Is Zanesville leaving the SEOAL after the 2008-2009 season?

Philos_Finest
All Conference

Post by Philos_Finest »

Army wrote:
Zanes-Vegas wrote:Certainly, "old foes" will be tapped to go back on the schedules if another league does not take us. As far as I know, bridges were not burned when we opted to join the SEOAL.

The funny thing about Steubenville is that the TIME of the drive is about the same as it is to Logan, as just one example.

I hope you don't forget your old C.O.L. and present SEOAL friend Chillicothe on some of those FOOTBALL AND BASKETBALL schedules :!: :-D

To bad we couldn't revamp the C.O.L. and add Logan to that mix. :-D

C.O.L. West
Chillicothe D3
Upper Arlington D1
Lancaster D1
Logan D2
Newark D1

C.O.L. East
Zanesville D2
Coshocton D4
Cambridge D3
Dover D3
Marietta D2

But you know how that goes......keep dreaming right :?: :-D

Drop Coshocton out of there & pick up Tri-Valley who is also D-2 & it's a possibility ;-)

Army
S

Post by Army »

Philos_Finest wrote:
Army wrote:
Zanes-Vegas wrote:Certainly, "old foes" will be tapped to go back on the schedules if another league does not take us. As far as I know, bridges were not burned when we opted to join the SEOAL.

The funny thing about Steubenville is that the TIME of the drive is about the same as it is to Logan, as just one example.

I hope you don't forget your old C.O.L. and present SEOAL friend Chillicothe on some of those FOOTBALL AND BASKETBALL schedules :!: :-D

To bad we couldn't revamp the C.O.L. and add Logan to that mix. :-D

C.O.L. West
Chillicothe D3
Upper Arlington D1
Lancaster D1
Logan D2
Newark D1

C.O.L. East
Zanesville D2
Coshocton D4
Cambridge D3
Dover D3
Marietta D2

But you know how that goes......keep dreaming right :?: :-D

Drop Coshocton out of there & pick up Tri-Valley who is also D-2 & it's a possibility ;-)

Philos_Finest,

Yeah that would be a great choice :!: :-D

I doubt that Upper Arlington, Lancaster or Newark would leave the OCC though. :-D

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

But do those leagues want those schools? The MVL doesn't want Zanesville.

Army
S

Post by Army »

Gilligan wrote:Maybe the SEAOL should just disband. There are other leagues that would be perfect fits for all the schools.

Portsmouth - SOC
Jackson - SOC or TVC
Gallia - OVC or TVC
Ironton - OVC
Chillicothe - SVC
Athens - already going to the TVC
Logan - MSL, OCC or MVL
Warren - MVL or PVC
Marietta - MVL or PVC
Zanesville - MVL

Chillicothe D3.....SVC :?: :shock:

Maybe the MSL-Buckeye or SCOL but the SVC :?: :-D

Bronc21
All Conference

Post by Bronc21 »

seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Whitehatz
Waterboy

Post by Whitehatz »

It appears history is once again repeating itself for the Zanesville Blue Devils. It wasn't that long ago that Z-ville was in a league that involved quite a bit of travel, the BCC. The big factor in that league was travel expense. When the league disbanded, Z-ville became independent. That seemed like a good idea but in reality it was only good for the Basketball program because it gave Coach Aronhalt the opportunity to schedule who he wanted and he has made no secret that he wants to play the very top caliber teams he can play throughout the year to prepare his team for the playoffs.

The football program suffered though because they ran into a couple different problems. They still had to travel just as much because they had a hard time finding teams to play. They had to play a few years of what was publicized as a meat grinder schedule. When they weren't playing the meat grinders they got home games with teams from Washington DC or Canada that brought no gate receipts. There was even one year Z-ville only played a nine game schedule because they couldn't fill a week.

The non revenue sports lost the added motivation for the student-athletes of winning a league title. While it is true that with the state playoffs receiving so much hype these days it appears that league titles don't mean as much as they did back in the day but don't be fooled, most coaches use anything they can for motivation.

I do hope Z-ville gets in the ECOL because it would be a great fit. Less travel, more natural rivals, bigger gate receipts and a very competitive league for all sports. But alas, from what history has taught us, the ECOL will probably once again keep Zanesville on the outside looking in and history will once again repeat itself.

Army
S

Post by Army »

Whitehatz wrote:It appears history is once again repeating itself for the Zanesville Blue Devils. It wasn't that long ago that Z-ville was in a league that involved quite a bit of travel, the BCC. The big factor in that league was travel expense. When the league disbanded, Z-ville became independent. That seemed like a good idea but in reality it was only good for the Basketball program because it gave Coach Aronhalt the opportunity to schedule who he wanted and he has made no secret that he wants to play the very top caliber teams he can play throughout the year to prepare his team for the playoffs.

