lacked for YEARS.......thank goodness Coach Collins is bringing that back to Portsmouth basketball.......defense will keep us in most games if we play it like that.......just keep playing that type of D, execute better offensively, cut down on turnovers and we will see the Trojans improve as the season goes.
Last edited by trojandave on Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Let's go PSU: Forrest didn't play in the scrimmages because of some off the court issues that needed to be resolved........part of Coach Collins' discipline........those issues have been addressed and he is back playing.

claypantherfan
All State

Post by claypantherfan »

Congrats to South Webster I didnot think they would have won this game but I was wrong they seem to have a good team there and good luck to them through out the season until you play Clay again ...lol

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

It sounds like SW brought the Trojans a gift,,,a huge wake up call!!!!

Ex-Huddler
Waterboy

Post by Ex-Huddler »

SW is not a bad team. Portsmouth should not feel bad losing to them. Give Coach Collins some time and will bring back the Trojans of old. He will not put up with bad attitudes and other things detrimental to the team. Good luck Gene!

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

thx for the info on Forrest Dave! Good to see Geno putting the disipline into the program. We really need more offense out of Johnson, 4 points isnt going to cut it. Underwood was close to 50% of our offensive production. Go get the Pointers!

Return to “Boys Basketball”