The football program suffered though because they ran into a couple different problems. They still had to travel just as much because they had a hard time finding teams to play. They had to play a few years of what was publicized as a meat grinder schedule. When they weren't playing the meat grinders they got home games with teams from Washington DC or Canada that brought no gate receipts. There was even one year Z-ville only played a nine game schedule because they couldn't fill a week.

The non revenue sports lost the added motivation for the student-athletes of winning a league title. While it is true that with the state playoffs receiving so much hype these days it appears that league titles don't mean as much as they did back in the day but don't be fooled, most coaches use anything they can for motivation.

I do hope Z-ville gets in the ECOL because it would be a great fit. Less travel, more natural rivals, bigger gate receipts and a very competitive league for all sports. But alas, from what history has taught us, the ECOL will probably once again keep Zanesville on the outside looking in and history will once again repeat itself.

Sorry to hear that. WOW :!: :shock:

Rumor has it....that if the ECOL says no again, another option being explored at Zanesville is, that the Blue Devils already have been in preliminary talks with Marietta another SEOAL-North Division Team along with OVAC Teams, John Marshall, Steubenville, Brooke and Wheeling Park, WV to form a Football....and....Basketball League.

I guess the rest of the minor sports would play for OVAC Championships :?:

Whitehatz
Waterboy

Post by Whitehatz »

Rumor has it....that if the ECOL says no again, another option being explored at Zanesville is, that the Blue Devils already have been in preliminary talks with Marietta another SEOAL-North Division Team along with OVAC Teams, John Marshall, Steubenville, Brooke and Wheeling Park, WV to form a Football....and....Basketball League.

I guess the rest of the minor sports would play for OVAC Championships

I have talked to a school board member and there have been no prelimnary talks as of yet but, you are correct that this scenario is a possibility. Mr. Aronhalt and the school board are diligently coming up with contigency plans if the ECOL does not let Zanesville in.

The problem with this scenario is that it will not be a new league, rather an agreement between OVAC schools to schedule each other in football and basketball. For those who don't know, the OVAC is set up by a point system that goes on school size. A win receives x amount of points depending on the size of school you beat and bonus points are awarded if it is against another OVAC member. I think it is possible to win the championship without playing anyone in the conference. I'm not sure but I believe that Zanesville is still an OVAC member even though they are in the SEOAL.

While the basketball and football programs would benefit from this agreement, I am sure that travel concerns will still come into play for the non revenue sports and give them only a chance to play for a fantasy title.

Army
S

Post by Army »

Whitehatz wrote:

I guess the rest of the minor sports would play for OVAC Championships

I have talked to a school board member and there have been no prelimnary talks as of yet but, you are correct that this scenario is a possibility. Mr. Aronhalt and the school board are diligently coming up with contigency plans if the ECOL does not let Zanesville in.

The problem with this scenario is that it will not be a new league, rather an agreement between OVAC schools to schedule each other in football and basketball. For those who don't know, the OVAC is set up by a point system that goes on school size. A win receives x amount of points depending on the size of school you beat and bonus points are awarded if it is against another OVAC member. I think it is possible to win the championship without playing anyone in the conference. I'm not sure but I believe that Zanesville is still an OVAC member even though they are in the SEOAL.

While the basketball and football programs would benefit from this agreement, I am sure that travel concerns will still come into play for the non revenue sports and give them only a chance to play for a fantasy title.

I hear you. :-D

Army
S

Post by Army »

Whitehatz wrote:It appears history is once again repeating itself for the Zanesville Blue Devils. It wasn't that long ago that Z-ville was in a league that involved quite a bit of travel, the BCC. The big factor in that league was travel expense. When the league disbanded, Z-ville became independent. That seemed like a good idea but in reality it was only good for the Basketball program because it gave Coach Aronhalt the opportunity to schedule who he wanted and he has made no secret that he wants to play the very top caliber teams he can play throughout the year to prepare his team for the playoffs.

Why :?:

Who are the schools most likely to vote no for Zanesville :?:

Whitehatz
Waterboy

Post by Whitehatz »

There are numerous rumors as to why Zanesville would not be allowed in, the most believable is the belief that Zanesville is too big. As far as what schools would vote no I could only speculate the smaller ones due to the belief Zanesville is too large, however this would only be my speculation to a rumor.

In other words, unless the ECOL would publicly issue a formal vote count with an official statement as to why, none of us will truly know. In fairness to the ECOL they may have well issued something in the past officially but I am not aware of anything. Maybe Zanes-Vegas can dig something up.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... didn't the ECOL vote NO to Zanesville as recently as 2 years ago? an improved football program, the same basketball program doesn't open the door for entry into this "closer league" by the Blue Devils ... the OVAC? what a joke - you can be a part of that league while a member of another league ... a phantom league title worth playing for as an athlete I'm sure ...

Return to “Boys Basketball”